This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Earth jr. planets

Do you think TPTB should spend more on set and costume design? I label planets as Earth jr. if they seem too much like early 20th century earth down to suits and ties and architecture.

Any episode with Langarans/Kewlonans (Jonas Quinn sounds real alien )
    The Cure (the CG views of the city could have been more alien if TPTB was more imaginative)
    Memento
    Icon (yellow pencils!)
    Poisoning the Well
    Past and Present
    Any episode with Genii

There seems to be a pattern in clothing.
    Pre-industrial: rags or colorful costumes
    Earth jr: suits, military uniforms
    Advanced: Nehru jacket (like the Aschen)

Originally posted by Unas
    Do you think TPTB should spend more on set and costume design? I label planets as Earth jr. if they seem too much like early 20th century earth down to suits and ties and architecture.

Any episode with Langarans/Kewlonans (Jonas Quinn sounds real alien )
    The Cure (the CG views of the city could have been more alien if TPTB was more imaginative)
    Memento
    Icon (yellow pencils!)
    Poisoning the Well
    Past and Present
    Any episode with Genii

There seems to be a pattern in clothing.
    Pre-industrial: rags or colorful costumes
    Earth jr: suits, military uniforms
    Advanced: Nehru jacket (like the Aschen)
    I think its just a simple way of saying that everywhere they are humans, they are alike, even if they are developing at different speeds. For the names, i guess Jonas Quinn sounds 'non-alien' or w/e, haha, but i think if they named someone Bob, i think that would be more alien, because i don't hear that name much, unless its a bum of some sort , but only for that specific purpose, which is sad, but yah, i wouldn't name my child Bob, so oh well. I really thought the Tollan world looked fabolous, very high-tech, but very simple (i think it was the tollan???) I don't know, i never really noticed this, because they are humans, i rather look at 'aliens' that aren't human's clothes and culture.
    Amanda, "Wallow Central."

Comment

No, I think the costume and set design makes perfect sense. Sure, I like eye candy as much as the next guy, but their sets and costumes are really top notch.

As for your comments about all human civilizations basically looking the same at certain points in their development, I'd agree. It's not a bad thing though, it's consistent.
      Think about it, unless you have the knowledge and technology to create, your civilization is pretty much limited like ours is.
      Take skyscrapers for example: Until the 19th century, you would rarely see a building over 6 stories high. Then people figured out how to make steel, and now you see lots of buildings over 100 stories.

According to the series, we all supposedly came from the same source; it makes sense that we'd all follow similar behaviors and customs, which include fashion and architecture.
      Jarnin's Law of StarGate:

1. As a StarGate discussion grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the Furlings approaches one.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarnin
        According to the series, we all supposedly came from the same source; it makes sense that we'd all follow similar behaviors and customs, which include fashion and architecture.
        I would believe it if these societies split from earth only 150 years ago, not thousands. Thats like saying English is the final product in linguistic evolution. All languages will evolve into English due to its superiority.

BTW, Bob is a nickname for Robert.

Comment

Working...
        X