Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Anyone Else Extremely Angry With "Enemy At the Gate"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Anyone Else Extremely Angry With "Enemy At the Gate"?

I'm usually not one to complain about Atlantis episodes, but this episode really made me angry, even more because it was the final episode of the series. Atlantis deserved a much a better ending than that.

Some of my problems are:

1. First, all of sudden the Wraith acquired many ZPM's without showing maybe how they acquired all of these Z)PM's. (At least Spoils of War showed us how the Wraith acquired one ZPM

2. The battle between the Superhive and the Daedalus seemed to short with the Daedalus just firing its beam weapons only once and standing there while the Superhive shot at it. No moving around, no missiles, no nothing just a couple of shots and the Daedalus is down.

3. The extremely long time it took to get the Daedalus fixed I think over a week or something, while their was no extreme structural damage (like chunks of the ship missing). Normally I wouldn't comment on this but seeing the amount of damage that Daedalus class ships can take I am doubting this.

4. The Apollo and Sun Tzu taking on the Superhive without showing it and the extremely long time for repairs on both ships, but if they just stood their like the Daedalus I wouldn't be surprised. Also the Odyssey conveniently not being there.

5. Todd's information giving Atlantis 2 more ZPM's without seeing how or where they get them. ( I don't mind Atlantis having its full compliment of ZPM's but not showing where they came from or maybe even a battle in getting them or showing Lorne in command of a team)

6. Sheppard at the last minute being returned to Earth to control the chair, which I'm sure that Earth should have more people to do that including Oneil. (That should be apart of homeworld security)

7. Colonel Carter being in charge of Earth's security. Don't get me wrong it was good showing Amanda Tapping but shouldn't their be U.S. generals, representatives from the I.O.A, perhaps generals from the countries involved in the I.O.A.

8. The lack of defense of Earth. The only defense Earth had was 302's? No other fighters, I know there is the issue of being classified but when the planet is being threatened I think it wouldn't matter. Also the chair being moved to Area 51 a U.S military base! I thought that was the last thing the I.O.A. wanted. Plus the destruction of the Chair something that has been vital to the protection of Earth being so easily destroyed. I thought Area 51 like all other top secret U.S bases had many levels and wouldn't be so easily destroyed. Also that means that any advance technology that we had acquired in Area 51 was destroyed.

9. The infiltration of the Hive Ship instead of trying to blow it up. Even if Atlantis didn't have nukes, send anything instead of a team, where they would be outnumbered by the thousands. Also the death of Ronon and conveniently bringing him back again.

10. The magical new wormhole drive that has never been mentioned before or even hinted at and now suddenly can be activated.

11. I understand Atlantis' shield being weakened from the strained and everything, but how now sparks fly from nowhere and how the shields are now measured in strength out of 100% which cancels any notion of the fans figuring out how Atlantis' shields functioned.

12. How where drones could barely do damage to the Superhive but I missile from a 302 could pierce through. Also, the superhive should have had a better death than just a nuke exploding inside of it, it just has become so redundant.

13. How there is no splash when Atlantis drops near the Golden Gate Bridge and the sudden last minute cloak. Unless the Cloak takes Atlantis out of phase then their should be a splash. Also the fact that they still managed to keep Atlantis a secret after all that I mean just reveal it already.

14. And finally, the whole superhive concept. I mean this episode shows that Wraith technology can actually best Ancient technology with the right amount of power. I mean nothing could defeat this ship not the Asgard Plasma beam weapons or drones could defeat this ship, also the incredible speed of this ship. In "Allies" at least they gave a background as to how the Wraith upgraded their hyperdrives rather than simply "well they have more power" I know that how fast a ship travels in hyperspace depends on the power given to the hyperdrive, but I always thought their would be more work than that as shown on "Lost City Part 2" when Oneil upgraded the hyperdrive on the Tel'tak and in "Aurora" when it took a time and calculations to upgrade their hyperdrive.

- I know this is long but I really felt that Atlantis deserved much better than this episode. It felt as if it was rushed, not thought out, and simply the writers did not care about the fans. Does anyone else feel as I do?

Originally posted by dominiator4ever View Post

1. First, all of sudden the Wraith acquired many ZPM's without showing maybe how they acquired all of these Z)PM's. (At least Spoils of War showed us how the Wraith acquired one ZPM
    They acquired more than 1 ZPM. Watch the intro of Spoils of War again.

Besides, you don't send a bunch of darts into an empty Asuran city to gather only 1 ZPM (there's no need for any kind of protection). Every dart probably got 1 each.

2. The battle between the Superhive and the Daedalus seemed to short with the Daedalus just firing its beam weapons only once and standing there while the Superhive shot at it. No moving around, no missiles, no nothing just a couple of shots and the Daedalus is down.
    To be fair, we've never really seen Daedalus classes manuever much at all. I don't think they're built for it. Also, after the initial barrage, their weapons went down and that was the end of that.

5. Todd's information giving Atlantis 2 more ZPM's without seeing how or where they get them. ( I don't mind Atlantis having its full compliment of ZPM's but not showing where they came from or maybe even a battle in getting them or showing Lorne in command of a team)
    See above. The # of ZPMs in Todd's possession is a question mark.

6. Sheppard at the last minute being returned to Earth to control the chair, which I'm sure that Earth should have more people to do that including Oneil. (That should be apart of homeworld security)
    But Sheppard's the best. Besides, it's not like it's a pain to get him there or anything; just a step through the Gate.

7. Colonel Carter being in charge of Earth's security. Don't get me wrong it was good showing Amanda Tapping but shouldn't their be U.S. generals, representatives from the I.O.A, perhaps generals from the countries involved in the I.O.A.
    Yeah, that would've been nice, but you can only do so much with limited time and budget.

12. How where drones could barely do damage to the Superhive but I missile from a 302 could pierce through.
    Wasn't the missile inside of the ship when it blew? It would've been within the super armor and should have no problem destroying the Hive.

13. How there is no splash when Atlantis drops near the Golden Gate Bridge and the sudden last minute cloak. Unless the Cloak takes Atlantis out of phase then their should be a splash. Also the fact that they still managed to keep Atlantis a secret after all that I mean just reveal it already.
    There was a computer screen that showed Atlantis splashing down in the middle of the Pacific. That's where it touched down (and there was a splash, I'm sure), and it must've gotten close to San Fran by its own power, while cloaked.

14. And finally, the whole superhive concept. I mean this episode shows that Wraith technology can actually best Ancient technology with the right amount of power. I mean nothing could defeat this ship not the Asgard Plasma beam weapons or drones could defeat this ship, also the incredible speed of this ship. In "Allies" at least they gave a background as to how the Wraith upgraded their hyperdrives rather than simply "well they have more power" I know that how fast a ship travels in hyperspace depends on the power given to the hyperdrive, but I always thought their would be more work than that as shown on "Lost City Part 2" when Oneil upgraded the hyperdrive on the Tel'tak and in "Aurora" when it took a time and calculations to upgrade their hyperdrive.
    More power must makes it easier to upgrade their hyperdrive...

- I know this is long but I really felt that Atlantis deserved much better than this episode. It felt as if it was rushed, not thought out, and simply the writers did not care about the fans. Does anyone else feel as I do?
    How can you say that? Of course they care; though they may do things you do not agree with. That said, it was indeed rushed.

Comment

was I angry when I saw EatG? No. Was I laughing when I saw EatG? Yes.
      Stolen Kosovo
      sigpic

Comment

EATG was a very bad way of sending off Stargate : Atlantis.
        Wormhole drive? Seriously?
        And didn't anyone notice that when the hive blew up, the whole thing exploded at once?
        By right, the part where the nuke when off should have exploded first and then only followed by the rest of the ship. Simply put, the writers don't respect us fans enough. We have spent time, money and even dedicated part of our lives to SGA (I'm not a ultra-fanatic but SGA did have a permanent fixture in my schedule) and this is how they treat us?

Anyone second me if I suggest that we strap them to a tree and lynch them?

Comment

In my opinion it wasn't a bad episode it was just rushed and unfinished - 7/10 from me.

Anyone wanting to comment on how they could have changed the episode for the better, feel free to post on this thread I made about it.

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=63223
          Enjoying Stargate's Technobabble since 1997

If you like the Gateworld podcast be sure to listen the The 5th Race Podcast for a fan's view of the Stargate Franchise! and join the forums while you at it![/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by PantheraLeo View Post
            Simply put, the writers don't respect us fans enough. We have spent time, money and even dedicated part of our lives to SGA (I'm not a ultra-fanatic but SGA did have a permanent fixture in my schedule) and this is how they treat us?
            My God, the unfounded entitlement in your post is disgusting.

Money? Yeah, that's why it's called a product. Don't pretend that you're buying DVDs or whatever to support the show ONLY - obviously you buy it because you want the things; they don't owe you anything for that. As for time, oh my, sooooo much effort spent plopping your ass down on the couch and watching TV every Friday night for 20 weeks a year, and most of the time getting entertained in the process (I'm assuming), that's sooooooo hard they should owe you stuff!

Meanwhile, they go into work 5 days a week, 8 hours a day churning out ideas while making sure that it's on budget; then writing beat sheets and outlines and a few drafts of the script before getting the one final draft that will become the episode; then, hundreds of people put in 12-hour days to shoot the episode, making sure all the costumes and props and make-up and sets and lighting are all up to scratch. Then, the producers spent hours watching dailies, and then various cuts of the episode. Then, the CGI artists put in their work, etc. etc. etc before it's finally put on screen.

And then you go and make post like that. Yeah, THEY're the ones not respecting YOU. Sure. Uh huh.

Note that you're perfectly within your right to not like the episode, but what you wrote was just soooo much BS it's not even funny.
            Last edited by PG15; 25 January 2009, 07:16 PM.

Comment

I'm more disappointed than angry. I didn't care for Atlantis initially but it grew on me.

Comment

Originally posted by Javaguru View Post
                I'm more disappointed than angry. I didn't care for Atlantis initially but it grew on me.
                yeah I thought it was a cheap spin off of SG-1 you know the company squeezing more money out of the gullible but yeah I grew to love it for its unique storyline and emphasis on characters.

Comment

Originally posted by Replicator Fifth View Post
                  yeah I thought it was a cheap spin off of SG-1 you know the company squeezing more money out of the gullible but yeah I grew to love it for its unique storyline and emphasis on characters.
                  McKay became one of my favorite characters. Before, I was rooting for Carter to put him in his place.

Comment

McKay became one of my favorite characters. Before, I was rooting for Carter to put him in his place.
                    yeah me too

Comment

I kinda agree. The first season was really great but, for me it was just down hill from there. I groaned when they brought the replicators back. They said they didn;t want to borrow from SG-1 but they did anyway. I think they didn't really understand how lucky they got with Sg-1. Not that Atlantis didn't have great episodes but the writing was just not up to par. But thats just me.

O'Neill: Well, I suppose now is the time for me to say something profound...
                      Nothing comes to mind.

Comment

Originally posted by dominiator4ever View Post
                        I'm usually not one to complain about Atlantis episodes, but this episode really made me angry, even more because it was the final episode of the series. Atlantis deserved a much a better ending than that.

Some of my problems are:

The intro showed he only got one but later in the ep he stated he aquired more. Todd connected the events in that ep when he told Shep that he acquired more than he let on.

That's because we've never come across a ship that can fire a dozen shots at once overloading our sensors, weapons, and shields. And our strongest weapons didn't even make a dent why waste missiles?

3. The extremely long time it took to get the Daedalus fixed I think over a week or something, while their was no extreme structural damage (like chunks of the ship missing). Normally I wouldn't comment on this but seeing the amount of damage that Daedalus class ships can take I am doubting this.
                        Check again. The Daedalus suffered massive damage and the 304 class ships can take a lot unless it is being overpowered by a more powerful ship.

4. The Apollo and Sun Tzu taking on the Superhive without showing it and the extremely long time for repairs on both ships, but if they just stood their like the Daedalus I wouldn't be surprised. Also the Odyssey conveniently not being there.
                        Lack of time was the reason there and while I would have loved to see that it didn't hurt it.

Unnecessary showing it when a logical reason was given.

People that could do it? Yes. People with his expertise and experience? Nope.

Technically? Yes. In general base commanders are a higher rank than Col. however she has already commanded Atlantis and is highly qualified to run the SGC while Landry is not there.

8. The lack of defense of Earth. The only defense Earth had was 302's? No other fighters, I know there is the issue of being classified but when the planet is being threatened I think it wouldn't matter. Also the chair being moved to Area 51 a U.S military base! I thought that was the last thing the I.O.A. wanted. Plus the destruction of the Chair something that has been vital to the protection of Earth being so easily destroyed. I thought Area 51 like all other top secret U.S bases had many levels and wouldn't be so easily destroyed. Also that means that any advance technology that we had acquired in Area 51 was destroyed.
                        What other fighters? Regular fighters would have been just as useless. As for moving the chair no that makes sense considering the issues they were having with it being in Antarctica. As for Area 51 it is a top secret base but it's existence was released to the public ages ago.

9. The infiltration of the Hive Ship instead of trying to blow it up. Even if Atlantis didn't have nukes, send anything instead of a team, where they would be outnumbered by the thousands. Also the death of Ronon and conveniently bringing him back again.
                        They needed intel and this was the best way to get it. Disagree on Ronon too.

10. The magical new wormhole drive that has never been mentioned before or even hinted at and now suddenly can be activated.
                        I'll grant you this was a plot device but not an issue IMO.

11. I understand Atlantis' shield being weakened from the strained and everything, but how now sparks fly from nowhere and how the shields are now measured in strength out of 100% which cancels any notion of the fans figuring out how Atlantis' shields functioned.
                        Huh?

12. How where drones could barely do damage to the Superhive but I missile from a 302 could pierce through. Also, the superhive should have had a better death than just a nuke exploding inside of it, it just has become so redundant.
                        Um because drones are more powerful? The explosion was sweet IMO and done well.

There was a splash and no revealing the program would not be a good idea IMO.

What's the issue with the Wraith developing bigger and better ships?

Sorry no. It was a little rushed but a great ending to the show IMO.
                        Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                        "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                        Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

I was more upset with the CSI:Atlantis that preceeded the final episode. When they found out they weren't coming back for another season, they should've scrapped the idea and set up the final episode better. So that everything in it wasn't SO convenient...

Comment

I am more confuzzled if anything. I am confused at the people being angry at this episode. But whatever, I sometimes can never get some people's opinions. Yes, they are only people's opinions and needed to be taken with a grain of salt.

EATG was a good send off for the 5 year series that should of lasted more seasons.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
                              I am more confuzzled if anything. I am confused at the people being angry at this episode. But whatever, I sometimes can never get some people's opinions. Yes, they are only people's opinions and needed to be taken with a grain of salt.

EATG was a good send off for the 5 year series that should of lasted more seasons.
                              Agreed. While I liked Unending and felt the same EATG was definitely a great finale.
                              Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                              "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                              Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Working...
                              X