This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2009 Sci-Fi/Fantasy Movie Preview

Rollicking robots, violent superheroes and lesbian vampire killers... Yes, it looks like being another great year for fans of all things fantastic. Matt McAllister takes a look at some of the genre highlights of 2009…

JAN-JUNE

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
    6 February 2009 (UK); Out now (US)
    David Fincher’s latest movie is the tragic-comic story of the titular character, who is born as an old man and gradually ages backwards. With critics already raving about the movie, it looks set to rank as one of the year’s best.

The Secret of Moonacre
    Release date: 6 February 2009 (UK); US release date: TBC
    An orphan goes to live with her eccentric uncle, where she discovers that she is the last Moon Princess in this family fantasy from Gabor Csupo (Bridge to Terabithia).

Bolt
    UK release date: 6 February 2009 (US release date November 2008)
    Advance word is good on Disney’s CG comedy, which is produced by Pixar’s John Lasseter. Bolt is a kind-hearted canine who plays a superhero on a TV show – and who believes his powers are actually real. Kid-friendly chuckles guaranteed.

Friday the 13th
    UK & US release date: 13 February 2009
    Bloody remake of the seminal slasher.

Push
    UK release date: 20 February 2009; US release date: 6 February 2009
    Psychic espionage thriller from the director of Gangster No 1, Paul McGuigan.

Outlander
    UK release date: 20 February 2009; US release date: TBC
    It’s got Vikings, a bloodthirsty monster, John Hurt and Ron Perlman… What more could you want? Think Predator meets Pathfinder.

The Unborn
    UK release date: 27 February 2009; US release date: Out now
    David S Goyer's supernatural thriller about a woman haunted by a demonic spirit.

Watchmen
    UK & US release date: 6 March 2009
    Zach Snyder’s adaptation of Alan Moore’s seminal graphic novel is one of the most eagerly anticipated movies of the year, and the trailer looks awesome. Let’s just hope that Fox and Warner Bros resolve their copyright wrangling and the movie is released on schedule.

Lesbian Vampire Killers
    UK release date: 20 March 2009; US release date: TBC
    Gavin and Stacey’s Matthew Horne and James Corden reteam in this horror comedy about, well, lesbian vampire killers.

Knowing
    UK release date: 27 March 2009; US release date: 20 March 2009
    New sci-fi mystery from the ever-stylish director of The Crow, Alex Proyas. Nicholas Cage plays the teacher who unearths a time capsule.

Monsters Vs Aliens
    UK release date: 3 April 2009; US release date: 27 March 2009
    Forget Freddy Vs Jason or Alien Vs Predator – this is the ultimate showdown we’ve been waiting for! When evil aliens land on Earth, it’s up to a crack team of monsters to show them who’s boss. The voice cast of the CG comedy includes Seth Rogen, Reece Witherspoon and Hugh Laurie.

Ponyo on the Cliff
    Release date: 3 April 2009 (UK); US release date: TBC
    Hayao Miyazaki, the animation mastermind who gave us Spirited Away and Howl’s Moving Castle, directs this charming story of a child who befriends a goldfish princess. It’s already been met with approval by Japanese audiences and critics alike.

Dragonball: Evolution
    UK release date: 10 April 2009; US release date: 8 April 2009
    Justin Chatwin and James Marsters star in this adaptation of the popular Manga.

Race to Witch Mountain
    UK Release date: 10 April 2009; US release date: 13 March 2009
    1975’s Escape to Witch Mountain and its 1978 follow up Return from Witch Mountain were great family fantasy flicks about two kids with supernatural powers, and we’re hoping that this big budget remake can capture the spirit of the originals. The cast includes Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson and Ciarán Hinds.

Let the Right One In
    UK release date 17 April 2009
    This Swedish vampire flick, based on John Ajvide Lindqvist’s novel, has already notched up several awards, including Best Film at the Fantasia Festival and Best Narrative Feature at the Tribeca Film Festival. An English language remake is already on the cards.

X-Men: Origins: Wolverine
    UK & US release date: 1 May 2009
    X-Men III received a somewhat lukewarm response from critics and audiences, but this action-packed prequel could restore the fortunes of the franchise. Hugh Jackman once again plays the razor-fingered one, while Tsotsi’s Gavin Hood directs.

Star Trek
    UK & US release date: 8 May 2009
    Can JJ Abrams’ reboot of the franchise possibly live up to expectations? Judging by the 20 minutes of footage Total Sci-Fi saw recently, we’re pretty confident that it can…

Coraline
    Release date:15 May 2009 (UK); US release date: 6 February 2009
    Stop-motion director Henry Selick revisits the mixture of darkness and sweetness that marked his much-loved A Nightmare Before Christmas. This time he adapts Neil Gaiman’s book and graphic novel about a girl who stumbles across a doorway to a parallel dimension. Even better, the movie is in 3-D!

Synecdoche, New York
    UK release date: 15 May 2009; US release date: TBC
    There’s another gloriously outlandish concept at the heart of Charlie Kaufman’s latest. A depressed theatre director (Philip Seymour Hoffman) builds a scale version of New York City inside a warehouse – and the fake city gradually begins to echo the real one... In addition to scripting duties, the film also marks Kaufman’s directorial debut.

The Descent 2
    UK release date: 15 May 2009; US release date: TBC
    Neil Marshall’s 2004 horror flick was the frankly terrifying story of female cavers stalked by cannibal mutants. Expert more subterranean bloodletting in Jon Harris’s follow-up.

Night at the Museum 2: Battle of the Smithsonian
    UK & US release date: 22 May 2009
    The original 2006 fantasy comedy was no classic, but it raked in enough box office bucks to warrant this sequel. Ben Stiller, Robin Williams and Ricky Gervais all return.

Terminator Salvation
    UK release date: 5 June 2009; US release date: 22 May 2009
    McG sets out to prove he can deliver something more substantial than Charlie’s Angels with the fourth Terminator movie. Christian Bale plays leader of the resistance, John Connor.

The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus
    UK release date: 6 June 2009; US release date: TBC
    Terry Gilliam’s latest fantasy is the story of a travelling theatre company that invites audience members to explore the depths of their own imaginations. Christopher Plummer plays the immortal Dr Parnassus, while the film also marks the final role for Heath Ledger, who died during the production.

Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen
    UK & US release date: 26 June 2009
    Michael Bay’s follow up to 2007’s mega-hit is another subtle indie drama that throws up more pertinent questions about the modern age... who are we kidding? Expect more rampaging robots, boundary-breaking CG and lots of stuff being smashed up.

http://www.dwscifi.com/features/2954-2009-movie-preview

JULY-DEC

Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs
    UK & US release date: 1 July 2009
    The third in the popular animated series, this time with added T-Rex!

UK & US release date: 10 July 2009
    Yes, OK, so Roland Emmerich’s last movie, 10,000 BC, pretty much sucked, but let’s give the man another chance. His latest sci-fi spectacle sees the end of the world occurring in the titular year. John Cusack and Danny Glover play two plucky survivors.

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
    UK & US release date: 17 July 2009
    Order of the Phoenix director David Yates returns to helm the sixth entry in the boy wizard saga. The regular cast are joined by the imitable Jim Broadbent as Potions Master Horace Slughorn.

The Year One
    UK release date 31 July 2009; US release: 19 June 2009
    Two men (Jack Black and Michael Cera) leave their Biblical-era village in search of the meaning of life in this comedy from Ghostbusters’ director Harold Ramis.

Land of the Lost
    UK release date: 31 July 2009; US release date: 5 June 2009
    Will Ferrell stars in this update of the cult 70s family fantasy series about a trio who are transported into a dino-filled parallel dimension. Cue special effects and Ferrell's usual brand of horseplay.

They Came From Upstairs
    UK & US release date: 31 July 2009
    Kids fend off evil aliens in this family fantasy.

G.I. Joe: Rise of COBRA
    UK release date: 14 August 2009; US release date: 7 August 2009
    Known as ‘Action Force’ in the UK, Hasbro’s action figures were one of the most popular toylines of the 1980s, spawning a spin-off animation series. Now it’s a big budget movie starring Sienna Miller and Christopher Eccleston.

Shorts
    Release date: 14 August 2009; US release date: 7 August 2009
    Shorts marks Robert Rodriguez’s return to the kid-orientated fantasy genre of Spy Kids and The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl. This one’s about a boy who discovers a rock that grants wishes.

Dorian Gray
    UK release date: 11 September 2009; US release date: TBC
    Prince Caspian’s Ben Barnes takes on the title role in this new adaptation of Oscar Wilde’s ever-popular novel.

Men Who Stare at Goats
    UK release date: 25 September 2009; US release date: December 2009
    A reporter in Iraq (George Clooney) comes across a clandestine psychic military unit in this offbeat comedy.

Up
    Release date: 16 October 2009 (UK); US release date: 29 May 2009
    Pixar’s latest animated marvel centres on a geriatric who sets out on a journey to the mountains of Argentina – by fixing balloons to his house and flying there!

The Fantastic Mr. Fox
    UK release date: 23 October 2009; US release date: 6 November 2009
    Wes Anderson takes a break from deadpan indie comedy for this animated adaptation of Roald Dahl’s novel.

A Christmas Carol
    Release date: 13 November 2009; US release date: 6 November 2009
    New animated take on the festive favourite starring a motion-captured Jim Carrey.

The Wolfman
    UK & US release date: 6 November 2009
    Though it suffered from early setbacks with a delayed release date and original director Mark Romanek making way for Joe Johnston (Rocketeer, Jurassic Park III), The Wolfman looks like it could be an intriguing serious horror movie. Benicio Del Toro, currently burning up cinema screens in Steven Soderbergh’s Che, plays the man who becomes a lycanthrope. The cast also includes Emily Blunt and Anthony Hopkins.

Where the Wild Things Are
    UK release date: 11 December 2009; US release date: 16 October 2009
    This has every sign of being an oddball treat. Spike Jonze helms this adaptation of Maurice Sendak’s novel about a boy who visits the weird world of the Wild Ones.

UK & US release date: 18 December 2009
    James Cameron’s much-hyped 3-D SF actioner about an interplanetary war. Sam Worthington and Sigourney Weaver star.

Surrogates
    UK release date: 26 December 2009; US release date: 25 September 2009
    In the future no one will ever leave their house, and humans will communicate through robots – that’s the premise behind Jonathan Mostow’s sci-fi thriller. Bruce Willis plays a grizzly cop for what must be the 900th time in his career.

District 9
    UK release date: TBC; US release date: 14 August 2009
    It’s produced by Peter Jackson. It’s directed by Neill Blomkamp. But as for plot, we still know nothing about this new sci-fi flick…

Kick-Ass
    Release date: TBC
    Mark Millar’s comic book was the brilliantly over-the-top tale of a geeky American teen who decides to don a suit and fight crime, and after the success of the movie version of Millar’s Wanted, it was only a matter of time before Kick-Ass hit the big screen. Matthew Vaughn (Layer Cake, Stardust) takes on directing duties.

District B13: Ultimatum
    Expect more parkour and martial arts in this Serbia-shot sequel to the 2004 French hit.

Moon
    A lonely lunar miner (Sam Rockwell) is plagued by strange visions as he comes to the end of a three-year contract, in this terrific-looking sci-fi drama from director Duncan Jones (the man formerly known as the far less prosaic Zowie Bowie).

The Box
    Most people loved Donnie Darko. Most people hated Southland Tales. So how will Richard Kelly’s latest sci-fi effort fare? Based on a story by Richard Matheson, it’s certainly got a great premise. A couple receive a box that can grant their wishes. But every time they open it somebody dies…

Jennifer’s Body
    UK release date: TBC; US release date: 18 September 2009
    A possessed cheerleader goes on a bloody rampage in this horror comedy scripted by Cody Diablo (Juno).

Vegas Rising: Army of the Dead
    A father attempts to rescue his daughter from zombies in a future Las Vegas.

http://www.dwscifi.com/features/2954-2009-movie-preview

Comment

The ones I'm looking forward to the most are: X-Men: Origins: Wolverine, Terminator Salvation, and Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. The trailers for those three look great.

Next would be these two: Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen and Star Trek.

And after seeing this comparing Forrest Gump to Curious Case of Benjamin Button well...lol.
      IMO always implied.

Comment

Top 9 Uknown Sci-fi Films to look out for in 2009 (bold on the ones I'm particularly interested in)

9. The Time-Traveler's Wife
        8. Radio Free Albemuth
        7. The Box
        6. Surrogates
        5. Franklyn
        4. Game
        3. Hunter Prey
        2. Timecrimes
        1. Moon

Article contains a blurb on each, I recommend the read.
        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

I had almost forgotten about G.I.Joe. I'm definitely seeing that when it comes out.
          sigpic
          MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
          "...phu...ah..."
          "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
          Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

watchmen woo!! and the snyderfest will continue with army of the dead woo!
            Spoiler:
            Disclaimer:
            I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
            Quotes!
            - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
            - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
            - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
            sigpic

Comment

2012 - It looks absolutely epic, you do not got see Roland Emmerich's films for the story, you go for the special effects, I think if you understand this you will enjoy this movie.

Moon, star trek, Avatar - sound like a damn good year for space base/alien planet sci fi, I especially hoping Avatar does well at the cinema.

Watchman, Outlander, Transformers, are a other three films I want to go and see they all sound awesome to me.

I think that my main priorities for cinema viewing this year, If I get to see all of them at cinema I shall be a happy man.

I am actually going to copy them to posts into a note pad file.

Comment

Really looking forward too: X-Men: Origins: Wolverine, Star Trek, Synecdoche, New York, Terminator Salvation, Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen

Shall check out: Push, Outlander, Watchmen, Knowing, 2012, G.I. Joe: Rise of COBRA, Avatar

Might watch on dvd one day: Monsters Vs Aliens, Night at the Museum 2: Battle of the Smithsonian, Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs

Seen The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.
                Science Fiction is an existential metaphor; it allows us to tell stories about the human condition.

Isaac Asimov once said individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation if we are to be saved at all.

[/QUOTE]

SENFORUMS.com

Comment

Movies that pique my interest:

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (good award buzz)
                  Watchmen (great book, though I'm a bit fearful of the movie interpretation)
                  Ponyo on the Cliff (Miyazaki = win)
                  Let the Right One In (I think this is already on DVD in the US? I have it reserved at my library, anyway)
                  Star Trek (with trepidation)
                  Terminator Salvation
                  The Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus (Terry Gilliam!)
                  Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
                  Where the Wild Things Are (potentially trippy)
                  Moon
                  The Box

Movies to lulz at:

Friday the 13th (a remake? seriously?)
                  Lesbian Vampire Killers (LOL!)
                  Dragonball: Evolution (worse than Keanu Reeves playing Spike in Cowboy Bebop)

Comment

Working...
                  X