7th chevron?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7th chevron?

i know that the 7th is point of origin, but with only 39 symbols how does that work you could only have 39 points of origin or gates? what am i missing?

There are only 39 symbols per gate.

There are more than 39 symbols throughout the galaxy-probably 100's-1000's

Comment

Since Im horrible at math, I wiki-ed this for you.

Milky Way

A Milky Way stargate has 39 inscribed symbols on the inner ring. When dialing, this inner ring rotates until the dialed symbol is aligned with the seventh chevron, at which point the ring pauses, the seventh chevron moves down and up, and the appropriate chevron in the sequence engages. In the Stargate SG-1 series, an engaged chevron glows red. In the original Stargate film, all of the chevrons use this motion, and none of them glow red.

With 38 symbols, the Stargate Network in the Milky Way has:

(38×37×36×35×34×33) = 1,987,690,320 possible 7-symbol addresses.
      However, not all points in space represented by these addresses have stargates, in fact, there are sufficiently few valid coordinate sets that randomly dialing the stargate is largely futile. If the person dialing does not know the point-of-origin symbol, there are many more possible combinations.

Because the gate on Earth was found without a DHD, the stargate team on Earth developed the technology to interface with the gate in order to power it and dial it by the use of computers. (This is essentially an automated version of 'manual dialing'.) When using a DHD, however, each chevron is activated immediately upon entry of the symbols, without the inner ring spinning. This allows for a much faster dialing process.

Does that help?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stargate_(device)

Se section 5.1 on wiki.

Comment

i dont suppose ther is a simple explanation to wat u just sed.
        Supporter of the "It's Asgard, NOT AsgUard !" campaign.

Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by Darynlxm View Post
          (38×37×36×35×34×33) = 1,987,690,320 possible 7-symbol addresses.
          That's a LOT of potential gate addresses!

Comment

In general terms:
            38 ordinary chevrons on a DHD/gate
            AND 1 special chevron special to each DHD/gate combo-this acts as the 7th chevron. Maybe it is located in the same place on each DHD allowing for quick access

So whenever a team wants to dial back home (from offworld), they dial Earth's six chevrons and find that one special/unique chevron.

exceptions:
            I remember (very vaguely so I could be wrong) that some DHDs have totally different chevrons suggesting that they are the only portal to certain gate "subnetworks". This would mean that there are technically more than just 38 ordinary chevrons

Of course if anyone has ever read my previous posts-I still believe the seventh chevron is a joke because where else would (read: could) you be dialling from but the point of origin. Unless remote dialling between 2 gates from a 3rd gate was possible.
            Then again I should not pretend to understand the full physics since it took the Ancients a while to master it (presumably) while I have only had 12 or so years with out of focus screenshots and flippant descriptions.

Comment

1,987,690,320 possible 7-symbol addresses.

2,000,000,000 to 4,000,000,000 Stars in the Milky Way.

Of course, not all of them have planets orbiting, or M-Class Planets either.

So, there's just enough addresses to cover every single, or up to half the Stars in the Milky Way, if potentially they all had Planets orbiting.

Nice.

Comment

There can be different point of origin symbols..

Earth, Abydos, Gamekeeper planet (tornado) just to name a few

Comment

Originally posted by handya View Post
                  i know that the 7th is point of origin, but with only 39 symbols how does that work you could only have 39 points of origin or gates? what am i missing?
                  Well, I suspect that the point of origin symbol on the 'Gate simply tells it: calculate a path to the destination based on our current location.

Also, in addition to the many unique points of origin, I have the suspicion that many 'Gates might share a point of origin.

Originally posted by The Prophet View Post

So, there's just enough addresses to cover every single, or up to half the Stars in the Milky Way, if potentially they all had Planets orbiting.

Nice.
                  I did a little calculation, and found that if the set of all 'Gate addresses forms a sphere 100,000 light years in diameter, and if all seven-chevron addresses define cubic regions of the same size, then each cubic region should be about 65 light years across.

I know that the galaxy is a disk, not a sphere. However, even using a cylinder 50,000 light years in radius and 10,000 light years in thickness, I still find that each 'Gate address would be about 15.8 light years across. A quick look at Wikipedia shows that, even were Earth at the edge of its 'Gate address, there are quite a few other stars that would share that address (indeed, if Earth is near the center, then all of the stars on that map would share Earth's address).
                  "From East Middle School. Suzumiya Haruhi. I have no interest in ordinary humans. If there are any aliens, time travelers, sliders, or espers here, come join me."
                  - The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya; Best Character Introduction Ever.

"And can we lose the ten thousand year old dead plants?!"
                  - Stargate: Atlantis (1x03) "Hide and Seek"

"Hammerheads do not load/unload units immediately – they must descend to ground level first. Initial experiments involving jump-jetting infantry into the Hammerhead’s cargo compartment met with unfortunate results."
                  - Command&Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath Hammerhead Unit Spotlight

Comment

Originally posted by The Prophet View Post

Nice.
                    Wow thats realy neatand ther will be some that go to moons which compensates for the rareity of class m planets plus the fact some planets will be useful despite being uninhabitable naquada rich ones for example and so probly have stargates.

Also i think the first 38 stargates built probly used standard glyphs for PoOs

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWmw1u2to5M

Currently recruiting new staff

Comment

Originally posted by eps200 View Post
                      Wow thats realy neatand ther will be some that go to moons which compensates for the rareity of class m planets plus the fact some planets will be useful despite being uninhabitable naquada rich ones for example and so probly have stargates.

Also i think the first 38 stargates built probly used standard glyphs for PoOs
                      nice work.

Spoiler:

Comment

Originally posted by Fan-e-Gate View Post
                        In general terms:
                        38 ordinary chevrons on a DHD/gate
                        AND 1 special chevron special to each DHD/gate combo-this acts as the 7th chevron. Maybe it is located in the same place on each DHD allowing for quick access

So whenever a team wants to dial back home (from offworld), they dial Earth's six chevrons and find that one special/unique chevron.

exceptions:
                        I remember (very vaguely so I could be wrong) that some DHDs have totally different chevrons suggesting that they are the only portal to certain gate "subnetworks". This would mean that there are technically more than just 38 ordinary chevrons
                        yeah, I like this answer over the others.
                        Of course if anyone has ever read my previous posts-I still believe the seventh chevron is a joke because where else would (read: could) you be dialling from but the point of origin. Unless remote dialling between 2 gates from a 3rd gate was possible.
                        Then again I should not pretend to understand the full physics since it took the Ancients a while to master it (presumably) while I have only had 12 or so years with out of focus screenshots and flippant descriptions.
                        I guess the point of the point of origin is to tell the gate to dial. That's the I can come up with. And I know that the DHD has a large button in the middle. But hey, there is nothing wrong with redundancy.

And what's with the term M-Class? What is this, Trekkworld.com?
                        By Nolamom
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aretood2 View Post
                          yeah, I like this answer over the others.
                          ok i dont no y.

I guess the point of the point of origin is to tell the gate to dial. That's the I can come up with. And I know that the DHD has a large button in the middle. But hey, there is nothing wrong with redundancy.
                          no there isnt.

Spoiler:

Comment

no there isnt.

sorry about the double post.
                            Last edited by Lord Excalibar; 06 January 2009, 09:37 PM.

Spoiler:

Comment

I wish they would bring back red reputation
                              Visit my Website

Comment

Working...
                              X