This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will SGU = Voyager?

While I know we really don't have a good idea what all the details are yet, does anyone else think Stargate Universe will end up being Stargate's versions of Star Trek Voyager?

Here is what I'm thinking:
    -Lost in a Distant Galaxy with no way home
    -Potentially unknown to the rest of the SGC
    -Potentially no contact with Earth
    -Picking up alien crewmates along the way
    -Trying to find a way home
    -Not tied directly to Earth or the SGC
    -I'm sure the list could go on

I'm not saying this is or isn't a bad thing. I liked Star Trek Voyager and I hope Stargate Universe is really awesome, just sounds like they could have some common elements.
    Last edited by Spimman; 26 January 2009, 09:36 AM. Reason: Add a question mark.
    sigpic

that's my worry too. I hate "endless quest" shows

Comment

Originally posted by Spimman View Post
      While I know we really don't have a good idea what all the details are yet, does anyone else think Stargate Universe will end up being Stargate's versions of Star Trek Voyager?

I'm not saying this is or isn't a bad thing. I liked Star Trek Voyager and I hope Stargate Universe is really awesome, just sounds like they could have some common elements.
      I hope so Voyager was awesome!

Comment

The only comparsion to Voyager will be the SGU team trying to get home. And quite frankly that concept has been done many times in SciFi
        Originally posted by aretood2
        Jelgate is right

Comment

No. Altantis was Voyager.

Universe is Atlantis?

Comment

Originally posted by The Prophet View Post
            No. Altantis was Voyager.

While I think the overall franchises are very different. I would think SGA was more like DS9.
            sigpic

Comment

I'm actually sick of the comparisons, to be honest. I don't think it will be. If you've read some of the spoilers for the show already, you would know that some of the things you mentioned aren't true and won't be like Voyager.

Comment

While I think the overall franchises are very different. I would think SGA was more like DS9.
                When Atlantis was in development, there's were loads of people claiming that it would just be a Voyager rip-off, that didn't happen, now they're saying Universe will be a Voyager rip-off, and chances are that won't happen either.

Comment

They aren't in control of the ship. They are stuck on it as it lumbers through the galaxy.

Comment

Originally posted by editorguy View Post
                    They aren't in control of the ship. They are stuck on it as it lumbers through the galaxy.
                    Really? Cool (Showing how little I know about the series)
                    Why can't they control it?

Comment

My thoughts exactly, because in DS9, like in SGA, the frequently got visited by the Federation ships...
                      SG-1 ~ Star Trek TNG, or more like Star Trek with Captain Kirk (because SG-1 wore the ones who start exploring the galaxy)
                      SGA ~ DS9
                      => SGU ~ Star Trek Voyager
                      The enemy of my enemy it's still my enemy.
                      Spoiler:
                      Originally posted by Karhedron
                      I think the thing with the Quantum mirror and The 6th Race would rather result in a thread like

Whoever made the Quantum mirror doesn't like the Asgard .

Whoever made the Quantum mirror doesn't seem to have a lot of respect for the Asgard. They were just making it so they could snub their noses at them from several dimensions. They might have been powerful but their lack of respect for our off-world allies is astonishing.

http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/7...3095364gi3.png

Comment

Originally posted by Invictus View Post
                        My thoughts exactly, because in DS9, like in SGA, the frequently got visited by the Federation ships...
                        SG-1 ~ Star Trek TNG
                        SGA ~ DS9
                        => SGU ~ Star Trek Voyager
                        One can hope Stargate doesn't have their version of ENT
                        Originally posted by aretood2
                        Jelgate is right

Comment

Sure, they'll have common elements (most sci-fi shows do), but I think there will be a lot of differences too. As mentioned, the fact that they can't control the ship is a big difference. The fact that they won't have an actual doctor will be interesting. Where/how they get their supplies could be different, we'll have to wait and see. How they end up on the ship will be different, and how they end up lost will be different. Sure, the general idea of being stranded somewhere unknown and trying to get home is similar to Voyager (as well as to Lost and a bunch of other shows), but I think it will have plenty of unique elements too. Let's wait and see!
                          sigpic
                          FOX Network

Comment

Originally posted by Chaapaai993 View Post
                            Really? Cool (Showing how little I know about the series)
                            Why can't they control it?
                            It's automated. They CAN do stuff on the ship.. but they aren't flying it around.

Comment

While I am looking forward to SGU, I have been hesitant about it from the beginning. It, too, sounded like the Stargate's answer to Star Trek: Voyager to me, but I also don't know if this is a good thing or a bad thing. I guess we'll just have to wait and find out.

As of yet I have not decided if I am excited or not, but I am very curious.
                              thankee toasteronfire

Comment

Working...
                              X