X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gates

Please, advise anyone:

let me get this straight: there is only one gate on Atlantis? So far? There is no orbiting gate in space over their planet as shown for the planet in 38 Minutes? This is for a fic. It doesn't make sense they'd have a gate in space along with the Atlantis city one but then again, some people own two or more cars for convenience sake.

thanks if anyone can answer this. i like to be accurate but sometimes we have to guesstimate (or lie).

Only one gate. If there was another gate there, the address would be identical, and since the one in the city is connected to the DHD, it's the one that would receive all the incoming wormholes.
    Rocky

Comment

maybe you could write in some way that the ancients made two gates for the planet. i mean, they're like super advanced. i dont think it would be beyond them. (if you were going to come up with a way that the ancients made two gates, then you'd have to explain how they did it in pretty good detail.)
      ROFLMAO Check This Out!!!

Comment

Well, they invented the Gates. If you wanted, you could have as many Gates as you liked. The real trick would be identifying which one you wanted when you wanted it. It would be easy enough to say that the incoming DHD signal indicated a Gate which triggered a switching circuit on Atlantis to access Gate X over Gate Y; issues of Gate dominance are unlikely to trouble the Gatebuilders for more than a lazy Sunday afternoon's tinkering.

Now, the problem is that there is no sign that the DHDs in Pegasus have any such function. Of course, if you wanted a space Gate you could say that the function is built into the DHD in the 'jumper, they just haven't accessed it yet.

The only question then is: "Why would you want multiple Gates?"
        Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
        - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Originally posted by lionel_pendergast_rocks
          maybe you could write in some way that the ancients made two gates for the planet. i mean, they're like super advanced. i dont think it would be beyond them. (if you were going to come up with a way that the ancients made two gates, then you'd have to explain how they did it in pretty good detail.)

You and Mr. Prophet have some good ideas. I do like to stick to canon as much as possible but I am not "married to it" as my nephew would say. I would want to explain why there is another gate. I don't know, maybe a second orbiting gate would be the general seating admission gate? 3rd class? The fancy Atlantis one is for the king and queen of Atlantis, first class, features caviar on the menu, champagne. kidding.

I will only need one, so the "real" one will do. Just need to rewrite a little bit.

thanks for all your help you are all most appreciated.

Comment

Hmm. The only reason I can think that you wouldn't want to bring a 'jumper straight into the Gatrium would be for security reasons. So, as you say, your diplomatic and military traffic comes through the Atlantis Gate, whereas no-clearance havin' sumbitses have to arrive in orbit and go through customs.
            Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
            - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Working...
            X