Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What was the Darkest episode of Stargate Atlantis?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What was the Darkest episode of Stargate Atlantis?

I have always felt that SGA had a darker feel to it. Not BSG dark but darker than SG-1. I think there were several eps that showed this darker drama. What makes a dark ep? Well there are a lot of different opinions. For me? Dark means...

1.)Characters go through a forever change never being the same. (Adrift, Lifeline, The Kindred, BAMSR, Ghost in the Machine)
    2.)Moral and ethical decisions have to be made inorder to preserve life while sacrificing the other. (The Seer, BAMSR, Miller's Crossing)

3.) No hope, or hope is lost. (The Last Man, The Seige Part 2, First Strike)

4.) Characters commit suicide or kill themselves to save others or to preserve life. (Lifeline, Sunday, Ghost in the Machine)

Anyway, just some examples. I think "The Last Man" stands out the most. It reminds me of the most recent BSG episode, but not on that dark level of course.

You basically had people giving up their lives for a cause, and in the end hope seemed to be all gone. It drove one man to set things right, which he devoted his entire life to make things right. These were the real characters we knew, not an alternate reality. It was the events that happened, and they needed to change. Question is do you change a time-line to save a galaxy, where maybe the different time-line is better off for another galaxy? Do you make these moral and ethical decisions to save oneself or is it for the best for everyone?

Anyway, what are your thoughts on the darker elements of SGA. I know a lot of folks would agree, if not, it's cool.
    sigpic

I would probably have to agree with Lifeline and BAMSR.

The Last Man kind of has a dark feel to it too, but since there is actually a solution to the problem in the end of the episode, it doesn't leave that much of a dark impression for me.
    sigpic

Comment

I would have to go with The Last Man and The Kindred pt 2. I wish they could have continued with the Michael-Hybrid arc, and maybe gone a little darker with it. A twisted Wraith-human hybrid turning humans into monsters. If only there weren't so civilized and passive. It was shaping up to be a very controversial arc. It's a shame they had to end it just when it was getting good.
      Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth or easy...

... or that any man can measure the tides and hurricanes he will
      encounter on the strange journey.

Spoiler:

2 Cor. 10:3-5
      3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
      4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
      5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Comment

The Last Man and Vegas; both were just so depressing, but in an awesome way.

Comment

Miller's Crossing is echoing in my head at the moment
          Originally posted by aretood2
          Jelgate is right

Comment

Both Miller's Crossing and Vegas, dark Shep at his best.
            Also Michael, for the medical experimentation.
            Which one had Ronon threatening to torture Kavanaugh?
            And Weir and Sheppard condoned it. That was kinda dark too.
            sigpic

Comment

Poisoning the Well, Michael, Common Ground, Lifeline, Doppelganger, Miller's Crossing, The Kindred, The Last Man, Broken Ties, Remnants
              sigpic
              The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Well, no one episode is entirely dark. They all have elements of darkness, which they balance out with humor. However, I will say that "Vengeance" was dark... literally and figuratively

Anubis 10545 on Stargate Wiki - A database for all Stargate knowledge.

Comment

Originally posted by Anubis10545 View Post
                  Well, no one episode is entirely dark. They all have elements of darkness, which they balance out with humor. However, I will say that "Vengeance" was dark... literally and figuratively
                  I chose eps like Kindred Part 2, and The Last Man, because it had little if any comic relief. Kindred 2 was just sad and very depressing. They lost Teyla and a friend they thought returned had to go in Stasis or he would be dead.

I think Season 4 was the darkest part of the show. From Weir's transformation, to the replicator/Wraith war, to Teyla's abduction and Carson's short-lived return. The season ended on a dark note as well.
                  sigpic

Comment

If you look away from the happy ending, "The Shrine" is pretty sad.

Comment

Originally posted by PullariusCapax View Post
                      If you look away from the happy ending, "The Shrine" is pretty sad.
                      Good point. I think that is why eps like "Lifeline", "Kindred", and "The Last Man" stick in my head. They ended with a very sad note. The characters did not gain anything from the events or if they gained something, they sacrificed something big in the process.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
                        I have always felt that SGA had a darker feel to it. Not BSG dark but darker than SG-1. I think there were several eps that showed this darker drama. What makes a dark ep? Well there are a lot of different opinions. For me? Dark means...

1.)Characters go through a forever change never being the same. (Adrift, Lifeline, The Kindred, BAMSR, Ghost in the Machine)
                        2.)Moral and ethical decisions have to be made inorder to preserve life while sacrificing the other. (The Seer, BAMSR, Miller's Crossing)

3.) No hope, or hope is lost. (The Last Man, The Seige Part 2, First Strike)

4.) Characters commit suicide or kill themselves to save others or to preserve life. (Lifeline, Sunday, Ghost in the Machine)

Anyway, just some examples. I think "The Last Man" stands out the most. It reminds me of the most recent BSG episode, but not on that dark level of course.
                        Well...not to quibble...okay, I'm quibbling here, but SG1 was just as dark as SGA. But both series were no where near the darkicity of BSG (hey, I made that word up -- I think)...

1) Characters go through a forever change never being the same. Jacob Carter (The Tok'ra, Part 2), Sam (In the Line of Duty), Teal'c (Changeling), Daniel (Meridian), Jack (Abyss), Sam (Ascension), Jonas Quinn (Meridian), Daniel (Fallen), Daniel (The Quest, Part 2)...

2) Moral and ethical decisions have to be made in order to preserve life while sacrificing the other. Jack (The Other Side), Jack (Learning Curve), Jack (Scorched Earth), Jack (Unnatural Selection)...

3) No hope, or hope is lost. Jack (Abyss), Teal'c (Avatar), Teal'c (Bane), Jack (Tangent)...

4) Characters commit suicide or kill themselves to save others or to preserve life. Lt. Elliot (Last Stand), Grieves (The Sentinel), SG1 team (2010), Daniel (Meridian), Jack (Message in a Bottle), Col Cromwell (A Matter of Time), Teal'c (Deadman Switch), Jack and Teal'c (Small Victories), Jack (Divide and Conquer), Jack (The Lost City, Part 1), Vala (Beachhead)...

I still think the single darkest, most violent, most shocking moment on either of the two Stargate series was the burning of Vala at the end of Avalon, Part 2. And they edited that scene!

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
                        SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
                        Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Common Ground, Doppelganger, The Last Man, Remnants, Vegas, The Siege.
                          Please help my dragon eggs CLICK HERE My fanfics

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
                            I think Season 4 was the darkest part of the show. From Weir's transformation, to the replicator/Wraith war, to Teyla's abduction and Carson's short-lived return. The season ended on a dark note as well.
                            I agree, though I still think it should have been darker. I mean, much closer to 'BSG dark', because to be honest I was irritated that much of the grief process took place off-screen. I could have lived with Elizabeth and Carson gone and not coming back and maybe even supported it if they amped up the angst and carried it thoughout the season.

As for dark episodes, Poisoning the Well always stands out in my mind.

In other terms, they really turned down the lights in S4 and S5. I can't tell you how much of a pain in the ass this is when it comes to lightening caps.

Comment

Originally posted by morjana View Post
                              Well...not to quibble...okay, I'm quibbling here, but SG1 was just as dark as SGA. But both series were no where near the darkicity of BSG (hey, I made that word up -- I think)...

1) Characters go through a forever change never being the same. Jacob Carter (The Tok'ra, Part 2), Sam (In the Line of Duty), Teal'c (Changeling), Daniel (Meridian), Jack (Abyss), Sam (Ascension), Jonas Quinn (Meridian), Daniel (Fallen), Daniel (The Quest, Part 2)...

2) Moral and ethical decisions have to be made in order to preserve life while sacrificing the other. Jack (The Other Side), Jack (Learning Curve), Jack (Scorched Earth), Jack (Unnatural Selection)...

3) No hope, or hope is lost. Jack (Abyss), Teal'c (Avatar), Teal'c (Bane), Jack (Tangent)...

4) Characters commit suicide or kill themselves to save others or to preserve life. Lt. Elliot (Last Stand), Grieves (The Sentinel), SG1 team (2010), Daniel (Meridian), Jack (Message in a Bottle), Col Cromwell (A Matter of Time), Teal'c (Deadman Switch), Jack and Teal'c (Small Victories), Jack (Divide and Conquer), Jack (The Lost City, Part 1), Vala (Beachhead)...

I still think the single darkest, most violent, most shocking moment on either of the two Stargate series was the burning of Vala at the end of Avalon, Part 2. And they edited that scene!

Good points Morjana. I agree that SG-1 had dark moments. However I feel SGA took more steps to that dark direction.

Take Weir, Ford, and Carson. They are not the same and never will be. The core SG-1 team managed to survive to fight another day. Teal'c losing his symbiote only made him free, where Carter gained the knowledge of the Tok'ra. So not really dark moments, character development and changes heck yeah. Daniel did ascened and that made him a stronger character I would think. He gained the knowledge and wisdom of the ancients and used it to help the team. Daniel becoming a prior was dark, but he reverted back to his old self.

Weir is part replicator, all now really, Carson is a clone of his dead former self, and Ford is a Wraith enzyme druggie who is MIA or KIA.

Also,

I never ever seen in SG-1 a character pursuading another character to sacrifice themselves to save another. (Miller's Crossing). Just to name one really dark moment.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X