Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh dear, looks like the "wormhole drive" is coming back

Mallozi blog

A wormhole drive is just that – a drive that sends the ship through a wormhole, like a person stepping through an active gate. The advantage being that you don’t “travel” through hyperspace for hours on end. You get de-molecularized, or whatever you want to call it, and then spit out at the other end a few seconds later. It’s basically instantaneous, which is why I needed it as a device in this episode. Some people have complained that it was a bit of a deus ex-machina, to which I don’t really have much of a defense. At one point, Brad was thinking about using this as a set-up for a similar drive in Stargate Universe, but he’s since changed his mind. But since it IS set up now, Joe and I do intend to use it as part of the story for the Atlantis movie.
    So he doesn’t have a defense for the deus ex machina argument for the horrendously pathetic “wormhole drive”… and yet still calls himself a writer?

When a writer on a tv show needs a miraculous device that lets you instantly be anywhere you want to be in the universe… you know he’s got problems.

Absolutely pathetic, ruined an otherwise decent finale. Shame about the pointless Vegas that took an hour out of what could have been an excellent two part finale.

<Mod snip >and come up with a scenario where an out of the blue “wormhole drive” might not be necessary.
    Last edited by Bagpuss; 15 January 2009, 08:24 PM.

seriously if you feel like that about the writers then why watch the show?.why dont you go and turn a toaster into a stargate and.........bye

Comment

You know what. While I consider it a head scratcher when a writer uses a deus ex machina from time to time. I consider it good writing. Why? If the deus ex machina is good if not great (meaning technically speaking or originallity), then I am all for it. Yes it was kinda a gimme that the creators of the Stargate would create a wormhole drive.

My only question which I have been wondering about. Keeping within the Stargate franchise (I can't use the term universe anymore because of the new show, grumble), how can someone move a ship the size of a city with out 2 devices? Unless it is a actual wormhole that just enables someone to go from point a-b without the use of a Stargate..... Makes my technically geared mind spin.
      Spins and turns, angles and curves, the shape of dreams half remembered. Slip the surly bonds of Earth and touch the face of perfection. A perfect face, a perfect lace, find a perfect world for the end of Kara Thrace.
      End of line.

Comment

Originally posted by stevearm07 View Post
        Mallozi blog

So he doesn’t have a defense for the deus ex machina argument for the horrendously pathetic “wormhole drive”… and yet still calls himself a writer?

When a writer on a tv show needs a miraculous device that lets you instantly be anywhere you want to be in the universe… you know he’s got problems.

Absolutely pathetic, ruined an otherwise decent finale. Shame about the pointless Vegas that took an hour out of what could have been an excellent two part finale.

<Mod snip> come up with a scenario where an out of the blue “wormhole drive” might not be necessary.
        Heh, this is a pretty good post. Yeah, it is ridiculous that SG writers always use BS tech stuff to pull out of the corners they write themselves into, or to connect the disjointed dots in a plot that wasn't very well-conceived. But! The truth is, none of that crap really matters if it facilitates something really effective and (otherwise) well-executed. Unfortunately, that is never the case here.
        Last edited by Bagpuss; 15 January 2009, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Mallozi blog

apparently so

Absolutely pathetic, ruined an otherwise decent finale.
          LOL pretty much like your post

Shame about the pointless Vegas that took an hour out of what could have been an excellent two part finale.
          pointless? you should rewatch Vegas and EatG

<Modsnip> come up with a scenario where an out of the blue “wormhole drive” might not be necessary.
          thing is, Joe didn't write EatG
          Last edited by Bagpuss; 15 January 2009, 08:26 PM.
          sigpic
          The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

Has Stargate eaten its own words?
            sigpic
            ____I reserve the right to be completely wrong about any topic I post on.

Comment

Many times over. LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumper_One View Post
                apparently so

LOL pretty much like your post

pointless? you should rewatch Vegas and EatG

Agreed about the post. Give me a break. People are not going to ruin this movie for me.
                sigpic

Comment

Mallozi blog

<Mod snip> come up with a scenario where an out of the blue “wormhole drive” might not be necessary.

1. Vegas wasn't pointless.... it had a lot to do with EATG.

2. I half agree with you. I wouldn't go as far as you went (especially after the other good eps. he's written) but I do agree that the Wormhole Drive isn't the best way to go. If EatG was the last Atlantis (as in no movie) it would work but if their continuing? No. It'll make it too easy, too convieniant.

EDIT:
                  Originally posted by Jumper_One View Post
                  mmmm... That changes things a little but still... I stand firm on what I said about the Drive itself.
                  Last edited by Bagpuss; 15 January 2009, 08:27 PM.
                  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm the rest of his life.
                  ---
                  sigpic

Comment

I think vegas was pointless as it's own entire episode. Couldn't the finale have been a two part ending where the atlantis expedition discovers that the location of Earth was sent out into space. I mean to be honest, the superhive was coincidentally located and pimped enough to notice the transmission, so in all honesty, none of it should have happened.
                    Check out my music on Youtube and iCompositions.com

http://www.youtube.com/user/phildebrand2http://www.icompositions.com/artists/olympus/
                    sigpic

Enjoy!

Comment

I agree, the wormhole drive was random and pathetic... however that hardly counts for an "oh dear". Would you rather it never be mentioned again? That would make it a million times worse. Now, it'll be fleshed out and possibly explained.... and maybe, just maybe, the writers will realize it's waaaay too convenient a plot device and reveal it's dangerous or something, so they can't use it anymore (except perhaps once more, to get Atlantis back to Pegasus if they so choose).

I'm fairly optimistic about this movie. SGA problems, in my opinion, were mainly about pacing, and cutting EXACTLY the wrong things for time. With a feature-length movie, this problem may be resolved.

Carson: Muh tuttles!

Comment

Mallozi blog

<Mod snip >and come up with a scenario where an out of the blue “wormhole drive” might not be necessary.
                        wormhole drive?

Comment

Originally posted by Ganthet Jr. View Post
                          and reveal it's dangerous or something, so they can't use it anymore (except perhaps once more, to get Atlantis back to Pegasus if they so choose).
                          This is a good point - If the Ancients gave up on it you know there must be a good reason. Earth has gotten themselves in trouble before with trying to reinvent the Ancient wheel, so to speak. The things they do seem to work at first and then later they blow up in their face (again, so to speak). The two examples that stick out in my mind are the Sodan cloak and the Arcturus project. The Ancients designed the cloaking devices to emit a certain kind of radiation that would repel those dimensional creatures, but it does harm to Humans so they remove it and end up with the creatures coming through and going on rampages. Meanwhile, Mckay thought he could get the Arcturus project to work where as the Ancients couldn't (like he thinks he can get the wormhole drive to work where as the Ancients abandoned it) and it seemed to be working fine at first (like the wormhole drive seemed to work fine based on them getting it to work the first time they tried) and then it all went down hill.

For all we know, the wormhole drive could be a setup for a story revolving around the problems they get themselves into because of it. In which case, I think it could be kind of interesting and I certainly didn't think this one use of it ruined the episode - They would've gotten to Earth just in time one way or another. If it wasn't the wormhole drive, the writers just would've had them drop out of hyperspace closer to Earth and then the hyperdrive would've became operational again just in time to make it. This way, though, it actually seems like they're planning something which could be exciting. But, even if it does end up always being around, I'm inclined to think it will be only something Atlantis can do and with us only seeing the city again in any movies and Atlantis needing to conserve power (it's a city that travel through space if it needs to, not a battleship, afterall) I don't think it will have that much of an effect on things.
                          Last edited by Xaeden; 16 January 2009, 01:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stevearm07
                            Good writing? <mod snip>

It was terrible "writing" at it's absolute worst.

It came completely out of the blue, and was so ludicrous even the most die hard fanboys can't even explain it.

Mullie himself couldn't even defend the fact that it was a deus ex machina.

Shocking decision, made all the worse by the fact that they're bringing it back!! Groannn....

I miss the good old days of Stargate. Back in season 1 to 6 of SG-1.
                            Well you know where the DVD player is then!! One persons terrible idea is another persons favourite episode. Thats the beauty of art.
                            Last edited by Phenom; 16 January 2009, 02:29 AM.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Xaeden View Post
                              This is a good point - If the Ancients gave up on it you know there must be a good reason. Earth has gotten themselves in trouble before with trying to reinvent the Ancient wheel, so to speak. The things they do seem to work at first and then later they blow up in their face (again, so to speak). The two exanokes that stick out in my mind are the Sodan cloak and the Arcturus project. The Ancients designed the cloaking devices to emit a certain kind of radiation that would repel those dimensional creatures, but it does harm to Humans so they remove it and end up with the creatures coming through and going on rampages. Meanwhile, Mckay thought he could get the Arcturus project to work where as the Ancients couldn't (like he thinks he can get the wormhole drive to work where as the Ancients abandoned it) and it seemed to be working fine at first (like the wormhole drive seemed to work fine based on them getting it to work the first time they tried) and then it all went down hill.

For all we know, the wormhole drive could be a setup for a story revolving around the problems they get themselves into because of it. In which case, I think it could be kind of interesting and I certainly didn't think this one use of it ruined the episode - They would've gotten to Earth just in time one way or another. If it wasn't the wormhole drive, the writers just would've had them drop out of hyperspace closer to Earth and then the hyperdrive would've became operational again just in time to make it. This way, though, it actually seems like they're planning something which could be exciting. But, even if it does end up always being around, I'm inclined to think it will be only something Atlantis can do and with us only seeing the city again in any movies and Atlantis needing to conserve power (it's a city that travel through space if it needs to, not a battleship, afterall) I don't think it will have that much of an effect on things.
                              Totaly agree!
                              For all wee know the next use could be something like this:
                              MCKAY: Activating Wormhole Drive.
                              BANNNGGG
                              WOOLSEY: What was that?
                              SHEPPARD: MCKAY DID YOU JUST BLOW THE ASS OFF ATLANTIS?
                              MCKAY: Ummmm.... maby...

But even if we get it working properly, it could be used with out making it to much of a deus ex machina. Just throw in some rules like say, it uses alot of power, it needs maby 1 hour per 10 light years its traveled to cool down between jumps, stuff like that make it use able, but not over used.
                              The Doctor: [leafing through a teen magazine] That won't last. He's gay and she's an alien.

Carter: You saying that it could be boobytraped?
                              Teal'C: Booby?

May the Force Be With You

Comment

Working...
                              X