This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mythology and Religion in SGU

So, I know this has already been discussed but do you think SGU will use any type of mythology or religion in it's storyline? Most of Earth's major mythologies have been put to use during the Goauld and Ori story arcs. I think it would be interesting to use Christianity in the story. Maybe have Christ show up in another world's religion or mythology and this causes people on the Destiny to question their own religion.

Originally posted by Ninjadoom View Post
    So, I know this has already been discussed but do you think SGU will use any type of mythology or religion in it's storyline? Most of Earth's major mythologies have been put to use during the Goauld and Ori story arcs. I think it would be interesting to use Christianity in the story. Maybe have Christ show up in another world's religion or mythology and this causes people on the Destiny to question their own religion.
    I think they will draw upon it, but much like Atlantis where mythology took the backdrop, I think this will be even more so since the only connection will be the Destiny, and not the people who knew of the ancients like in Atlantis.

But we shall see.

Comment

Originally posted by Ninjadoom View Post
      in SG-1 it was the gou'ld, then the Ori.

Atlantis was the ancients.

SGU could be anything. doubt they will do Christ, will be controversial, they have to make up something to not get sued

sigpic
      Sig made by squirrely1
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ
      *PM me if you clicked on that link*

Comment

Mythology is one thing (which SG1 has done in the past) but you have the potential to get a lot of angry viewers when you deal with religion
        Originally posted by aretood2
        Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
          Mythology is one thing (which SG1 has done in the past) but you have the potential to get a lot of angry viewers when you deal with religion
          exactly jelgate! NO REAL EARTH RELIGION!!!!!!!!!!!!

sigpic
          Sig made by squirrely1
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ
          *PM me if you clicked on that link*

Comment

Not sure how it'd be incorperated with-in the show, unless they reveal some history on the Ancients' influence on Earth-culture some more.

Or, some random Earth culture has somehow influenced a race a galaxy away, or vice-versa.

Comment

doubt it very much. I think this will be more of a show to get away from mythology and more of a discussion of current issues. Politics of alien races, language barriers hopefully, and all around isolated in a new galaxy ness.
              Check out my music on Youtube and iCompositions.com

http://www.youtube.com/user/phildebrand2http://www.icompositions.com/artists/olympus/
              sigpic

Enjoy!

Comment

But the thing is that some Christians wouldn't mind seeing something related to Abrahamic religions in stargate. It's not that hard to not be offensive, just use some brains and an a religious/political consultant of some sort.
                By Nolamom
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
                  But the thing is that some Christians wouldn't mind seeing something related to Abrahamic religions in stargate. It's not that hard to not be offensive, just use some brains and an a religious/political consultant of some sort.
                  But then again, there are those who would mind.
                  Religion is a very controversial topic and adding real world religions into Stargate would only serve to make some people VERY unhappy and cause a whole lot of problems (not to mention the possibility of a few lawsuits).
                  I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

They may not go with any mythology/religion. Destiny was launched millions of years ago and abandoned by the Ancients.

Comment

There is a reason they never touched that with a 1000 foot pole...

Comment

:/ Mythology was apart of a religion at one time, a very important part, however I know what you mean -- if they use Christianity, your assuming people will get angry. They did that, in my opinion, with the Ori story ark and the "Ark of Truth", or "Ark of the convianet"(sp?)...which I throughly enjoyed.

However, if the writer(s) are good, it wont matter what they do. The Matrix is the best example of this. They used Hinduism, a little of Shinto, a little of Buddhism and a little of Christianity; however you only caught the drift if you knew of the context. I didn't catch anything but the Christianity until I learned about the other religions, and then I caught on.

So, they could do a similar thing with Stargate. Will they? I somehow doubt, it's not really their style.

Comment

If they know what is good for themselves they'll leave religion indefinitely especially when it comes to the followers of abraham and ishmael, the universe is a big place, if their imaginations is stuck in the milky way galaxy, then maybe they shouldn't have canceled atlantis.

Comment

I'd rather see non-Earth based religions/mythologies. There is no reason to assume that aliens in another galaxy who have never been in contact with Earth will have religion/mythologies resembeling ours.
                            sigpic

Comment

Ori is as close as you going to get to Christianity in the show.

Whole and controversial just means free advertisement. I would love them to get very controversial in the issues they choose tackle, because these stories are often the most interesting in stories, and the debates people have about them are all interesting to. Especially when you compare people views from different countries.

Comment

Working...
                              X