Plot details for J.J. Abrams STAR TREK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Plot details for J.J. Abrams STAR TREK

In 1994, STAR TREK: GENERATIONS found Malcolm McDowell desperately trying to return to the Nexus by any means necessary, including the sacrifice of billions of innocent people as he wiped out a whole galaxy so he could cross paths with the gateway to eternity. Kirk and Picard saved the day, using time travel.

In 1996, STAR TREK: FIRST CONTACT found the Borg time traveling back in time to wipe out the whole of human race on Earth in the 23rd century.

In 2009, J.J. Abrams’ STAR TREK will find Eric Bana as the Romulan Nero, going back in time to kill Kirk in the Academy.

But what are his motives? AICN have read the first issue of the IDW Publishing official in-canon comic prequel, whose story has been scribed by writers Alex Kurtzman and Roberto Orci which flesh out the plot for us…

Spoiler:
    In the comic Spock is something of a Jor-El figure, trying to avert a unprecedented natural disaster that threatens to obliterate Romulus and its entire star empire. Spock implores the Romulan senate to seek out the more technically advanced Vulcans; combining Romulan and Vulcan resources, Spock believes, can prevent horrifying cataclysm if they act quickly. But the old-guard Romulan leaders remain suspicious of Spock and the Vulcans, and stall a remedy.

Having had a first-hand encounter with the deadly galaxy-gobbling anomaly, the Romulan Nero (long presumed to be the movie’s villain) is depicted in the comic as Spock’s staunchest ally. He is not a soldier but a selfless and heroic spacefaring miner and guild leader, a caring family man who finds himself risking everything to save his home, wife and unborn son. He is not a Nero content to fiddle as Romulus burns, and his face does not yet bear frightening tattoos.

It’s not much of a leap to speculate that things go very badly with the galaxy-eater. Nero’s family and world, one imagines, will be wiped from existance and Nero will be compelled to travel back in time, to an era just before Jim Kirk’s birth, to set things right.

And, of course, Nero’s attack on a ship carrying Jim Kirk’s pop sets off a mammoth butterfly effect. Which is why, in the trailers, Chris Pike’s Earth-built Enterprise looks like the Enterprise-F and Chekhov now outranks Kirk.
    Other interesting points from the comic are that…

The prequel (and we presume then the movie) is set decades after the events of STAR TREK: NEMESIS.

The Remens, that interesting race of creature first used in the last movie also make an appearance in the comic.

So all in all, it’s pretty much the plot we expected but now that it’s been fleshed out a little more, we can now expect what kind of beats the movie will have. It’s the typical STAR TREK villain trait that “they aren’t bad people really” and are just driven a little bit too obsessively by their own feelings and emotions.

http://www.obsessedwithfilm.com/movi...-star-trek.php

Sounds interesting enough.
    sigpic
    MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
    "...phu...ah..."
    "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
    Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

I'm guessing something Kirk does causes Nero's problems, and so Nero sees killing Kirk as a way to set things right. Sounds really good, as long as nero isn't trying to use a Genesis device, or tharelon or metaphasic radiation. Then it would be old and unoriginal.
      For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. -Jeremiah 29:11

Comment

After hearing Leonard Nimoy's comments about this film, I am even more excited about it. I can't wait to see this on the big screen.
        sigpic
        "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Another Time travel story. Wil the madness ever end?!
          (100th post!)
          For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. -Jeremiah 29:11

Comment

Originally posted by ReFRidgerator View Post
            Another Time travel story. Wil the madness ever end?!
            (100th post!)
            If this movie is good enough, hopefully the "madness" won't end.
            sigpic
            "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
              If this movie is good enough, hopefully the "madness" won't end.
              I agree

Star Trek For Life!
              sigpic

Comment

I really hope this movie invigorates the franchise.
                sigpic
                "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Issue 1 of the Comics is sold out, I wish that I had the oppertunity to look it over.
                  Sheppard's team runs into Kolya on a planet:

Koyla:"That's right Sheppard, I've got you right where I want you. And there's nothing you can do about it. Your plan was flawed, mine is perfect.This time I have a new gotee, and a black cloak. And I know for a fact that anyone would be scared of that. Now give me the ZPM or I'll kill the guy with the dreadlocks."

5 seconds later....

Kolya is hanging from a tree by his underwear.

Wa Wa Waaaaa.....

Comment

Originally posted by J_schinderlin56 View Post
                    Issue 1 of the Comics is sold out, I wish that I had the oppertunity to look it over.
                    You mean the prequel comic? Because I have that issue.
                    sigpic
                    "...phu...ah..."

Comment

Working...
                    X