Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would Tollan ionic cannon effective against Hiveship?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Tollan ionic cannon was powerful, it can blow up a Goa'uld mothership ,until Anubis modify the shield with Ancient Tech.It was a technological achievment .
    Later they aslo built phase shifting bomb whcih allow explosive to pass any physical barrier .

Since the Waith doesn't use shield, they use hall regeneration for their hive ship to recover.
    I wonder Would Tollan cannon or other Tollan weapon be effective against wraith Hive ships.
    In the pass we saw a normal hive survive a direct hit of nuclear missile.

Tollan cannon may carry enough kick to destory any hive (incl Super hive)

I think there cannon would be effective, and there missiles VERY effective if used properly. One of the reasons the missiles were probably "lost" is that they are too powerful. I mean those things can just fly into the ships core and 1 hit every ship out there.
    Well i was bored and decided to make a borg vs stargate sig, so enjoy...btw the explosions and ships look weird i know, its hard to make them blend
    Anime signature in spoiler tag
    Spoiler:
    Here is an anime sig, i was bored so i randomly picked a maid pic and photoshoped it

Comment

It's difficult to say whether the Tollan Ion Cannons are a raw power weapon or a shield damaging weapon, as you have to remember one or 2 drones targeting the right place on a Ha'Tak can cause enough secondary explosions to destroy one (It's Good To Be King in season 8 of SG1), but I think they would have enough power to work on a normal Hive, as they have a very high firing rate I think they could cripple and destroy a Hive pretty quickly, which begs the question are there any races in PG with similar weapons tech?

With the Super Hive I'd bet the Ion Cannon could probably destroy it, but it's whether enough Ion blasts to destroy the Hive can be fired before the Wraith took out the cannons from orbit.
      Seeing as the Tollans didn't appear to have any kind of shield technology to protect their cities and weapon placements they may not be able to destroy the Super Hive in time.

As far as making a missile with the phasing tech the Tollans probably could have done it and since the Wraith's ships don't have shields I'd say the missile would penetrate the hull of any of their ships and that explosive was insanely powerful, probably more powerful than any nuke Earth currently has so I'd bet they could destroy any Wraith vessels.

Comment

there seems to be alot of these ... Vs hive ships threads going around

"Oddly, this is familiar to you, as if it were from an old dream, but you can't exactly remember..."

Comment

It would cause damage but no more than the damage Hives do to each other when they fight. I don't see why anyone would think that the Tollan Ion canons would cause massive damage to a Hive ship...

The phase bombs however if they could deliver it would definately take out a Hive.
          Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

Originally posted by bradly08 View Post
            there seems to be alot of these ... Vs hive ships threads going around
            They are all similar topics yes, but with different vessels so it may not work if the mods were to say try and merge all of these threads into one huge one.

Originally posted by Buba uognarf View Post
            It would cause damage but no more than the damage Hives do to each other when they fight. I don't see why anyone would think that the Tollan Ion canons would cause massive damage to a Hive ship...
            Those Ion cannons seem to have a pretty high firing rate so I think they could dispatch a Hive before it managed to open up on the surface of Tollana, if the Tollans had lived in the Pegasus galaxy before the Wraith started their conquest of the galaxy then they'd probably need several times the number of cannons they had defending their home world in the Milky Way to take out a Wraith fleet if it attacked and they'd need shields protecting their cities, which I don't recall them having in SG1.

The phase bombs however if they could deliver it would definately take out a Hive.
            That it would.

Comment

yes I thing they would be effective against a hive

Comment

Given that Anubis Ha'tak shields basically made it useless it probably wouldn't be very effective against even a normal hive. It was as deadly as it was to the Goa'uld because it seemed to ignore/overcome the shields somehow very quickly. Once that weakness was patched by Anubis then the guns were no longer even effective against Ha'taks.

It would probably damage a Wraith hive if it hit it but it's not going to be a 1 hit kill type of thing. They'll have to shoot it multiple times just like you would with any other weapon as it's "special power" to shoot through shields is going to be just as useless against hives as it was against Anubis' Ha'taks.

Comment

Originally posted by ckwongau View Post

The Tollan ionic cannon was powerful, it can blow up a Goa'uld mothership ,until Anubis modify the shield with Ancient Tech.It was a technological achievment .
                  Later they aslo built phase shifting bomb whcih allow explosive to pass any physical barrier .

Since the Waith doesn't use shield, they use hall regeneration for their hive ship to recover.
                  I wonder Would Tollan cannon or other Tollan weapon be effective against wraith Hive ships.
                  In the pass we saw a normal hive survive a direct hit of nuclear missile.

Tollan cannon may carry enough kick to destory any hive (incl Super hive)
                  Yes, but with some reserves about the mechanism.
                  It's a bizarre weapon that could easily rip through a hull which was considered capable of taking hundreds of megatons of directed energy before going down, versus the hull of a hiveship capable of taking quite more of such bombardment (probably a low handful gigatons top).

The magic homing ion bolts, for some reason, completely bypassed Goa'uld shields, and utterly vapourized Ha'taks after a few impacts.
                  I suppose you'd need a dozen times more bolts, but it should work, especially if they hit the same zone.

I wouldn't put a hiveship in orbit of Tollana for sure, unless you managed to send waves of suicidal Darts to dispatch the batteries first (assuming of course that the cannons aren't used against the Darts as one of them was against a Death Glider).
                  The Al'kesh is not a warship - Info on Naqahdah & Naqahdria - Firepower of Goa'uld staff weapons - Everything about Hiveships and the Wraith - An idea about what powers Destiny...

Comment

A Ha'tak was taken out with two shots from a Tollan Ion Cannon. I'm pretty sure that 5 shots from an Ion Cannon would kill a hive, no matter how much it regenerated.
                    If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!
                    Check out Pharaoh Hamenthotep's wicked 3D renders here!
                    If you can prove me wrong, go for it. I enjoy being proven wrong.

sigpic
                    Worship the Zefron. Always the Zefron.

Comment

Originally posted by lordofseas View Post
                      A Ha'tak was taken out with two shots from a Tollan Ion Cannon. I'm pretty sure that 5 shots from an Ion Cannon would kill a hive, no matter how much it regenerated.
                      Well a lot more shots were fired at each Ha'tak in Pretense, a few probably managed to hit some critical systems in much the same way O'Neill did when piloting the Puddle Jumper in It's good To Be King, he only fired two Drones at Amaterasu's ship, one minute they appeared to do nothing and the next that ship exploded from the inside.
                      Since a Hive could be several times the size of a Ha'Tak and it very thick hull armor which could probably take quite a lot more than five shots of Ion fire.
                      Another thing you have to remember is that Ha'Taks are made of Naqueda which could get explosive if heated to the correct temperature, the Ion Cannon blasts seemed to heat things up quite a bit and we of course don't know exactly what a Hive's hull is made of (not specifically in terms of the metal) but it doesn't seem all that volatile to me.

The batteries on one side of a planet, like all that was fired at both Ha'Taks in Pretense would probably do a lot of damage to a single Hive and since they have a rapid firing rate, probably like one shot per a second or two, then a few volleys could IMO take out a Hive pretty easily, but like I've said before if the Wraith were to attack with a fleet, equaling what attacked Atlantis in The Siege Part 3 then more cannons would be needed.

The Ion Cannons are certainly no Acturas cannon, but Earth could probably build an Asgard plasma beam or pulse cannon that would work better against Hives and we would shield ours.

Comment

Yes, the Plasmas would work better. BTW, Acturas cannon?
                        If you wish to see more of my rants, diatribes, and general comments, check out my Twitter account SirRyanR!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mister Oragahn View Post
                          Yes, but with some reserves about the mechanism.
                          It's a bizarre weapon that could easily rip through a hull which was considered capable of taking hundreds of megatons of directed energy before going down, versus the hull of a hiveship capable of taking quite more of such bombardment (probably a low handful gigatons top).

The magic homing ion bolts, for some reason, completely bypassed Goa'uld shields, and utterly vapourized Ha'taks after a few impacts.
                          I suppose you'd need a dozen times more bolts, but it should work, especially if they hit the same zone.

I wouldn't put a hiveship in orbit of Tollana for sure, unless you managed to send waves of suicidal Darts to dispatch the batteries first (assuming of course that the cannons aren't used against the Darts as one of them was against a Death Glider).
                          A hive cannot take gigatons of abuse. We've nuked quite a few with nukes in the sub megaton range beamed inside and one hive crippled by an external blast from a baby nuke. Where do you guys get this crap?

Comment

Originally posted by lordofseas View Post
                            Yes, the Plasmas would work better. BTW, Acturas cannon?
                            It was featured in SGA season 2 and the episode was called Trinity.
                            Project Acturas was a piece of tech the Ancients designed to tap Vacuum energy from our own Universe, but it was shut down coz it caused dangerous exotic matter particals to be created which couldn't be contained.
                            The power output was said to be as limitless as the scope of the Universe itself and even at 50% it could generate the power of a dozen ZPMs.
                            The weapon that was tied into Acturas was able to take out an entire fleet of Wraith ships.

Comment

Didn't it say that it took out those Wraith ships because it malfunctioned? Like what McKay did, but in a smaller area? The Ancients were able to disable it in time, but they died along with everyone else in that region of the planet. At least, that's what I think I heard.....

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X