This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ledger Wins Posthumous Golden Globe Award

Heath Ledger has been honoured with his first major award since his tragic death last year - a Golden Globe for his role in Batman movie The Dark Knight.

The tragic star was named Best Supporting Actor in a Motion Picture for his captivating performance as villain The Joker, provoking an outpouring of emotion from the star-studded crowd.

Tom Cruise, nominated for the same award for his role in comedy Tropic Thunder, led a standing ovation, and Dark Knight director Christopher Nolan fought back tears when he collected the award on Ledger's behalf.

The filmmaker told the audience, "All of us who worked with Heath on The Dark Knight accept this with sadness but incredible pride.

"After Heath passed on, you saw a hole ripped in the future of cinema.

"But with the extraordinary response to his work, from all over the world. I for one start to look a bit less at that gap in the future and a bit more at the incredible place in the history of cinema that he built for himself with his talent and his dedication to his artistry.

"He will be eternally missed. But he will never be forgotten."

Speaking earlier on the red carpet, Ledger's Dark Knight co-stars Aaron Eckhart and Maggie Gyllenhaal revealed they were rooting for their late pal.

Eckhart said, "It's nice that he is nominated.

"We need to celebrate Heath and celebrate his work. Hopefully he'll win tonight. Not that it matters."

Gyllenhaal added, "Everyone is very, very proud. He elevated that movie to a completely different place. It's hard to be that good in a movie that big. I hope that he wins."

Ledger died on 22 January 2008 from an accidental prescription drug overdose at his New York home.

http://us.imdb.com/news/ns0000002/?start=21

Im Sorry If This Offends...
    I didnt think his joker was that good.
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint... it happens to kinda look like the name 'Jeremy Bearimy' in cursive English.

Comment

Originally posted by stargatefan234 View Post
      Im Sorry If This Offends...
      I didnt think his joker was that good.
      Eh, it depends on how you take the Joker. Some people like the Nicholson cartoon-y kind of villain, whereas some saw the darker, more-maniacal one Ledger created as the better of the two. Personally I loved Heath, I thought he hit the "completely insane" nail right on the head, exactly what I wanted from the movie.
      Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
      Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
        Eh, it depends on how you take the Joker. Some people like the Nicholson cartoon-y kind of villain, whereas some saw the darker, more-maniacal one Ledger created as the better of the two. Personally I loved Heath, I thought he hit the "completely insane" nail right on the head, exactly what I wanted from the movie.
        granted, I prefer the Nicholson sort of joker, but i still dont think Ledger even nailed the "completely insane" joker
        People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint... it happens to kinda look like the name 'Jeremy Bearimy' in cursive English.

Comment

I'd love to know what performance you think has nailed 'completely nuts'. Heath's is as good as I've seen controlled yet severe psychotic illness.
          Had Jack Nicholson brought some of that "Heeeere's Johnny!" from The Shining to his Joker, it would have been better.
          sigpic
          More fun @ Spoofgate!

Comment

IMO, he deserved it.

He owned the movie. I'd have given him the lead actor award even though he wasn't the named star of the movie, but dominated the movie nonetheless.
            IMO always implied.

Comment

Ledger's daughter will get his Globe
              Tuesday, January 13 2009, 16:22 GMT

By Lara Martin

Heath Ledger's Golden Globe will be given to his daughter Matilda, according to the actor's mother.

The star was posthumously honoured for his performance as the Joker in The Dark Knight at last Sunday's ceremony.

"I should imagine that eventually [the award] will be going to Matilda," Sally Bell told People.

"At this stage she is only so young, but down the track she will have all these things. It will belong to her because she is part of him."

Bell revealed that the star's family was "bursting with pride" over his win, but added that the past year had been "a bit of an emotional rollercoaster" for them.

"There is a lot of emotion tied up in this and we have to deal with that emotion first before we can relax and enjoy the moment, if you know what I mean.

"It is such a fantastic and wonderful legacy for his daughter. Matilda will have so many people who will be able to speak to her about her father's abilities and [the] respect he had in the industry. That is such a wonderful legacy to leave."

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/showbiz/...his-globe.html

Comment

A) The Dark Knight is getting so many nominations & wins because the fan boys are practically out for blood if it got nothing due to this death

B) I still wonder how the public would view The Dark Knight if Heath never died & the fan boys would usually mean nothing

Comment

I to wonder B)

Comment

Originally posted by stargatefan234 View Post
                    I to wonder B)
                    I guess we will find out with the third movie if it

A) Makes as much if not more Box Office Wise

B) Wins as many awards

Chances are it won't do either

Comment

Originally posted by JackO'Neill View Post

B) Wins as many awards

Agreed it more than likely on both accounts

Comment

B) Wins as many awards

But the next movie will lack this one's story, acting, etc... you can't replicate what The Dark Knight had for comparison. Personally I don't think it was Heath's death that did it; a lot of hype came from the premise, the return of the Joker, the darker story, the praise Ledger was getting for this portrayal (before his death, mind you), and the fact that this was the first franchise movie to lack "Batman" in the name. To a lot of fans, that last part really showed how bada** this was going to be.
                        Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                        Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                          But the next movie will lack this one's story, acting, etc... you can't replicate what The Dark Knight had for comparison. Personally I don't think it was Heath's death that did it; a lot of hype came from the premise, the return of the Joker, the darker story, the praise Ledger was getting for this portrayal (before his death, mind you), and the fact that this was the first franchise movie to lack "Batman" in the name. To a lot of fans, that last part really showed how bada** this was going to be.
                          So your saying the next one can't be just as good to get enough praise without Heath's Joker eh

Comment

So your saying the next one can't be just as good to get enough praise without Heath's Joker eh
                            ...no, I'm saying you can't judge how good The Dark Knight could have been without Ledger's death by comparing it to the next Batman movie.

Comment

I never saw the movie until it came out on dvd.

Before that I thought it was all hype about Ledger was because he had died, and didn't think he could really be as good as they were saying considering I never really thought of him as that great an actor anyway.

I thought the movie looked great from the start and was interested in the Joker being in it, but I kind of questioned the choice of actor. Well when I finally saw it, he turned out to be great in the part despite my skepticism. My opinion of course.
                              IMO always implied.

Comment

Working...
                              X