Drones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drones

I suck at explaining but. Remember the episodes where the drones were able to simply go through an attacking ship, come right out the other side and attack again without exploding? That's one of the reasons the drones were so effective. Tell me why in this episode and many others, drones have stopped doing that.

Originally posted by Pogo01 View Post
    I suck at explaining but. Remember the episodes where the drones were able to simply go through an attacking ship, come right out the other side and attack again without exploding? That's one of the reasons the drones were so effective. Tell me why in this episode and many others, drones have stopped doing that.
    They never did that; one drone blew a hole in an enemy ship, another drone dug in more, and more, and more... etc., and eventually they hammer a path through to the other side, and the remaining drones fly up and out, turn around, and do it again, slashing through critical systems and such in the process.
    Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
    Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

I must've been wrong then. But that was surely how it looked like.

Comment

No, you're right. Drones CAN tunnel through objects but they mainly only do that when they swarm all over something, not when it's a single drone usually.

Vala,

Comment

Originally posted by Vala_M View Post
          No, you're right. Drones CAN tunnel through objects but they mainly only do that when they swarm all over something, not when it's a single drone usually.

Vala,
          ...yeah, do you have proof of this? Why would swarms be able to do this and not one drone? That makes no sense whatsoever. All evidence points to the explanation I posted being the correct one.
          Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
          Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

We know that a single drone CAN tunnel without exploding.
            In Atlantis episode The Tower Rodney fires a drone from the underground catacombs through the ground to the outside to improve radio reception.

If that helps.
            What's the deal with the retardedly huge sigs?!
            Spelling correction by Gen Blue

Comment

Originally posted by Voxyn View Post
              We know that a single drone CAN tunnel without exploding.
              In Atlantis episode The Tower Rodney fires a drone from the underground catacombs through the ground to the outside to improve radio reception.

If that helps.
              Yeah but that was going through like a few inches of floor paneling at a time; real-life missiles can blow through small barriers like that without exploding if calibrated correctly. We're talking about ship army and things like that, which real-life rockets could not do, and from I've seen, neither can drones (hence why drones slam into darts and explode, not go through them to the next dart).

Comment

I get what you're saying.
                And I agree with your idea about the way drones destroy things.

But with real life missiles you have to have different missiles with different designs and made of different materials if you want them to do different things.
                A bunker buster missile probably wouldn't explode if it smashed through a fighter jet, but a AA missile would explode if it struck the ground.

We haven't seen evidence of different types of drone (other than the mini-drones which I am ignoring for this).

So basically I am saying that a drone can do both the tunnelling and the explode on contact depending on what you tell it to do.
                The drones COULD go through one dart and smash into another if we told it to.
                But we probably don't know how to do that, hence they always explode on contact.
                What's the deal with the retardedly huge sigs?!
                Spelling correction by Gen Blue

Comment

Yeah well i'm not picking a side because i really don't know either way. But if it is true that drones can do damage without exploding like i THOUGHT i have seen before, then there's some explaining to do.

Comment

In "Rising" a drone tunneled through hundreds (possibly) of feet of ice to pop and blow up the chopper Shep was flying with Jack.

and that was beckett firing that one too.
                    Last edited by mlarke; 16 January 2009, 02:02 AM. Reason: had an extra thought

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                      ...yeah, do you have proof of this? Why would swarms be able to do this and not one drone? That makes no sense whatsoever. All evidence points to the explanation I posted being the correct one.
                      Just watch one of the episodes where thousands of drones swarm a ship and see for yourself. Even in "Travelers" when Sheppard fires at the Wraith cruiser this happens.

And I didn't mean that single drones don't tunnel through objects, I said they mainly only do that when there are hundreds or thousands of them.

Vala,

Comment

Originally posted by mlarke View Post
                        In "Rising" a drone tunneled through hundreds (possibly) of feet of ice to pop and blow up the chopper Shep was flying with Jack.

and that was beckett firing that one too.
                        Uh no, there was already a tunnel open. The drone just flew out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr.Mckay View Post
                          Uh no, there was already a tunnel open. The drone just flew out of it.
                          You're kidding right? If you watch the episode again, you will see the drone fly through the air after the helicopter, after some fancy flying sheppard lands the helicopter. The drone burrows into the ice, sheppard and oneill jump out of the helicopter, the drone pops up out of the ice that it just tunneled through, and drops down at their feet.

Watch it again.

Comment

http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Drone_weapon
                            "Each drone automatically acquires hostile targets through a sensor located at the tip of their outer shell, which is remarkably similar to a squid or jellyfish in appearance, and are charged with enough energy to drill holes straight through a target multiple times before detonating"

eh?

Comment

Originally posted by Pogo01 View Post
                              http://stargate.wikia.com/wiki/Drone_weapon"Each drone automatically acquires hostile targets through a sensor located at the tip of their outer shell, which is remarkably similar to a squid or jellyfish in appearance, and are charged with enough energy to drill holes straight through a target multiple times before detonating"eh?
                              Wiki isn't the most reliable source.
                              Originally posted by aretood2
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                              X