SG-1's home base

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SG-1's home base

The very recent revelation that while the Gateroom is being refurbished, the rest of the set is 'no more' makes me thing that SG-1 will be spending the next movie, and any that come after, somewhere else.

Where might that be? Atlantis in the Milky Way, as the new research base? The new base that is evacuated at the beginning of SGU? The General Hammond? Somewhere else entirely?

Ideas?

The SGC sets were pretty basic so it wouldn't take a whole lot to rebuild them. It's possible that the studio figured it would be cheaper to rebuild them than store them until they were needed. If the next movie takes place at the SGC they'll probably use the opportunity to show off the new sets. In any case, I don't think that refurbishing the sets can give us any clue to what's going to happen in the next movie. At least not yet.

Comment

It was mentioned on another thread that they were built as permanent sets, which I hadn't realized, so they didn't really have the option of taking them down and storing them. You may be right about them just rebuilding. And here I thought it might be a clue!
      It might mean that the Gateroom appears in SGU at some point, though, since they didn't tear that down with the reat. Of course, building a gate is a little more complex than building a hallway...

Comment

Or are they just altogether cancelling the 3rd movie at this point?

And no, I do not believe for one second that they'd tear down the ENTIRE SGC and then rebuild it in a few months or a year.

Vala,

Comment

Originally posted by Vala_M View Post

And no, I do not believe for one second that they'd tear down the ENTIRE SGC and then rebuild it in a few months or a year.

Vala,
          I really doubt that. Not from what is constantly being said about Jack.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

They are absolutely not going to cancel the third movie. Apart from all other considerations, it would make no ecconomic sense what so ever.

You are probably right about them not rebuilding the whole set, which is what led me to question where the next movies might take place. Something entirely new may be in the works.
            Last edited by amconway; 17 January 2009, 01:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by amconway View Post
              You are probably right about them not rebuilding the whole set, which is waht led me to question where the next movies might take place. Something entirely new may be in the works.

Which could be incredibly exciting!!.......onwards and upwards......

Deeds xx
              sigpic
              Thanks to slizzie1986 for signature
              MSOL - Official Website of Michael Shanks

Comment

Which could be incredibly exciting!!.......onwards and upwards......
                Yep. This is a pretty great time for SG-1. The major threats have been eliminated, and there's all kind of cool stuff to be investigated and explored. Not that it won't end up causing them trouble, of course!

Comment

Yep. This is a pretty great time for SG-1. The major threats have been eliminated, and there's all kind of cool stuff to be investigated and explored. Not that it won't end up causing them trouble, of course!

With that "trouble magnet" Jackson?.....that's a given isn't it?.....

Can't wait!...*rubs hands with glee*....

Deeds xx
                  sigpic
                  Thanks to slizzie1986 for signature
                  MSOL - Official Website of Michael Shanks

Comment

Something else to think about though is that these sets are REALLY old. Some of them have been around since season 1 of SG-1, perhaps even before that, depending on if they reused some of the stuff from the feature film. They probably cost a whole heck of a lot to maintain to union safety standards and, as was stated, were built as permanent sets that can't really be taken down and stored until needed.

It is probably more cost effective to demolish everything but the essentials they need for the immediate future, and rebuild from the ground up with modern materials and techniques when it becomes needed. I would even suspect that, at some point, they might even try to do 1 off rooms and labs and whatnot with CGI. We've seen how successful Sanctuary has been with that, and let's face it, the SGC's sets were pretty bland (look at the differences between Carter's lab and Daniel's... basically it is arrangement of small props such as books/computers/lights -- in fact it is PROBABLY the same set) and would be easy even for a moderate level modeler to do in detail.

I don't see this as a major setback or a major plot development. This is probably just a case where the "real world politics" of it is that it will cost more money to keep the sets up and running instead of building new ones if/when they are needed; not to mention the fact that we now have another sound stage for more elaborate SG1/SGA movies and SGU sets.

Comment

Something else to think about though is that these sets are REALLY old. Some of them have been around since season 1 of SG-1, perhaps even before that, depending on if they reused some of the stuff from the feature film. They probably cost a whole heck of a lot to maintain to union safety standards and, as was stated, were built as permanent sets that can't really be taken down and stored until needed.

It is probably more cost effective to demolish everything but the essentials they need for the immediate future, and rebuild from the ground up with modern materials and techniques when it becomes needed. I would even suspect that, at some point, they might even try to do 1 off rooms and labs and whatnot with CGI. We've seen how successful Sanctuary has been with that, and let's face it, the SGC's sets were pretty bland (look at the differences between Carter's lab and Daniel's... basically it is arrangement of small props such as books/computers/lights -- in fact it is PROBABLY the same set) and would be easy even for a moderate level modeler to do in detail.

I don't see this as a major setback or a major plot development. This is probably just a case where the "real world politics" of it is that it will cost more money to keep the sets up and running instead of building new ones if/when they are needed; not to mention the fact that we now have another sound stage for more elaborate SG1/SGA movies and SGU sets.
                      All very good points. You might very well be right about that, although for Stargate, i would prefer more of a mixture of CGI and real props than Sanctuary has, particularly for Daniel's office.

This might explain why the Gateroom was the only part that was kept. They know how fond most of us are of the one 'real' gate, what with the spinning and all.
                      Last edited by amconway; 17 January 2009, 04:26 PM.

Comment

Er, - I should point out at this point that the Gateroom IS a good portion of the SGC rooms we have seen! It has been redressed to be science labs, the canteen, gym, Carters lab and the workshop.

Trek used to do this too - TNG's Holodeck? - Was also the gym, shuttlebay, cargo bay, ad engineering could be reconfigured as a corridor cross junction. - Voyager repeated this in the same way.

Set reconfiguring is extremely common to save space and money. - I can only assume they have done away with the control room because they need the space for Universe. The preproduction drawingfs imply that Universe willbe upscale, as Atlantis was.

Set construction. Although the sets of SG1 have been standing for over ten years, TNG's sets had already been standing for almost that length of time when the series started. They had originally been created for Star Trek The Motion Picture 8 years earlier. Health and Safety is an ongoing everyday concern. To strike the sets just to rebuild them would not be cost effective, unless they are going for a more detailed movie look. Even then, existing sets are usually augmented, not stuck completely.

Of course the other factor is the Gateroom is the one key set piece, for SG1 using the gate. Everything else is on an "as and when we need it" basis. Movies will probably be set offworld for the most part, so unlike the series, we will get little screen time in places like the infirmary, Dr J's lab etc, and none in guest quarters, armoury or the canteen.

Re The General Hammond, it would simply be a reuse of the existing Prometheus / Daedelus ship sets.

I wouldn't be surprised if Atlantis's set pieces are also reduced in scale. We only know for certain there will be one Atlantis movie at this point. (Unless I have missed something?

All of this makes me a tad uneasy for the future SG1 movies. As a Trek fan too, I was very disapointed with the layout, decor and cinematography of the TNG movies. All dark and gloomy except Insurection, and little time was spent on the Enterprise in that film. I have always loved the style and design layout of the SGC as it is, and it would be a crying shame to me for SG1 to loose that.
                        Converting a human body into energy and sending it millions of light years through a wormhole. Bloody insanity!
                        Come on, how often do you get the chance to go to an alien planet?

I was a'ready on an alien planet!

- Poisoning the Well, Atlantis Season 1.

Comment

All very good points. You might very well be right about that, although for Stargate, i would prefer more of a mixture of CGI and real props than Sanctuary has, particularly for Daniel's office.

This might explain why the Gateroom was the only part that was kept. They know how fond most of us are of the one 'real' gate, what with the spinning and all.
                          I absolutely hate that CG set stuff. I really hope that does not become the next industry standard in the future.

Vala,

Comment

Originally posted by Vala_M View Post
                            I absolutely hate that CG set stuff. I really hope that does not become the next industry standard in the future.

Vala,
                            Honestly, I think it will become more and more common. Whether we like it or not. Some looks better than others, I'll just say that.
                            sigpic
                            MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                            "...phu...ah..."
                            "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                            Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
                              Honestly, I think it will become more and more common. Whether we like it or not. Some looks better than others, I'll just say that.
                              So are they going to trash Atlantis and then decide on more Atlantis movies? Unlike SG-1, Atlantis is actually centered around ATLANTIS.

Vala,

Comment

Working...
                              X