Do Fully Powered Lantean Shields Fail?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do Fully Powered Lantean Shields Fail?

Okay, we know that Goa'uld, Ori & Asgard shields can fail even when properly powered given enough fire. My question is do Lantean shields fail under enough fire?

Now, we're talking 3 full ZPMs worth of power, would Lantean shields give out before the power ran out?

All indications early on were that they didn't, after all, a years long siege from multiple Hives wasn't able to put the Lanteans in danger.
    sigpic
    "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
    ~David Hewlett

Originally posted by Ripple in Space View Post
    Okay, we know that Goa'uld, Ori & Asgard shields can fail even when properly powered given enough fire. My question is do Lantean shields fail under enough fire?

Now, we're talking 3 full ZPMs worth of power, would Lantean shields give out before the power ran out?

All indications early on were that they didn't, after all, a years long siege from multiple Hives wasn't able to put the Lanteans in danger.
    yes they can fail, why do you think they left pegasus?

Comment

Eventually the ZPM's would have been depleted. The one element we don't know about is how many ZPM's they had to rotate through during the siege.
      sigpic

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/brettsuddreth

Comment

Lantean shields don't have a buffer system; as long as there's power, they should theoretically never run out. In this case, though, the generators themselves were being overloaded, as the shield was never designed to take so much raw energy being poured into it at once. So it wasn't a case of the shield itself failing, it was the generators not able to cope with the amount of power they had to absorb.
        Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
        Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

I dont think that was his question it was can the sheids fail before the ZPM is depleted

and yes it can we see it in first contact radek mentions frying the emiters but the ZPM wasnt depleted yet in riseing it squeased every lat joule out

I think the sheild can be 100% efeichent given time and last aslong as the power source but it can also be overloaded.

My theory is a ZPM can only releasy X amout of energy per second so as long as the load on the sheild is less than X it will last until the ZPM runs out but if the load excede X the sheild dies

this would explain why ships still have power when they loose sheilds re directing power increases X at the cost of other systems

So sheilds should not be rated in jouls but in watts

This also gives an explination for the asuran satalite wepon it introduces energy faster than it disapates causing a build up until it overloads the sheild

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWmw1u2to5M

Currently recruiting new staff

Comment

the ancients dident leave because there shield was going to fail, the city was already underwater but the ancients came to realize that they would never be able to defeat the wraith. they fought the wraith for over a hundred years and despite there advanced tech there ego was to large, thinking there ZPM powered war-ships where unbeatable they sent them deeper and deeper into wraith territory but the wraith managed to get there hands on the ZPMs from the ships and used them to power there cloning facility this in turn lead to the defeat of the ancients, with so many soldiers at there disposal they where able to make probably all the hive ships that are in Pegasus today.

anyway, the Atlantis shield doesn't "fail" really but merely drains the ZPMs the more they are damaged, think of ZPMs like tanks of water, the more the shield is hit the more water is drained each second.

Comment

Except there is a limit to how much water can drain per second if that limit is exceded the sheild fails despite there being water in the tank

if there was no limit the ZPM would have been depleted in first contact.

Comment

Originally posted by eps200 View Post
                I dont think that was his question it was can the sheids fail before the ZPM is depleted

and yes it can we see it in first contact radek mentions frying the emiters but the ZPM wasnt depleted yet in riseing it squeased every lat joule out

I think the sheild can be 100% efeichent given time and last aslong as the power source but it can also be overloaded.

My theory is a ZPM can only releasy X amout of energy per second so as long as the load on the sheild is less than X it will last until the ZPM runs out but if the load excede X the sheild dies

this would explain why ships still have power when they loose sheilds re directing power increases X at the cost of other systems

So sheilds should not be rated in jouls but in watts

This also gives an explination for the asuran satalite wepon it introduces energy faster than it disapates causing a build up until it overloads the sheild
                ...yes, and what did my post say? "...as long as there's power, they should theoretically never run out." I answered the question...
                Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

I don't know about the shield but Atlantis has once released around sixty percent of a zero point moudule in one go.

The Antarctic outpost also released a significant amount of a zero point module in one go.

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                    ...yes, and what did my post say? "...as long as there's power, they should theoretically never run out." I answered the question...
                    I don't think that he was referring to you (I could be wrong), but if you read the two posts above yours, they don't address the thread topic at all.

Asw far as the frying the emitters deal, the only time we've seen the shield bust with a ZPM in the tank was when they tried to contain the gate's explostion in the gate room. I don't think that's really a fair example though because, one, containing explosions within the city clearly wasn't the intended purpose for the shield (kind of like saying, "my car sucks because it stalls out whenever I try to drive it through the Atlantic Ocean" ). Two, the shield was running off of a single ZPM anyway (it's designed to run on 3).
                    sigpic
                    "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
                    ~David Hewlett

Comment

no they dont, the Generators fail from the stresses.

Comment

I don't think that he was referring to you (I could be wrong), but if you read the two posts above yours, they don't address the thread topic at all.

Asw far as the frying the emitters deal, the only time we've seen the shield bust with a ZPM in the tank was when they tried to contain the gate's explostion in the gate room. I don't think that's really a fair example though because, one, containing explosions within the city clearly wasn't the intended purpose for the shield (kind of like saying, "my car sucks because it stalls out whenever I try to drive it through the Atlantic Ocean" ). Two, the shield was running off of a single ZPM anyway (it's designed to run on 3).
                        Where the shield was doesn't effect how efficient it is... and the shield is designed to run off one ZPM if need be (only the stardrive is designed to run off three).

Comment

Yes they can fail, there's at least two episodes that directly show this. The finale and "first contact" where the gate explodes. The city shields failed in both episdoes without the ZPM being depleted.

Comment

thanks and you were right i was refering to the irelavent posts

the ZPM is definatly not the limiting factor in some episodes though because they are not fully depleted maybe the botlenech is how much energy can be transfered into the sheild per second

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                              Where the shield was doesn't effect how efficient it is... and the shield is designed to run off one ZPM if need be (only the stardrive is designed to run off three).
                              Unless I'm forgetting something here, I'm pretty sure it's never been said that the shield was designed to be run off of one ZPM. In fact, all we really know is that the city is designed to be powered by 3 ZPMs, but logically you'd figure the shield would also be designed to run off of 3 ZPMs. Especially since the shield is Atlantis' primary means of defense, without which being quite fragile. Why limit the the only thing standing between you and a Wraith fleet to one ZPM when you have three to work with?

Comment

Working...
                              X