Season 4.0 set OR Universal thinks we're all suckers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Season 4.0 set OR Universal thinks we're all suckers

I hated the season 2 releases. Absolutely despised them. I thought that splitting the releases into two halves was a shameless cash grab that deserved to be punished by nothing short of a boycott. I waited, and waited and waited and waited for a complete season 2 release--which never came, so my principles took a backseat to my need to continue rewatching the show; and I bought 2.0 and 2.5.

Fast forward two and a half years. We've been 'blessed' with a complete season 3 release in (seeming) atonement for the season 2 debacle, and even got a snazzy release for Razor the day after it aired on TV. Wow, Universal's really pulled their socks up and made us happy for a change.

Not so fast. Along comes the announcement of the season 4 DVD release--or rather, the 4.0 release. That's right: a colossal "frak you" from Universal to the show's dedicated fanbase; "that's right, we're gonna do it again and you're going to buy it anyway!"

But wait, they're not quite done screwing us just yet. Not only are they making us pay full price for half seasons again, but guess what suckers: you already bought 'Razor', but we're going to include it on this release for free too! Suckers!

Man all that made me mad. And then I stopped to pick up 4.0 on my way home from work today, and we entered a whole new stratosphere: the disc with 'Razor' on it is exactly the same as the ones sold separately. Exactly. Same lousy blue/green art, IDENTICAL; and the succeeding discs are labeled, with their own unique season art, discs 2-4. That's right--"Disc 1" is the 'Razor' disc that's identical to the one we've already bought and the actual season doesn't have a "Disc 1".

If I didn't want to see season 4 on DVD so badly, I'd return the set in complete disgust.

/end rant
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Yes, I got my Season 4 from Amazon today. I never actually read what was going to be included in the set, so I was shocked that disc 1 is Razor. Hello, I already spent $25 on that when it was released. Wish I had that money back!

Comment

The half-season sets cost less than the full-season ones though? It is pretty cheeky to be honest especially with the Razor thing. Razor is S4E1 I suppose but still. It might be worth getting in touch and putting your point across that it's not on. They'll probably appease you with 4.5 for free or something, you never know.
      Mongoletsi is bigger than hip...hop...

Comment

I don't see why they said Season 4.0 or 4.5. The time they took between Seasons they may have just titled them individually Season 4 and 5. I mean The first season of galactica really only had 13 episodes anyway.

FOGHORN FILMS PRESENTS...

To watch Darkness, a non stargate related short film
        from the creators of The Bringer of War, Please Click here

Click here to join the Official "Bringer of War" MySpace

Comment

Originally posted by MmmmMcKAy View Post
          Yes, I got my Season 4 from Amazon today. I never actually read what was going to be included in the set, so I was shocked that disc 1 is Razor. Hello, I already spent $25 on that when it was released. Wish I had that money back!
          Yup. I paid $25 for Razor as well. (it seems to universally be going for $12 now as the individual disc) I already knew Razor would be on the set, so I was expecting them to use that as an excuse to jack the price up to $49.99 rather than the usual $39.99. Honestly, it was a five dollar difference to buy this set from the complete season three set.

However I am very happy with mine, I got this version, which is EXACTLY how I said they should have done the cover months ago (instead of Lee gazing at Starbuck's chest):

Originally posted by Mongoletsi View Post
          The half-season sets cost less than the full-season ones though? It is pretty cheeky to be honest especially with the Razor thing. Razor is S4E1 I suppose but still. It might be worth getting in touch and putting your point across that it's not on. They'll probably appease you with 4.5 for free or something, you never know.
          Only $5 less.

Comment

I bought 4.0 today at target for only 29.99. it was sale from 39.99!
            sigpic
            Sig Created by Lovley Lahela!

Comment

They Fraking put Razor in the set? Didn't they sell enough to know we all already went out and bought the damn movie already? Though I waited until it went down in price
              Orphan Black: Join the Clone Club Dance Party!

Comment

i think i'll just wait for the illegal versions to popup on the web lol

Comment

Originally posted by daniel9 View Post
                  i think i'll just wait for the illegal versions to popup on the web lol
                  Fair enough really. How can they charge $40ish for half a season? A full season of 24 costs that (which means 2.4 times the episodes )

Talking of downloading BSG, this is super-intersting: http://www.mindjack.com/feature/piracy051305.html
                  Mongoletsi is bigger than hip...hop...

Comment

I will never understand the idea that studios have that taking a show that makes them a sht tonne of money and basically cheeping out on it to make that money is a good diea. If they let BSG run for another season, gave it a decent go at airing times (Ie not having such a stupid gap between seasons and in the middle of a season) and made the DVD sets actually worth the buy, then maybe they'd make a lot more money.

THey don't think about this sort of thing, the days of "Spending money to make money" are gone. People jsut want to grab for cash with as little expense as possible now. All taht said, I wasn't able to have enough money to buy any of the seasons until mid this year, but rather then actualy spending money on them i'm going to instead wait for a full box of all of BSG rather then get individual seasons. And hope to god that it turns out half decent.

Comment

Originally posted by Mongoletsi View Post
                      Fair enough really. How can they charge $40ish for half a season? A full season of 24 costs that (which means 2.4 times the episodes )

Talking of downloading BSG, this is super-intersting: http://www.mindjack.com/feature/piracy051305.html
                      That is a brilliant piece from 2005- have you seen the presentation in Australia of it? It's an hour long and absolutely fascinating- definitely worth finding, though unfortunately I can't remember where I saw it. I know it wasn't youtube

Originally posted by Esquin View Post
                      I will never understand the idea that studios have that taking a show that makes them a sht tonne of money and basically cheeping out on it to make that money is a good diea. If they let BSG run for another season, gave it a decent go at airing times (Ie not having such a stupid gap between seasons and in the middle of a season) and made the DVD sets actually worth the buy, then maybe they'd make a lot more money.

THey don't think about this sort of thing, the days of "Spending money to make money" are gone. People jsut want to grab for cash with as little expense as possible now. All taht said, I wasn't able to have enough money to buy any of the seasons until mid this year, but rather then actualy spending money on them i'm going to instead wait for a full box of all of BSG rather then get individual seasons. And hope to god that it turns out half decent.
                      I hope they fix the awful menu art and make the packaging consistant. I'm astonished at how such a wonderful show can get such crappy DVD packaging. Not to mention it pisses me off that they don't include scene selection on the BSG DVDs.

Comment

What annoys me even more than lack of scene selection is that they feel the need to include the "previously on" in pretty much every single episode. Hello: that's for casual TV viewers, not fans who care enough to buy the show. If they must put it on the disc, make it a "featurette" selectable from the episode menu like HBO does for all its award-winning series and roundly-acclaimed TV sets.
                        "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                          What annoys me even more than lack of scene selection is that they feel the need to include the "previously on" in pretty much every single episode. Hello: that's for casual TV viewers, not fans who care enough to buy the show. If they must put it on the disc, make it a "featurette" selectable from the episode menu like HBO does for all its award-winning series and roundly-acclaimed TV sets.
                          Really? I actually LIKE the "previously on", even on the DVDs.....it doesn't feel like Battlestar without it, it's part of the anticipation of the episode! And some "fans" really need it. My Dad, for example, who has seen every episode and several twice, had forgotten that Baltar was responsible for the attack on the colonies.

Of course that's not included in the "previously on" anymore, so not too helpful.....

Comment

Well I don't mean to say they should axe it completely... HBO's DVDs (and I'm using them as my example because they're a textbook example of how series DVDs should be done) do it fantastically. Every episode has its own menu with original airdate, writer/director, a TV Guide-esque episode description, scene selection, a selectable "previously on" 'featurette', a "next on" 'featurette' that's the preview of the episode you're about to watch and (of course) the Play Episode button if you're not interested in anything else on the screen.

I dunno, I just think that's the standard to which all others really should be held....

Comment

One thing i realized when i put my s4.0 set in my dvd shelf:
                              S1: Full,
                              S2: 2.0/2.5
                              S3: Full
                              S4: 4.0/4.5!

Also the Side of the DVD cover had Lee on it, any guesses who the S4.5 Side will include? Maybe Starbuck??
                              sigpic
                              Sig Created by Lovley Lahela!

Comment

Working...
                              X