Babylon 5 General Chit Chat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Babylon 5 General Chit Chat

It was so sad seeing the station empty in the last episode. I liked how Garabaldi picks up that dusty shot glass from the vacant bar as a souvenir before they all leave. Just made it feel even more sad.

I must admit a lot of the sets didn't give a good indication of size. Like that bar and the Zoccolo whch seemed to run down a sort of middle section of the station. The only time you get an idea of size is when you see the circular gardens laid out on the outside of the long barrel shape of the centre part where the train thing goes...

I didn't buy the whole "it will become a navigation hazard" thing. Like how big is that thing? Are people just going to run into that without looking?

Sad seeing the station blow up like that but the effects were awesome. And one switch in the corridor turns everything off hehe.....
    Go home aliens, go home!!!!

Yeah, the "navigation hazard" thing didn't make sense, as the station was presumably in a stable orbit around Epsilon 3. According to the 1st season intro, B5 was 5 miles long. Or 8 kilometers, I find it absurd that America/Earth wouldn't be fully metric by the 23rd century! In that sense Star Trek is a lot more realistic...
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by maneth View Post
      Yeah, the "navigation hazard" thing didn't make sense, as the station was presumably in a stable orbit around Epsilon 3. According to the 1st season intro, B5 was 5 miles long. Or 8 kilometers, I find it absurd that America/Earth wouldn't be fully metric by the 23rd century! In that sense Star Trek is a lot more realistic...
      That is odd though, but it does seem to be a bit of an intercahnge, in our military and in the show and other places in our society. For exapmple, in Severed Dreams Ivanova's Starfurry was counting down in kilometers.

Comment

Originally posted by Col.Foley View Post
        That is odd though, but it does seem to be a bit of an intercahnge, in our military and in the show and other places in our society. For exapmple, in Severed Dreams Ivanova's Starfurry was counting down in kilometers.

Actually it switches a few times in the show but I am not too fussy about that. It would have been nice to have done a scene inside the station where we actually do get more of a real sense of size instead of those main sets they had used. Surely all that space wasn't THAT big.... And I wonder how they cleaned out all the filth and scum from Down Below before the place became deserted? Would have been nice to see how it became a ghost town.

Comment

Originally posted by Coco Pops View Post
          And I wonder how they cleaned out all the filth and scum from Down Below before the place became deserted? Would have been nice to see how it became a ghost town.
          I doubt that the forced removal of any remaining non-sentient waste would be a priority on a space station about to be destroyed.
          Warning: This post may not be meant to be taken seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Schrodinger's Cat View Post
            I doubt that the forced removal of any remaining non-sentient waste would be a priority on a space station about to be destroyed.

No I meant all the criminals that they seem to attract and all the poor people

Comment

Actually it switches a few times in the show but I am not too fussy about that. It would have been nice to have done a scene inside the station where we actually do get more of a real sense of size instead of those main sets they had used. Surely all that space wasn't THAT big.... And I wonder how they cleaned out all the filth and scum from Down Below before the place became deserted? Would have been nice to see how it became a ghost town.
              They probably blew it all up

Another possibillity is what ever civilizn agency, if they had one, used miles to build the station and set up the equipment, while the military uses Kilometers.

Comment

Probably, I mean isn't that the case now with the US military? Clicks=kilometers. However, refusing to go completely metric in the next 250 years would only make them seem behind the times.
                sigpic

Comment

And since this is the chit chat thread "Eyes" was actually quite a good episode. A bit thin on plot and story but it was a good episode. Loved the upbeat ending with Garabaldi on the motorbike

Comment

Originally posted by maneth View Post
                    Probably, I mean isn't that the case now with the US military? Clicks=kilometers. However, refusing to go completely metric in the next 250 years would only make them seem behind the times.
                    Well my point is they interchange them an awful lot. But our military mostly uses metric system. And our science community for the most part...it is the pleabians....(no offense, please take none)...who generally only use, whatever we call our system.

Comment

I had thought that the usage of non-metric measuring systems of terran origin was solely for the benefit of the viewer, similar to how the native languages of alien species sound like the english language whenever the native speakers of that language were talking to each other.

Comment

For the benefit of the American viewer. But that's probably it.
                        sigpic

Comment

Why hasn't the USA gone metric

Comment

Why hasn't the USA gone metric
                            In the region of the USA I live in, distances are measured in units of time.

For example, I live somewhere between an hour and an hour and a half from midtown Manhattan, depending on highway traffic.

For some reason, this doesn't seem compatible with the metric units for length.

Comment

Originally posted by Schrodinger's Cat View Post
                              In the region of the USA I live in, distances are measured in units of time.

For example, I live somewhere between an hour and an hour and a half from midtown Manhattan, depending on highway traffic.

For some reason, this doesn't seem compatible with the metric units for length.
                              Haha same here. We measure things by the time it takes us to get to Boston, which for me is thankfully short since, you know, I love in the city
                              Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                              Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Working...
                              X