the PACIFIC ocean??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the PACIFIC ocean??

Why? most of the folklore about atlantis has it in the middle of the atlantic ocean, so maybe they should have had it land there, in keeping with the atlantis legend? woulda been much better...

feel free to delete this thread if the topics been brought up before...

Originally posted by BigPharaoh View Post
    Why? most of the folklore about atlantis has it in the middle of the atlantic ocean, so maybe they should have had it land there, in keeping with the atlantis legend? woulda been much better...

I think they threw the keeping with ancient myths thing when they put Atlantis in a nother Galaxy
    Carl Sagan on Nuclear self Destruction

Comment

Originally posted by FN-P90 View Post
      I think they threw the keeping with ancient myths thing when they put Atlantis in a nother Galaxy
      lol. that's true, but I think they landed in the pacific so they could see the bridge.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by stargatelvr View Post
        lol. that's true, but I think they landed in the pacific so they could see the bridge.
        I thought it landed in the dead middle of the Pacific.

Comment

Well a current favorite location for the mythological location of Atlantis is under Antartica. Which is where (Stargates) Atlantis started out at least on Earth.
          A word of advice... there are creatures that live between this dimension and the next, fiendish creatures that feast on the suffering of an entire world to satiate their eternal hunger. Support the Gateworld Cantina or suffer the fate of all who fall into the clutches of the 'Eladrith Ynneas'

Comment

Prolly the most iconic image of the US coast they could use. Unless they wanted to go with the statue of Liberty instead. As for why california? WHY NOT?

Comment

I think it's because the Atlantic Ocean is a lot colder. I would've rather landed in the warm Pacific than the cold Atlantic. Brrr! And plus Atlantis probably just entered the atmosphere over the Pacific. Why fly over the country and risk being seen when you can land in the Pacific, which is closer?

Comment

While I was thinking the same thing, I also came to one major conclusion. The Pacific Ocean is a hell of a lot bigger than the Atlantic. When you are plummeting out of the atmosphere at who-knows-how-fast and land is the last thing you want to hit, you'd probably aim for the largest body of water available, which at the moment is the Pacific Ocean.

Man...I thought this episode was great. Some slight plot-holes and easy-fixes, but I was very satisfied with this as the ending for the show and the opening for the movies. I'm looking forward to the new beginning.
                thankee toasteronfire

Comment

Actually, there are both Atlantis like myths in both Hawaii and Japan. And some people even think that there could be a connection between the two.

Comment

I thought the mythical Atlantis was somewhere around the Bermuda Triangle - Probably not the best place to land an Ancient city with a live Wraith in it!! Besides, too many hurricanes comin' thru there lately. Dont know how feasible it would be to explain away the massive hole in the wall of water when it hits the cloaked city.
                    sigpic myLornefanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Col.Foley View Post
                      Actually, there are both Atlantis like myths in both Hawaii and Japan. And some people even think that there could be a connection between the two.
                      Exactly. Many coastal civilizations have Atlantis-like myths and it is beginning to look less like Atlantis was some continent out in the middle of the Atlantic and more like a civilization spread around the world. So the Atlantic ocean is more just a symbolic placement of Atlantis now, and really nothing more.
                      thankee toasteronfire

Comment

The coolness factor of that last scene looking out the the Golden Gate Bridge was better than anything they could have come up with landing in the Atlantic. Just because Atlantis and Atlantic are only one letter different doesn't mean landing in the Atlantic was the best idea.

Landing in SF was also a nod to Star Trek because Starfleet HQ was in SF.
                        I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by Captain-Peregrine View Post
                          Exactly. Many coastal civilizations have Atlantis-like myths and it is beginning to look less like Atlantis was some continent out in the middle of the Atlantic and more like a civilization spread around the world. So the Atlantic ocean is more just a symbolic placement of Atlantis now, and really nothing more.
                          or several different civilizations.

Comment

The Atlantis Ocean was named after Atlantis myth

Go Green

Comment

Originally posted by Col.Foley View Post
                              The only one that has any evidence althoug small as it is the Japanes "Atlantis" The others are mostly a load.

Comment

Working...
                              X