This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asparagus and the Wraith

I was eating dinner tonight and we had asparagus. I love asparagus, its really good, but its always a pain to get onto your fork, it keeps slipping off. So while I was munching on my asparagus, the Wraith popped into my head.

When I try to eat my asparagus and it falls off my fork. I don't look at it and say things like "Before this day is done, I will feed upon your buttery defiance." Now, this may not seem like a big deal to most people, I'm guessing most people don't speak to their food. Which brings up an interesting point.

If the Wraith thought of us as nothing but food to be eaten, why do they hate us? If a deer tries to run away, we don't hate the dear, its just trying to live. My point is that, if one species uses another as food, there is no emotional attachment to them. If the wraith hate use so, perhaps it was because they were made that way? I think that smiley about covers it.

Or it would just make for boring plots it they didn't.
    Before this day is done, I will feed on your buttery defiance

The Wraith don't just go to Humans R Food to get their supply. They have to hunt for it. I've never gone hunting before, but it seems to be that if you're hunting and you prey keeps getting away you might cuss it out and really start to hate it.
    Rocky

Comment

"Before this day is done, I will feed upon your buttery defiance."

You win at the internet, man.

Comment

The Wraith don't "hate" us. It's more like they're annoyed by us.

Imagine if everytime a farmer walked into his fields, the cows tried to stampede him. It'd get pretty frustrating.
        The Wraith likely find the Atlantis team very annoying. They're the ones teaching the cows to stampede the farmer
        Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

"Before this day is done, I will feed upon your buttery defiance."

They couldn't. They're feeding on humans because they can't get asparagus on their forks. Wouldn't you attack the ones that (occasionally) could ?

Comment

Great. Now I have this permanent mental image of Greg, sneering at Shepard. "Before this day is done, I will feed upon your buttery defiance." I'm going to be absolutely unproductive the rest of the day.

On a more serious note...when was the last time you ate food that could talk back? I mean, aware, sentient, communicative food? Maybe there's a lot of guilt involved in feeding on humans, and evenutally they've projected their guilt into hatred for their prey. So they could probably just get counseling and become vegetarians and do just fine.

Comment

So they could probably just get counseling and become vegetarians and do just fine.
              Until the ranchers get together with the scientists, and genetically engineer plants that scream when you cut them.
              Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

I'm a plant scientist, and I got to wondering...WHY would you do that? You'd never harvest again!

Comment

Asparagus does strange things to one's mind....

From experience I know that the calmer the animal at the time of its,... er... demise... the more tender the meat.

Perhaps the Wraith prefer the taste of abject fear or courageous defiance - maybe it tastes buttery to them?

If so, then they will go out of their way to terrorize their food, just as we take extra steps to tenderize ours.

Gracie

A Cherokee elder sitting with his grandchildren told them,
                  "In every life there is a terrible fight – a fight between two wolves.
                  One is evil: he is fear, anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity,
                  resentment, and deceit. The other is good: joy, serenity, humility,
                  confidence, generosity, truth, gentleness, and compassion."
                  A child asked, "Grandfather, which wolf will win?"
                  The elder looked the child in the eye. "The one you feed."

Comment

Maybe they're just really hacked off that their food keeps talking back to them? Like Alice at the end of Through the Looking-Glass, when she can't eat anything because the food keeps introducing itself.
                    Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                    - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Prophet
                      Maybe they're just really hacked off that their food keeps talking back to them? Like Alice at the end of Through the Looking-Glass, when she can't eat anything because the food keeps introducing itself.
                      Didn't seem to bother Zaphod at Milliway's.

The wraith are really gluttonous, having to eat the whole human at once. If they'd just take a little of each dish at the buffet, I bet everyone could get along.

Comment

Originally posted by blingaway
                        Didn't seem to bother Zaphod at Milliway's.

The wraith are really gluttonous, having to eat the whole human at once. If they'd just take a little of each dish at the buffet, I bet everyone could get along.
                        And that, my friend, is what we call a plot bunny.
                        Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
                        - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Working...
                        X