Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ashley Magnus /Emilie Ullerup Open Discussion Spoilers ahoy for S1 and 2 !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ashley Magnus /Emilie Ullerup Open Discussion Spoilers ahoy for S1 and 2 !

I am not trying to bash her or anything, but I am just not feeling it with her. I don't think she is right for the part. It seems forced. I don't really know what I am talking about, but something about her just seems 'off' to me...

"Yes Rodney, I shot you, and I said I was sorry!" ~Sheppard
    (one of my favourite lines)

The actress or the character? I will admit I like both, but I'm interested to hear your side to this.

Oh, and you may wish to add "Discussion" to the title. Just so we have one for this character so people will know what the thread is about.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lacka1986 View Post
      I am not trying to bash her or anything, but I am just not feeling it with her. I don't think she is right for the part. It seems forced. I don't really know what I am talking about, but something about her just seems 'off' to me...
      I agree. I can't pinpoint what it is about her either, but I noticed from the first episode. I've tried liking her character/acting, but with no success.

Comment

I don't think she's bad, I think she just needs fleshing out a bit to become more than the gung ho 2 dimentional action chick.

Don't like the hair cut though.
        sigpic

Comment

Hey guys. I've changed the title for you .

Discuss away ,but remember to criticise the portrayal,not the actress herself .

Have fun,and tag any spoilery stuff ,especially the finale .

Baggie
          The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

Originally posted by Mousie View Post
            I don't think she's bad, I think she just needs fleshing out a bit to become more than the gung ho 2 dimentional action chick.
            Well, to be fair, after only 13 episodes, all the characters would benefit from some more development. But even with that in mind, I don't see her as only the gung-ho action chick. Nor do I see her as two-dimensional.

I think we've seen multiple facets of this character already. Yes, she's the reckless and seemingly trigger-happy "biker" chick, but she's also capable of compassion and understanding. There's more to her than a single-minded love for the thrill of the hunt, and I'm glad TPTB have chosen to depict such a strong female character as also being capable of both having and expressing emotion.

Don't like the hair cut though.
            Not that we can agree on. They need to do something about that before her bangs eat her face.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pandora's_Box View Post
              The actress or the character? I will admit I like both, but I'm interested to hear your side to this.
              I don't know much about the actor. But I am not much impressed with her acting in "Sanctuary" I haven't seen her in anything else. I think they could've found an actress better suited for this part. Emilie may be a fantastic actress if presented with a different role...

And don't get me started on the hair! I thought it was a wig for a while!

Comment

I guess it could depend on how you see the character. I learned a lot from "Instinct," for example -- you'll notice how much Emilie calmed Ashley down and made her have some real cute chemistry with the camera guy. To me, that left an impression that Emilie is playing Ashley a certain way -- repressed, totally focused on her work, and trying to pretend that life hasn't kicked her in the teeth a few times.

Ashley as a character is probably more complicated than any of us realize yet. If you consider the immense characterization that has transpired from episode 7 onwards, you'll agree that all the characters have immense depth and the writers really know what they are doing. (Tesla, John Druitt, Watson, even Helen -- we have learned things about all of them, plus Henry.) I think they have been laying the groundwork all season for where her character landed -- all the little comments about being like her dad, etc. Good stuff.

Comment

Well the ending of Revelations II made me love her character even more. Such a twist I didn't see coming until the last minute
                  Originally posted by aretood2
                  Jelgate is right

Comment

I think the actress has a bit of growing to do, but ultimately has potential. In my opinion, it's clear that she's giving 100% -- she just needs some more time to hone her skills a bit.

I'm not sure if it was a network or production choice, or what, but Ashley/EU seemed to be marginalized early on and throughout the middle of the season. There were more Helen/Will moments than anything else, and also more Helen/Druitt. Personally, I'd like more interaction between Helen and Ashley, and I'd like there to be more depth. But I was kind of surprised to see that they shied away from a whole lot of Helen/Ashley, for whatever reason. To me, that appeared as a more superficial relationship than even Helen's relationship with Henry.

Hopefully making Ashley bad and bringing this brunette woman in isn't an attempt to sideline the character further. Also, maybe the next season will give the actress an opportunity to improve.

Comment

I don't know much about the actor. But I am not much impressed with her acting in "Sanctuary" I haven't seen her in anything else. I think they could've found an actress better suited for this part. Emilie may be a fantastic actress if presented with a different role...

And don't get me started on the hair! I thought it was a wig for a while!

She was in Jpod. i thought she was great in that.

I like her. To me i don't think there really has been enough screen time for her character to have a development. Except for the Final.

I also think that becuase she is so trigger-happy, thrill of the hunt stuff is becuase she know's no different. We know nothing of her background was she homeschooled, did university , whatever. i think those things matter in shaping a character. to me all she has known is hunting abnormals and thats what she does.

i would like to know more about her tho. Hopefully in season two we can find out some more. But for the moment I think Emilie is doing a great job and giving all she's got
                      Thanks to Nad for my awesome sig!
                      Proud member of the SSHSOP, S.H.I.P and MOP!

Comment

Finally saw the finale! It's possible that the coming season may change my opinion about Ashley.... But as I said, I never had an issue with Emilie! I simply am not feeling Ashley, whether it's because of how she is written or how she is played, I can't be sure. But I think it's safe to say that there will definitely be more character development in the next season....

Spoiler:
                        I personally think she is going to inherit her father's problem (Turning darkside without being able to control it) I mean obviously the powers of the five can be passed on, maybe the negative side effects do as well...

Comment

Spoiler:
                          i personally think she is going to inherit her father's problem (turning darkside without being able to control it) i mean obviously the powers of the five can be passed on, maybe the negative side effects do as well...
                          this
                          Can ye tell me why th' pirate jokes are so funny?

Because they Arrrrrrr.

Comment

I kinda agree with what some people are saying. i just dont think the character has had enough growth and i know some has said that they dont think the charcter is 2D, but she dose come across as the left me shot somthin kinda girl. but heres hoping that things change in season 2

Comment

I like the character. The actress is getting better with more scripts directed at her. It seems like many of the episodes in this season didn't have her doing too much. Mostly in the background, adding a few snippets here and there. I really wasn't too keen on the actor who plays Will at the beginning of the season. However, he seems to have a big part in every episode and as such, his acting has improved. Hopefully, the same opportunities will arise for Ashley.

Comment

Working...
                              X