Rewriting Enemy At The Gate (slightly)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rewriting Enemy At The Gate (slightly)

After talking with a friend about this I decided to make a thread about it to see what the Stargate community thinks. Basically what would you change about Enemy At The Gate? Personally I though the EATG was a good episode, I enjoyed it.. etc. But I think their are some changes that could have been made to make the episode better and more engaging and I want to see what the community can think of. Now before I start this, I wanna lay down some ground rules. There are only 2: 1. You can't change the major plot points e.g - Atlantis landing on Earth, The use of the the wormhole drive, the hive being easily able to overpower and disable a Daedulas class ship etc. and 2. try to explain your idea if you think it sounds weird so that we can understand where you coming from. now on with the thread!

All right heres some of mine that I have at the moment:

1. Have the Daedulas actually MOVE! during the battle with the Super Hive rather than just acting like a sitting duck and getting itself disabled and also fire more than ONE shot at the Hive before sitting back and just soaking up damage.

2. Have the chair UNDERGROUND rather than in a surface warehouse that can get easily attacked, so when the darts crash into it they say that access to the chair has been blocked by rubble or something so therefore they can't use it.

3. Actually SHOW the wormhole drive being used. In my mind it kinda looks like when a borg ship goes to transwarp in Star Trek except its white/blue and what happens is you dial the stargate to the location you want but instead of dialing and getting a lock, channel the energy into this drive and get sent there.

4. Instead of having Atlantis appear from underneath the Super Hive have it come out of wormholespace (look at above point)behind the Hive with the central spire facing the Hive and have it rotating as it heads towards the Hive, firing drones and railguns (see below point).

5. Set up the railguns from back in the Seige again on Atlantis's balconies (they probably are in storage somewhere) and have them firing at the hive as well when they attack it. it may not do a lot but it would look cool.

6. Instead of detonating the nuke from just in the hanger bay, take it out the missile and put it near the gate so when it detonates the naquadah it gate amplifies the blast OR have rodney overload the ZPM instead.

thats all I've got at the Moment, anyone else got something?
    Enjoying Stargate's Technobabble since 1997

If you like the Gateworld podcast be sure to listen the The 5th Race Podcast for a fan's view of the Stargate Franchise! and join the forums while you at it![/CENTER]

Originally posted by AtlantisAssassin View Post

6. Instead of detonating the nuke from just in the hanger bay, take it out the missile and put it near the gate so when it detonates the naquadah it gate amplifies the blast OR have rodney overload the ZPM instead.
    I think the blast of the naquadah enhanced nuke would be too powerful and will definitely cause major damage to Atlantis and effect the Earth. If I remember correctly from the original Stargate film, a naquadah enhanced nuke is capable enough of destroying Earth or something like amplifies the blast 12x.

Comment

EatG need more than a slight re-write. but still

1) No wormhole drive. Zelenka just needs to fix the damn hyperdrive.
      2)Some one should have been in that chair. The first couple of Darts that made it past the 302s are swatted by drones, until the darts overwhelming numbers come into play and they start making mass suicide runs to take the chair out.
      3) Atlantis lands in the middle of the ocean not in SF harbour, just to land a certain amount of credibility to the fact that no one notices it happening.
      4)Cut out the Ronon=jesus christ scenes.
      5) Either show the second 304/Hive fight, or don't imply the Hive crippled them and then let them go. I refuse to beleive the Wraith wouldn't spare an extra couple of seconds the blow them out of the sky entirely. Have the 304, pull out when they start taking heavy damage to now effect. The 304's retreat, the Hive doesn't pursue. Rather than the Hive just leaving them dead in space and not finish them off.
      sigpic
      Banner By JME2

Comment

First thing I'd have done different is have Daedalus pound the hive even if to no effect. It'd have made the final battle a bit more believeable and made Caldwell look like the strong commander we've come to know him as.
        Then I'd have the General Hammond at least put on a show, pull out at the last minute, or have Atlantis drop out of "wormhole space" between the Hive and the General Hammond saving it or something.
        When the time comes to utilize Earth's best weaponry against an ailen threat. The weapon that will ultimately prove to be Earth's best will be the Zatnikitel
        Zatnikitelman

Comment

Originally posted by Nanoflare View Post
          I think the blast of the naquadah enhanced nuke would be too powerful and will definitely cause major damage to Atlantis and effect the Earth. If I remember correctly from the original Stargate film, a naquadah enhanced nuke is capable enough of destroying Earth or something like amplifies the blast 12x.
          well the original stargate movie is kinda a huge plot hole for the series but my view of it is that the hives super armoured body would have encased the explosion for long enough so that the explosions would'nt have damaged Earth

If you like the Gateworld podcast be sure to listen the The 5th Race Podcast for a fan's view of the Stargate Franchise! and join the forums while you at it![/CENTER]

Comment

the only things i would change is the chair getting destroyed cause that isnt good now we are defenceless and maybe have them recall odyssey as caldwell said its on some secret mission wats more important a secret mission or the survival of the planet? tough choice .... NOT

Comment

Originally posted by wraithkiller916 View Post
              the only things i would change is the chair getting destroyed cause that isnt good now we are defenceless and maybe have them recall odyssey as caldwell said its on some secret mission wats more important a secret mission or the survival of the planet? tough choice .... NOT
              yeah, they should have given a better reason in my opinion

Comment

Originally posted by Crazedwraith View Post
                EatG need more than a slight re-write. but still

1) No wormhole drive. Zelenka just needs to fix the damn hyperdrive.
                2)Some one should have been in that chair. The first couple of Darts that made it past the 302s are swatted by drones, until the darts overwhelming numbers come into play and they start making mass suicide runs to take the chair out.
                3) Atlantis lands in the middle of the ocean not in SF harbour, just to land a certain amount of credibility to the fact that no one notices it happening.
                5) Either show the second 304/Hive fight, or don't imply the Hive crippled them and then let them go. I refuse to beleive the Wraith wouldn't spare an extra couple of seconds the blow them out of the sky entirely. Have the 304, pull out when they start taking heavy damage to now effect. The 304's retreat, the Hive doesn't pursue. Rather than the Hive just leaving them dead in space and not finish them off.
                Basically all of this plus I'd change the "super hive" itself into and old ancient war era Wraith battleship that Todd and his faction dug up on some long forgotten world on the edge of pegasus and have been trying to revive for a year or more in secret. The story would be that it was abandoned there because it was badly damaged in the final days of the war and useless for harvesting and thus was never repaired.

This would explain its sudden appearence a bit better and avoid the irritating "everything powerful is tied into the ancients somehow" cliche stargate's been running for years. It would also directly boost the credability of the Wraith as an adversary for the ancients back then and make the ancients look a lot less incompetent for losing to an adversary that had ships like that.

I'd also have toned down the performance of the super hive itself a bit. I'd have it be tremendously powerful like it was but also very tempermental, unpredictable and still partially damaged/neglected sort of how the orion was. Basically its crew, who doesn't really know how to run it that well, would be constantly fighting with it to get it to do what they wanted and its in these sorts of lapses that the good guys would be able to make some gains.

So in the 2 304 battle for example they're beating the crap out of both of them without much trouble but then the engineer tells the captain that their FTL drive has begun sputtering at dangerously low power levels and could shut down permanently if they don't power it back up and jump back into hyperspace immediately. They then have to leave the job unfinished and the 304s escape.

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post
                  So in the 2 304 battle for example they're beating the crap out of both of them without much trouble but then the engineer tells the captain that their FTL drive has begun sputtering at dangerously low power levels and could shut down permanently if they don't power it back up and jump back into hyperspace immediately. They then have to leave the job unfinished and the 304s escape.
                  I like that idea and the general idea that the ship is naqered adds a bit of suspense and explains why they left the 2 304's.
                  if it wasnt for Carters new plot shield we would be dead

Comment

Yeah, it adds suspense and it also lets you nerf the ship down enough to make human ships able to have a chance while still preserving the idea of the ancients as very powerful. This because of course the Wraith ship would have been new, crewed more competently, and a lot nastier in general when they had to deal with it and other Wraith warships like it in the war.

It would show how the combined forces of Earth can't even really match up to a battered down worn out version fixed and crewed by people who don't know what they're doing, of a ship the ancients used to have to face all over the place in multiples.

Given that so much of the series has been "McKay improves on the ancients with his laptop" it would have been nice to try to counteract some of that by showing that had Earth actually had to face the same version of the Wraith civilization that the ancients held out against for 100 years, it wouldn't even have lasted a weekend.

Comment

you all think the old ship idea is a great idea, but if they did that we'd all be nagging why they didnt use it against the replicators or atlantis.
                      It is a good idea though

most things that were bad about EatG(liked the episode though) were because things popped out of nowhere, the superhive and the wormhole drive for an example

my suggestion for some of the problems this season and these
                      superhive, lack of an arc and the lack of teyla/ronon screentime: have some of the lame convo's replaced by scenes of teyla and ronon searching around the galaxy searching for the reason so many wraith rescources are being differted.

the Amelia part was weird, but as someone who doesnt live for his ships i am not as mad as some of you seem to be( i watch stargate for the sci-fi, not for the chars, which got lame after season 7 of sg-1), though i did miss some minor chars, which are still decent, on the bridge scene. What i would have liked was the entire atlantis crew+todd looking from several balconies

the wormhole drive and the lack of ancient power
                      what if, Atlantis wasnt at full accesebility for atlantis, with Janus having sealed a lot of functions when i met alternate Weir, because he didnt fully trust the atlantis crew to not abuse it. After Mckay entered Janus's lab though, stuff slowly started working again(Series is gonna end anyways, why not make atlantis OP?) like drone production and anti-grav for the entire city(could explain why sf wasnt completely washed over by the atlantis landing wave) and episode by episode the things start working again

also, michael should have captured the superhive or something

just my idea

Comment

How about right after earth detected and translated the intercepted message about the chair being at Area 51 they moved it. Its retarded not to.

Best Stargate quote:
                        Sheppard: (yells to McKay) Canadian football is a joke! Celine Dion is overrated! Zelenka is smarter than you are!
                        Green is your friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazedwraith View Post
                          Me second this

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post
                            Given that so much of the series has been "McKay improves on the ancients with his laptop" it would have been nice to try to counteract some of that by showing that had Earth actually had to face the same version of the Wraith civilization that the ancients held out against for 100 years, it wouldn't even have lasted a weekend.
                            I like that idea. It's laughable how Earth humans can just wipe the floor with a race which defeated the Ancients. Having the Ancients flawed is one thing. Giving the impression that they were completely useless is another.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ciannwn View Post
                              I like that idea. It's laughable how Earth humans can just wipe the floor with a race which defeated the Ancients. Having the Ancients flawed is one thing. Giving the impression that they were completely useless is another.
                              Indeed. What a lot of people overlook in the whole comparison is that when you make the Wraith look stupid/weak/incompetent you make the ancients look even stupider, weaker and more incompetent because the ancients lost an entire galaxy to them.

Comment

Working...
                              X