I'm not posting my Sanctuary spec script

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not posting my Sanctuary spec script

But I am jazzed about how it's turning out so I will describe dramatic elements without giving any hints about the specific application of those elements.

Spoiler tags are for space-management only, not true Spoilage

Ashley/Druitt B story
    Spoiler:
    It's the B story I'm most proud of. Ashley's character arc goes through such a dramatic sweep, it almost comes full circle, leaving her just a tad darker than where Revelations, Part II left her and with significantly less hope for a quick recovery.

Druitt's arc does a lot to resolve his future role in the show. Let's face it. The need to do something with Druitt to keep him on the show is a problem. If he's accepted by the Sanctuary team, instant transportation is too powerful, like invisibility. Our heroes don't get to be the underdog in a conflict except under such specific circumstances, you'd spend half an episode just setting up the conflict. If he is rejected outright by the Sanctuary team, it would be over something that would close up that angst-ridden series arc where we wonder if Helen will ever take a risk on him again. She won't.

By the end of the episode, Druitt has a secret he must keep from Helen to protect her. The secret gives him a reason to continue wandering the world doing secret things Helen would NOT approve of and only able to drop by the Sanctuary occasionally.

So far, the Act breaks are timing out just right, but, if I need to, I can drag Henry into being privy to part of Druitt's secret. Druitt pleading his case for Henry's silence would help in expositing a plausible case for a morally just motive behind Druitt's morally ambivalent work. If that's fudging the act breaks, it's at least good quality Mackinac Island fudge.

A story
    Spoiler:
    The A story is heart wrenching. It draws on different elements of mythologies from around the world surrounding the nature of the abnormality. At least one is clearly stated: "The ---'s of X-country were said to be able to ----" and the abnormal is clearly of X origin. At least one is completely hidden within a necessary story beat: an action that is said to ward off a curse related to the abnormality resolves a crisis stemming from the abnormality. Unfortunately or forturnately, the action is so necessary and logical, I can't have the characters question it to point out its relationship to the superstition.

The suspected cause of the abnormality might make a diagnostician grin due to the relationship between diagnostic jargon describing the microscopic morphology associated with the suspected cause and a macroscopic description of the abnormality, but our heroes have to miss out on that joke because discovering it doesn't advance the story (I guess Helen would get it, though.).

There's some extra drama stemming from Helen having her own problem (B story) to attend to, but not being able to turn away from helping once the fall-out becomes more apparent.

A+B=wrap-up
    Spoiler:
    The A story and B story intertwine in the end where a discovery made in the A story is applied to the B story. There is also a parallel between the stories where questions exposed about the A story potentially answer character motive questions in the B story.

"I have darkness inside of me!" - SpongeBob Squarepants

Sounds interesting, I however hope they have more John Druitt in season 2, just because he is my favourite character. I do agree that they'll have to come up with some means of fixing the "convenience" factor of his transporting thing. I think he should go looking for Ashley
    Spoiler:
    Cause they both teleport so it would make for an interesting chase. Also Druitt has been where Ashley is now so he best could speak to her.
    I am very interested in seeing what happens with Ashley... I also want to see more Henry stuff. I don't think they've expanded on him enough...

So are you writing your own episode of Sanctuary, or are you writing a fan fiction type deal?

"Yes Rodney, I shot you, and I said I was sorry!" ~Sheppard
    (one of my favourite lines)

Comment

I'm writing to break into screenwriting. I'm just using the shows I'm most passionate about to get better at storytelling in the appropriate format.

Ideally, this script will help me get an agent before it becomes too outdated.

I just hope I can fall out of love with the one hour, Teaser + Five Acts format long enough to do those 12 minute children's show specs I'm supposed to be working on.

Edit: I love your sig. One of my favorite lines is "I'm sorry for shooting everybody!"
      Last edited by GateFanSamJack; 23 January 2009, 01:33 PM. Reason: given

Comment

I finished it a couple days ago. My brother-in-law (directs theater) is proofing it. I'm working on my sci-fi series pilot spec script while I wait.

It was super-fun to do - Sanctuary characters are SO fun to write. You know you've found something you love to do when you tell yourself. "I'll stop writing long enough to unload the dishwasher and then reward myself by writing another scene."

It's exciting to finish something like that, but so gut-grinding to have to wait to find out whether it's any good or not (or whether my brother-in will have the cajones to be brutally constructive).

Comment

Working...
        X