This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Middle-Eastern Forces in Atlantis

I just noticed that in the stargate atlantis episode "The Prodigal", there was an egyptian flag patched on one of Major Lorne's men. here is a pic of it: http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q...s-egyptian.png ---- isnt that weird considering that Egypt is where the stargate was found and the fact that its islamic.
    sigpic

Originally posted by Duneknight View Post
    I just noticed that in the stargate atlantis episode "The Prodigal", there was an egyptian flag patched on one of Major Lorne's men. here is a pic of it: http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q...s-egyptian.png ---- isnt that weird considering that Egypt is where the stargate was found and the fact that its islamic.
    ...what does a country's predominate religion have to do with an individual soldier being amazingly-good so as to be recommended by the IOA for the Atlantis Expedition?
    Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
    Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

i didnt mean anything by it, i just thought it was odd and when taking current world politics into account; they are more likely to get Israeli soldiers for Atlantis instead of arabs.
      sigpic

Comment

it's not that odd. and why did you feel the need to point out egyptians are islamic?
        Vice Admiral and occasionally the Acting Leader of the Gateworld Cantina
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Duneknight View Post
          i didnt mean anything by it, i just thought it was odd and when taking current world politics into account; they are more likely to get Israeli soldiers for Atlantis instead of arabs.
          You're aware Egypt is considered an ally of the US, right?
          Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
          Yes, I am!
          sigpic
          Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
          Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
          Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

Originally posted by Pitry View Post
            You're aware Egypt is considered an ally of the US, right?
            Exactly. I was going to point it out, but heh.

EDIT: My entire post got deleted for some reason above. =\

Anyways, I said something in the lines of:

I don't find it at all weird. As long as the nation is peaceful and willing to cooperate with other nations, I welcome them to be in something like the Atlantis Expedition.
            Last edited by Orion Antreas; 15 January 2009, 12:48 PM.

There are no regrets. Thank you Brad Wright and everyone else for SGU,
            and the amazing Stargate franchise in general.

Comment

I think it's great that they got an Egyptian. Makes you wonder what other countries aren't visible.
              Check out my music on Youtube and iCompositions.com

http://www.youtube.com/user/phildebrand2http://www.icompositions.com/artists/olympus/
              sigpic

Enjoy!

Comment

I think what Duneknight was trying to point out was that egypt does not embrace the same things that some of the leading nations embrace. Like women are still bound by certain laws that prevent them from doing certain things, although egypt is pillar for womens right in the Arab world they still have a ways to go. Egypt also recognizes torture as a legal interergation techinque. Also Egypt recognizes palenstien as a state, which most of the world does not.

Just b/c we are allies not make them friends that would go to war with us or a good nation, we were allies with the Shaw of Iran, which he was a lot like Saddam Hussain.

While I think its good to see egypt in a cooperative state with the other nations I can see where Duneknights is coming from.

Comment

I never noticed it before. I wonder what other nations are present on Atlantis that haven't been shown.

Comment

they should have some Israeli soldiers...but on the other hand they're part of the IDF, which means they only defend not expand....

Comment

Enough about middle-eastern soldiers and scientists, I'm still upset I never saw any New Zealand participants. They could have sung songs and chased down Wraith 'whaling' ships...

... would have been fantastic!

Comment

The real world stuff doesn't matter in any way of looking at it. This is a world that had a President Hayes. Not everything is the same, so real world politics don't matter..

Comment

There is still a question of which countries actually know of the Stargate's existence. United States and Canada were the first to know, then the Russians found out about it. Up until season 6 of SG-1, no one else knew about the gate. It wasn't until "Disclosure" that the Chinese, British, and French found out about it and they agreed to keep it a secret. Have they ever stated that the people with those patches are official representatives from their country?

Comment

Originally posted by Giantevilhead View Post
                            There is still a question of which countries actually know of the Stargate's existence. United States and Canada were the first to know, then the Russians found out about it. Up until season 6 of SG-1, no one else knew about the gate. It wasn't until "Disclosure" that the Chinese, British, and French found out about it and they agreed to keep it a secret. Have they ever stated that the people with those patches are official representatives from their country?
                            The first country to know was the US, then Russia, Canada didn't find out until some time between Disclosure and Lost City.

Comment

Originally posted by ykickamoocow
                              <snipped - the quoted post was deleted as RL issues are OT for the thread>
                              Not all countries can afford socialized medicine; it's not a matter of neglect or desire to deprive their citizenry, it's a matter of pragmatism in times like these.
                              Last edited by Major Clanger; 16 January 2009, 08:38 AM. Reason: snipped the quoted-deleted post
                              Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                              Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Working...
                              X