Enterprise- "Awakening"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Enterprise- "Awakening"

Okay, see, this is more like it. Last time, I enjoyed "The Forge" but there was something about it that felt kinda off or something- like it wasn't quite as interesting as I'd hoped (as I said, I have trouble with the "across the desert" episodes). This week, I don't feel that at all.

I loved the opening scene. Unlike the weak little non-trailer of the previous week, this one sucked me right into the ep. Soval is officially booted out, though I'm not sure if this is a permanent thing or just something temporary. Either way, it's great. I'm really taking a liking to Soval these days. If he doesn't return to the Vulcan government when this is all said and done, I hope he finds a career with Starfleet. "There's a great deal that needs to be said, excellency, but no one is willing to listen."

So, we at last meet Miss T'Pau, and I immediately noticed that the actress that plays her is HARDLY acting like an ordinary Vulcan. Her emotions are so far out there it's insane. In fact, every Vulcan except Soval, Surak, and T'Pol is just bursting with emotion. At first, I was a bit put off, but then I started to feel like this is the way it actually is suppose to be. Vulcans on both sides are just totally lost right now, so it makes sense that they don't act right.

What I was happy to learn is that the writers actually didn't take the easy way out with T'Pol and Archer's confrontation with the Syrannites. The Syrannites are certainly not shown as beneveolent, perfect saviors of Vulcan, and T'Pol doesn't just magically accept them within the first two minutes of meeting them. The Syrannites are screwed up themselves, just like the High Command, and the only difference is that the Syrannites are actually working towards a better way. So it's not so black and white.

Yay, T'Pol's mom returned! It was cool to see T'Pol and her mom's role reversed from the last time they saw each other. T'Pol is now the one with the "What's happened to you?" attitude, and her mom is the one seeking approval. Good stuff here.

Roxanne Dawson has gotta be one of my favorite ENT directors, and it's a shame she only gets a few per season. They seem to like sticking her with the eps that have something wierd going on, like the ep with the web-like lifeform, or last season's "Exile." She always finds a way to draw you deeper into the scene, using all kinds of awesome visual tricks. The Surak scenes were done quite well, as was the rest of the ep.

More irony arises when we realize that Archer, a human that's never trusted Vulcans, is going to be the one to set their culture back on track. Genius! Love it!

Dr. Phlox was absent for the entire episode (excluding the clip show), but on the bright side, we did get a little extra Mayweather. He wasn't just flying Enterprise this week. He was flying a modified Shuttlepod. Well, at least we know he's still alive...

T'Pol's mom, however, is not alive. When the High Command bombarded the Syrannite's hideout, she apparently went back to get T'Pol. This was a particularly sad ending. I didn't expect that she would actually die- especially not so soon. This I believe may be what opens T'Pol's mind, and will start her on the road to becoming truly Vulcan. The moment just after her mom's death was done quite well- it looked almost as if T'Pol was trying to hold her emotion in, but the tears were flowing anyway. Sad, but good.

From the previews, I had zero hopes for this ep- in fact, I thought it would be one of my least favorites of the season so far. In fact, it's probably one of the best ones, imo. I give it an A. And the third and final part to the ep looks AWESOME! Bring on the Andorians! This is going to rock.

i agree... it wasn't as good as the forge, which was awesome, and honestly even better than i had hoped, but this one WAS way better than the promo made it out to be and honestly i really liked it... just barely behind the forge in my list of faves for this season!!

and the death of t'pol's mom was really sad... and although it may not be very vulcan, it was very tpol to have her shed a tear... fighting with her emotion yet again (jsut as her mom pointed out! a nice tie-in ) it was very touching... kinda reminded me of the death of anakin's mom in star wars (well, except tpol didn't go off killing everyone in sight afterward! ), and it honestly had me misty-eyed... not bursting with tears, but ya know...

i agree on the A

and i also can't WAIT for this week's ep!! soval gets tortured for info?? is that what the promo is showin'?? sounds awesome! and andorians!

Comment

Originally posted by Vapor
      Okay, see, this is more like it. Last time, I enjoyed "The Forge" but there was something about it that felt kinda off or something- like it wasn't quite as interesting as I'd hoped (as I said, I have trouble with the "across the desert" episodes). This week, I don't feel that at all.

I loved the opening scene. Unlike the weak little non-trailer of the previous week, this one sucked me right into the ep. Soval is officially booted out, though I'm not sure if this is a permanent thing or just something temporary. Either way, it's great. I'm really taking a liking to Soval these days. If he doesn't return to the Vulcan government when this is all said and done, I hope he finds a career with Starfleet. "There's a great deal that needs to be said, excellency, but no one is willing to listen."

So, we at last meet Miss T'Pau, and I immediately noticed that the actress that plays her is HARDLY acting like an ordinary Vulcan. Her emotions are so far out there it's insane. In fact, every Vulcan except Soval, Surak, and T'Pol is just bursting with emotion. At first, I was a bit put off, but then I started to feel like this is the way it actually is suppose to be. Vulcans on both sides are just totally lost right now, so it makes sense that they don't act right.

What I was happy to learn is that the writers actually didn't take the easy way out with T'Pol and Archer's confrontation with the Syrannites. The Syrannites are certainly not shown as beneveolent, perfect saviors of Vulcan, and T'Pol doesn't just magically accept them within the first two minutes of meeting them. The Syrannites are screwed up themselves, just like the High Command, and the only difference is that the Syrannites are actually working towards a better way. So it's not so black and white.

Yay, T'Pol's mom returned! It was cool to see T'Pol and her mom's role reversed from the last time they saw each other. T'Pol is now the one with the "What's happened to you?" attitude, and her mom is the one seeking approval. Good stuff here.

Roxanne Dawson has gotta be one of my favorite ENT directors, and it's a shame she only gets a few per season. They seem to like sticking her with the eps that have something wierd going on, like the ep with the web-like lifeform, or last season's "Exile." She always finds a way to draw you deeper into the scene, using all kinds of awesome visual tricks. The Surak scenes were done quite well, as was the rest of the ep.

More irony arises when we realize that Archer, a human that's never trusted Vulcans, is going to be the one to set their culture back on track. Genius! Love it!

Dr. Phlox was absent for the entire episode (excluding the clip show), but on the bright side, we did get a little extra Mayweather. He wasn't just flying Enterprise this week. He was flying a modified Shuttlepod. Well, at least we know he's still alive...

T'Pol's mom, however, is not alive. When the High Command bombarded the Syrannite's hideout, she apparently went back to get T'Pol. This was a particularly sad ending. I didn't expect that she would actually die- especially not so soon. This I believe may be what opens T'Pol's mind, and will start her on the road to becoming truly Vulcan. The moment just after her mom's death was done quite well- it looked almost as if T'Pol was trying to hold her emotion in, but the tears were flowing anyway. Sad, but good.

From the previews, I had zero hopes for this ep- in fact, I thought it would be one of my least favorites of the season so far. In fact, it's probably one of the best ones, imo. I give it an A. And the third and final part to the ep looks AWESOME! Bring on the Andorians! This is going to rock.
      For all you Trekkers out there, T'Pau lives long and prospers; she appears in ST:TOS (forget the episode, but I think it's the one where Spock goes through Pan far...I might be mistaken), and I'm pretty sure she's in The Motion Picture and maybe even ST III: The Search for Spock, where she puts Spock's katra back into his new body after McCoy carried it from Genesis.

I might be wrong on some of these, and am too lazy to check, but the point is: she lives a long life and becomes a prominent Vulcan spiritual leader in Kirk and Spock's generation.

Comment

nope... pretty sure you're correct... i KNOW she was in amok time, and i'm fairly certain she was in at least one movie (don't remember which and haven't seen 'em all... but i think she was)

Comment

Originally posted by emily_reich
          nope... pretty sure you're correct... i KNOW she was in amok time, and i'm fairly certain she was in at least one movie (don't remember which and haven't seen 'em all... but i think she was)
          Yep, she was in "Amok Time" Episode: #2.1 - 15 September 1967 and in ST III: The Search for Spock, but played by different actresses.

Comment

It could be a different character with the same name. Like John Smith and John Adams, both are Johns, but they are different people.

I too liked this episode alot. I thought that Syrak was an awesome character. So far, he and Vosk are my favorite characters out of this new season.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
            [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

I thought this was a great episode. Liked everything about the episode and not bored for a minute. Overall, I have enjoyed the season as a whole very much.
              sigpic

Comment

i think they called her t'pau deliberately. i seem to recall that t'pol was originally called t'pay in early press releases. folks started talking about how cool it'd be to see t'pau....then it got changed

i think they know what they're doing
                Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

T'Pol's cahracter was originally written as T'Pau, but, due to legalities (basically, if they made her T'Pau every episode when her name was mentioned, they'd have to pay a royalty to the writer of "Amok Time") it became T'Pol.
                  Rocky

Comment

Originally posted by rocket4477
                    T'Pol's cahracter was originally written as T'Pau, but, due to legalities (basically, if they made her T'Pau every episode when her name was mentioned, they'd have to pay a royalty to the writer of "Amok Time") it became T'Pol.
                    Also, T'Pol was referenced in Unimatrix Zero Part 2 (VOYAGER). Tuvok, loosing the mental battle against the borg, keeps repeating his daughter's name and that she was born in the city of T'Pol. So T'Pol was obviously an important person in Vulcan history, to have a city named aafter her.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
                    [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

Originally posted by rocket4477
                      not only the legalities, i would imagine, but imagine if a young sarek was assigned to the ship???

folks would obsess about it and they'd be limited in what they could do
                      Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

yeah... that's a REALLY good point... people obsess ENOUGH about things that don't follow "continuity" or whatever... imagine how much worse it would be if it was a preestablished character!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X