I hope Sam's ship...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I hope Sam's ship...

... Isn't actually called the USS "General Hammond" That sounds ridiculous. I'm down with it being named after General Hammond but not The General Hammond.

Ship names do not generally contain ranks. It should be the USS George Hammond.
    sigpic
    Banner By JME2

Agreed.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

It does sound kind of weird, but I think calling it the General Hammond would be respectful in a kind of affectionate way. Everyone knew him as 'General' Hammond, not so much as George S. Hammond. For many people (both characters within the show and fans of the show), he was *the* General, the epitome of a General, and exemplified the qualities someone of that rank and in his leadership position should have, so having the rank in the name is a mark of respect.

Comment

if they follow the same naming style as the US Navy does in real life, then it would be the USS George S. Hammond

just like the USS Ronald Reagan
        the USS William Jefferson Clinton
        the upcoming USS George W. Bush

but they could also just go with the USS Hammond
        like the USS Nimitz, named for Fleet Adm Chester A. Nimitz

i could care less, really, i'm waiting for the USS Jack O'Neill.....
        Colonel Jack O'Neill: So what's your impression of Alar?
        Teal'c: That he is concealing something.
        Colonel Jack O'Neill: Like what?
        Teal'c: I am unsure. He is concealing it.

Comment

Originally posted by irishpisano View Post
          The upcoming uss george w. Bush
          h. W.

"I have darkness inside of me!" - SpongeBob Squarepants

Comment

I like the name, but what the Navy does and what the Air (Chair) Force does are totally different. Just because one branch names their ships like A, doesn't mean the other can't do it like this.

But like I said, I like the name :-)

Comment

It should be named USS HOT, as in Hammond of Texas... LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Zamboni View Post
                It should be named USS HOT, as in Hammond of Texas... LOL
                That sounds like a good name for a ship of the Free Jaffa fleet. Commanded by Master Bra'tac.

Comment

Originally posted by fyere View Post
                  That sounds like a good name for a ship of the Free Jaffa fleet. Commanded by Master Bra'tac.
                  Paris Hilton: Your battleship is hot!
                  Teal'C: Indeed.
                  Last edited by Zamboni; 10 January 2009, 10:07 AM.

Comment

I was thinking that too, it should be the George Hammond or the Hammond, but if they have to call it the General Hammond, I'd be okay with that.

Perfecto!

Comment

it's a way to remember the late actor who played him, and if it sounds rediclulous to you, just deal with it! and it isn't meant to be real, it's science fictions....

Comment

Originally posted by q-ball-er View Post
                        it's a way to remember the late actor who played him, and if it sounds rediclulous to you, just deal with it! and it isn't meant to be real, it's science fictions....
                        It doesn't sound 'rediclulous.' Mainly because I can actually spell.

Like I said, I'm fine with it being named After Hammond as a nod to the character and actor. That's great.

But it should be the 'USS George Hammond'. Not the 'USS General Hammond.' The rank isn't part of his name. It shouldn't be part of the ship's name.

I wonder how Hammond would feel knowing he'll hence forth be referred to as 'she'
                        Last edited by Crazedwraith; 10 January 2009, 10:42 AM.
                        sigpic
                        Banner By JME2

Comment

Perhaps it is because alien dignitaries thought that his name was General Hammond in Bra'tac's case General Hammond of Texas
                          sigpic
                          "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
                          ~David Hewlett

Comment

i'm reminded of the General Lee in dukes of hazard...
                            Vice Admiral and occasionally the Acting Leader of the Gateworld Cantina
                            sigpic

Comment

It's unlikely to be Sam's ship in this timeline anyway.

Comment

Working...
                              X