One slight problem...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One slight problem...

I can't help but wonder, what's gonna happen when it's time to return to the Pegasus Galaxy?
    The cloak is okay when the city is just sitting there doing nothing in the harbor. But people will definitely notice when it goes to lift off.

Thoughts?
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Tugboats and Nighttime.

Comment

Originally posted by TheoryCraft View Post
      I can't help but wonder, what's gonna happen when it's time to return to the Pegasus Galaxy?
      The cloak is okay when the city is just sitting there doing nothing in the harbor. But people will definitely notice when it goes to lift off.

Thoughts?
      Does the cloak also cloak the noises the machines & stuff will make which would no doubt be very loud ?

Comment

That is definetly going to be a problem. Sure, the city can stay cloaked as long as it's stationary. But it's going to make a huge amount of noise and create a big splash when it takes off. Atlantis needs the sheild when it takes off, so they'll have to uncloak.

Comment

Originally posted by Harkonnen View Post
          Tugboats and Nighttime.
          Or the arc of truth.....

Comment

Eh, all you have to do is have a ****load of naval destroyers playing wargames to mask the sound and splashes.

More to the point, I refuse to beleive Atlantis can't maneuver in water. Sail it down near Antarctica and have it take off there.

Comment

Originally posted by Ranlier View Post
              More to the point, I refuse to beleive Atlantis can't maneuver in water. Sail it down near Antarctica and have it take off there.
              Wouldn't people notice all of that water activity Atlantis would cause even with simple sailing ?

Comment

Originally posted by JackO'Neill View Post
                Wouldn't people notice all of that water activity Atlantis would cause even with simple sailing ?
                Indeed. Something that big is going to make a few waves.

Comment

Originally posted by Alteran of Atlantis View Post
                  Indeed. Something that big is going to make a few waves.
                  Not just one or two waves that stop lots of waves while moving & in one area the waves would stop as more waves in the distance continues as Atlantis moves & all of the other various water movements & water noise. They can not hide Atlantis in any logical way unless Atlantis 100 % stays put

Comment

they could put the city out of phase no noise at all that way. otherwise they could just tow the city with a bunch of naval ships. say its war games and all the ships are going out to sea at once. hide the tow ropes. or simply have atlantais go. behind the ships. and have some ships behind the city.

id be more worried about the city becoming visible via a power failure or some one hit the city. that might ignore the rules. a small ship might go unchecked...

putting the city out of phase might be the only soultion of corse the attack on area 51 may have destryed this tech.

Comment

Why would it have to take off from its current location? There's no reason the city couldn't be moved miles out to sea before taking off.

Based on the projected splash down point on the map, which was in the middle of the Pacific, the city moved thousands of miles after reaching the ocean just fine.
                      I'm not an actor. I just play one on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by Alteran of Atlantis View Post
                        That is definetly going to be a problem. Sure, the city can stay cloaked as long as it's stationary. But it's going to make a huge amount of noise and create a big splash when it takes off. Atlantis needs the sheild when it takes off, so they'll have to uncloak.
                        Something has always bothered me about that. If the city is cloaked, and is sitting in water, wouldn't it displace the water anyway? The cloak doesn't create an illusion; it seems to bend light around the surface of the field.

Why wouldn't anyone see a great big McLarge Huge size hole in the ocean, even if the city were cloaked?

Interestingly, it's an intriguing question.
                        Can ye tell me why th' pirate jokes are so funny?

Because they Arrrrrrr.

Comment

Originally posted by Occulus View Post
                          Something has always bothered me about that. If the city is cloaked, and is sitting in water, wouldn't it displace the water anyway? The cloak doesn't create an illusion; it seems to bend light around the surface of the field.

Why wouldn't anyone see a great big McLarge Huge size hole in the ocean, even if the city were cloaked?

Interestingly, it's an intriguing question.
                          It's answered in The Siege Part 3, some sort of emulation or something...

Comment

Atlantis being parked in the bay can time the departure when Fleet Week comes around, have more than the usual number of Blue Angles whizz over at sound barrier breaking speed, then, to cover up the spot of water vortex when Atlantis takes off, have those water boats run up and down the bay shooting those beautiful water jets welcoming the entry of a naval battle group parading in.

Comment

Yeah that is a problem... Weren't the ZPM's dying out too, that's why the shields were failing? How are they gonna fly home with dead ZPMs?

Comment

Working...
                              X