Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I've watched too much Stargate, plothole?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've watched too much Stargate, plothole?

I've seen every episode of both SG1 and SGA, and to my knowledge you can't use a Pegasus DHD to dial just any planet in the MW such as the Alpha Site. There are no MW constellations on the PG DHD, so how could you dial the Alpha site from the Hive?

I was always willing to suspend the belief that Earth could dial Atlantis and vice versa due to the fact that I assumed the Ancients had arranged it this way, between those two gates only, though.

Maybe I have watched way too much Stargate, but the first thing that popped into my head when Rodney said he was going to dial the Alpha site was "IMPOSSIBLE!"

I don't think they were dialing any gate from the Hive ship.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/carpentersam/
    MY ARTWORK -- ALL SIGNATURES BY HERMIIOD

Comment

I could be wrong, but I think that's why Rodney said he had to reprogram it first. I'm guessing after it was reprogrammed, there was some numerical correspondence between the Pegasus version of each chevron and the Milky Way version of each.
      Sheppard and Mitchell: and you were worried they were going to be O'Neill clones?

Two of my favorite shows are about Jonathan Sheppard, assuming Jack is always short for Jonathan. Weird, huh? (Lost and Atlantis)

Comment

Originally posted by Hermiiod View Post
        No, they didn't. It was explained that since the Pegasus Gate is more advance over the Milky Way gate, it became the "default" gate for Earth resulting in the Milky Way gate basically useless... All outgoing and incoming wormholes work from there.

They explained that they had the very same problem with the Midway station. They Pegasus gate did the same with the Milky Way gate resulting in the scientists to to do multiple things to work around it.

There are no regrets. Thank you Brad Wright and everyone else for SGU,
        and the amazing Stargate franchise in general.

Comment

Originally posted by Hermiiod View Post
          That's how Shepard and his team got off the Hive, they used it's gate to dial the Alpha site. Didn't you see Rodney start dialing the DHD inside the Hive ship?

Originally posted by :ORION CORAN:
          No, they didn't. It was explained that since the Pegasus Gate is more advance over the Milky Way gate, it became the "default" gate for Earth resulting in the Milky Way gate basically useless... All outgoing and incoming wormholes work from there.

They explained that they had the very same problem with the Midway station. They Pegasus gate did the same with the Milky Way gate resulting in the scientists to to do multiple things to work around it.
          That wasn't what I was referring to.

Originally posted by JakeDuexPointZero
          I could be wrong, but I think that's why Rodney said he had to reprogram it first. I'm guessing after it was reprogrammed, there was some numerical correspondence between the Pegasus version of each chevron and the Milky Way version of each.
          I thought when they said he was reprogramming it, it was due to stellar drift, like a correlative update that a DHD needs every so often. I guess if I suspended my believe even more, I could bring myself to believe that every MW DHD has constellations in the same place and by essentially updating it, they could dial the Alpha site by pressing the corresponding buttons in regard to location on the DHD rather than what constellation were actually on them.

Comment

Although it worked out and served as a nice little plot twist, it felt waaay too retconned with Midway and all that. Why do Pegasus 'Gates have priority? Are they the most advanced? Because Ancients had to ensure superiority of Atlantis's 'Gate over...something...?...?
            When the time comes to utilize Earth's best weaponry against an ailen threat. The weapon that will ultimately prove to be Earth's best will be the Zatnikitel
            Zatnikitelman

Comment

atlantis was dialing with a pegasus gate..and the pegasus gate on the hive had a dhd so thats might be why it got priority
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Zatnikitelman View Post
                Although it worked out and served as a nice little plot twist, it felt waaay too retconned with Midway and all that. Why do Pegasus 'Gates have priority? Are they the most advanced? Because Ancients had to ensure superiority of Atlantis's 'Gate over...something...?...?
                The Pegasus Stargates are newer and more advanced. So they take proirity over the older Milky Way Stargates.

Comment

In regard to a pegasus DHD dialling a milky way gate, I found this quote in a transcript. McKay: "Five minutes to get there, five minutes to recalibrate the DHD for local coordinates." Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by songar87 View Post
                    In regard to a pegasus DHD dialling a milky way gate, I found this quote in a transcript. McKay: "Five minutes to get there, five minutes to recalibrate the DHD for local coordinates." Hope this helps.
                    Local coordinates as in coordinates to re-calibrate for stellar drift doesn't account for the fact that there are no MW constellations on the DHD. It's like having a keyboard that you can't read so you can't type a message.

I get it, though. I'm not going to nit pick over it. Sometimes you have to take a show at face value.

Comment

What really happened...

Writer 1* Ok listen up you losers we got 43... thats right 43 minutes to do a story that should be 2 or 3 episodes long. Start hitting me up...

Babylon fan Writer* Two words; Wormhole Drive!

Writer 1* Wormhole to the extreme, I'm liking it... Bob what you got?

Bob* Get this we kill Jack's chair. Yeah will piss off fans of the original but its not like they watch this show.

Writer 1* Perfect, Writer 2 what ya got?

Writer 2* Only got 43 can't show all the space battles, but make up a couple of new ships and send them after the Super Duper ZPM Hardened Miracle Grow Hive Ship (SDZHMG Hive). Of course they can't kill it you can't kill off Ellis, so will have a plot hole where the wraith leave 3 enemies intact. Can't waste resources right...

Writer 1* Excellent, now how do we solve the gate problem?

*people mull over for a few seconds and then obscure writer guy whose never seen episode raises his hand*

OWG* Obviously everyone knows pegasus gates are more advanced...

Writer 1* Great work Obscure Writer Guy whose never seen an episode, that should be a wrap anything else will ad lib technobable on the spot.

Feel free to do your own impresions on how they came up with this episode...

Comment

GRRRRRR Why do you people insist the symbols have to be local constellations!!?? All the buttons are is some sort of numerical coordinate system that tells the 'Gate where to connect to. It doesn't matter what's on them. I could rip the plastic keys off the keyboard I'm using now, rearrange them, and they'd still type whatever the specific button was coded for!
                        When the time comes to utilize Earth's best weaponry against an ailen threat. The weapon that will ultimately prove to be Earth's best will be the Zatnikitel
                        Zatnikitelman

Comment

[QUOTEI could rip the plastic keys off the keyboard I'm using now, rearrange them, and they'd still type whatever the specific button was coded for![/QUOTE]

Actually, from the quote I found in the transcript, it seems to me that what McKay did is sort of the opposite; the 'keys' still look the same but the corresponding constellation has been changed.

Comment

I took pics of the DHD when McKay dials the alpha site from the wraith ship, the first one is the first time you see him dialing, the 2nd one is right before it cuts away, and the last one is when he is finished

So if anyone has seen the DHD while SG-1 dialed the alpha site, or knows the symbols for dialing the alpha site from a MW gate you could compare them to this and try to see how they match up (if they even match up at all)

Welcome to the forum !
                            I've snipped out the IMG tags as the caps are great,but they're way too wide,and stretch the forum .Reduce the size next time ,please .Check out the Rules and Faq for more info .

*Cough* I only took out the image tags,but the links don't work now.Did you upload them direct from a site ?

EDIT: Yeah, sorry about that, they were supposed to resize on their own, i fixed it
                            Last edited by Pat1487; 10 January 2009, 02:21 AM. Reason: Pics too wide/snipped tags/put size warning on

Comment

Originally posted by JakeDeuxPointZero View Post
                              Originally posted by Zatnikitelman View Post
                              GRRRRRR Why do you people insist the symbols have to be local constellations!!?? All the buttons are is some sort of numerical coordinate system that tells the 'Gate where to connect to. It doesn't matter what's on them. I could rip the plastic keys off the keyboard I'm using now, rearrange them, and they'd still type whatever the specific button was coded for!

Actually, from the quote I found in the transcript, it seems to me that what McKay did is sort of the opposite; the 'keys' still look the same but the corresponding constellation has been changed.
                              These 4 posts are the answer
                              || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

Working...
                              X