San Francisco?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

San Francisco?

this is driving me bonkers. what is it with sci-fi and san-fran?.

spoilers for Atlantis EATG
    Spoiler:
    atlantis touches down there,
    starfleet is based there, sliders is set there (to start), x3 has its finali there, and many more, there are absoluly loads of sci fi where san-fran is a key location.

so firstly can we name all the sci-fi that features san-fran
    and second dus anybody know a reason for SF being set there a lot of the time
    Last edited by KatG; 28 January 2009, 09:45 AM. Reason: added spoiler tags

Maybe because of the great diversity of cultures in San Fransico, New York City would make more sense though...

Comment

I agree with you there, why san fran?
      Atlantis should have landed in the Atlantic, maybe off the coast of Ireland, lol.
      Whatever the ancients can do we can, eventually, do better.

Comment

I can't say for Star Trek but I know the reason

Spoiler:
        Atlantis landing by San Francisco
        is due to its recognizable landmark meaning the Golden Gate bridge
        Last edited by KatG; 28 January 2009, 09:45 AM. Reason: added spoiler tags
        Originally posted by aretood2
        Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
          I can't say for Star Trek but I know the reason

Spoiler:
          Atlantis landing by San Francisco
          is due to its recognizable landmark meaning the Golden Gate bridge
          theres plenty more in the way of well known skylines and landmarks, the statue of liberty (n.y), the cliffs of dover (u.k), hawaii's coast, the coast of new zealand, or for the sake of ironey... exactly where it left earth from in the first place
          Last edited by KatG; 28 January 2009, 09:46 AM.

Comment

This may sound arrogant but Stargate is produced mainly for the Americans as its only there ratings that matter so you are going to want to make it a landmark they can recognize. So I don't think the Cliffs of Dover or New Zeeland would be recognizable to the average American. Also there aren't many big landmarks that will make a person think Hawaii. As for New York I believe it was said it was unrealastic to include the Statue of Liberty as apparently their is a lot more boat travel in that port compared to San Fransico.
            Originally posted by aretood2
            Jelgate is right

Comment

Plausible deniabilty for when the real aliens land there methinks?

Comment

This may sound arrogant but Stargate is produced mainly for the Americans as its only there ratings that matter so you are going to want to make it a landmark they can recognize. So I don't think the Cliffs of Dover or New Zeeland would be recognizable to the average American. Also there aren't many big landmarks that will make a person think Hawaii. As for New York I believe it was said it was unrealastic to include the Statue of Liberty as apparently their is a lot more boat travel in that port compared to San Fransico.
                no you dont sound arrogant but i do think your selling americans a bit short, im shure most people in the civilised world can spot a number of places and not just those close to home. as for hawaii the entire chain of islands are instantly recognisable to almost everybody

im not even shure the bay is wide enough for atlantis
                Last edited by toby1kanobi; 28 January 2009, 09:34 AM. Reason: adding content

Comment

for the Americans as its only there ratings that matter
                  Why do people keep saying that?

International distribution is crucial to Stargate's success. Every country that buys the show has its own ratings system. If a Stargate doesn't get good ratings in Country X, Country X isn't going to want to buy it anymore or is going to pay MGM less money for it. If Country X doesn't buy it anymore, that's less revenue to support the show. If you have less countries buying the show, the whole business model is blown.

Ratings matter everywhere that the show is broadcast. It's misinformation like this that gives people outside the U.S. the impression that they can illegally watch the show with no consequences.

Comment

Please remember to add spoiler tags when mentioning events in episodes that haven't yet aired in syndication.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MediaSavant View Post

International distribution is crucial to Stargate's success. Every country that buys the show has its own ratings system. If a Stargate doesn't get good ratings in Country X, Country X isn't going to want to buy it anymore or is going to pay MGM less money for it. If Country X doesn't buy it anymore, that's less revenue to support the show. If you have less countries buying the show, the whole business model is blown.

Ratings matter everywhere that the show is broadcast. It's misinformation like this that gives people outside the U.S. the impression that they can illegally watch the show with no consequences.
                      youve nit the nail on the head with that one

Comment

Spoiler:
                        they landed off the coast off California and they thought hey we can show atlantis by the golden gate and it make a beutiful last scene.and we all know new york is only used for being the site for destruction is scifi.
                        as for X3 they chose SF because magneto could do that badass move with the golden gate bridge.

Comment

Originally posted by MediaSavant View Post

The Nielsen rating's only take into account the ratings from the US. That's what that means.
                          Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!

Comment

To be honest, I don't get what the big deal is. I live in New York (Not the city, but the state.) and while it would have been nice to have the Statue of Liberty, I don't mind having the Golden Gate Bridge in San Fran...

Besides, it was stated on Mallozzi's blog that they used Google Earth and noticed it wouldn't have been possible to have
                            Spoiler:
                            Atlantis land near the Statue of Liberty
                            so they decided on the next, most recognizable landmark near a body of water in America and that was the Golden Gate Bridge.

Source: http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...our-questions/
                            The source is in spoilers below.
                            Spoiler:
                            Morjana writes: “[…] 2) Having lived in the San Francisco Bay Area for many years, I noticed that Atlantis was NOT in San Francisco Bay, but outside the Bay, in the Pacific, looking into San Francisco Bay, through the Golden Gate Bridge . (Which is why you can see the Berkeley Hills in background, and the Fort Point arch on the right hand side of the bridge.) I’m presuming Atlantis landed way further out in the Pacific, and then somehow made its way to the San Francisco area. Was this written in homage to Star Trek, as Star Trek Academy and Starfleet Command are based in San Francisco…in the future, of course?”

Paul: A lot of people have asked about the Star Trek connection, so let me explain what happened. We knew we wanted the city to come down somewhere on Earth. We also knew we wanted some recognizable landmark to be visible once it was down (if they were just in the middle of the ocean, the view wouldn’t have been any different from the way it was in Pegasus for the last five years.) In my mind, the city would have to come in at an angle over open water, then land - as softly as possible - within sight of a coast. But what coast? What landmark? Martin and Carl were insistent that it should be the Statue of Liberty, but when you Google Earth it, you realize it’s almost completely surrounded by land. There’s just no real open water there. Tough to bring the city down and leave it there cloaked for any length of time without anyone noticing and/or getting killed. And so we settled on San Francisco and the Golden gate, and I was very insistent that it be the view from the ocean looking into the bay, and not the other way around, as you noticed. As for the Star Trek connection, I’m sad to say it was a pure coincidence.

To be honest, it was a beautiful view. I am happy with it.
                            Last edited by Orion Antreas; 28 January 2009, 12:02 PM. Reason: Added in the source.

There are no regrets. Thank you Brad Wright and everyone else for SGU,
                            and the amazing Stargate franchise in general.

Comment

But San Francisco has ships coming and going all the time.

Spoiler:
                              How is Atlantis going to be sitting in the middle of the bay without somebody finding out? It might be cloaked, but a ship might hit it, or the wake is going to hit Atlantis when ships go by, proving that something is there that can't be seen.

Comment

Working...
                              X