Atlantis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Atlantis

Anyone else notice that SGC predicted Atlantis would land in the middle of the ocean but they end up near the golden gate bridge...

Huh.

It's not as if the flying city can, I dunno, fly or anything.

(It's probably easier for the US military to secure a spot off San Francisco than it is a random point in the middle of the Pacific.)
    Last edited by Jeffala; 14 January 2009, 08:30 AM.

Comment

"Predicted" is the operative word in your post.

Comment

I think the Atlantis icon on that screen was the current location of Atlantis, not the predicted landing point.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Gate-builder View Post
          I think the Atlantis icon on that screen was the current location of Atlantis, not the predicted landing point.
          The dotted line on the screen was the projected path and the icon symbol of the city was the projected splash down point. Which would have put it just north of the Hawaiian islands, which is handy because that's where the U.S. has their largest Naval base.
          sigpic

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/brettsuddreth

Comment

Originally posted by _Ancients_ View Post
            The dotted line on the screen was the projected path and the icon symbol of the city was the projected splash down point. Which would have put it just north of the Hawaiian islands, which is handy because that's where the U.S. has their largest Naval base.
            Good catch!

Comment

The transcript indicates it's just the current position. I think that screen was up while they were makING the call or whatever to predict splashdown.
              When the time comes to utilize Earth's best weaponry against an ailen threat. The weapon that will ultimately prove to be Earth's best will be the Zatnikitel
              Zatnikitelman

Comment

I was thinking about all the hubbub about this. If they did move it after landing I think it makes sense. The probably wouldn't want it in international waters. I know the IOA is multi-national but from the perspective of the SGC wouldn't you want it close to home? Would you even want the possibility of some other country claiming it? Wouldn't you want it where your military could restrict access to the area? I have no idea how far out you have to be before you hit international waters so I basically I am talking out my rear end here.

Comment

Originally posted by gate-builder View Post
                  i think the atlantis icon on that screen was the current location of atlantis, not the predicted landing point.
                  thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Gate-builder View Post
                    Right before the image popped up Major Davis said:

"We are tracking them again, we should be able to project coordinates for splash-down"

at which point everyone in the room turned to look at the screen to see where it was gunna land.
                    But at the exact moment Major Davis said 'coordinates for splash-down' was the exact moment Atlantis started flashing on the screen, sort of like a title to make sure no one got confused as to what it meant.
                    Last edited by bobsenior; 19 June 2009, 01:41 PM.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Trig View Post
                      Anyone else notice that SGC predicted Atlantis would land in the middle of the ocean but they end up near the golden gate bridge...
                      thats because that screen was the trackign screen NOT the predicted splash down. if it was then it would also show atlantis current position (which it does, its the atlantis shaped thing in the center)

Comment

Working...
                      X