PDA

View Full Version : technology question

mammon
November 28th, 2004, 09:56 AM
can anyone tell me what is that device called that creates items?
for example in that episode Lost City part 2 (probably spoiler warning) when O'Neil was in that Asqard stasis unit and was doing a weapon to defeat replicators and when it was finished Thor used some machine to make the weapon..
and for another example in Star Trek there is those computers that make any item they request like coffee or tea or something..
(by the way does it have a different name in Star Trek)

Crazedwraith
November 28th, 2004, 09:57 AM
They're called replicaters in Star Trek, But not in SG-1 for the obvious reasons.

mammon
November 28th, 2004, 09:59 AM
oh ok thanks.. what are they called in Stargate?

Ancients Rising
November 28th, 2004, 10:01 AM
Fabricators

mammon
November 28th, 2004, 10:04 AM
thanks.. i appreciate your help..

Ancients Rising
November 28th, 2004, 10:08 AM
Actually I think Thor said he’ll synthesise the weapon

So a better name would be synthesiser

dd78matt
November 28th, 2004, 10:33 AM
we could call them fabrithesisers

SP90
November 28th, 2004, 10:51 AM
Plot device generators...

Seriously though, Star Trek have given it different names over the years.
In the 22nd century they are called "protein resquencers" aboard the NX-01 and it looks like they can only make drinks. In the 23rd century they are called "food synthesizer" on James Kirk's Enterprise and they made entire meals based on whatever "meal card" you inserted. In the 24th century they are called "replicators" and we begin to see certain distinctions. Industrial replicators make the big stuff like windows glass, engine parts, sections of hull plates and some even rumor to produce entire shuttle crafts. Then there are the small ones installed in crew quarters that make food, drinks, and clothes. They could make weapons, explosvies and poisons too if the proper safety programs are bypassed or if the proper pattern is input. Since those robobugs in Stargate are already called the Replicators, the Asgard probably called their device a synthesizer.

Mr Prophet
November 28th, 2004, 10:57 AM
I've always been fond of 'fabber'.

UltraMarioMan
November 28th, 2004, 02:33 PM
You read this?
http://www.schlockmercenary.com/

Mr Prophet
November 29th, 2004, 07:12 AM
You read this?
http://www.schlockmercenary.com/

Yes. Yes I do.

Wass
November 29th, 2004, 07:40 AM
Plot device generators...

Seriously though, Star Trek have given it different names over the years.
In the 22nd century they are called "protein resquencers" aboard the NX-01 and it looks like they can only make drinks. In the 23rd century they are called "food synthesizer" on James Kirk's Enterprise and they made entire meals based on whatever "meal card" you inserted. In the 24th century they are called "replicators" and we begin to see certain distinctions. Industrial replicators make the big stuff like windows glass, engine parts, sections of hull plates and some even rumor to produce entire shuttle crafts. Then there are the small ones installed in crew quarters that make food, drinks, and clothes. They could make weapons, explosvies and poisons too if the proper safety programs are bypassed or if the proper pattern is input. Since those robobugs in Stargate are already called the Replicators, the Asgard probably called their device a synthesizer.

That’s because as the technology improved so did the name of the device. The best example I can think of at the moment which might not be very good is the Americans call hand held wireless phones “Cell phones” and in UK we call them “Mobile phones”

Wass
November 29th, 2004, 07:42 AM
can anyone tell me what is that device called that creates items?
for example in that episode Lost City part 2 (probably spoiler warning) when O'Neil was in that Asqard stasis unit and was doing a weapon to defeat replicators and when it was finished Thor used some machine to make the weapon..
and for another example in Star Trek there is those computers that make any item they request like coffee or tea or something..
(by the way does it have a different name in Star Trek)

I believe you got the name of the episode mixed up it’s called “New Order”. :p