PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes A Great Notion (411)

Pages : 1 [2]

peragrin
January 22nd, 2009, 05:24 PM
I could have sworn someone involved in BSG said that the show would not use many of the elements so typical in SF - no aliens, no time travel, no AUs.

I may be thinking of EJO's comment (joke?) that he would leave the show if they ever started doing the above, but I thought a PTB also confirmed that.

EJO's comment was if he ever sees someone in a rubber costume he is leaving.

So far no rubber aliens. Time travel is also a probably no no. Besides BSG rarely focuses on the tech, So if they figure out that Kara got shot through a wormhole, was reborn and shot back to the nebula in a different wormhole where at a different rate of time, it will be a one line event maybe two and it's over.

in fact it will take less time than you spent reading the previous paragraph.

avidffan
January 22nd, 2009, 06:42 PM
heres my thoughts on this episode

theyre both random what if ideas

1. extinct humans created the cylons then they became the only form of life in the bsg universe
and they created the humans as a way to evole having reached the limits of technology
and were betrayed by them
the 13th tribe is really the frist tribe
and all the mystery was to keep the 12 tribes from ever learning the truth
that cylons created them

2. "happened before and will happen again" is a reference to the ancient cylon/human plan to perfect the two races into one ultimate being
and much like the matrix when things dont work out the cylons destroy the humans saving only genetic material to repopulate some other system with them and restart the whole thing over and over again
the 12 models being copies of the origianl 12 cylons and humans who came up with the plan
5 being the next step along their path
7 being one step below the 5
so everytime it begins again the cylons have evolved a little bit more
remeber machines do literally have forever to get it right

just a couple of really random thoughts

and on a side note
can the loop ever start again since ty killed helen
or will this be the final time and the end of the bsg univers for good?

HAL2100
January 23rd, 2009, 07:30 AM
1. Regardless of the story or genre, there always has to be certain degree of suspension of disbelief on the audiences part. Why can't 90% of the posters here just accept that the scenes depicted represent a war-torn world devastated by a nuclear war 2000 years after the event? Why can't they be taken at face-value as depicted without dissecting them down to minutiae?

2. As to Starbuck, who the hell knows? The facts are...
- She was somehow transported from the nebula to Earth
- She was familiar with the supernova due to some intervention by someone.

I personally think that within the 13th Colony there were no '12' models. They all had a variety of shapes, sizes, skin colors and whatnot as demonstrated by the flashbacks. With that I still think that Starbuck is a 13th model that the original 7 were never programmed to know about in keeping with the coincidence that there are 12 Colonies and 12 Cylons, which isn't correct because there are 13 Colonies.

HAL2100
January 23rd, 2009, 07:32 AM
It may very well be that the powers that be (those responsible for sending the five to the colonies) were striving to 'perfect' humanity by crossing man and machine and that their attempts keep ending in failure.

Keep in mind that Hera (and by default Tyrol's child) have been described as the shape of things to come.

Maybe the 13th tribe was looking for a practical means to immortality by crossing man and machine in such a way that a person's consciousness could be downloaded into a new body.

Assuming that everything originated at Kobol, its possible that a rift developed between the 12 tribes and the 13th which resulted in everyone leaving Kobol and the 13th going their own way. The 13th managed to cross man and machine and down the road realized the consequences and sent the Five back in an attempt to save all that the 13 tribe had been.

treefrog
January 23rd, 2009, 01:39 PM
Starbuck cannot be a cylon, cylon-hybrid, or any part-cylon or it would be highly inconsistent with the storyline up to now. My vote is that Starbuck is a clone of herself. Remember when she was on Caprica and had some surgical procedure done. . .

Starbuck crashlands, and a new Starbuck emerges in a new Viper -- conveniently with no recollection of getting there or coming back. The question becomes who is pulling the strings, leading the humans around and creating these events? Has to be a Cylon splinter cell or some higher order of Cylon (perhaps the original 12 Cylons/charters of the 12 colonies, as I kinda dig that idea.) I believe it is Cylon driven. Remember, . . . "They Have a Plan."

I am still waiting on how they work in the hybrid children . . .

I agree that the writers will not ruin a good show now with wormholes and time travel.

I waiting on pins and needles. . . . .

madk99
January 23rd, 2009, 01:59 PM
If you want to be pernickity, the FTL drives are not plausible. Totally impossible and unrealistic, but a necessary story device.

Oh ye, of little imagination!!

And you call yourself a sci-fi fan???

madk99
January 23rd, 2009, 02:09 PM
4. Best guess says the original Kara travelled back in time 2000 years and that her appearance somehow changed history, making her a thirteenth Cylon. Fact is, we've never had a clue what sort of time period BSG is set in Earthwise.

Why do people keep mentioning that the viper wreck was there for 2000 years??

Clearly, this is one thing that fits with the 4-5 months timeframe. The wreck, condition of the body, position of debris ON TOP of vegitation -- this was as recent addition to the planet.

It certainly appears the case that the time of Kara's "death" was when the viper crashed on the planet (notice I'm not calling it Earth). How it got there? What is Kara? Where did the new viper come from? These are still burning questions.

One other minor thing that bothers me. In the final scene of Crossroads when Kara reappears, her viper has no nameplate on the cockpit. In later episodes we see it reappear.

Berg417448
January 23rd, 2009, 02:40 PM
One other minor thing that bothers me. In the final scene of Crossroads when Kara reappears, her viper has no nameplate on the cockpit. In later episodes we see it reappear.

I remember discussion of this subject before. It was just continuity error by the show's crew.

BobBot
January 23rd, 2009, 02:46 PM
Oh ye, of little imagination!!

And you call yourself a sci-fi fan???

Oh, I don't mind that it's not plausible, I was just pointing it out. It's a story device, and treated as such, and that's all fine because we wouldn't have the stories we do. I only get annoyed with things like that when they go all Star Trek - you know, when a character suddenly invents a new warp drive/sheild/weapon/whatever just at the right time, it's a lazy and unlikely way to resolve a story.

BobBot
January 23rd, 2009, 03:00 PM
Maybe the 13th tribe was looking for a practical means to immortality by crossing man and machine in such a way that a person's consciousness could be downloaded into a new body.

From what we know so far, that seems the most likely explanation. Why else would you create a machine that so closely resembles humans? Essentially they are humans, but with a little variation to allow data uploads and downloads (which by necessity involve machines).

HAL2100
January 23rd, 2009, 03:33 PM
Since Sometimes a Great Nation has aired, a variety of wiki's out there and other whatnot have clearly stated that the 13th tribe was composed of Cylons when they departed from Kobol.

My point of order is that we do not know for a fact that the 13th tribe was composed of Cylons when they left. The only information that we know is that by the time of the holocaust, Earth was populated by Cylons.

Everyone who (Baltar, Caprica, Odama, etc) in the exam room who stated that the 13th tribe was Cylon made the same assumption.

The discovery of widespread Cylon skeletons neither confirms or denies that the 13th tribe was originally Cylon or Human.

HAL2100
January 23rd, 2009, 03:40 PM
From what we know so far, that seems the most likely explanation. Why else would you create a machine that so closely resembles humans? Essentially they are humans, but with a little variation to allow data uploads and downloads (which by necessity involve machines).

Its also consistent with the idea of the created striving to become like the creator - man created cylon (for whatever purpose) thus mirroring the Creator creating man), cylon evolving into the organic thus mirroring man.

L-S
January 23rd, 2009, 07:05 PM
Starbuck cannot be a cylon, cylon-hybrid, or any part-cylon or it would be highly inconsistent with the storyline up to now. My vote is that Starbuck is a clone of herself. Remember when she was on Caprica and had some surgical procedure done. . .

Well, now you're being too clever for your own pants.

The deal is, she's a golem, she BURNT her OWN BODY on a PYRE. It's madness, MADNESS! Biblical level MADNESS!

AAHHHH!!!

Ah.

ah.

It's horrifying.

And playing your game, new-Kara would have the memories of nothing, she'd be a cloned egg, grown into a big, muscle-y, tough Scandinavian chick.

She's a golem. She's not one of us, she's one of something else. She's a monster - and one that we loved. And she BURNT HER OWN BODY! [email protected]!!!!

Ah. Biblically wrong. Creepy. Awful.

Pretty shocking stuff. Tremendous mythic drama.

HAL2100
January 23rd, 2009, 07:38 PM
Well, now you're being too clever for your own pants.

The deal is, she's a golem, she BURNT her OWN BODY on a PYRE. It's madness, MADNESS! Biblical level MADNESS!

AAHHHH!!!

Ah.

ah.

It's horrifying.

And playing your game, new-Kara would have the memories of nothing, she'd be a cloned egg, grown into a big, muscle-y, tough Scandinavian chick.

She's a golem. She's not one of us, she's one of something else. She's a monster - and one that we loved. And she BURNT HER OWN BODY! [email protected]!!!!

Ah. Biblically wrong. Creepy. Awful.

Pretty shocking stuff. Tremendous mythic drama.

Maybe in the end, she'll wake up and tell the person in bed next to her 'I've had the most pecular dream' revealing that its all been a dream and at which point we'll see a hand lift to comfort her, but be left wondering who it was... Lee, Leoban, Adama, Tigh, Cat?

Back40
January 24th, 2009, 02:29 PM
This has probably been mentioned in another thread somewhere, but thought I would bring it up here, seeing as Laura has now had her book-burning party with the Pythian prophecies.

Maybe it's just my faulty memory, but I don't remember ever hearing in any of the quotes from the Pythian prophecies that the Dying Leader would lead the people to Earth. I remember quotes that the Thirteenth Tribe relocated on Earth after the exodus, I remember quotes regarding the instructions for getting to Earth, but I don't remember a quote about the people being lead to Earth.

What I DO remember is the following quote: And the Lords anointed a leader to guide the caravan of the heavens to their new homeland. "New homeland". Not "Earth". Up to now, the prophecies have been accurate. If Laura Roslin is the Dying Leader, then they may have misinterpreted the prophecy as new homeland = Earth. Which would explain why she was still alive when they reached it; "And the Leader suffered a wasting illness and would not live to enter the new land". Either that or the planet they reached is NOT Earth at all.

So maybe the Dying Leader's role is not yet finished and Laura needs to dig up another copy of the prophecies. ;)

L-S
January 24th, 2009, 02:43 PM
Either that or the planet they reached is NOT Earth at all.

Yeah, it's not our "Earth," or their final Earth. No identifying exterior shots... no visible continent outlines...

The end of season 3, Kara Thrace's resurrection, showed their universe zooming out, and flying through worlds, ending with a shot of - North America. (The center of the Universe, I suppose, we're supposed to understand).

So, no, the nuked-Earth is not the final Earth... they're shuffling the cards still.

HAL2100
January 25th, 2009, 12:49 PM
This has probably been mentioned in another thread somewhere, but thought I would bring it up here, seeing as Laura has now had her book-burning party with the Pythian prophecies.

What I DO remember is the following quote: And the Lords anointed a leader to guide the caravan of the heavens to their new homeland. "New homeland". Not "Earth". Up to now, the prophecies have been accurate. If Laura Roslin is the Dying Leader, then they may have misinterpreted the prophecy as new homeland = Earth. Which would explain why she was still alive when they reached it; "And the Leader suffered a wasting illness and would not live to enter the new land". Either that or the planet they reached is NOT Earth at all.

Yoda: Hmmm...I prophecy which misread may have been.

HAL2100
January 25th, 2009, 12:50 PM
Yeah, it's not our "Earth," or their final Earth. No identifying exterior shots... no visible continent outlines...

The end of season 3, Kara Thrace's resurrection, showed their universe zooming out, and flying through worlds, ending with a shot of - North America. (The center of the Universe, I suppose, we're supposed to understand).

So, no, the nuked-Earth is not the final Earth... they're shuffling the cards still.

Give me a good reason why the Cylons and Colonials would choose 'Earth' as the name to give their new planet.

BobBot
January 26th, 2009, 08:53 AM
Starbuck cannot be a cylon, cylon-hybrid, or any part-cylon or it would be highly inconsistent with the storyline up to now.

But if she is a cylon, there could be hundreds of copies of her! There'd be Starbucks on every corner, thereby proving that the planet really is Earth ;)

L-S
January 26th, 2009, 09:47 AM
But if she is a cylon, there could be hundreds of copies of her! There'd be Starbucks on every corner, thereby proving that the planet really is Earth ;)

A Kara Thrace for every one of us?? AAAHHH~!!! Who could handle that?

Starbuck cannot be a cylon, cylon-hybrid, or any part-cylon or it would be highly inconsistent with the storyline up to now.

Highly inconsistent! Yes, well.. that's the name of series television... Or Sci-Fi, or anything that outlives its germinating idea. It begins to grow, both ad hoc, and organically.

Give me a good reason why the Cylons and Colonials would choose 'Earth' as the name to give their new planet.

Why do they speak English?

Where do they put their poop?

Where do they get nitrogen in their food?

How do they grow food? (How do they survive on Algae???)

What's an FTL drive?

Uh... you want to keep going? What is 'Earth' in their language? Is it "soil", "terra," we don't know. And you skipped the reality -

No identifying exterior shots. (Bu-dum-duhm, goes the drum). Get it? They're holding their cards close. Leaving options open. We'll see if they decide that all of it was Cally's dream, as they apparently felt free to yank the audience to and fro on that count, as of the next 'Chief's not the daddy' episode.

Yank!

Mongoletsi
January 26th, 2009, 09:57 AM

Not really mate; they're a different kind of Cylon. With your logic, there'd be loads of Tyrols, Fosters, Tighs(x2), and Anderseseses...

I still want to know if the corpses are Sig Seven Cylons or Final Five Cylons. My understanding was that the Final Five are biologically "human". Certainly they can't stick fibre optics in their arms, or tell Boomer from Athena, etc.

L-S
January 26th, 2009, 10:21 AM
There'd be Starbucks on every corner, thereby proving that the planet really is Earth

Oh, you got me. I did miss that the first time - That's very funny...

STARBUCKS.. d'oh!!!

(Very good!)

HAL2100
January 26th, 2009, 11:42 AM

If that were true, we'd all be ass-kicked out of the galaxy in no time - Cylon and Human.

Mongoletsi
January 26th, 2009, 11:53 AM
Oh, you got me. I did miss that the first time - That's very funny...

STARBUCKS.. d'oh!!!

(Very good!)

Indeed. Can't believe I missed that!

HAL2100
January 26th, 2009, 08:22 PM
I've been reading over quotes from MacBeth and personally, I'd like to see one or two crop up in the dialog over the next couple of weeks.

"By the pricking of my thumbs,
Something wicked this way comes. "

HAL2100
January 27th, 2009, 08:37 AM
Does anyone else think that it would have been quite ironic if they had used instrumental bits of 'Dust in the Wind' by Kansas in the episode? Here's the lyrics if you're not familiar with the song

I close my eyes, only for a moment, and the moment's gone
All my dreams, pass before my eyes, a curiosity
Dust in the wind, all they are is dust in the wind

Same old song, just a drop of water in an endless sea
All we do, crumbles to the ground though we refuse to see
Dust in the wind, all we are is dust in the wind.
Oh________________

Don't hang on, nothing lasts forever but the earth and sky
It slips away, all your money won't another minute buy

Dust in the wind, all we are is dust in the wind
Dust in the wind, all we are is dust in the wind
Dust in the wind, everything is dust in the wind (everything is dust in the wind)

Back40
January 27th, 2009, 06:46 PM
And here I thought I was the only person in this forum old enough to remember that song coming out :)

Hang on a minute....I may still be the oldest....:o

KatG
January 27th, 2009, 06:58 PM
I'm afraid not. I remember when it came out too. And I agree it would have been a very appropriate song to play when they were walking around on the scorched "Earth".

Skydiver
January 27th, 2009, 07:02 PM
i'm loving the irony of Kansas singing a theme song for a BSG eps :)

couldn't think of anything further from an alien planet than that :)

HAL2100
January 27th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Not really mate; they're a different kind of Cylon. With your logic, there'd be loads of Tyrols, Fosters, Tighs(x2), and Anderseseses...

I still want to know if the corpses are Sig Seven Cylons or Final Five Cylons. My understanding was that the Final Five are biologically "human". Certainly they can't stick fibre optics in their arms, or tell Boomer from Athena, etc.

Moore has stated that the Cylons found on Earth are a different type of Cylon - which would apply to the Fab Five as well.

HAL2100
January 27th, 2009, 07:56 PM
And here I thought I was the only person in this forum old enough to remember that song coming out :)

Hang on a minute....I may still be the oldest....:o

Remember I do when Battlestar Galactica debuted...
Forget if I could, Galactica 1980...

HAL2100
January 27th, 2009, 08:02 PM
How about Stairway to Heaven as the background music for the grand and glorious finale as they're all slaughtered as several have hinted at?

maybe Hotel California - we are all prisoner's here of our own devices...

Mongoletsi
January 27th, 2009, 11:41 PM
You might be onto something... "we are programmed to recieve".

I don't wanna be stabbed by no steely knives ;)

Shan Bruce Lee
January 30th, 2009, 08:49 PM
How about Stairway to Heaven as the background music for the grand and glorious finale as they're all slaughtered as several have hinted at?

maybe Hotel California - we are all prisoner's here of our own devices...

Hotel California is probably a more fitting description of where these people are going than Stairway to Heaven.

Back40
January 30th, 2009, 10:51 PM
Remember I do when Battlestar Galactica debuted...
Forget if I could, Galactica 1980...

Frak yes!!! We'd ALL like to forget Galactica '80.....:eek:

*shudders*

Coco Pops
January 31st, 2009, 04:15 AM

Hahaha I think I got the joke :)

Coco Pops
January 31st, 2009, 04:21 AM
So they find Earth.

but, but, but.

Is there some kind of rule in science fiction that when a show represents our world that we are not allowed to see a truly realistic vision of our own planet? ie: shape of continents, buildings, culture, etc. etc. No shop signs or evidence of a world that could really be connected to the Earth we know?

g.o.d
January 31st, 2009, 04:33 AM
I think it wasn't the Earth we all live on

Coco Pops
January 31st, 2009, 05:06 PM
I think it wasn't the Earth we all live on

What there's another one :)

HAL2100
January 31st, 2009, 05:36 PM
So they find Earth.

but, but, but.

Is there some kind of rule in science fiction that when a show represents our world that we are not allowed to see a truly realistic vision of our own planet? ie: shape of continents, buildings, culture, etc. etc. No shop signs or evidence of a world that could really be connected to the Earth we know?

Nope. You'll find that science fiction encompasses a wide range of concepts and time periods. Case in point, Heroes and (the short-lived) Surface both depict the real world in the present day. Granted Heroes also provides future flashes. You also have everything that ranges from a utopian society (Star Trek) to a distopia as in Battlefield Earth (example only! - it was a horrible move).

Easter Lily
January 31st, 2009, 11:10 PM
I have a love-hate relationship with this show. When it's good, there's not much out there that can compare with it but when it falls short of expectations, it's because it wallows in its bleakness for the sake of wallowing.
In spite of that, I look forward to closure and many resolutions in these final episodes.

As for the episode itself...
A few unexpected turns... especially the big reveal at the end. Not sure what to make of it at this stage.
Dee... poor Dee. On one level somewhat surprising, however on further consideration one can see a kind of symbolic projection going on. I don't think the writers really knew what to do with her beyond her initial Girl Friday role. Still I liked her better in this episode than I have for a long time.

I do like the storytelling in this episode and the radical shifts caused by the recent revelations I think marks a high degree of confidence not seen for some time. I've always believed that the part the cylons play in the overall story is what makes this show better than most scifi and I'm more convinced then ever. While I'm not always convinced that the writers know what they're doing with their characterization of primary and secondary characters -- often going off in self-indulgent tangents. Nonetheless, when the cylons are featured, they seem to be on far surer ground.

Medallion
February 1st, 2009, 08:47 AM
Okay, I got so caught up from reading these postings about this episode that I had to sign up and throw my two cents in here.

I haven't read all of the postings so I don’t know who’s said what, I'm just going to go with a stream of consciousness approach here...

I don’t think Dee had a flashback, she like many in the fleet were so distraught over “Earth” being destroyed on top of it being a Cylon home she couldn’t deal with it. There was a line of dialogue that said fighting and suicides were fleet-wide. I thought they could all be Cylons too, but I don’t think that theory will bear out over time. Starbuck is not a Cylon. She’s not the only person in the fleet to have visions, Laura Rosalin for example. Even though Starbuck’s weren’t as vivid or as blatant. Speaking of visions, what happened to Baltar’s chatty Number 6? Is his conscience finally clear? Because that’s all she was, a manifestation of his guilt.

We all saw Starbuck’s Viper blow up, but if you watch the scene it looks like the fuselage is blown away from the main explosion. This part (which was the only big part she found) could have been pulled through time (as much as I am loathed to say it) somehow and entered the atmosphere and misread as an attack. Thus making her the “harbinger of death” alluded to earlier. Leobon was so freaked out by finding her remains, because he knows she isn’t a Cylon so how could there be two of her. The other thing that could have lead to the destruction of “Earth” is the 12 Lords of Kobol attacked the 13th Lord’s new home world. I do agree that the lost tribe were Cylons and that’s why the 13th Lord’s name is not spoken. The final 5 were the only survivors and must have resurrected after the destruction of “Earth,” but in younger bodies with suppressed memories (since Adama has known Tigh for 30-40 years).

This is going to sound corny, but I still think the Ship of Lights from the original series will show up, hopefully with some if not all the answers. I also think it is responsible for Starbuck's miraculous return and will lead them to the true Earth. For those diehards of the original you’ll remember that they had the power to bring back the dead.

Pharaoh Atem
March 2nd, 2009, 02:28 AM
i didn't see dee's suicide coming at all and then finding out ellen was the fifth

plus sam wrote all along the watch tower hmmmmmmm makes you wonder

10/10

Coco Pops
March 2nd, 2009, 04:10 AM
This is going to sound corny, but I still think the Ship of Lights from the original series will show up, hopefully with some if not all the answers. I also think it is responsible for Starbuck's miraculous return and will lead them to the true Earth. For those diehards of the original you’ll remember that they had the power to bring back the dead.

Can you explain "ship of lights" While I remember the original show I never watched every single episode....

Also in the original series the Galactica receives a TV signal from Earth of the Apollo Moon Landing leaving the Moon and heading back to Earth. The silly humans are totally cloueless about this and ignore it treating it as a trick.

Now howcome they aren't picking up old TV and radio signals from Earth? Surely even if Earth is dead all the signals are still traveling through space?

Pharaoh Atem
April 1st, 2009, 07:02 PM
Bil cocks a gun "sit down cylon" drops it on a table

frakking awesome

Pharaoh Atem
October 13th, 2009, 04:53 PM
i'm going to rename this ep

Bill adama and the Terrible, Horrible,
No Good, Very Bad Day :)

Gamma626
September 7th, 2010, 04:29 PM
Ellen?! Really? They chose Ellen to be the fifth? They may as well have cast frakking Kat! Kat, Ellen and Tori. My three least favorite characters. Of which I was so happy when Ellen and Kat died. Now i'm stuck with her being back in the darn show.

Pharaoh Atem
September 7th, 2010, 06:45 PM
Ellen?! Really? They chose Ellen to be the fifth? They may as well have cast frakking Kat! Kat, Ellen and Tori. My three least favorite characters. Of which I was so happy when Ellen and Kat died. Now i'm stuck with her being back in the darn show.

IMO ellen being the fifth works out quite well and makes sense story wise

the fifth man
January 20th, 2011, 06:37 PM
My wife and I watched this episode tonight. She couldn't believe everything that went on, especially with Earth being a planet full of Cylons, and Ellen being the final Cylon model. What really surprised her though, was Dee. She did not see that coming at all.

AresLover452
January 25th, 2011, 12:01 AM
My wife and I watched this episode tonight. She couldn't believe everything that went on, especially with Earth being a planet full of Cylons, and Ellen being the final Cylon model. What really surprised her though, was Dee. She did not see that coming at all.

I literally PHREAKED out with Ellen being the LAST Cylon!! i was like WTF!!

i don;t htink anyone saw Dee's suicide coming. I know I didn't. I mean it was Dee....

Coco Pops
January 25th, 2011, 01:56 AM
I had a crush on Ellen..... And I'm one of the few red blooded males who thought Tori was kind of alright.

But I never in my life thought Ellen was cylon

Yessong
March 22nd, 2016, 07:37 AM
Ok - I kmow that all of these threads are VERY old but I'm on my third re-watch of the series and am still struggling with what happened on Earth.

A. It was nuked - by who? Why?
B. It was all Cylon - who created them?

Anyone? is anyone out there?

Coco Pops
March 22nd, 2016, 07:34 PM
Ok - I kmow that all of these threads are VERY old but I'm on my third re-watch of the series and am still struggling with what happened on Earth.

They evolved. No one person created them.

Yessong
March 23rd, 2016, 06:50 AM
They evolved. No one person created them.

Did we ever find out who nuked Earth? Was it an interplanetary thing (Humans?) or a war amongst themselves?

jelgate
March 23rd, 2016, 07:32 AM
Did we ever find out who nuked Earth? Was it an interplanetary thing (Humans?) or a war amongst themselves?

I think it was implied the humans but it was never specifically who actually nuked the planet. The whole point is what happened on Caprica was just a repeat of what happened Earth. Humans built robots that rebelled and started a war that destroyed a their planet. First Earth then Caprica. It's the whole point to this has happened and will happen again saying.

Nirude
May 24th, 2016, 02:00 PM

A. Doesn't matter who or why, there was a war between the humanoid cylons (who thought they were human) and the robot cylons they had created. Someone nuked somebody. Or maybe both.

B. The "people" on Earth were never human (well, human-human), I think after the resurrection technology was created on/near Kobol and possibly just after whatever caused the exodus of the tribes, the 13th tribe (composed of humanoid cylons) went their own ways more or less as humans to Earth, eventually ditching resurrection technology and procreating naturally through love at some point. They had completed the human to robot to "human" lifecycle.. and were actually on 2nd loop, recreating robots.

That was all until .. (spoilers for later episode) the final five recreated resurrection technology after receiving visions from messengers about impending war/disaster (at which point they travelled to warn the other colonies about creating AI but got there 2000 years too late, yada yada yada..BSG story begins)

Coco Pops
May 24th, 2016, 06:59 PM
Was there 2 planets called Earth?

Nirude
May 25th, 2016, 05:49 AM
Was there 2 planets called Earth?

As Adama says "Earth is a dream". But regardless, yes, I call them Earth-1 and Earth-2. Or Old Earth and New Earth.

Earth-1 really doesn't deserve the title of Earth though, it was just like Caprica, except pure cylon instead of pure human. The basic premise of BSG seems to be that both pure human and pure cylon civilizations don't work, so the god is pushing them together with Hera (also interestingly represented as an actual mixed child).

Coco Pops
May 25th, 2016, 07:57 PM
As Adama says "Earth is a dream". But regardless, yes, I call them Earth-1 and Earth-2. Or Old Earth and New Earth.

Earth-1 really doesn't deserve the title of Earth though, it was just like Caprica, except pure cylon instead of pure human. The basic premise of BSG seems to be that both pure human and pure cylon civilizations don't work, so the god is pushing them together with Hera (also interestingly represented as an actual mixed child).

Interesting.

beenkenobee
May 27th, 2016, 01:07 PM

the 'people' of the 13th colony...which were all cylon...same reason as the first cylon war.
originally, humans created them.