PDA

View Full Version : How long before we get generic stand alone Stargate movies?

Flyboy
January 31st, 2009, 03:24 PM
There are a lot of sequel movies out there that are just cheap ways to continue using the name without having to pay the massive salaries for the lead actors. The new MGM Direct to DVD line up with "Legally Blondes" featuring a cousin of the original woman from "Legally Blonde" demonstrates this, in addition, let's take The Arrival 2, which again, focuses on a relative of the original character. Direct to DVD movies very often take this line (Starship Troopers 2)- and that doesn't always mean they're bad. Sometimes far from it.

At the moment, I think we're lucky in getting Ark Of Truth, Continuum, the third Jack centric Sg1 movie, and the SGA movie... but will it last?

Will TPTB, and more importantly, MGM and Sci Fi decide that they just want strings of Sci Fi original Stargate movies coming out for their saturday night slots? Movies that have only the support Stargate characters in the role, like Walter and (oh wow, maybe Major Davis will finally get his place in the spotlight ;)) other such secondary characters? It's theoretically possible, and considering the nature of Stargate - there's no reason we couldn't see a movie devoted to SG-3, or indeed (God Forbid -imo) The Ancients. Cheap casting - potentially good stories... maybe.

So here it is - how long do we think it'll be before that happens, and if so... would you want to watch?

Killdeer
January 31st, 2009, 03:55 PM
I have no idea how long, if ever, it'll be before that happens. I kind of doubt it personally, but maybe. Would I watch? No. It's about the characters for me, not just "Stargate". (and personally I can't stand Walter ;)). If none of my favorite characters are there, I can't imagine a single motivation to get me to watch.

Phenom
January 31st, 2009, 04:06 PM
HaHa a Walter movie!!! Thats gold.

Maybe a Sgt Syler movie where he just walks around fixing stuff for 2hrs???

Flyboy
January 31st, 2009, 04:11 PM
HaHa a Walter movie!!! Thats gold.

Maybe a Sgt Syler movie where he just walks around fixing stuff for 2hrs???
I don't mean a Walter movie...

I mean a movie with an original main cast, but still as the support cast to add continuity.

Maybe a Dixon movie?

kennythewraith
January 31st, 2009, 04:11 PM
i dont really see that happening unless brad wright and co. leave and some new group who have never done stargate before come in and ruin stargate by doing that.and i dont see MGM going down that road because next to the Bond franchise,the stargate franchise is probably its next big money maker and those types of straight to dvd movies are usually done more for regular comedy flicks.it wont work for stargate and fans would not have it

Flyboy
January 31st, 2009, 04:13 PM
i dont really see that happening unless brad wright and co. leave and some new group who have never done stargate before come in and ruin stargate by doing that.and i dont see MGM going down that road because next to the Bond franchise,the stargate franchise is probably its next big money maker and those types of straight to dvd movies are usually done more for regular comedy flicks.it wont work for stargate and fans would not have it
But if Stargate isn't that profitable at some point, surely it would be (in Sci Fi's eyes) a cheap way of getting an established audiance for a saturday night movie, but one that is open to new fans, and yet is cheap, because they'd all be relatively low budget actors.

Replicator Todd
January 31st, 2009, 04:18 PM
If the Stargte movies become Sci-fi original movies, i'm through with watching them. I love Stargate, but there is a limit.

Major_Griff
January 31st, 2009, 04:26 PM
I don't think that will happen mainly because I think they'll keep making new series and as each one ends they'll make movies for that series. But if they did decide to make a movie about SG-2 or whatever, sure I'd watch it. If it was a cool planet of the week type story just with a different team, I see no reason that it couldn't be good.

JedI Master of the Gate
January 31st, 2009, 05:15 PM
I'm looking forward to them doing this.
I would love them to expand the Stargate Franchise's Universe.
I'd love to see a movie about another SG Team, or the crew of one of the battleships or even a stoy about a battle/war/event that happened to the Gou'ald before we became a major power (ie: Pre-Movie) with the Gou'ald as the main roles.

J-Whitt Remastered
January 31st, 2009, 05:17 PM
If the Stargte movies become Sci-fi original movies, i'm through with watching them. I love Stargate, but there is a limit.

I have to agree with that statement completely.

the fifth man
January 31st, 2009, 05:59 PM
Personally, I don't see us getting movies like that. But, if we were to, depending on who they focused on, I might consider giving them a try. I certainly wouldn't rule out watching them.

Thunderbird 2
January 31st, 2009, 06:00 PM
In short?

Never gonna happen.

I say that in part because as SG1 was ending Season 9, Gateworld did an interwiew with Brad Wright and he was asked about SG1 longevity. Could it go on with new characters new cast like ER? (Or, better example, Casualty for those of us in the UK!) - The answer is no. Even then they said that doing a series about say, SG2, would not work because there is no new groundwork, covering stuff SG1 didn't already do.

Not that I personally agree with that idea - our Galaxy is a unimaginalbly massive place, and Stargate seems to have forgotten that, unlike say Star Trek and its offspring series. However that is what they said.

Anther factor is investment and budget. The economy is precarious at the moment. So I'd say the chances of a "stand alone" movie with no direct connection to SG1 or Atlantis's main characters especially in the current fiancial climate ongoing, are next to none. - The other reason is they don't need to. If push came to shove, they could draft Atlantis characters into an SG1 story and combine the two, and they have commited themselves with Universe.

The way I look at all of this is, even if SG1 if not Gate as a whole, goes badly belly up now, we have 10 solid years of tv programming, with a couple of Atlantis for good measure. Firefly, the new Knight Rider and other shows never even got to half that length!

JedI Master of the Gate
January 31st, 2009, 06:01 PM

I dout that it would become 'Sci-fi original movies'.

the fifth man
January 31st, 2009, 06:04 PM

As do I. The people behind Stargate have more class than that.;)

Orion Antreas
January 31st, 2009, 06:14 PM
There are a lot of sequel movies out there that are just cheap ways to continue using the name without having to pay the massive salaries for the lead actors. The new MGM Direct to DVD line up with "Legally Blondes" featuring a cousin of the original woman from "Legally Blonde" demonstrates this, in addition, let's take The Arrival 2, which again, focuses on a relative of the original character. Direct to DVD movies very often take this line (Starship Troopers 2)- and that doesn't always mean they're bad. Sometimes far from it.

At the moment, I think we're lucky in getting Ark Of Truth, Continuum, the third Jack centric Sg1 movie, and the SGA movie... but will it last?

Will TPTB, and more importantly, MGM and Sci Fi decide that they just want strings of Sci Fi original Stargate movies coming out for their saturday night slots? Movies that have only the support Stargate characters in the role, like Walter and (oh wow, maybe Major Davis will finally get his place in the spotlight ;)) other such secondary characters? It's theoretically possible, and considering the nature of Stargate - there's no reason we couldn't see a movie devoted to SG-3, or indeed (God Forbid -imo) The Ancients. Cheap casting - potentially good stories... maybe.

So here it is - how long do we think it'll be before that happens, and if so... would you want to watch?

Never.

If they weren't able to grab the entire cast or a majority of them, they would wait. If people moved on, they would most likely discontinue the movies.

I don't think MGM would go a place a secondary character into the 'spotlight' because that would jeopardize their franchise or at least the movies. Most likely though, they would wait for the right time when the majority of the cast was free to do a movie.

EDIT: The movies are a continuation of SG-1 and Atlantis...Therefore, it will center around SG-1 and the Atlantis team...It just wouldn't make sense to continue off of SG-1 and then write a story about SG-3. :P

Bareassedmunky
January 31st, 2009, 06:36 PM
I think if it done well, then there is no reason why not. But as Thunderbird2 pointed out above, Brad Wright doesn't think it would work to have a completely different cast. I think this is a sign that he should concentrate on SGU and let someone else come in with new ideas and that could help to expand the universe massively. The power vacuum in the Milky way now can open loads of doors for interesting stories to be told. The embryonic Jaffa nation, the Lucian Alliance, the masses of freed human slaves struggling to survive. SGU can concentrate of inderpersonal relationships, and the movies can cover broader cultural issues.

It's all well and good people saying that they watch stargate because of the characters, and would not be interested in a stargate movie with different characters, but thats incredibly short sighted - for all you know the characters they come up with could be much better. Don't shoot down the idea before the idea has even been thought of.

Anyway, the idea of the same four people saving the world over and over again is fine, but there are twentysomething other teams who are just as likely to come across a major threat on a routine mission. Telling the stories of other teams would make the universe much more real for me.

I'd rather see miniseries though - establishing the new characters and telling the story in 2 hours always seems a little too squashed for me, be it a cheap direct to DVD or a major blockbuster. A miniseries would allow for more depth in the characters and situations.

CaramelMonkey
January 31st, 2009, 07:11 PM
I'd rather see miniseries though - establishing the new characters and telling the story in 2 hours always seems a little too squashed for me, be it a cheap direct to DVD or a major blockbuster. A miniseries would allow for more depth in the characters and situations.

True! But I still really like the characters involved with the stargate franchise. I'd really like to continue seeing them in action! :D

Phenom
January 31st, 2009, 08:23 PM
I don't mean a Walter movie...

I mean a movie with an original main cast, but still as the support cast to add continuity.

Maybe a Dixon movie?

Tongue was planted firmly in cheek with my comment.

Bareassedmunky
January 31st, 2009, 08:26 PM
True! But I still really like the characters involved with the stargate franchise. I'd really like to continue seeing them in action! :D

I don't think the point is to kill off the main characters, just not limit the story telling to their adventures

Replicator Todd
January 31st, 2009, 08:26 PM
Glad so many people beleive that, i'm a worst case scenario kinda guy...:(

Valar
January 31st, 2009, 10:02 PM
I hope that one day we do get a stand-alone SG movie. I just don't see the original cast in it. 2-3 years at least before that idea is on the table and you already have Michael Shanks and Chris Judge on their 'Angels' project. Amanda with Sanctuary, RDA.... doing whatever McGuyver does in his spare time.

If and when we get a feature film, I don't see either cast in it. I honestly hope that they do a timeline type of movie where they lead up to the current cast of both series. A proper movie on how the Ancients came to be and what drove them. And make it graphic. And real. With characters that show real emotion. And dark.

magictrick
January 31st, 2009, 10:38 PM
The main thing to consider here is the time factor. Brad Wright and co. are only going to be doing the Stargate thing for so long. Sooner or later they will shelf it because they want to do something else with their lives. Will MGM and Sci-Fi even keep the Stargate franchise around after this point? Who knows.

Will a new team take over the helm and come up with something like SG-2? Who knows, but unlikely, I think they are smart enough not to drag the Stargate name through the mud with some awful spin-off. Although, something like SG-2 might be kind of cool, getting to see a completely different perspective on things from a completely different team.

Either way, I say be happy with what we've got because honestly, its been 10 yrs of SG-1, 5 seasons of Atlantis, 2 SG-1 movies, a new Stargate series, a new SG-1 movie and the first SGA movie. After all is said and done, who knows if everyone involved won't be burnt out and maybe take a break from Stargate.

darkrazer
February 1st, 2009, 01:27 AM
i would watch it just because i like SG. liking it is another story. surely depends on what it's about. there are some things i'd love to see, like a deadalus/Apollo/whatever ship story, maybe a goa'uld story from the past from the goa'ulds point of view fighting against SG-Teams preotecting whatever fancy stuff the SGC wants to get their hands on, for an insight on the goa'uld, maybe something similar about the wraith, the conquest of milkyway by the orii from their point of view.

i agree with those who realise there may be great stories available that do not need our loved heroes to be involved.
there certainly are crappy examples that failed to do any good to other franchises, but anything is possible. this is not about whether or not this is a good idea, but about the outcome and that is where i'm sceptic

Flyboy
February 1st, 2009, 04:59 AM
I think if it done well, then there is no reason why not. But as Thunderbird2 pointed out above, Brad Wright doesn't think it would work to have a completely different cast. I think this is a sign that he should concentrate on SGU and let someone else come in with new ideas and that could help to expand the universe massively. The power vacuum in the Milky way now can open loads of doors for interesting stories to be told. The embryonic Jaffa nation, the Lucian Alliance, the masses of freed human slaves struggling to survive. SGU can concentrate of inderpersonal relationships, and the movies can cover broader cultural issues.

It's all well and good people saying that they watch stargate because of the characters, and would not be interested in a stargate movie with different characters, but thats incredibly short sighted - for all you know the characters they come up with could be much better. Don't shoot down the idea before the idea has even been thought of.

Anyway, the idea of the same four people saving the world over and over again is fine, but there are twentysomething other teams who are just as likely to come across a major threat on a routine mission. Telling the stories of other teams would make the universe much more real for me.

There's a difference between a SHOW carrying on with all new actors, and having a stand alone movie with a new cast. A massive difference.

Platschu
February 1st, 2009, 07:52 AM
I prefer quailty over quantity, but I believe they couldn't make bad film after so many experience. But! I really want to see stand alone movies in the next 5-10 years. They always talked about series of DVD films, but later they can hardly film two per year. I would like to see more or at least one SG-1 and one Atlantis movie in every year! :o

Bareassedmunky
February 1st, 2009, 08:45 AM
There's a difference between a SHOW carrying on with all new actors, and having a stand alone movie with a new cast. A massive difference.

My suggestion was more to do with the fact that I didn't like atlantis as much as SG-1 and I don't like much about what I hear of SGU, so of the three series he has been behind, one I like, one I don't like and the third I am unsure of, but I am not a man of faith. I'd rather they bring in some new blood anyway and this would be a good way to see if someone could take up the reins and take it in a new direction while respecting what has gone before.

Colonel Forte
February 1st, 2009, 09:35 PM
Glad so many people beleive that, i'm a worst case scenario kinda guy...:(

I'm with you there. Remember Highlander? Did anyone else see the made for Sci-Fi Highlander 5? *shudder*

Fortunately, Stargate has always been a stronger franchise (commercially that is) and I can honestly see the primary contributors moving on sooner rather than later, but as long as it's making MGM money, they'll find someone to keep it going. Doctor Who is over 40 years old, I don't see why Stargate can't be the same way (interestingly enough, that franchise also had theatrical films that had nothing to do with the show) as long as people who are passionate about it fight for it, whether from the inside or outside.

I'd prefer to see the franchise live on as a weekly show, but the occassional movie here and there, DTV or otherwise, would be awesome too.

lunarleviathan
February 4th, 2009, 06:00 PM
I'm with you there. Remember Highlander? Did anyone else see the made for Sci-Fi Highlander 5? *shudder*

This might cause you nightmares, so be warned... At one point that movie was actually going to get a theatrical release. Even more scary, once they failed at that and had to go direct-to-TV they decided that it would be the start of a trilogy of films. Thankfully, the sale of the rights to the franchise have killed those plans.

Highlander 5... sort of like vomit being ejected from the screen right into your eyes.

amconway
February 4th, 2009, 08:11 PM
I'm not sure that we'll ever see that. It's a pretty big risk. I think as long as there is even one actor available from one of the other shows, they would have them in any movie made. Personally, I think we'll get SG-1 movies as long as Michael Shanks, Chris Judge, and Amanda Tapping are still interested in making them, and as lond as they make sufficient profit. I see the same being true with Atlantis, but with the pivotal actors being Sheppard and MacKay. That's not to say that the other actors wouldn't be wanted, but that these actors are critical to being able to make the movie viable. I don't see tham making a movie of any kind without at least one of these characters.

Flyboy
February 18th, 2009, 02:44 PM
Just to muse a quick thought, if anyone's seen "Dog Soldiers" it's proof that not all Sci Fi original movies are bad.

leiasky
February 18th, 2009, 03:00 PM
I think I'd have to know more about the plot of the movie. I like the concept of the franchise but what I really stayed for was the characters and their relationships with each other and the plot of the week/year.

Ikaros
February 19th, 2009, 04:05 AM

I hope they finally do take that step(make big Movies with both SG1 AND SGA characters and themes) but not with the secondary characters.
I want movies with Sam and Jack, Rodney and Teyla etc, anything else would just be a different story.
Something i wont be interested in no matter what they give us.

leiasky
February 19th, 2009, 07:45 AM
I hope they finally do take that step(make big Movies with both SG1 AND SGA characters and themes) but not with the secondary characters. I want movies with Sam and Jack, Rodney and Teyla etc, anything else would just be a different story. Something i wont be interested in no matter what they give us.

Which is probably why the cartoon 'Infinity' failed. It wasn't the characters we know and love, and people weren't interested in seeing it.

Ikaros
February 19th, 2009, 02:18 PM
I checked on the Game too and it's kind of "alien", to me at least.Though i am kind of an rpg-addict. Just another proof (for me) that Stargate wasn't a "franchise" in the way they wanted to present it to us, but a couple(or more) of characters we came to really like,in every situation they managed to get themselves into.

Flyboy
February 21st, 2009, 10:46 AM
Which is probably why the cartoon 'Infinity' failed. It wasn't the characters we know and love, and people weren't interested in seeing it.
Neither was SGA - save McKay, and neither is SGU. That's not why Infinity failed.

Crazedwraith
February 21st, 2009, 10:59 AM
Just to muse a quick thought, if anyone's seen "Dog Soldiers" it's proof that not all Sci Fi original movies are bad.

Umm... what?

Dog Soldiers, although awesome, is a British film by the Kismet Entertainment group it is not a 'Sci-Fi original' movie which referrers to TV movies made by the Sci Fi channel., which are of a notoriously bad quality.

amconway
February 21st, 2009, 10:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by leiasky

Neither was SGA - save McKay, and neither is SGU. That's not why Infinity failed.

I can't address the issue of 'Infinity'. I didn't watch that because it was a cartoon-and, admittedly, because it wasn't SG-1, but mostly because it was a cartoon.

In terms of SGA, I really liked the show for the first season, and while there were episodes that I liked after that, it didn't have what drew me to Stargate: the close knit team, the character growth, and the exploration. It wasn't that they weren't SG-1, it was that they didn't have what that team had that made me care beyond a casual interest.

Butlersgate
February 21st, 2009, 12:54 PM

agreed though i think it failed because of how it had nothing to do with earth and it was set so far into the future

amconway
February 21st, 2009, 01:17 PM
Originally Posted by Flying Officer Bennett

agreed though i think it failed because of how it had nothing to do with earth and it was set so far into the future

Also agreed. Two of the most important aspects of Stargate are the modern day nature, and the connection/threat to Earth. The situation with with the Wraith never had the same implied threat and importance as the fight against the Goa'uld, except when there was imminent danger of the Wraith discovering Earth. Even then, the distances involved made the threat seem less dire.

It will be interesting to see how they get around theis with SGU. The emphasis on character may make us care enough that it won't matter as much, or perhaps they will discover something that endangers the Earth, and makes their return of more than personal importance. I hope the latter will be the case.

There are characters that we met in SG-1 that I think might be able to hold our interest in a movie without the main characters. A mission with Dave Dixon's team, for example. I'm not sure that it would work without some tie-in, or previous knowledge of at least one of the characters.

Flyboy
February 21st, 2009, 03:20 PM
Umm... what?

Dog Soldiers, although awesome, is a British film by the Kismet Entertainment group it is not a 'Sci-Fi original' movie which referrers to TV movies made by the Sci Fi channel., which are of a notoriously bad quality.
It is indeed British. But according to SciFi.com it's one of their original movies.

Ganthet Jr.
February 21st, 2009, 07:39 PM
I would love for a movie or series of movies that cover other aspects of the franchise, as long as it wouldn't supplant anything existing. I see the franchise having three legs -- SG1, SGA, and SGU, and I think it'd be great to have a fourth tier as a sort of "Tales of the Stargate Franchise..." sort of thing, much like Green Lantern had back in the day. There was a Green Lantern ongoing series, a Green Lantern Corps ongoing series (just like today), and a third book called "Tales of the Green Lantern Corps", which featured a random story of a random character every month. If a storyline or character was liked, it was either revisited in a future "Tales" or brought into another leg of the franchise. Star Wars did the same thing with "Star Wars Tales", so I think it'd be great for that to happen.

Crazedwraith
February 22nd, 2009, 03:55 AM
It is indeed British. But according to SciFi.com it's one of their original movies.

Really? I'm looking at the DVD box and it doesn't mention them at all...

Flyboy
February 22nd, 2009, 07:23 AM
Really? I'm looking at the DVD box and it doesn't mention them at all...
I know - weird, but still: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Sci_Fi_Pictures_original_films

kymeric
February 26th, 2009, 04:31 PM
I would love to see a half dozen movies of each brand, by then we will be running 5+ years from now and the actors will be older and moved on, then its time for a huge completely new theatrical movie leading into a new show.

leiasky
February 27th, 2009, 09:26 AM
I would love to see a half dozen movies of each brand, by then we will be running 5+ years from now and the actors will be older and moved on, then its time for a huge completely new theatrical movie leading into a new show.

Which is why they have SGU. After 5 more years of making SG1 and SGA movies, SGU will be off the air and into movies and a new series will have taken its place . . .

It's all very predictable:)