This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Atlantis in Review - Spoilers for all seasons

Here is my somewhat rambling review looking back at atlantis and asking whats next?

The episodes were split into several groups: Wraith stories, Replicator stories, exploring the city stories, and planet of the week. These include a number of ongoing plots and storylines. Some include the Super ford arc, the asuranWeir arc, the Teyla as a mother, Keller going from a scared noob to a integrated part of the expidition. The biggest 2 arcs of atlantis were the Wraith, and the evolution of Mckay. IMHO

Mckay has gone from a villian on sg1 to a social misfit, to something of a well rounded person. MCkay in season one was hostile, arrogant and insecure. As the show progressed he began to evolve through both team friendships and romantic relationships. Sheppard would never have been the best friend of the Mckay we saw in Sg1. Rhonin and Mckay had a powerful connection because of their conflict. I always got a Pinky and the Brain vibe, if pinky were 7 foot tall and covered with muscles.

The Wrath have gone from a single ominus threat to diverse hostile groups with unique characters. In season one they were a galactic juggernaut that little could be done but run and hide. Through Teylas abilities, the encountering of several queens and the introduction of Todd and Michael we got a look at their various factions and discovered that they are as much a danger to eachother as to us. Even when they were a unified force betrayl and subterfuge is common. Battle plans often changed with a sudden twist in leadership, or the true reveal of the real plan.

The replicator war was an arc unto itsself but the ultimate role it played in the series was to make the Wraith more dangerous. As evidenced by aurora, spoils of war and Enemy at the gate the effect of any replicator or ancient technology in the hands of the Wraith is catastrophic. That the Wraith had a captured footsoilder and a number of ZPMs lead to the conclusion that the Wraith could become a immenent threat to earth at any time, even from a galaxy away.

Where the show goes from here? Mid season 4 it seemd that Earthlings had a massive technological advantage over the wraith, often taking out hives in a couple ****s. But as we saw in EatG, wraith+ZPMs = almost unstoppable. If Sheppard wasnt suicidal there would have been no stopping it. It was left unclear how many ZPMs the Wraith have, leaving them a very clear and immediate threat to Earth. SO basically where i think the show goes from here is an arms race to develop bigger powersources faster than the wraith. Recovering ZPMs is important, and warrants a presence in the pegasus galaxy, but theres a limited number of them to be found. And with Pegasus nearly empty of Humans after being culled for 5 years they are in just as much a hurry.

So my verdict is that the series should still focus on Pegasus and the Wraith, even if Atlantis remains on earth with them gating from earth and returning via a midway station. There should still be an ample number of exploring the city stories (with the danger ratcheted up because of its location), a steady stream of the character arcs that we know and love, AND some of the new stories and situations based on their presence on Earth, (maybe some of the original ideas from before the series was relocated to pegasus).

Originally posted by kymeric View Post

McKay has gone from a villain on sg1
    I know that no one really liked McKay on SG-1, but how does that make him a villain?
    Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!

Comment

In the same way that Kinsey was a villain early on in SG-1. Not a guns-blazing adversary, but someone subversive whose goals are often in contradiction with the 'heroes'.
      "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
        In the same way that Kinsey was a villain early on in SG-1. Not a guns-blazing adversary, but someone subversive whose goals are often in contradiction with the 'heroes'.
        I can't see McKay compared to Kinsey at all. Kinsey was just a real jerk whose sole purpose was to shut down control of the Stargate program or take control of it. I didn't like McKay on Sg-1, but I never thought he was in the same class as Kinsey - not even close.

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
          McKay was no where near the same as Kinsey. In SG-1 Mckay was arrogant and competitive, and did not play well with others. Kinsey on the other hand was a jerk who hated SG-1 and anyone associated with the SGC. He would do whatever it took to get rid of Jack and the General even if it was treasonous to earth.
          sigpic

Comment

He almost killed Tealc O.o

Comment

Originally posted by dfoster1228 View Post
              McKay was no where near the same as Kinsey. In SG-1 Mckay was arrogant and competitive, and did not play well with others. Kinsey on the other hand was a jerk who hated SG-1 and anyone associated with the SGC. He would do whatever it took to get rid of Jack and the General even if it was treasonous to earth.
              Exactly. McKay was just another Area 51 brat that wanted to do more and always felt like he was called into "fix" things. He never did anything that was detrimental to SG1 or SGC.
              sigpic

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/brettsuddreth

Comment

Working...
              X