Atlantis= new SGC?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Atlantis= new SGC?

From SG1 , we know two Milkyway gate on the new planetary area , one become dominate( like Alpha gate connect with DHD) ,get all the incomming worm hole almost all the time .But the other gate (Beta) can still dial out if alpha gate doesn't engage with a worm hole at the time.

Now we have some new rule, A pegasus gate can supercede any milkyway gate , the milkyway gate can not even dial out if the Pegasus gate is in the near area.

while Atlantis is on Earth for the duration of the repair , or much longer term depends on IOA's decision of future of Atlantis ,all SGC operation must move to Atlantis (or we can move the Atlantis gate to Cheyenne mountain)
    All the offworld team going in and out, receiving offworld mining material and lot of oter SGC operation.

In episode "1969", SG1 met Cassie of 50 yr in the future(about 40 yr from today) ,The SGC is mothball, the valuable stargate is left unguarded .
    In real life the Cheyane mountain is being sclose down.

It fit the Cassie's future if Atlantis remain on earth, The milkyway stargate is useless if the Pegasus gate is on Earth, that's why nobody will guard the stargae in the future.

I was imagining the SGC moving to Atlantis for a while for the same reasons but i don't think it will be permanent and i don't think they will aim to keep Cassandras future becoming true.

I think that if Atlantis does not stay on Earth, the SGC should install a Pegasus gate at the SGC to prevent this from happening again if more hives arrive in future.

Comment

Afaik, only Pegasus-gates can connect to Pegasus-gates, and likewise only Milkyway-gates can connect to Milkyway-gates. They needed to create a workaround to get the Milky Way and Pegasus gates to work properly at the Midway station.

Also, it was only after Rodney's recalibration of the Wraith ships DHD, that they were able to connect a Pegasus-gate to the Alpha Site's Milkyway-gate. And if its been recalibrated, its back to functioning as any default Milkyway-gate again

Comment

I think it's cool that they now have a Pegasus gate on Earth, as well as an Milky-Way gate. But, as Mckay said, the Pegasus gate in dominant over out-going/in-coming worm holes. So Atlantis won't be on Earth for very long.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/carpentersam/
        MY ARTWORK -- ALL SIGNATURES BY HERMIIOD

Comment

Ofcourse, it depends on what the IOA decides

With the SGC, the IOA doesnt have incredibly much power over them, due to it being a military operation. However, Atlantis is a civilian expedition, and thus under direct control of the IOA.

Comment

Originally posted by ckwongau View Post
            Now we have some new rule, A pegasus gate can supercede any milkyway gate , the milkyway gate can not even dial out if the Pegasus gate is in the near area.
            Do we know this 100%? I thought it was just because the wraith were dialing out to keep The Earth Gate Occupied.

Comment

All they have to do to return the SGC to normal operation is 'bury' the gate. They can just weld that permanent Iris like they did with the 2nd stargate so it can't be used.

Comment

Actually the implication is that not the case of being a Pegasus gate per se but the Pegasus is a newer model stargate.

The reason the Antarctic gate did not supercede the Egypt gate for the fact the Egypt gate is newer than the Antarctic gate in terms of age.

Newer younger gates take precedence perhaps as a standard safety feature.

Which makes sense. If your old stargate is going wonky better replace it with a newer unit.

Comment

I have to say I found this insipid and short sighted piece of technobabble rather annoying from the writers. - There is no good reason to suddenly create this idea that Pegasus gates can automatically overide Milky Way ones. (Which form what I recall, is what McKay and Zelenka say).
                  If it were the case, Colonel Carter would have advised General Landry to instal an upgraded Pegasus gate at the SGC a long time ago. Hopefully this idea will be forgotten about. In many practical ways, the Milky Way gate system is far better than the Pegasus one.

As for Atlantis staying on Earth? Tricky. From an SG1 movie standpoint, I can't see it happening. It would be highly impractical to try to continue both SG1 and Atlantis movies with Atlantis on Earth. - Not to mention that all of Atlantis's key story and plot arcs are in the Pegaus Galaxy - The Athosians, further unexplored planets, and of course the threat of the Wraith, which is still present there. Atlantis should have focused on the IOA stuff as well to give a clearer idea of Earth politics, but that never happened. Whether the city stays or goes back, its going to take an incredible explanation by the writers for choosing either option.

Re the IOA - the IOA holds the purse strings and authority over both the SGC and Atlantis. General Landry answers to the IOA as much as to President Hayes and the Pentagon, because the IOA controls the SGC budget.

Who knows? Perhaps the idea of Atlantis on Earth has been shoehorned in to accomodate the introduction of Universe? I can't really see that either though. - I say that, because the whole "experimental wormhole drive" that Zelenka was on about came completely out of nowhere, except to scream "PLOT DEVICE!"
                  Last edited by Thunderbird 2; 10 January 2009, 06:22 AM.
                  Converting a human body into energy and sending it millions of light years through a wormhole. Bloody insanity!
                  Come on, how often do you get the chance to go to an alien planet?

I was a'ready on an alien planet!

- Poisoning the Well, Atlantis Season 1.

Comment

Well there is a mission Odyssey went that is so super secret even Cadwell doesn't know.

Also the Hammond is in the works.

So I can see while the events of EatG is happening Mitchell, Daniel, Vala and Teal'c will be in trouble.

Which the Hammond has to be rushed like the Phoenix did but this time probably powered by a ZPM. Carter coming to their rescue.

Counting that the Chair's ZPM survived the kamikaze run.

Comment

Very well might have to be, since the Wraith destroyed the Antarctica Ancient Chair that was moved to Area 51.

I can definitely see TPTB using or referencing Atlantis being on Earth in the next SG1 movie.....and might even be a plot point for the SGA movie as well.

Comment

As Earth is now defenceless it makes sense to keep Atlantis on earth strategically, as not only with the Atlantis Chair, but with the vast amount of gate ships (puddle jumpers) it has on board, makes it a very valuable defensive asset. In addition, this represents an ideal time to move Stargate operations out of a US military controlled installation and into a facility that is governed entirely by an international body, which whilst won't make everyone pally and happy, will still be a step in the right direction.

If requried, operations in the Pegasus Galaxy can still be carried out through the installation of a Delta Site style base on one of the former Atlantis planets and a new gatebridge can easily be set up.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by darkthunder84 View Post
                          Afaik, only Pegasus-gates can connect to Pegasus-gates, and likewise only Milkyway-gates can connect to Milkyway-gates. They needed to create a workaround to get the Milky Way and Pegasus gates to work properly at the Midway station.

Also, it was only after Rodney's recalibration of the Wraith ships DHD, that they were able to connect a Pegasus-gate to the Alpha Site's Milkyway-gate. And if its been recalibrated, its back to functioning as any default Milkyway-gate again
                          Then how could the Atlantis team escape? And how could we, from Earth, dial Atlantis, and how could Atlantis dial Earth?

The work around, as Rodney described in this last episode, was so the PG Gate wouldn't take dominant over the Milky Way gate, not so it could dial a milky way gate. Also, there would have to be some calculation, but since it only took five minutes for Rodney to make the Wraith gate dial the Alpha site...then it wouldn't matter too much, would it?

The bigger question is...will Atlantis go back to the PG?

Comment

The comings and goings would be harder to mask in Atlantis than in Cheyenne Mountain.

You'd have to have a cloaked puddle jumper or submarine take people in and out of Atlantis.

Cheyenne Mountain, by contrast, is in an area that already has nearby military bases and lots of CHEAP military housing and buses going around already. People don't blink an eye about the military going in and out of the Mountain.

"I have darkness inside of me!" - SpongeBob Squarepants

Comment

One way I see it is if Atlantis transporters were somehow made adaptable with Asgard transporters.

Unless they work on two different principles that Atlantis transporters works like Rings.

Comment

Working...
                              X