Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long before we get generic stand alone Stargate movies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long before we get generic stand alone Stargate movies?

There are a lot of sequel movies out there that are just cheap ways to continue using the name without having to pay the massive salaries for the lead actors. The new MGM Direct to DVD line up with "Legally Blondes" featuring a cousin of the original woman from "Legally Blonde" demonstrates this, in addition, let's take The Arrival 2, which again, focuses on a relative of the original character. Direct to DVD movies very often take this line (Starship Troopers 2)- and that doesn't always mean they're bad. Sometimes far from it.

At the moment, I think we're lucky in getting Ark Of Truth, Continuum, the third Jack centric Sg1 movie, and the SGA movie... but will it last?

Will TPTB, and more importantly, MGM and Sci Fi decide that they just want strings of Sci Fi original Stargate movies coming out for their saturday night slots? Movies that have only the support Stargate characters in the role, like Walter and (oh wow, maybe Major Davis will finally get his place in the spotlight ) other such secondary characters? It's theoretically possible, and considering the nature of Stargate - there's no reason we couldn't see a movie devoted to SG-3, or indeed (God Forbid -imo) The Ancients. Cheap casting - potentially good stories... maybe.

So here it is - how long do we think it'll be before that happens, and if so... would you want to watch?

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

I have no idea how long, if ever, it'll be before that happens. I kind of doubt it personally, but maybe. Would I watch? No. It's about the characters for me, not just "Stargate". (and personally I can't stand Walter ). If none of my favorite characters are there, I can't imagine a single motivation to get me to watch.
    - Life after Stargate -
    Agent Carter * Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. * The Blacklist * Castle * Elementary * Grimm
    Hawaii Five-0 * The Mentalist * NCIS * NCIS:LA * Once Upon a Time * Rizzoli & Isles
    sigpic

Comment

HaHa a Walter movie!!! Thats gold.

Maybe a Sgt Syler movie where he just walks around fixing stuff for 2hrs???
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
        HaHa a Walter movie!!! Thats gold.

Maybe a Sgt Syler movie where he just walks around fixing stuff for 2hrs???
        I don't mean a Walter movie...

I mean a movie with an original main cast, but still as the support cast to add continuity.

Maybe a Dixon movie?

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

i dont really see that happening unless brad wright and co. leave and some new group who have never done stargate before come in and ruin stargate by doing that.and i dont see MGM going down that road because next to the Bond franchise,the stargate franchise is probably its next big money maker and those types of straight to dvd movies are usually done more for regular comedy flicks.it wont work for stargate and fans would not have it

Comment

Originally posted by kennythewraith View Post
            i dont really see that happening unless brad wright and co. leave and some new group who have never done stargate before come in and ruin stargate by doing that.and i dont see MGM going down that road because next to the Bond franchise,the stargate franchise is probably its next big money maker and those types of straight to dvd movies are usually done more for regular comedy flicks.it wont work for stargate and fans would not have it
            But if Stargate isn't that profitable at some point, surely it would be (in Sci Fi's eyes) a cheap way of getting an established audiance for a saturday night movie, but one that is open to new fans, and yet is cheap, because they'd all be relatively low budget actors.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

If the Stargte movies become Sci-fi original movies, i'm through with watching them. I love Stargate, but there is a limit.

Comment

I don't think that will happen mainly because I think they'll keep making new series and as each one ends they'll make movies for that series. But if they did decide to make a movie about SG-2 or whatever, sure I'd watch it. If it was a cool planet of the week type story just with a different team, I see no reason that it couldn't be good.

Perfecto!

Comment

I'm looking forward to them doing this.
                  I would love them to expand the Stargate Franchise's Universe.
                  I'd love to see a movie about another SG Team, or the crew of one of the battleships or even a stoy about a battle/war/event that happened to the Gou'ald before we became a major power (ie: Pre-Movie) with the Gou'ald as the main roles.
                  The Doctor: [leafing through a teen magazine] That won't last. He's gay and she's an alien.

Carter: You saying that it could be boobytraped?
                  Teal'C: Booby?

May the Force Be With You

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
                    If the Stargte movies become Sci-fi original movies, i'm through with watching them. I love Stargate, but there is a limit.
                    I have to agree with that statement completely.
                    "Goodbye Eli Wallace, you're a good man."
                    - imlad, from http://www.readandfindout.com/

Comment

Personally, I don't see us getting movies like that. But, if we were to, depending on who they focused on, I might consider giving them a try. I certainly wouldn't rule out watching them.
                      sigpic
                      MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                      "...phu...ah..."
                      "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                      Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

In short?

Never gonna happen.

I say that in part because as SG1 was ending Season 9, Gateworld did an interwiew with Brad Wright and he was asked about SG1 longevity. Could it go on with new characters new cast like ER? (Or, better example, Casualty for those of us in the UK!) - The answer is no. Even then they said that doing a series about say, SG2, would not work because there is no new groundwork, covering stuff SG1 didn't already do.

Not that I personally agree with that idea - our Galaxy is a unimaginalbly massive place, and Stargate seems to have forgotten that, unlike say Star Trek and its offspring series. However that is what they said.

Anther factor is investment and budget. The economy is precarious at the moment. So I'd say the chances of a "stand alone" movie with no direct connection to SG1 or Atlantis's main characters especially in the current fiancial climate ongoing, are next to none. - The other reason is they don't need to. If push came to shove, they could draft Atlantis characters into an SG1 story and combine the two, and they have commited themselves with Universe.

The way I look at all of this is, even if SG1 if not Gate as a whole, goes badly belly up now, we have 10 solid years of tv programming, with a couple of Atlantis for good measure. Firefly, the new Knight Rider and other shows never even got to half that length!
                        Converting a human body into energy and sending it millions of light years through a wormhole. Bloody insanity!
                        Come on, how often do you get the chance to go to an alien planet?

I was a'ready on an alien planet!

- Poisoning the Well, Atlantis Season 1.

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Todd View Post
                          I dout that it would become 'Sci-fi original movies'.
                          The Doctor: [leafing through a teen magazine] That won't last. He's gay and she's an alien.

Carter: You saying that it could be boobytraped?
                          Teal'C: Booby?

May the Force Be With You

Comment

Originally posted by JedI Master of the Gate View Post
                            I dout that it would become 'Sci-fi original movies'.
                            As do I. The people behind Stargate have more class than that.
                            sigpic
                            MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                            "...phu...ah..."
                            "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                            Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by Flying Officer Bennett View Post
                              There are a lot of sequel movies out there that are just cheap ways to continue using the name without having to pay the massive salaries for the lead actors. The new MGM Direct to DVD line up with "Legally Blondes" featuring a cousin of the original woman from "Legally Blonde" demonstrates this, in addition, let's take The Arrival 2, which again, focuses on a relative of the original character. Direct to DVD movies very often take this line (Starship Troopers 2)- and that doesn't always mean they're bad. Sometimes far from it.

At the moment, I think we're lucky in getting Ark Of Truth, Continuum, the third Jack centric Sg1 movie, and the SGA movie... but will it last?

Will TPTB, and more importantly, MGM and Sci Fi decide that they just want strings of Sci Fi original Stargate movies coming out for their saturday night slots? Movies that have only the support Stargate characters in the role, like Walter and (oh wow, maybe Major Davis will finally get his place in the spotlight ) other such secondary characters? It's theoretically possible, and considering the nature of Stargate - there's no reason we couldn't see a movie devoted to SG-3, or indeed (God Forbid -imo) The Ancients. Cheap casting - potentially good stories... maybe.

So here it is - how long do we think it'll be before that happens, and if so... would you want to watch?
                              Never.

If they weren't able to grab the entire cast or a majority of them, they would wait. If people moved on, they would most likely discontinue the movies.

I don't think MGM would go a place a secondary character into the 'spotlight' because that would jeopardize their franchise or at least the movies. Most likely though, they would wait for the right time when the majority of the cast was free to do a movie.

EDIT: The movies are a continuation of SG-1 and Atlantis...Therefore, it will center around SG-1 and the Atlantis team...It just wouldn't make sense to continue off of SG-1 and then write a story about SG-3.
                              Last edited by Orion Antreas; 31 January 2009, 06:15 PM. Reason: Added in the 'EDIT' part.

There are no regrets. Thank you Brad Wright and everyone else for SGU,
                              and the amazing Stargate franchise in general.

Comment

Working...
                              X