Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why do the Tau'ri (Humans) make Ancient inventions work better than them?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why do the Tau'ri (Humans) make Ancient inventions work better than them?

I was just wondering how it seems that the people of Earth *& occassionally others) continually seem to improve on, & generally mae thing work, when the Ancients themselves abandoned the technology/proceedure/invention (mainly & Zelenka - also shows the ingeiunity & resourcefulness of Humans if you ask me )?

Some examples include:

Spoiler:

* Shields for Puddle Jumpers
    * Hyperdrive for Puddle Jumpers
    * Ancient Gene Theraphy (developed by )
    * Stun field (interfacing of stun technology & Puddle Jumper cloaking tech, developed by Michael)
    * Cloak for Atlantis itself (done by tying in a Puddle Jumper cloaking generator to Atlantis' main systems)
    * Wormhole drive (developed by the Ancients but abandoned due to massive power requirements - as in ZPM's - & incredibly complex calculations & possible instabilities/dangers; worked on by & got to work by Zelenka).
    * Enhancements, improvements & increased efficency of ZPM use on Atlantis.

Did the Ancients not think to develop these technologies, proceedures & achievements themselves for crying out loud (althou I do conceed that the Ancients may have had good reasons for abandoning such technologies for what they believed to be good reasons)?

Originally posted by akren View Post
    I was just wondering how it seems that the people of Earth *& occassionally others) continually seem to improve on, & generally mae thing work, when the Ancients themselves abandoned the technology/proceedure/invention (mainly & Zelenka - also shows the ingeiunity & resourcefulness of Humans if you ask me )?

Some examples include:

Spoiler:

* Stun field (interfacing of stun technology & Puddle Jumper cloaking tech, developed by Michael)
    * Cloak for Atlantis itself (done by tying in a Puddle Jumper cloaking generator to Atlantis' main systems)
    * Wormhole drive (developed by the Ancients but abandoned due to massive power requirements - as in ZPM's - & incredibly complex calculations & possible instabilities/dangers; worked on by & got to work by Zelenka).

Did the Ancients not think to develop these technologies, proceedures & achievements themselves for crying out loud (althou I do conceed that the Ancients may have had good reasons for abandoning such technologies for what they believed to be good reasons)?
    you know, i wake up every morning and ask my self this question, and yet i get no answer. it is very stupid that they dumbed down the Ancients who were suppose to be the most powerful race in the universe (that we know of) and then they are shown being these stupid people who never follow through on anything, and are shown to be outdone by the simplest of ideas.

KEEP IT CLEAN
    Alternate BAMSR:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNCunG0llLk
    Halo Alpha Centauri trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb5po1zQE1k

Comment

The Ancients could have done things like rig up shields for the jumpers, or cloak the city, but we just don't have any proof that they did.

The hyperdrive for the jumper and the improvements to the power systems were done by McKay when he was near Ascention. When the Ancients reached this point they were concentrating on ascending, not improving things.

Some things, such as the gene therapy, they simply didn't need. In this case it occurred in all Ancients naturally.
      sigpic

Comment

*ahem* you mean "stun bubble"

Comment

Originally posted by Gate-builder View Post
          The Ancients could have done things like rig up shields for the jumpers, or cloak the city, but we just don't have any proof that they did.

The hyperdrive for the jumper and the improvements to the power systems were done by McKay when he was near Ascention. When the Ancients reached this point they were concentrating on ascending, not improving things.

Some things, such as the gene therapy, they simply didn't need. In this case it occurred in all Ancients naturally.
          I've gotta agree with that.
          The Tauri have a different way of thinking and in some cases need different things from the Ancient technologies they've used.

There is however one thing that's been forgotten here.
          What about the replicator disruptor?
          If the Ancients wanted to completely destroy the Asurans (which was pretty much shown in Progeny) they could have even tampered with their coding and caused them to fall apart, the Asurans couldn't have stopped them at this point and it would have been a better use of the Ancients resources, but I guess that would have meant no Pegasus Replicators story ark.

Comment

It's because the Ancients were revealed to be bumbling idiots. They must have invented all this stuff in the first place by pure luck! Doesn't that make perfect sense?

Although being ancients, they, probably wouldn't have needed the "gene therapy" the Atlantis expedition did.
            "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

You'd be surprised how many percieved deadends in the development of technology can can be solved by a fresh set of eyes and persepective... added to the fact that we have access to modern Asgard technology which is likely more advanced than Atlantis.
              A word of advice... there are creatures that live between this dimension and the next, fiendish creatures that feast on the suffering of an entire world to satiate their eternal hunger. Support the Gateworld Cantina or suffer the fate of all who fall into the clutches of the 'Eladrith Ynneas'

Comment

Originally posted by The_Carpenter View Post
                You'd be surprised how many percieved deadends in the development of technology can can be solved by a fresh set of eyes and persepective... added to the fact that we have access to modern Asgard technology which is likely more advanced than Atlantis.
                I agree with the fresh pair of eyes thing, but not with the Asgard tech being more Advanced than what's in Atlantis, this was developed over several million years, so I think perhaps the Asgard were more advanced in some areas (which is not that apparent as to what may be and what isn't) and the Ancients others.
                The Ancients likely massed more technological achievements in their time and reached a final goal that the Asgard were unable to in ascension.
                That's not to say what the Asgard achieved wasn't impressive, but IMO it pails in comparison to what the Ancients could do and the Asgard barely even scratched the surface of the Ancient knowledge base they had, so likely knew much less about the universe from a physics point of view than the Ancients did.
                The Ancients knowledge had probably helped the Asgard a lot too so it's not like they gained all that tech on their own.

Comment

It's very simple. SGA portrayed Anciets as a bunch idiots. I take MW Anciets as a complete separate race from those morons that lived in the PG
                  Stolen Kosovo
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rise Of The Phoenix View Post
                    I agree with the fresh pair of eyes thing, but not with the Asgard tech being more Advanced than what's in Atlantis, this was developed over several million years, so I think perhaps the Asgard were more advanced in some areas (which is not that apparent as to what may be and what isn't) and the Ancients others.
                    The Ancients likely massed more technological achievements in their time and reached a final goal that the Asgard were unable to in ascension.
                    That's not to say what the Asgard achieved wasn't impressive, but IMO it pails in comparison to what the Ancients could do and the Asgard barely even scratched the surface of the Ancient knowledge base they had, so likely knew much less about the universe from a physics point of view than the Ancients did.
                    The Ancients knowledge had probably helped the Asgard a lot too so it's not like they gained all that tech on their own.
                    The Asgard had millions of years to build on the technology of the Ancients even if they are not as intelligent as the Ancients they still would of made progress on Ancient technology over that time period.

As for the Asgard not being able to reach ascension wasn't it stated that their problem of genetic degregation meant that such a path was now closed to them.
                    A word of advice... there are creatures that live between this dimension and the next, fiendish creatures that feast on the suffering of an entire world to satiate their eternal hunger. Support the Gateworld Cantina or suffer the fate of all who fall into the clutches of the 'Eladrith Ynneas'

Comment

Originally posted by Rise Of The Phoenix View Post
                      If the Ancients wanted to completely destroy the Asurans (which was pretty much shown in Progeny) they could have even tampered with their coding and caused them to fall apart, the Asurans couldn't have stopped them at this point and it would have been a better use of the Ancients resources, but I guess that would have meant no Pegasus Replicators story ark.
                      The same thing applies when it came to their inventing useless weapons which could never be used against the Wraith because of unforeseen bad side effects. The Lanteans had to lose the war and leave Atlantis at the bottom of the sea so that the SGA characters could find it and have Wraith to fight.
                      sigpic

Comment

Some examples include:

Spoiler:

You'd be surprised how many advances in technology are developed by the next generation that the other generation couldn't figure out. Also the Ancients were in the middle of a war and developing advances in their tech wasn't a high priority. Oh and one small nitpick. The Ancients wouldn't need the gene therapy.
                        Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                        "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                        Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

They've always had shields.

Ancients never needed these things.

Puddle Jumpers were built specifically for gate travel so there's not point in giving them hyerpdrives.

Why would they need gene therapy? They're Ancients, the gene therapy is based on their DNA.

We don't know if the Ancients have ever been in a situation where they needed their puddle jumper to generate a stun bubble.

Cloaking Atlantis would have been pointless since the Wraith already knew where Atlantis was. They couldn't fly Atlantis back to the Milky Way because they were under constant siege. If they tried to cloak, the Wraith would have blasted them to pieces.

It was incredibly dangerous and required massive amounts of power. We know for a fact that the Ancients are a bunch of sissies who will abandon research on technologies deemed too dangerous like with time travel, Project Arcturus, and the Aterro device.

Developed when McKay was near ascension so I don't see how that counts.

Comment

Originally posted by Giantevilhead View Post
                            They've always had shields.
                            No they didn't because of the huge power requiements of the Jumper's battery to maintain a shield
                            Originally posted by aretood2
                            Jelgate is right

Comment

because we have mackey

but seriuos most of the tech mostley never works most of the time the fail in the end

Comment

Working...
                              X