This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Older" parts of the universe?

If the faster you travel the slower time passes wouldnt that mean the galaxies further out to the expanding edge of the universe have experienced time alot slower than we have? In a sense wouldnt these Galaxies be "Older" than us. In the time life evolves in our neighborhood of the universe, the ancients come, seed life, ascend, the guaould come, the ori come, the Wraith come. Maybe in all that span of time a galaxy closer to the edge of the expanding universe time is progressed slower relative to us that one exceedingly old race has evolved and dominated.

There is no edge to the 3D Universe. Every galaxy is travelling at more-or-less the same speed relative to the spacetime fabric.

Comment

yeh but i here that galaxy's alot futher out than ours are much older in real life so i guess it would be same for the stargate universe and there for any aliens met could be very old and wise and very powerful

Comment

No, that's not true either. All galaxies are roughly the same age.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
          No, that's not true either. All galaxies are roughly the same age.
          I guess it just depends on if you subscribe to the Big Bang theory or not.
          sigpic

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/brettsuddreth

Comment

Maybe this will help you a bit.

http://www.atlasoftheuniverse.com/redshift.html

The rest of the site is good read as well.

Comment

we've had this come up in other threads, and I suspect that it will come up again and again, so perhaps it is best to have this topic in a thread on its own.

In another thread it was explained to me that (and apologies if I get this wrong) all matter in the universe is the same age, all of it was created at the same time, in the Big Bang. However, stars, planets and other solid forms of matter formed at different times. So it is possible that a solar system or many systems out there formed a long time before our star gathered its matter into planets through the force of its gravity, making those planets younger than other planets out there.

But I don't think that has anything to do with the theory of the speed of light. If I understand that correctly, that is relative to the person that is travelling. That is, for the person travelling, time slows down, but for the stationary objects that person is passing, time stays the same. However, I'm no expert and I am sure that one will come along soon and explain this (hopefully in a way I can understand!).
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by _Ancients_ View Post
                I guess it just depends on if you subscribe to the Big Bang theory or not.
                Not really, what you believe has no bearing on what is true.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                  Touche.
                  sigpic

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/brettsuddreth

Comment

Originally posted by GateGipsy View Post
                    we've had this come up in other threads, and I suspect that it will come up again and again, so perhaps it is best to have this topic in a thread on its own.

In another thread it was explained to me that (and apologies if I get this wrong) all matter in the universe is the same age, all of it was created at the same time, in the Big Bang. However, stars, planets and other solid forms of matter formed at different times. So it is possible that a solar system or many systems out there formed a long time before our star gathered its matter into planets through the force of its gravity, making those planets younger than other planets out there.

But I don't think that has anything to do with the theory of the speed of light. If I understand that correctly, that is relative to the person that is travelling. That is, for the person travelling, time slows down, but for the stationary objects that person is passing, time stays the same. However, I'm no expert and I am sure that one will come along soon and explain this (hopefully in a way I can understand!).

Yeah like um what they wrote
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                      But there are many theories that could be true, we simply dont know enough variables to say what is, what is not and what sort of is.

Comment

Originally posted by Floo View Post
                        But there are many theories that could be true, we simply dont know enough variables to say what is, what is not and what sort of is.
                        Really, like what? I'm curious because, as far as I know, the Big Bang theory has been pretty well supported by the evidence we've been able to get. What other scientific theories also match the facts that we do know.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Floo View Post
                          That depends whether you're using the word in the general sense or the scientific sense, they mean two different things.

Comment

Originally posted by GateGipsy View Post
                            Really, like what? I'm curious because, as far as I know, the Big Bang theory has been pretty well supported by the evidence we've been able to get. What other scientific theories also match the facts that we do know.
                            The BBT is currently the theory with the most support behind it. There are other scientific theories which are all based around string theory, M-theory, and parallel universe collisions, but as it stands know the BBT is the only one we can support with our current evidence.

I of course consider all other "alternative" theories (like Creationism) to be sheer nonsense because they have no foundation in science.

Comment

The universe is expanding so isnt there a central point its expanding from? I get that space and time are expanding as well so it seems uniform but shouldnt there be a specific measurable point from where it happened.

Comment

Working...
                              X