No announcement yet.

Dr Janet Fraiser/Teryl Rothery Thunk/Discussion/Appreciation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

She was proof that dynamite comes in smal packages.

All hail our beloved "Napoleonic Power Monger"!She was the best & is sorely missed.
    nugglebugget

greetings from the "Bluegrass State"where the grass is actually green,just like everywhere else

Comment

Yay! Janet thread! She was such a great character... I miss her!

Hey! I'm like the same height as her! (Well, almost)
      Why yes, I am aware that I am too sexy for my cat
      RIP Stargate SG-1: The iris may be closed, but the gate will always be spinning, lighting the chevrons in my heart

And to the Sci Fi Channel...

Comment

Originally posted by NightGloom
        Yay! Janet thread! She was such a great character... I miss her!
        So do I. She had spunk and the other doctor's they have brought in haven't been up to par as far as I am concern.

Comment

She was so cool. Like someone said, she had spunk. All the other doctors are bland. They're like stereotypical docs. They do their job and that's it. Janet was kickass.

I really miss her!

We should rename this thread to "We miss Janet, thread"

My favorite parts were the Nirrti scene and the one in Lifeboat "I intend to take it back". She was awsome!

I miss Janet more than I ever missed Daniel.

I want her back ;_; *sob*
          May our transmatter beams cross again...

Proud Member of the Chevron Guy Club

"Out of that sea of stars came all the elements that make me what I am. "

Comment

I don't see why they can't bring her back in some kind of AU episode. Maybe in season 9? *crosses fingers*

Spoiler space (just in case)

I understand why they killed her off, but I didn't like the way they went about the episode.
            RIP Stargate SG-1: The iris may be closed, but the gate will always be spinning, lighting the chevrons in my heart

Comment

I really liked Heroes, Part 2. It's my favourite episode, but I miss Janet too. She was a great character. The problem with the new doctors are the fact that they change every episode.

Comment

Originally posted by michelleb
                I hated Dr Brightman (She called him 'Daniel'!! How dare she call him Daniel!! She barely knows him!!! Plus I think she was a robot).
                A Robot! That's a good one. I agree that it was disconcerting for her to call him Daniel--we'd never heard of her before & were given no indication that she knew him from before either. Janet never presumed so much on a first meeting.

Comment

Originally posted by jckfan55
                  A Robot! That's a good one. I agree that it was disconcerting for her to call him Daniel--we'd never heard of her before & were given no indication that she knew him from before either. Janet never presumed so much on a first meeting.
                  Who else would have insisted on calling Teal'c "Mr. Teal'c"?

I don't like any of the new doctors either. I think they just lost a little something called a personality.

Comment

I thought I'd dredge up this thread (which I just found) to post some biographical information that might be of interest to those who posted here.
                    For those that don't know, there is a brief bio about Janet that was created by Teryl Rothery herself. It's not an indepth analysis or anything, but it should interest Fraiser fans.
                    A fan's summary of it can be found at http://rothery.stargate-sg1.hu/starg...netfraiser.php

Some interesting facts from the summary:
                    Her full name is Janet Elizabeth
                    She was married for three years
                    She is the oldest of 3 children
                    She has two brothers: Scott Jameson & Jeffrey Sutton
                    Her father Jameson Franklin Fraiser, is a retired Army officer
                    Her mother, Marjorie Kathryn Fraiser, is a homemaker.

I stole.... uh quoted the whole text of the summary:

JANET'S FAMILY | Written by Teryl Rothery for the SG-1 Companion

In "Stargate SG-1: The Illustrated Companion Seasons 1 & 2", Teryl wrote her take on Janet & her family. This she created on her own to make the character more real for her.

Basically, she is the oldest of 3 children, she & 2 brothers. Teryl picked the names Scott Jameson & Jeffrey Sutton. Her full name is Janet Elizabeth. Her father, Jameson Franklin Fraiser, is a retired Army(!) officer & her mother, Marjorie Kathryn Fraiser, is a homemaker.

Majorie, who everyone (except the kids) call Kate) is warm & fun-loving. Janet has this too but is also very self-contained like her father.

Janet has always felt like she has to prove herself to her father (who Teryl also sees as a bit of a chauvinist - Jack O'Neill?). This was why she entered the Air Force, went through medical school, & specialized in exotic diseases. (Teryl says he is proud of his daughter but can't express it so Janet keeps pushing herself.)

The best thing that happened to her is Cassandra (presuming we discount Sam...). Or possibly the 2nd best as Teryl sees Janet's divorce as one of the best things she could've done. She was married for three years to a pompus chauvinist. ("Three very long years!!" to quote Teryl.)

Cassandra has let her open herself up and may even be the first time Janet has given herself permission to love.

Have a great weekend, everyone.

Many THX to John O'Connor for submitting this article
                    ========================

It's worth pointing out that the summary is on just one page of http://rothery.stargate-sg1.hu which is probably the best Teryl Rothery fansite currently in existence. Tons of information, screencaps and other goodies.

Comment

I never really appreciated the role of Fraser until she was gone and the idiot brigade came riding in. I also now notice Teryl Rothery in different shows now; usually scifi based.

"We'll keep the light on for you."

Comment

I loved the way Janet would advance the comic movement of the story with just a look. She was so good at that.

Some of my favorite scenes are:

When Carter is arguing with Urgo in the hall and Janet trys to ask Urgo to leave Sam alone, Urgo make a rude comment which we don't hear. Carter says: "Urgo that is rude!" Janet gets this indignant look on her face and says, "What did he say?!"

Also in Urgo, they're all in the briefing room and both Janet and Hammond are sitting down at the end of the table with these confused, slightly horrified looks on their faces and it is hysterical.

I miss Janet.
                        "You cannot reason with your own heart;
                        it has it's own laws and beats about things
                        which the intellect scorns."
                        - Mark Twain -

Comment

Wow, no wonder TR was able to make Janet come alive what with creating that backstory for her.

I think it was a mistake to get rid of her. Dr. Brightman is duller than dishwater, although I did like the male doctor they had briefly. But, they need another female. And, Janet was a strong woman who had a personality in her own right. Meaning she was different enough from Sam to have another type of woman represented, and took up enough screen time to really get to know her.

I liked her in Serpent's Song, with her attitude being in opposition to everyone. And, Lifeboat. "You don't belong in that man's body, and I intend to take it back!" Well, you go girl
                          I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

I also loved the way Janet pulled on a gun on Nirti. There was cold steel in her eyes that as a mother I completely recognized and identifed with. It's a good thing Nirti decided to talk because somebody was going to die that night!
                            "You cannot reason with your own heart;
                            it has it's own laws and beats about things
                            which the intellect scorns."
                            - Mark Twain -

Comment

Where I live we haven't had Hero's yet so I'm savoring every last Janet moment. I think I'm realy going to mis her when the time comes

JANICE: Dr. Bob, you've given this hospital a bad name.
                              DR BOB: You're right. Fred is a terrible name for a hospital. I'll give it a better name. How 'bout Eunice?

Comment

I happen to think Heroes did Janet a disservice. I'll put it in spoilers.
                                Spoiler:
                                Aside from the fact that I don't think killing off Janet was necessary or even a good idea, I think it was done badly. Janet wasn't just some unknown person. We had gotten to know and care about her. An episode where she died should have been a tribute to her. It should have been about her. Instead, they decided to do a "fooled you!" by making it seem like Jack died for a large part of the episode. And, what was the point of that? Well, I have my theories, but I'll refrain from bringing that up. But, what were they hoping the audience reaction would be when they found out it wasn't Jack? Relief that it was only Janet? One of the things I found fitting was Daniel's grief.
                                I'm a girl! A girly girly girl!

Okay, you got me. I can't accept change. This message may look like it was typed on a computer and posted on the internet, but it is actually cave drawings delivered by smoke signals.

Naquada Enhanced Chastity Belts -SG1 edition. On sale now! Heck, I'll give them away

Daniel Jackson Appreciation and Discussion -because he's more than pretty

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=89

Daniel Jackson: The Beacon of Hope and The Man Who Opened the Stargate

Comment

Working...
                                X