This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who are they working for?

well this is not an expedition, its not funded, its not operated under any authority, so who do they work for you, who do they swear allegiance to? what prevents them from working with the bad guys and if there are any bad guys, what would they want from them?? there is nothing that the earth crew has that will alert the bad guys...speaking of which, why hasnt any alien ever boarded the Destiny, can an empty ship stay empty for so long? or is there something keeping intruders out.
    sigpic

Originally posted by Duneknight View Post
    well this is not an expedition, its not funded, its not operated under any authority, so who do they work for you, who do they swear allegiance to? what prevents them from working with the bad guys and if there are any bad guys, what would they want from them?? there is nothing that the earth crew has that will alert the bad guys...speaking of which, why hasnt any alien ever boarded the Destiny, can an empty ship stay empty for so long? or is there something keeping intruders out.
    Ummm...most of them are military personnel and the others, the civilians, are working for the USAF, the SGC or the IOA.
    As for the second part of your question...{mod snip} A cloak, impenetrable shield, huge guns...Or maybe they DID board it but were unable to use it. We'll see once it premieres.
    Last edited by KatG; 08 February 2009, 05:36 AM. Reason: sarcastic, rude

Comment

Originally posted by reddevil18 View Post
      Ummm...most of them are military personnel and the others, the civilians, are working for the USAF, the SGC or the IOA.
      As for the second part of your question...{mod snip} A cloak, impenetrable shield, huge guns...Or maybe they DID board it but were unable to use it. We'll see once it premieres.
      i dont think they are working for the USAF or any other, its made clear that they arent tied to earth because they are unable to reestablish contact. so this makes for a Lord of the Flies scenario which means self-reliance is permeated to the lost crew but fortunately they arent forced to build shelter since the Destiny already provides that. and we have heard of the fight for leadership storylines that are going to play out. but with all this happening, the crew will definitely lose sense of who they are working for or more importantly; their purpose.
      Last edited by KatG; 08 February 2009, 05:36 AM. Reason: snipped portion in quote
      sigpic

Comment

You could potentially have a Lord of the Flies scenario but the majority of them are still military. Even when someone is cut off from civilization the military still tries to keep the chain of command. That will probably a theme through out the show. Maybe a civilian thinks he or she should be in charge instead of the military
        Originally posted by aretood2
        Jelgate is right

Comment

i dont think they are working for the USAF or any other, its made clear that they arent tied to earth because they are unable to reestablish contact. so this makes for a Lord of the Flies scenario which means self-reliance is permeated to the lost crew but fortunately they arent forced to build shelter since the Destiny already provides that. and we have heard of the fight for leadership storylines that are going to play out. but with all this happening, the crew will definitely lose sense of who they are working for or more importantly; their purpose.
          Spoiler:
          Huh? How are they not "tied to Earth" because they can't communicate? That doesn't mean they aren't ultimately responsible to someone. And, they'll eventually regain contact via the Ancient communications device once Choe and Eli fess up. Also, just because Rush disobeyed a directive and decided to proceed without authorization doesn't mean he still doesn't work for whoever he works for. It just means he's a bad employee. Then you have all the people who aren't Rush's.

Even though Rush has decided to procede without authorization, Rush and all of his people are still sanctioned to be there through the US Military, Homworld Security, or IOA. Otherwise, they don't go through the stargate. As for whom they "directly" work for, it is one of those organizations or some company/organization that is cleared by them. Of course, you have others besides Rush's people. You have the base personnel, probably all US military through the SGC, and you have US government and IOA peeps on taking the tour.

Whoever they work for, anyone can always turn traitor and work for the bad guys.

While out of communications and on their own, "Who's i charge?" is going to be an issue of the show. That's already been stated.

Last edited by terr; 31 January 2009, 11:44 AM. Reason: Spoilered it

Comment

I'm guessing the overbearing IOA yet again. Or it could just be an American Military program.

A very wise man once said...."Reality is an illusion created by a lack of Alcohol."

Comment

He's right, ultimatley they can do whatever they like.

Comment

I think it obvious they will not all be working for the same people. May be in name but not in motives.

Rush will be working for himself or a third party. Robert is keeping his accent so their hope yet that he will be their on behalf of the British government.
                The Chinese bird/IOA accountant will be working for the IOA hopefully as a representative for the Chinese government who will want to know where their money is going, and well hopefully she does more than just accounting.
                The senator daughter well obviously she was on the great gravy tray that every government has, he probably put her down as his secretary or PA. I could see someone like Rush forcing her into a full time role on the vessel. May be maintaining the toilet facilities for starters, that should loosen the silver spoon life style out of her.

The rest seem to be a mix of civilians most likely under the IOA control and USAF/Homeworld security personal.

We know it not going to be clear cut on who exactly in charge aboard the vessel. An it seem them fighting over command will probably be a central storyline through out all seasons.
                Last edited by knowles2; 03 February 2009, 03:34 PM.

Comment

As I recall Ronald and I believe Riley are both Sergents. And since we know that Ron is a Marine, I suspect Riley is as well. So not only Air Force, IOA, and SGC members, but Marines as well!!!
                  MY CONVENTIONS:

CON*CEPT MONTREAL 2006
                  MARCON COLUMBUS 2007
                  POLARIS TORONTO 2007
                  CREATION STARGATE VANCOUVER 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 & 2012
                  GATECON VANCOUVER 2008 & 2010
                  VCON VANCOUVER 2010
                  FAN EXPO VANCOUVER 2012 & 2013

Comment

Originally posted by AnnieS View Post
                    As I recall Ronald and I believe Riley are both Sergents. And since we know that Ron is a Marine, I suspect Riley is as well. So not only Air Force, IOA, and SGC members, but Marines as well!!!
                    And some civilians. There are going to be a whole lot of competing interests on this show, no doubt about it.
                    sigpic
                    MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                    "...phu...ah..."
                    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Aren't they all working for the US Government? That's why the Senator's there, it's a US funded project staffed by mostly US scientists with some foriegners thrown in. And the security and support staff are all US, Marines or USAF.
                      These are the wrong people... in the wrong place.

Comment

ide like them to be rogue nid, to start with, but forced to be more ethical by there situation

as for not being boarded there could be auto defence systems for just that, that can destinguish different life forms (were virtually identical to the ancients so it may think we are ancients)

Comment

Originally posted by Detox View Post
                          Aren't they all working for the US Government? That's why the Senator's there, it's a US funded project staffed by mostly US scientists with some foriegners thrown in. And the security and support staff are all US, Marines or USAF.
                          All that the US government is funding is the mining operations and the construction of 304s. Explain at the begining of season 9 of sg1.
                          Funding for all other activities was taken over by the IOA under a deal done by Landry, I would say this included maintain all of world bases other than one directly link with mining,
                          Atlantis was always funded by the IOA.

Comment

Once they're stranded for long enough things like whether they're acting in the interests of the USAF or IOA, etc, should cease to matter. All that should matter is survival and trying to organize themselves in such a way to achieve that goal while maintaining sanity and hope.

If the total crew size is fairly small, eventually you would expect the military hierarchy to break down and be superseded by a looser structure. On the other hand, if the crew ends up being large and full of redshirt military characters, then the military hierarchy would probably maintain itself.

The point about why nobody has boarded the Destiny until now is a good one. No idea. We'll have to wait and see if they explain that.

Comment

Based on everything I've read and heard so far, it was a team that was forced to board the ship for one reason or another and not necessarily by choice, i.e. stepped through the gate/boarded the ship as the only option to escape crisis, but I think it's pretty reasonable to assume that the team was originally overseen by the SGC. The IOA is ultimately in control of scientific expeditions but in the past it seems that they've only flexed their muscle when it suited them, so until the project yielded results they probably could have cared less.

Of course the team dynamic will change when the situation changes, but that's all a part of the overall conflict of the show. "What happens to people when they are lost?" I think that has some great potential to pursue some interesting plot lines that have only been hinted at before in the franchise.

Comment

Working...
                              X