PDA

View Full Version : Will cam even be in the 3rd movie

Pages : [1] 2

major davis
January 5th, 2009, 12:30 PM
According to Brad, the 3rd movie will mostly be centered on Jack. Also it was said that chris, amanda, and RDA will be in the movie does that mean beau and Ben will not be in the third movie. We know vala won't. I think it would be wierd to have RDA as the star of the movie and Ben in it because they will be fighting for the lead role. Also TPTB said upcoming movies will not have the whole team in it. ~~~~~(rewind wait a minute, does that mean the Sg-1 we have come to know and love will not be there. Come on its not like the actors are always filming and touring. most of them only do 1-3 projects a year(Except for amanda, who is already on board for both movies) Claudia and ben and RDA have nothing schuduled yet. I mean look and Continum and AOt. They had the whole team and more. Why cant we have that in upcoming movies. If we only had partial team, it would kinda ruin the movie(at least for me). Now what do you guys think

ShardsofGlass
January 5th, 2009, 12:32 PM
At last August's Stargate con in Chicago, I asked Ben if he would be in the 3rd movie. He sort of shrugged his shoulders and said that he'd heard it would be a Jack movie, implying that he wouldn't be in it if it were a Jack movie. Since Brad has confirmed that the movie is a Jack movie, I'm thinking that he won't be in it.

Gatz
January 5th, 2009, 12:34 PM
Well, BR has already confirmed Vala won't be. Since he doesn't say anything about cam, unless he was answering a vala specific question, it is implied cam will.

Jumper_One
January 5th, 2009, 12:38 PM
According to Brad, the 3rd movie will mostly be centered on Jack. Also it was said that chris, amanda, and RDA will be in the movie does that mean beau and Ben will not be in the third movie. We know vala won't. I think it would be wierd to have RDA as the star of the movie and Ben in it because they will be fighting for the lead role. Also TPTB said upcoming movies will not have the whole team in it. ~~~~~(rewind wait a minute, does that mean the Sg-1 we have come to know and love will not be there. Come on its not like the actors are always filming and touring. most of them only do 1-3 projects a year(Except for amanda, who is already on board for both movies) Claudia and ben and RDA have nothing schuduled yet. I mean look and Continum and AOt. They had the whole team and more. Why cant we have that in upcoming movies. If we only had partial team, it would kinda ruin the movie(at least for me). Now what do you guys think

it'd be weird to not have the guy in charge of the flagship team appear in the movie so yes I think he'll be in it

amconway
January 5th, 2009, 12:56 PM
I think who we see in any given movie will depend on the particular story that they want to tell in that movie. Who is featured most prominently will probably change from movie to movie, giving all the actors a shot at it. Cam was featured prominently in Continuum, Jack will feature prominently in the next one, and who knows who will be the most prominent character in the forth (assuming there is one). If the movies continue long enough, we will probably see new team movies, classic team movies, and maybe even character movies (don't everyone get their knickers in a twist-I'm just throwing that out there as a possibility). They will all be stargate movies.

It would be nice if we could accept them as such. If this level of angst is maintained about every single decision that is made, well, someone is going to have a stroke. Even though we all may differ on which seasons were the best, I think most of us can agree that SG-1 has always been exceptionally good. There's no reason to think that will change, no matter what story they want to tell.

Major_Griff
January 5th, 2009, 01:27 PM
I would be shocked if Cam was not in the next movie. The only way they could get away with that is if the story is about Jack at the pentagon, and that would be a pretty lame movie imo. (Maybe an interest episode idea, but not a movie.)

amconway
January 5th, 2009, 01:36 PM
I would be shocked if Cam was not in the next movie. The only way they could get away with that is if the story is about Jack at the pentagon, and that would be a pretty lame movie imo. (Maybe an interest episode idea, but not a movie.)

I would miss Cam, too. I'm very fond of him, but it really depends on the story. If the movie were to start with the members of the first team getting together as friends and something occurred, it would be perfectly logical and would be no slight to the character of Cam. (just the first notion off the top of my head) These folks have an eight year history together that doesn't include him. Not that we have any idea if he'll be there, or what the plot might be. I'm just saying, there are many stories to be told, and telling one that doesn't include one of the characters doesn't mean that the next one won't.

SG1Commander
January 5th, 2009, 01:37 PM
According to Brad, the 3rd movie will mostly be centered on Jack. Also it was said that chris, amanda, and RDA will be in the movie does that mean beau and Ben will not be in the third movie.

What about Michael? If you have O'Neill, you have to have Daniel. With Beau, I don't see why he wouldn't be in the movie, seeing as he's the commander of the SGC.

Major_Griff
January 5th, 2009, 01:40 PM
I would miss Cam, too. I'm very fond of him, but it really depends on the story. If the movie were to start with the members of the first team getting together as friends and something occurred, it would be perfectly logical and would be no slight to the character of Cam. (just the first notion off the top of my head) These folks have an eight year history together that doesn't include him. Not that we have any idea if he'll be there, or what the plot might be. I'm just saying, there are many stories to be told, and telling one that doesn't include one of the characters doesn't mean that the next one won't.

Good points. I was assuming the film would take place mostly off world. If that was the case why would SG-1 be with out Mitchell? But something like you mentioned could work, but I feel like as a viewer I would feel Cam's absence more so than Vala's since he is the leader of SG-1.

amconway
January 5th, 2009, 02:08 PM
What about Michael? If you have O'Neill, you have to have Daniel.

I'm sure they want him there. The most obvious reason for not having Vala is that her presence would throw off the dynamic between Jack and Daniel. Let's keep in mind that they haven't formally announced the cast. I can see that there might be a logistical problem, given that Rage of Angels is filming this summer, but that would affect Chris Judge's availability, too. That may be why the movie is filming in the spring, rather than the summer as was mentioned at one point.

But something like you mentioned could work, but I feel like as a viewer I would feel Cam's absence more so than Vala's since he is the leader of SG-1.

I figure the story will start with something non-SGC/SG-1 related. Of course I can think of just as many ways to create a situation where only some of the team are there to respond to an emergency. ; ) But I'm betting that it will start outside of business.

Mclean
January 5th, 2009, 02:30 PM
If the film is centred on the original SG1 (I think I read that somewhere on here) then he probably won't be in it.

Dave_5124
January 5th, 2009, 03:15 PM
Could it possibly be a movie set in the past? Not with time travel but telling of a story that had happened in the past but wasn't an episode of sg1

Crazedwraith
January 5th, 2009, 03:22 PM
Maybe Mitchell's going to have an accident testing a new fighter craft? He'll be putting it though its paces in orbit when it gets whisked away. He'll end up in a distant pat of the galaxy, full of strange aliens, hunted by an insane military commander, just searching fo a way home. Of course we won't find that out until the 4th movie bu he'll have disappeared before the third one comes out.

amconway
January 5th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Could it possibly be a movie set in the past? Not with time travel but telling of a story that had happened in the past but wasn't an episode of sg1

That's an interesting idea, but I'm not seeing it as very do-able. They all look, uh, somewhat older now. Fine looking people, don't get me wrong! Still, I think that might be difficult...
For one thing-just look at Daniel! It would be pretty hard to buy him being a militarily inexperienced academic at this point. ; )

Maybe Mitchell's going to have an accident testing a new fighter craft? He'll be putting it though its paces in orbit when it gets whisked away. He'll end up in a distant pat of the galaxy, full of strange aliens, hunted by an insane military commander, just searching fo a way home. Of course we won't find that out until the 4th movie bu he'll have disappeared before the third one comes out.

LOL!

Jumper_One
January 5th, 2009, 03:26 PM

unlikely

Digitalred93 writes:”If the third SG-1 movie will be Jack-centric, will you be looking backwards or forwards for a character storyline? Any chance you’ll delve more into his ‘Ancient’ genetics?”

BW: Forwards. The end.
http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2009/01/02/january-2-2009-brad-wright-answers-your-questions/

TheRandomOne
January 5th, 2009, 03:42 PM
No Shanks news ?

amconway
January 5th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Nope. I'm guessing that the delay is about trying to work around the Rage of Angels movie.

leiasky
January 5th, 2009, 03:54 PM
I would probably like the character more if he was less front and center but I wouldn't miss him if he wasn't in the 3rd movie. It all depends on the premise for the movie and if Cam has moved on to other things in the timeframe that the 3rd movie takes place.

Mclean
January 5th, 2009, 04:01 PM

:lol:

Col.Foley
January 5th, 2009, 04:06 PM
I hope not, and really think it to be unlikely if these are indeed the continuing adventures of SG-1.

TheRandomOne
January 5th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Nope. I'm guessing that the delay is about trying to work around the Rage of Angels movie.

Thats odd since thats a project being worked on by Judge & Shanks & Judge is doing the movie :p

amconway
January 5th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Thats odd since thats a project being worked on by Judge & Shanks & Judge is doing the movie
When Chris Judge talked about doing the movie, they didn't have a film date for Rage of Angels yet. Michael Shanks is more circumspect (just slightly ; ).

What I meant was they are probably doing some schedule juggling before announcing anything. I'm pretty sure that Sanctuary films in the spring/summer, too, so that's an issue as well. I fully expect both Michael Shanks ans Chris Judge to be in the movie.

leiasky
January 5th, 2009, 05:41 PM
I hope not, and really think it to be unlikely if these are indeed the continuing adventures of SG-1.

I'm willing to bet that any future SG-1 movies are entirely dependent on how well the 3rd one does.

But it will have Jack. Lots of Jack. Likely, it will be even more popular than Continuum . . . :)

the fifth man
January 5th, 2009, 07:14 PM
Not having Vala in this is bad enough IMO. If Mitchell is cut out too, I will be extremely upset. He is the leader of SG-1, and should be in this film. I'm not saying he has to be front and center. This is a Jack film, and that works fine for me. But Cam should still be there in some capacity.

amconway
January 5th, 2009, 07:15 PM
We have no idea what the story is about-how can we make casting demands?

the fifth man
January 5th, 2009, 07:25 PM
We have no idea what the story is about-how can we make casting demands?

What demands? I am just expressing how I feel. I feel he should be in this film, especially now that we know Vala will not be.

majorsal
January 5th, 2009, 07:33 PM
i hope that ben/mitchell will be in the 3rd movie. :cameron:

amconway
January 5th, 2009, 07:33 PM
What demands? I am just expressing how I feel. I feel he should be in this film, especially now that we know Vala will not be.
I'm sorry. I was reading to much into what you said. Apologies...

the fifth man
January 5th, 2009, 07:34 PM
I'm sorry. I was reading to much into what you said. Apologies...

No apology is necessary, my friend.:)

mja71889
January 5th, 2009, 08:01 PM
But here are the clues. What we do know is that the movie is going to be released 2010 which coinsides with a Sg -1 episode revolving around that time period. Just so i don't have to do the spoiler thingy. Basically, I think that anyone who is reading my post and who saw that episode has a gut feeling that the writers coudln't resist doing an movie on it. I mean that episode left open an arc that wasn't filled and left perfect opperutinity for this. Hense if you saw the episode you can see how they can push both Vala and Cam out of it. And Hammond isn't in it either for reasons i can't say or i have to do the spoiler thing. But the point is i am hopeing the writers take the oppertunity to take advantage of this cause Earth could put up a fight now with starships and all where that wasn't possible then.

amconway
January 5th, 2009, 08:15 PM
What an intriguing notion! The Aschen showing up somehow in the same year... Very good idea! Oh, wait... Someone asked about the Aschen in the Q&A, anyone remember what he said?

Jumper_One
January 5th, 2009, 08:19 PM
What an intriguing notion! The Aschen showing up somehow in the same year... Very good idea! Oh, wait... Someone asked about the Aschen in the Q&A, anyone remember what he said?

;)

Jim Geer writes: “Are there any plans to revisit the Aschen story through any arm of the Stargate franchise? I’d love it.”

BW: I liked the Aschen story too. Insidious. No plans right now.
http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2009/01/02/january-2-2009-brad-wright-answers-your-questions/

amconway
January 5th, 2009, 08:21 PM
Jumper_One always has the info. : )
Well, I guess that nips that idea in the bud. Too bad, I liked it!

majorsal
January 5th, 2009, 08:21 PM
i just don't think it would be hard to fit mitchell into the movie like it would vala. mitchell is military and has experience in many other categories, so...

what if the 3rd movie is about the stargate program going public?

mja71889
January 5th, 2009, 08:23 PM
No plans right now when did he say that quote?

amconway
January 5th, 2009, 08:23 PM
i just don't think it would be hard to fit mitchell into the movie like it would vala. mitchell is military and has experience in many other categories, so...

It's pretty hard to speculate on whether or not Cam would fit into the plot while having no idea what that plot might be. Not saying that I don't want to see him, I really like Cam. I'm just saying, we don't know.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No plans right now when did he say that quote?

Only a few days ago.

mja71889
January 5th, 2009, 08:32 PM
Doh I thought I had it all figured out.

amconway
January 5th, 2009, 08:33 PM
Doh I thought I had it all figured out.

Well, it was a fine idea anyway. : )

dfoster1228
January 5th, 2009, 08:56 PM
Since the movie is a Jack movie maybe he goes back to the planet where he met Laira. Perhaps a rescue missioninvolving the child Laira was pregnant with when he left.

amconway
January 5th, 2009, 09:05 PM
Or perhaps an enemy with a grudge against the original team will snatch them up - that would explain why Vala wouldn't be involved, as well as Cam, if Cam isn't there.

Rocky89
January 5th, 2009, 09:27 PM

You just want Amanda in the 3rd movie don't ya Sally? :D;)

leiasky
January 5th, 2009, 09:28 PM
Since the movie is a Jack movie maybe he goes back to the planet where he met Laira. Perhaps a rescue missioninvolving the child Laira was pregnant with when he left.

Oh I hope that storyline is never revisited. :)

leiasky
January 5th, 2009, 09:33 PM

I'm not Sally but - heck yeah. The 3rd movie won't be right without at least the original 4!

amconway
January 5th, 2009, 09:35 PM

Sorry, Majorsal. I missed that bit, even though I quoted it. Don't know how I managed that... Anyway, I think that would be a very interesting storyline, but I don't see them going for it right now. It's kind of final. I don't see it being a plotline that wouldn't lend itself to Vala's presence, either-or Cam's for that matter. Although the only thing we know about Cam's presence is that Ben Browder didn't seem to think that it was likely that he'd be in it based on off the cuff remarks.

I'm not Sally but - heck yeah. The 3rd movie won't be right without at least the original 4!
I don't think that's a worry. They asked Amanda Tapping about her availability a long time ago! : )

leiasky
January 5th, 2009, 09:46 PM
Sorry, Majorsal. I missed that bit, even though I quoted it. Don't know how I managed that... Anyway, I think that would be a very interesting storyline, but I don't see them going for it right now. It's kind of final. I don't see it being a plotline that wouldn't lend itself to Vala's presence, either-or Cam's for that matter. Although the only thing we know about Cam's presence is that Ben Browder didn't seem to think that it was likely that he'd be in it based on off the cuff remarks.

All that internal and world strife that could interfere with the protection of the planet should a big baddie come knockin' on Earth's doorstep? Rumors are pretty strong that it'll be about the revelation of the Stargate program, and in a few days, we'll be able to talk about all kinds of fun things - after Enemy at the Gate aires!

amconway
January 5th, 2009, 10:00 PM
Dang! You just spoilered me, didn't you? And I've been working so hard not to hear anything about it! :( Enemy at the Gate that is...

StarCapnRa
January 5th, 2009, 10:21 PM
1 According to Brad, the 3rd movie will mostly be centered on Jack.
Also it was said that chris, amanda, and RDA will be in the movie does that mean beau and Ben will not be in the third movie. 2 We know vala won't. I think it would be wierd to have RDA as the star of the movie and Ben in it because they will be fighting for the lead role. Also TPTB said upcoming movies will not have the whole team in it. ~~~~~(rewind wait a minute, 3 does that mean the Sg-1 we have come to know and love will not be there. 4 Come on its not like the actors are always filming and touring. most of them only do 1-3 projects a year(Except for amanda, who is already on board for both movies) Claudia and ben and RDA have nothing schuduled yet. I mean look and Continum and AOt. They had the whole team and more. 5 Why cant we have that in upcoming movies. If we only had partial team, it would kinda ruin the movie(at least for me). 6 Now what do you guys think

1 WOW. They must have thrown a TON of money at RDA to pull him back in. A TON OF MONEY.
2 WOW. They are wasting an opportunity - not featuring the most talented (In My Opinion) actor/actress to EVER hit *ANY* Stargate show - EVER.
3 If you believe all the hype and advance gossip? I guess it DOES mean that.
4 Yeah. The actors should put their lives on hold -- FOR US -- IN CASE WE ARE INTERESTED. <<mod snip>>
5 Are *YOU* putting up the production money for future Stargate projects? No?? Huh. I guess YOU don't get any big say in what happens in future Stargate movies...
6 You made the mistake of asking me what I think. I dared to share it with you. Both of us will have to live with the aftermath.

Mod note : Use the forum smilicon next time.FHB.

Roger, wilco. :)

greytop
January 5th, 2009, 10:27 PM
I think it would be wierd to have RDA as the star of the movie and Ben in it because they will be fighting for the lead role.I don't think they would be fighting for the lead role. Ben has had role where he wasn't the lead and just did fine. Ben understands this. The move is is about Jack and he will take second fiddle to RDA like RDA did in Continuum.

amconway
January 5th, 2009, 11:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by major davis
I think it would be wierd to have RDA as the star of the movie and Ben in it because they will be fighting for the lead role.

I don't think they would be fighting for the lead role. Ben has had role where he wasn't the lead and just did fine. Ben understands this. The move is is about Jack and he will take second fiddle to RDA like RDA did in Continuum.

I didn't know what was meant by that, so I kind of left it alone, but surely they meant that there would be some kind of focus problem and not that there would be unprofessional infighting. I admit to some confusion, though. : )

gioia
January 5th, 2009, 11:56 PM
I hope he won't be get written out for this movie too. I don't see it likely but then I didn't see writing Vala out would happen for the plotline sake so here you go. He's not safe, I guess.

leiasky
January 6th, 2009, 07:19 AM
Originally Posted by major davis
1 According to Brad, the 3rd movie will mostly be centered on Jack.
Also it was said that chris, amanda, and RDA will be in the movie does that mean beau and Ben will not be in the third movie.
2 We know vala won't. I think it would be wierd to have RDA as the star of the movie and Ben in it because they will be fighting for the lead role. Also TPTB said upcoming movies will not have the whole team in it. ~~~~~(rewind wait a minute,
3 does that mean the Sg-1 we have come to know and love will not be there.
4 Come on its not like the actors are always filming and touring. most of them only do 1-3 projects a year(Except for amanda, who is already on board for both movies) Claudia and ben and RDA have nothing schuduled yet. I mean look and Continum and AOt. They had the whole team and more.
5 Why cant we have that in upcoming movies. If we only had partial team, it would kinda ruin the movie(at least for me). 6 Now what do you guys think

1. No one knows. Nothing for the third movie has been confirmed other than Vala won't be there (and, frankly, the writer could change this on a whim) and Jck will be the focus.

2. Why is is strange to have RDA as the lead for the film? He was top billed for the first 8 YEARS. Ben ONLY came in because RDA left. He wouldn't have been there otherwise.

3. We don't know.

4. Many people know very little about how an actor spends their time.

5. Kinda up to the writer and the studio notes they get back.

6. I've given my opinion:)

1 WOW. They must have thrown a TON of money at RDA to pull him back in. A TON OF MONEY.
2 WOW. They are wasting an opportunity - not featuring the most talented (In My Opinion) actor/actress to EVER hit *ANY* Stargate show - EVER.
3 If you believe all the hype and advance gossip? I guess it DOES mean that.
4 Yeah. The actors should put their lives on hold -- FOR US -- IN CASE WE ARE INTERESTED. <<mod snip>>
5 Are *YOU* putting up the production money for future Stargate projects? No?? Huh. I guess YOU don't get any big say in what happens in future Stargate movies...
6 You made the mistake of asking me what I think. I dared to share it with you. Both of us will have to live with the aftermath.

1. The films have a budget. If they can't meet that budget, they don't hire an actor. RDA wants to do it and he'll take less for a project if they can't afford him.

2. Everyone's got their opinion.

3. I'd like to think I believe what is in front of my eyeballs and nothing else.

4. Don't even need to bother to comment.

5. If you want to get technical, its not just the money people who have a say.

6. Opinions are like a$$*****. Everyone has them.

Dang! You just spoilered me, didn't you? And I've been working so hard not to hear anything about it! Enemy at the Gate that is...

Not particularly. That rumor about the 3rd movie being about the revelation of the Stargate program has been floating around for a very long time. And since we don't know WHEN the movie will take place, it'll be fun to speculate on the nitty gritty particulars. But - we can't discuss it in detail until that episode aires:)

Goauld System Lord
January 6th, 2009, 08:19 AM
Ben Browder better be in the next movie! It's bad enough that Claudia Black most likely won't be in it!

:daniel09: :samanime15: :tealcanime51:

david2708
January 6th, 2009, 09:53 AM
Ben's probably moved on to other stuff.
<mod snip>

Mod note : Stay on topic please.FHB

Khentkawes
January 6th, 2009, 12:00 PM
I won't be happy if Cameron isn't in it. I will miss Vala already, but if they cut out Mitchell entirely, it will seem like they are ignoring seasons 9-10. And while I'm sure some fans wouldn't mind that, I think it would be poor writing. With that said, I don't think they will do that. I do suspect that Mitchell's role will be small, but it would seem bizarre if he wasn't there for at least a little bit.

But it's tough to say anything when we only have guesses as to the storyline and no official confirmation regarding casting contracts, just statements from a few people who said they wanted to do the third movie or would be available for it (which is hardly the same as a signed contract). Still waiting on official announcements...

leiasky
January 6th, 2009, 02:27 PM
I think we're all eagerly awaiting news on who has officially signed up for the next movie:) Having Cam and Vala in it won't ruin it for me, but nor will them being missing. I only care that the script and story are tight and suspenseful!

VSS
January 6th, 2009, 03:24 PM
All that internal and world strife that could interfere with the protection of the planet should a big baddie come knockin' on Earth's doorstep? Rumors are pretty strong that it'll be about the revelation of the Stargate program, and in a few days, we'll be able to talk about all kinds of fun things - after Enemy at the Gate aires!

No!! They can never reveal the Stargate program. Then we'll know for sure it's not real. I mean, I totally had my kid convinced that Jack's office was in the Pentagon when we visited DC last summer.

I don't think they would be fighting for the lead role. Ben has had role where he wasn't the lead and just did fine. Ben understands this. The move is is about Jack and he will take second fiddle to RDA like RDA did in Continuum.

And I hope Daniel gets the main role next time. But I really think the movie needs Cam. For one, he owes his position on SG-1 to Jack. And he already saved Jack once in Antarctica, so there's a connection there, unlike Vala. Plus, he needs to be around to shoot things while Daniel and Sam do the thinking. There always needs to be someone around like that, and that's not Jack's job any more, nor is it really Sam's; and Daniel has come a long way with weapons but he's not a military man.

majorsal
January 6th, 2009, 03:29 PM

of course! :p

but my three fave characters are sam, jack, and mitchell. :)

PG15
January 6th, 2009, 03:52 PM
And I hope Daniel gets the main role next time. But I really think the movie needs Cam. For one, he owes his position on SG-1 to Jack. And he already saved Jack once in Antarctica, so there's a connection there, unlike Vala. Plus, he needs to be around to shoot things while Daniel and Sam do the thinking. There always needs to be someone around like that, and that's not Jack's job any more, nor is it really Sam's; and Daniel has come a long way with weapons but he's not a military man.

We also need someone to get beaten up! :D

Frankly, the best scenerio for me would be to have all of the original SG1, plus Cam and Vala there. I'm disappointed that Vala won't be there, and I will be even more disappointed if Cam disappeared as well.

leiasky
January 6th, 2009, 04:16 PM
No!! They can never reveal the Stargate program. Then we'll know for sure it's not real. I mean, I totally had my kid convinced that Jack's office was in the Pentagon when we visited DC last summer.

I know. I'm kinda torn on whether or not I'd like to see the program revealed. But, really, how long can they believably go on while the rest of the planet remains in the dark?

We also need someone to get beaten up!

Well, I'd like to see Jack get a bit beaten . . . but I'm strange that way! I like to see my fav characters get hurt a bit:)

amconway
January 6th, 2009, 04:21 PM

I don't disagree with you about Cam, I'd like to see him there, but I do disagree about about Sam and Daniel. Sam is the same rank as Jack was when he led SG-1, and Air Force through and through. Being a scientist doesn't take that away from her. Daniel's been on the front lines for over ten years, and while he is a civilian, he has more experience than most of the military people on Earth. While a lot of people may not have wished that for Daniel, that's his situation. He isn't a soldier in name but, he is one in ability.

the fifth man
January 6th, 2009, 07:26 PM
I really hope we get some news soon on who exactly will and who won't be in this movie. Not knowing for sure is driving me crazy.

VSS
January 7th, 2009, 06:16 AM
I don't disagree with you about Cam, I'd like to see him there, but I do disagree about about Sam and Daniel. Sam is the same rank as Jack was when he led SG-1, and Air Force through and through. Being a scientist doesn't take that away from her. Daniel's been on the front lines for over ten years, and while he is a civilian, he has more experience than most of the military people on Earth. While a lot of people may not have wished that for Daniel, that's his situation. He isn't a soldier in name but, he is one in ability.

Oh, I think that Daniel and Sam can do the shooting- after all Sam is a better shot than Jack ever was. But she'll have been away from that kind of action for several years by this time having been in administrative positions or possibly commanding a ship. And it's not as if she's ever been as enthusiastic about it as Cam, who, after all, did even have a spoof in 200 about wanting to take on the big bad aliens single-handedly.;)

And although Daniel certainly also can hold his own, I don't think that's something he's ever really liked. In fact, I think he probably regrets even having the ability to do so- as you say people may not have wished that for him. I think he doesn't wish it for himself. Also, the fact remains that he isn't military and I'm thinking there's a fair amount of learning strategy and tactics that officers are educated in that he's missed. Or else sergeants could eventually become lieutenants.

SylvreWolfe
January 7th, 2009, 05:33 PM
Gods, I hope not. Then I will have no incentive to even download it to see if I want to buy it.
$20 not wasted.

amconway
January 7th, 2009, 05:57 PM
Gods, I hope not. Then I will have no incentive to even download it to see if I want to buy it.
$20 not wasted.

Huh. An admission of piracy, AND lack of tact. If you'd flouted forum rules in one more way, you's have a hat trick.

I think he [Edit: Daniel] doesn't wish it for himself. [...] I'm thinking there's a fair amount of learning strategy and tactics that officers are educated in that he's missed.

I've never though of Daniel as the type who would actually think much about that. He's more likely to push down those type of feelings and get on with it. Of course, if you asked him, he would say that it would have been preferable if the Goa'uld had not been bent on domination of the galaxy, but I really don't see him having a lot of angst about it.

I'm not saying that Daniel is the equivalent of an officer/soldier (and I'm not saying that Cam doesn't have a clear role to play), but I think he's picked up an awful lot over the last 10 years plus. I don't see there being many situations that Daniel can't handle.

SylvreWolfe
January 7th, 2009, 06:09 PM
Huh. An admission of piracy, AND lack of tact. If you'd flouted forum rules in one more way, you's have a hat trick.

I not once admitted to piracy...
Lack of tact is a matter of opinion.

Stargate Steve
January 7th, 2009, 09:37 PM
I think Cam will be in it. He was really great in Continuum. It might just be a smaller role this time. I think the Vala thing is just for this movie. I don't think they would permanently write her or Cam out, given how popular they are.

major davis
January 8th, 2009, 12:51 PM
I still think everybody should be in the movie. I know its hard to get everybody scheduled but they did that for two movies shooting back to back. Actors our always looking for income. Just get them to promise to appear in the next movie

leiasky
January 8th, 2009, 01:03 PM
Just get them to promise to appear in the next movie

Heh. It doesn't quite work that way.

Iawen
January 8th, 2009, 08:07 PM
I'd like to think that Cam will be in the third movie. Just because the movie is Jack-centric is no reason not to have Cam there. Jack's a general, Mitchell's a lieutenant colonel, and he's the leader of SG-1 now. If BB isn't available that'd be one thing, but excluding him just because RDA is going to be the central character would be, IMO, a bad mistake. Besides, I really liked their interaction in Avalon and Origin; I would love to see these two work together more.

StarCapnRa
January 9th, 2009, 09:23 AM
$20 not wasted.

prompted the following response

which was rebutted thusly

I not once admitted to piracy...
Lack of tact is a matter of opinion.
SW is correct; there was only an admission of possible downloading. There are many legal download programs such as iTunes and NetFlix. Quite often people use these as a less expensive way of checking something out before putting up a larger amount for the actual DVD.
It is possible that this post might be considered offtopic but I felt that I should chime in so folks would be aware that downloading is not necessarily illegal.

amconway
January 9th, 2009, 09:40 AM
SW is correct; there was only an admission of possible downloading. There are many legal download programs such as iTunes and NetFlix. Quite often people use these as a less expensive way of checking something out before putting up a larger amount for the actual DVD.
It is possible that this post might be considered offtopic but I felt that I should chime in so folks would be aware that downloading is not necessarily illegal.

You make a good point. It was the mention of downloading to save the $20 that made me assume illegality, but I shouldn't have assumed that meant 'free', although the tone of the post did imply that.

the fifth man
January 11th, 2009, 06:27 PM
I really can't stress enough how much I hope Mitchell is in this film. I don't care if his role is a lot smaller than the previous two SG-1 films, just have him there though. Especially with Vala being excluded from this one.

flynn1959
January 12th, 2009, 12:28 AM
I really can't stress enough how much I hope Mitchell is in this film. I don't care if his role is a lot smaller than the previous two SG-1 films, just have him there though. Especially with Vala being excluded from this one.

I agree. Like it or not Vala and Mitchell are a part of SG1 now. Mitchell is the leader and Vala is a member of the team.

I really can't see any reason for them not to be there, unless they somehow try to set this movie back a few years. Which wouldn't work, imo, given how much time has passed and how much the cast have aged.

With Carter leaving for Atlantis SG1 would be Mitchell, Teal'c, Daniel and Vala. So without Cam and Vala that leaves a two man team. Wouldn't it mean a demotion for Carter to be back on a SG team as second in command? If Cam isn't in this movie will tptb give command of SG1 to Carter? I just don't see how this is going to work, at least not in a way I am going to be interested in.:(

leiasky
January 12th, 2009, 08:09 AM
I think I read somewhere that after Sam went to Atlantis, SG-1 was on standdown or something like that. Teal'c is on Dakara, Daniel is doing research. How long was he on Atlantis? I'm not sure there's much of an SG-1 left by this point. Cam may be doing something else by now.

Flyboy
January 12th, 2009, 10:33 AM
I think I read somewhere that after Sam went to Atlantis, SG-1 was on standdown or something like that. Teal'c is on Dakara, Daniel is doing research. How long was he on Atlantis? I'm not sure there's much of an SG-1 left by this point. Cam may be doing something else by now.
SG1 would NOT ever be on stand down, it would get all new personnel. If anything Cam would have carried on commanding SG1 with a whole new set of people.

As (spoilers for Atlantis S5 and Continuum)

Carter is moving on to command the Hammond, Vala wanted to stick around and look after Ba'al's host- a lengthy process I should imagine.

and Teal'c could very well be doing his Jaffa thing out in the galaxy, leaving jusy Danny boy.

Major_Griff
January 12th, 2009, 11:15 AM
I would imagine that Teal'c has taken his rightful place as leader of the Jaffa Nation along with Bra'tec. That would leave Cam, Daniel, and Vala on SG-1 with a new science officer to replace Carter. Of course the ptb might not want SG-1 to be so different now, but that is the logical configuration imo.

And to be on topic I hope Cam's in the new movie!

Flyboy
January 12th, 2009, 11:33 AM
I would imagine that Teal'c has taken his rightful place as leader of the Jaffa Nation along with Bra'tec. That would leave Cam, Daniel, and Vala on SG-1 with a new science officer to replace Carter. Of course the ptb might not want SG-1 to be so different now, but that is the logical configuration imo.

And to be on topic I hope Cam's in the new movie!
Bare in mind the 'SG1 movies' are actually 'Stargate' movies. There's no need for our original gang to even BE on SG1 anymore.

Major_Griff
January 12th, 2009, 11:41 AM
Bare in mind the 'SG1 movies' are actually 'Stargate' movies. There's no need for our original gang to even BE on SG1 anymore.

True, but I see no reason why Cam and Daniel, or even Vala wouldn't still be on SG-1. Cam is in the Military so it wouldn't really be his choice, The only place Daniel would want to be besides SG-1 would be Atlantis, and why would Vala want to leave? They could say she was still with Ba'al's host, but he probably needs a psychiatrist more than anything.

Flyboy
January 12th, 2009, 11:43 AM
True, but I see no reason why Cam and Daniel, or even Vala wouldn't still be on SG-1. Cam is in the Military so it wouldn't really be his choice, The only place Daniel would want to be besides SG-1 would be Atlantis, and why would Vala want to leave? They could say she was still with Ba'al's host, but he probably needs a psychiatrist more than anything.
I'd say the Ba'al's host thing is a perfect escape for Vala/Black from the movie if the writers or the actress need it. The trauma would be significant, and Vala is uniquely qualified to help there.

As for Cam, well I imagine he would still be commanding SG1.

So it's just Daniel really... and frankly now, I can imagine him spending all his time on Atlantis after EatG.

amconway
January 12th, 2009, 11:44 AM
I would imagine that Teal'c has taken is rightful place as leader of the Jaffa Nation along with Bra'tec. That would leave Cam, Daniel, and Vala on SG-1 with a new science officer to replace Carter. Of course the ptb might not want SG-1 to be so different now, but that is the logical configuration imo.

Whoa! Lightbulb moment! Okay, we know Vala isn't there and we don't know that Cam will be there. We do know that Jack will be there and that contracts seem to be in the works for Amanda Tapping, Michael Shanks, and Chris Judge. We do know that Sam will be taking command of the General Hammond, and therefore not on SG-1 as of the time she takes the promotion.

What if this movie takes place in a time that Daniel, Sam, and Teal'c are not on SG-1... That would fully explain Vala and (perhaps) Cam's absence. They are on SG-1 and are doing SG-1 things!
An original team story isn't necessarily an SG-1 story. I'm pretty sure they can get in a heap of trouble without patches on their sleeves...

Major_Griff
January 12th, 2009, 11:49 AM
Whoa! Lightbulb moment! Okay, we know Vala isn't there and we don't know that Cam will be there. We do know that Jack will be there and that contracts seem to be in the works for Amanda Tapping, Michael Shanks, and Chris Judge. We do know that Sam will be taking command of the General Hammond, and therefore not on SG-1 as of the time she takes the promotion.

What if this movie takes place in a time that Daniel, Sam, and Teal'c are not on SG-1... That would fully explain Vala and (perhaps) Cam's absence. They are on SG-1 and are doing SG-1 things!
An original team story isn't necessarily an SG-1 story. I'm pretty sure they can get in a heap of trouble without patches on their sleeves...

That would be a good reason to keep Cam and Vala out of the movie, except that I really want Cam be in it. I keep getting this feeling like BW wants to only use the original cast and will just forget about them like Dogget and Reyes in the new X-Files movie. Not that I minded them forgetting about Reyes, I just don't want them to do that to Cam and Vala.

amconway
January 12th, 2009, 11:55 AM
That would be a good reason to keep Cam and Vala out of the movie, except that I really want Cam be in it. I keep getting this feeling like BW wants to only use the original cast and will just forget about them like Dogget and Reyes in the new X-Files movie. Not that I minded them forgetting about Reyes, I just don't want them to do that to Cam and Vala.

We've had two movies with the original team. Would it really be such a bad thing to have one with the original team? Yoou really can't go for an original team shoe with the new mambers there. Vala would definately skew the dynamic, and I kind of think Cam would, too--especially in terms of the banter between Jack and Daniel. At best, he would be sidelined for big chunks of dialogue.

Major_Griff
January 12th, 2009, 12:00 PM
Yeah I see what you mean about the dynamics of the new team versus the old team, but I still think it wouldn't be right if Cam wasn't there, even though I'd take the old team over the new team any day of the week.

Flyboy
January 12th, 2009, 12:04 PM
Yeah I see what you mean about the dynamics of the new team versus the old team, but I still think it wouldn't be right if Cam wasn't there, even though I'd take the old team over the new team any day of the week.
What if Cam was there leading SG1, whilst Teal'c, Daniel, and O'Neill were on board a ship commanded by Carter? Not as SG1 if you follow...

amconway
January 12th, 2009, 12:06 PM

Lol! The dichotomy of emotion must unbearable!
You agree about the dynamics, and prefer the old team, but still don't want Cam not there... Uh.... ;)

I would probably feel the same if I though that they were going to remove Cam from SG-1, but I really don't think that's what they have in mind. They just want to have some fun playing with the interaction of the old team--which was very good fun! It's no slight to the new team. They like them fine, or they wouldn't have made two movies with them.

What if Cam was there leading SG1, whilst Teal'c, Daniel, and O'Neill were on board a ship commanded by Carter? Not as SG1 if you follow...

I'm thinking you nailed it... :)

Major_Griff
January 12th, 2009, 04:17 PM

Yeah that's probably how they'll do it if Cam isn't in the film, and I'd really have no problem with it, but... I don't know I still would rather have Cam in than out. I'm not even particularly a fan of Cam, I just think he deserves to be in the film.

amconway
January 12th, 2009, 04:21 PM
I'm not even particularly a fan of Cam, I just think he deserves to be in the film.

I really don't understand the notion of 'deserves'. It's not like Cam is being courtmartialed. You don't put characters in if they aren't going to have anything to do. An actor wouldn't even want to be in a movie where they had nothing to do. The story has to come first, and they seem to have a pretty clear idea of the story they want to tell. And it's not like Cam got short shrift in Continuum.

Major_Griff
January 12th, 2009, 04:26 PM
I really don't understand the notion of 'deserves'. It's not like Cam is being courtmartialed. You don't put characters in if they aren't going to have anything to do. An actor wouldn't even want to be in a movie where they had nothing to do. The story has to come first, and they seem to have a pretty clear idea of the story they want to tell. And it's not like Cam got short shrift in Continuum.

All true... I guess I just don't like the idea of trying to recapture the past. I mean I'm glad its going to be Jack centric since he is my favorite character, but that doesn't mean we have to forget the last two seasons of the show does it?

amconway
January 12th, 2009, 04:34 PM
All true... I guess I just don't like the idea of trying to recapture the past. I mean I'm glad its going to be Jack centric since he is my favorite character, but that doesn't mean we have to forget the last two seasons of the show does it?

I don't see it as trying to recapture anything. All of these people have been through a lot since they last were in a dangerous situation together (with the exception of the Shroud, or course). How will they relate to each other? How will they have changed? What will they think of the changes they see in each other? Will they still be able to work together, or will there be friction? There is a lot to explore there, outside the adventure aspects of the plot. There will be humorous banter of course, and Daniel is a whole lot more sharp with the sarcasm than he used to be! Should be interesting!

Major_Griff
January 12th, 2009, 05:09 PM
I don't see it as trying to recapture anything. All of these people have been through a lot since they last were in a dangerous situation together (with the exception of the Shroud, or course). How will they relate to each other? How will they have changed? What will they think of the changes they see in each other? Will they still be able to work together, or will there be friction? There is a lot to explore there, outside the adventure aspects of the plot. There will be humorous banter of course, and Daniel is a whole lot more sharp with the sarcasm than he used to be! Should be interesting!

Let's hope so!

amconway
January 12th, 2009, 05:10 PM
Let's hope so!

Have faith, my friend. ;)

Major_Griff
January 12th, 2009, 06:12 PM

lolz, I do, I do.

leiasky
January 12th, 2009, 07:29 PM

I absolutely do. I'm glad Brad and Carl are writing the script.

Khentkawes
January 12th, 2009, 08:17 PM

Oh, am, you're always so optimistic that I feel horrible for not quite having faith in your wonderful vision of this new movie. Because seriously, if you're right (and I do hope you are), I'll love it. But I still have this vision of stilted dialogue and an inexplicable lack of chemistry that causes the character interaction to feel flat... because, well, that's what I've seen, a gradual deterioration of the interaction between the original four. If they can recapture the chemistry that the original four used to have, that will be great. but I use the word "recapture" because I do feel like that chemistry has diminished over time.

Which is why I want Cam in the movie. I think he will add just enough of a fresh dynamic to keep things lively and interesting. And I really don't see how his presence could "skew" the dynamic between the other four. That just doesn't make sense to me.

I'm also not real keen on this idea that none of the original members of SG-1 are still on the team. I agree that they can still make the movie even if SG-1 has been completely disbanded... but I still feel like that would be incredibly sad. What I loved about Unending as a series finale was that it left our team together, still going through the gate. Yeah, the team has changed a bit over the years, but to think that SG-1 doesn't exist at all or that Cam is the only one left... that's just sad. If that's the way the movie turns out, I'll mourn for the loss of SG-1.

amconway
January 12th, 2009, 08:26 PM
I'm going to ignore the 'diminished' part (*plugs ears* Lalalalalala!) and just go th the last paragraph. ;)

I'm also not real keen on this idea that none of the original members of SG-1 are still on the team. I agree that they can still make the movie even if SG-1 has been completely disbanded... but I still feel like that would be incredibly sad. What I loved about Unending as a series finale was that it left our team together, still going through the gate. Yeah, the team has changed a bit over the years, but to think that SG-1 doesn't exist at all or that Cam is the only one left... that's just sad. If that's the way the movie turns out, I'll mourn for the loss of SG-1.

I don't mean to say that it would stay like that, just that it's a possible beginning. They are going to have to deal with Sam leaving the team to command the General Hammond, and the team might be in Flux. I'm thinking that the General Hammond will become SG-1's ship of choice, and that's how we'll still get Sam in the picture.

Khentkawes
January 12th, 2009, 09:08 PM
I'm going to ignore the 'diminished' part (*plugs ears* Lalalalalala!) and just go th the last paragraph. ;)

Lol. Okay. Go right ahead. Hey, at least now we know that you and I do not agree on everything... for a while there, I was starting to worry that we were clones or something. ;)

I really do want to be more optimistic about this movie... I'm just not there yet. :S

amconway
January 12th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Lol. Okay. Go right ahead. Hey, at least now we know that you and I do not agree on everything... for a while there, I was starting to worry that we were clones or something.

Don't worry until you see Harlan. ;)

StargateSG1
January 12th, 2009, 10:24 PM
I hope not, a movie with just the original team would just be a dream come true.

the fifth man
January 13th, 2009, 07:21 PM

I certainly hope not. The "original" team can still have a lot of interaction time. I just hope Cam is around in some capacity. I would really love to see Jack and Mitchell interact with each other more than they have been able to.

Major_Griff
January 14th, 2009, 06:54 AM
I certainly hope not. The "original" team can still have a lot of interaction time. I just hope Cam is around in some capacity. I would really love to see Jack and Mitchell interact with each other more than they have been able to.

Yeah I think Jack and Cam could be hilarious together.

the fifth man
January 14th, 2009, 11:33 AM
Yeah I think Jack and Cam could be hilarious together.

Yeah, I really think so too. What interaction we have gotten since Season 9 has been limited at best. I would really like them to have more time on-screen together. You know, to see how the former and current leader of SG-1 get along.

leiasky
January 14th, 2009, 03:47 PM
Might definitely be interesting to see:)

magictrick
January 14th, 2009, 04:05 PM
Just saw this thread now, and found out Vala won't be in the 3rd movie, quite disappointed about that. And then there's the possibility if won't have Cam either, that's kind of weird.

I guess they will just write them off in the story as "busy somewhere else" and have the mission involve old SG-1 having an adventure.

I actually wouldn't mind it as much seeing the old gang of Jack, Daniel, Sam and Teal'c for 90 or so mins :)

leiasky
January 14th, 2009, 04:08 PM
Just saw this thread now, and found out Vala won't be in the 3rd movie, quite disappointed about that. And then there's the possibility if won't have Cam either, that's kind of weird.

There hasn't at all been anything said about Cam not being in the next movie. Brad's announcement that Vala wouldn't be has sent Cam fans into a frenzy, that's all.

the fifth man
January 14th, 2009, 06:00 PM
There hasn't at all been anything said about Cam not being in the next movie. Brad's announcement that Vala wouldn't be has sent Cam fans into a frenzy, that's all.

Until I have official confirmation that Ben Browder will be in this movie, I will continue to be in semi-frenzy mode.;)

amconway
January 14th, 2009, 06:09 PM
Until I have official confirmation that Ben Browder will be in this movie, I will continue to be in semi-frenzy mode.

We don't even know that Michael Shanks will be in the movie yet--nothing there at all unlike the hints that Amanda Tapping and Chris Judge will be in it. Try not to get too semi-frenzied. ;)

the fifth man
January 14th, 2009, 06:22 PM
We don't even know that Michael Shanks will be in the movie yet--nothing there at all unlike the hints that Amanda Tapping and Chris Judge will be in it. Try not to get too semi-frenzied. ;)

Believe me, my friend, I'm trying not to.:) I just hope we hear some more on who officially will be in this movie soon.

Jumper_One
January 14th, 2009, 07:02 PM

and RDA

amconway
January 14th, 2009, 07:30 PM
and RDA
I figured that went without saying. ;)

Jumper_One
January 15th, 2009, 10:36 AM
I figured that went without saying. ;)

true :D

Iawen
January 15th, 2009, 11:14 AM
I also think Cam and Mitchell would be great together. We've seen them interact, but very minimally. I think we've seen enough to know that they like and respect each other. Interaction between them would be something different, something fresh. )Not that I think that interaction between characters we have seen would be stale.)

Crazedwraith
January 15th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Cam and Mitchell are the same person. Do you mean Shep and Mitchell?

Edit: *actually reads thread*

You mean Jack and Mitchell. Beh. I think Shep and Mitchell would work also. Flying side by side perhaps. The snake skinner squadron and the... darn have we heard a cool name for a Wraith fighting squadron?

Jumper_One
January 15th, 2009, 11:38 AM
Cam and Mitchell are the same person. Do you mean Shep and Mitchell?

I think Iawen means Jack and Cam

Crazedwraith
January 15th, 2009, 11:50 AM
Yeah I figured that, after I scan read the preceding posts.

I still maintain that we need more Shep/Mitchell antics.

aboleyn24
January 15th, 2009, 12:31 PM

I am a bit of a contradiction. I was thrilled that the Mulder-less years were ignored in the movie. That Doggett and Reyes were just forgotten. It seemed to me like an admission that those episodes were huge mistakes. They realized those characters were not what made up The X -Files.

But, but, but then I go and get all weepy (over exaggeration for comedic effect) at the thought of no Vala and Cam in the next movie. Because again to me that would seem an admission that season's 9 and 10 didn't work and I personally LOVE seasons 9 and 10. I loved Cam and Vala.

edit to add I know this is all speculation. We have no firm facts on Cam being or not being in the story. But right now with no new episodes of SGA ever again I am left with nothing but speculation.

I would love to see a merge of the original four and the newer additions. That is my dream world.

I know there are a lot of folks that long for the old days I'm just not one of them. Not for this show because for me the changes worked. I had no hard feelings about new cast members. RDA choose to leave so instead of discontinuing the show they revamped it and added fresh blood. I really liked the fresh blood while still appreciating the old blood. Can't we just mingle?

Major_Griff
January 15th, 2009, 04:13 PM
I am a bit of a contradiction. I was thrilled that the Mulder-less years were ignored in the movie. That Doggett and Reyes were just forgotten. It seemed to me like an admission that those episodes were huge mistakes. They realized those characters were not what made up The X -Files.

But, but, but then I go and get all weepy (over exaggeration for comedic effect) at the thought of no Vala and Cam in the next movie. Because again to me that would seem an admission that season's 9 and 10 didn't work and I personally LOVE seasons 9 and 10. I loved Cam and Vala.

edit to add I know this is all speculation. We have no firm facts on Cam being or not being in the story. But right now with no new episodes of SGA ever again I am left with nothing but speculation.

I would love to see a merge of the original four and the newer additions. That is my dream world.

I know there are a lot of folks that long for the old days I'm just not one of them. Not for this show because for me the changes worked. I had no hard feelings about new cast members. RDA choose to leave so instead of discontinuing the show they revamped it and added fresh blood. I really liked the fresh blood while still appreciating the old blood. Can't we just mingle?

I totally agree, when RDA left they realized they needed to revamp the series and go in a new direction which imo was great. Basically they succeeded in doing what the X-Files completely failed at. And I would much prefer having the original group as well as the new characters at the same time in stead of it being and either or kind of thing.

Iawen
January 15th, 2009, 09:36 PM
Oops, I did mean Jack and Cam. LOL.

A blending of the original four with the new additions is my dream, too. In fact, I really don't see why we can't have that.

Kickoutwoolsey
January 15th, 2009, 09:38 PM
i hope he's in it :cameron:

amconway
January 15th, 2009, 09:43 PM
The main problem with having everyone in it at once is that would reduce screen time for everyone, or pushing characters to the sideline. The more people, the less time for real charachter developing scenes. To me, even five people had that effect, with six, it would be even more pronounced,

Ikaros
January 16th, 2009, 07:34 AM

I hope he is NOT. I am glad it's a Jack centered movie, although i'll miss Vala.
But, for me, the Real SG1 was with Jack, Sam, Daniel and Teal'c, not Vala and Cameron. So if they keep them out of the movie, we will have the old SG1 feeling after all.

the fifth man
January 17th, 2009, 06:44 PM
I totally agree, when RDA left they realized they needed to revamp the series and go in a new direction which imo was great. Basically they succeeded in doing what the X-Files completely failed at. And I would much prefer having the original group as well as the new characters at the same time in stead of it being and either or kind of thing.

I totally agree with that. Reduced screen-time or not, there would still be a place and part for everyone on the team.

DropsOfAngst
January 24th, 2009, 12:08 PM
I really hope Cam is in the third movie, because while I have been a long time fan of the show, I got disinterested around midway through the series, and actually missed most of season 6, 7 and 8, until I was given episodes to watch and, WHOA! Who was this Cameron Mitchell I was viewing? And why didn't I realize he was in it months before?

So, uh, yes....big Cam fan :)

I'd just like to see some more of that Mitchell/Jackson humor, the subtle but so there Sam/Cam shippiness, and I would really like to see some Jack and Mitchell interaction, as we've not really had much of that. I'd like to be reassured that Jack doesn't hate him or something daft like that LOL (I know he doesn't, but in the 200th episode he came across as being a little annoyed with our dear Colonel).

silly sally
January 25th, 2009, 01:43 AM
I really hope Cam is in the third movie, because while I have been a long time fan of the show, I got disinterested around midway through the series, and actually missed most of season 6, 7 and 8, until I was given episodes to watch and, WHOA! Who was this Cameron Mitchell I was viewing? And why didn't I realize he was in it months before?

I'd just like to see some more of that Mitchell/Jackson humor, the subtle but so there Sam/Cam shippiness, and I would really like to see some Jack and Mitchell interaction, as we've not really had much of that. I'd like to be reassured that Jack doesn't hate him or something daft like that LOL (I know he doesn't, but in the 200th episode he came across as being a little annoyed with our dear Colonel).

That is the main reason I hate Cam with a vengeance and hope his role in the 3rd movie will be as small as possible (a cameo at the very end would be the best!)

ShardsofGlass
January 25th, 2009, 06:12 AM
That is the main reason I hate Cam with a vengeance and hope his role in the 3rd movie will be as small as possible (a cameo at the very end would be the best!)

So it's not Cam you hate, it's the great chemistry he has with Sam that you hate.

While I on the other hand love their chemistry. It seems a lot more natural than what I've heard Sam has with Jack. I say "heard" because I usually don't see it. So, personally, I'd love to see some more Sam/Cam stuff in the third movie. I think they are very cute together. :)

silly sally
January 25th, 2009, 07:14 AM
So it's not Cam you hate, it's the great chemistry he has with Sam that you hate.

While I on the other hand love their chemistry. It seems a lot more natural than what I've heard Sam has with Jack. I say "heard" because I usually don't see it. So, personally, I'd love to see some more Sam/Cam stuff in the third movie. I think they are very cute together. :)

No, it's Cam!
1. He took Jack's position on the show!
2. He took Sam's position on SG-1!
3. Coop tried to hook him up with Sam (thank God Amanda had more sense and objected to that course of action!)
I wish Brad would have dumped Cam instead of Vala for the 3rd movie...

ShardsofGlass
January 25th, 2009, 07:19 AM
No, it's Cam!
1. He took Jack's position on the show!
2. He took Sam's position on SG-1!
3. Coop tried to hook him up with Sam (thank God Amanda had more sense and objected to that course of action!)
I wish Brad would have dumped Cam instead of Vala for the 3rd movie...

But none of those things have anything to do with Cam, himself. They're forces outside his control. ;)

silly sally
January 25th, 2009, 07:32 AM
But none of those things have anything to do with Cam, himself. They're forces outside his control. ;)

I'm not saying I'm logical, after all hate rarely has anything to do with logic...
Anyway I'm not giving a rat's ass if Cam is or isn't in the movie so long it doesn't interfere with proper Sam/Jack ship confirmation (<- the only reason I'm still watching (not buying!) SG-1)

Skydiver
January 25th, 2009, 08:14 AM
ahem

to thy corners gentlemen

Let's please remember that the topic is WILL cam be in the third movie, not open season on how much you think he sucks.

Rachel-Kree
January 25th, 2009, 09:07 AM

Hi my friend! long time you don't come and play here...

back on topic:
you know i agree with you in some parts:P that is why i didn't quoted all your post...

I learned on how to accept Cameron in Sg-1, i must confess that in the begining i didn't even supported to see his face because i was very pissed after the end of season 8... (but this is another subject...)

So i say YES to Mitchell .... i'm really surprise with my own answer but i learned on how to like him as a normal character in the show so bring it on :)

as for Mitchell and Sam ... this is not the place to discuss ship either... i'm a Sam and Jack shipper though i love Cameron and Samantha interaction to me they are like awesome and good friends :D

so again... i Say YES to Mitchell ;)

aboleyn24
January 25th, 2009, 11:19 AM
I already posted my thoughts on wanting Cam in the movie. As for his being there interfering with Jack and Sam I think that won't happen. I always took their relationship as strickly friendship. Yes there were some flirty moments but I think that is just because Cam is a little flirty but I never ever saw it as shippy. Just two people that really got along really well.

Now this is coming from a non Jack Sam shipper. I don't actually care one way or the other. I've never really seen any chemistry between the two, but a relationship between them doesn't bother me either. It is what it is.

If the main reason for not wanting Cam there is shippy concerns then shouldn't Teal'c be out? Didn't AT say that she and Teal'c had a thing during Unending, that the actors played it as such even though it wasn't shown or acknowledged?

CaramelMonkey
January 25th, 2009, 11:51 AM
I already posted my thoughts on wanting Cam in the movie. As for his being there interfering with Jack and Sam I think that won't happen. I always took their relationship as strickly friendship. Yes there were some flirty moments but I think that is just because Cam is a little flirty but I never ever saw it as shippy. Just two people that really got along really well.

Personally, I see potential for them. But I prefer Sam/Jack...they have much more history.

As for Cam being in the third movie...I think he should! Vala's already out. Actually, since Brad said Vala doesn't have a place in the third move...or something along those lines...then technically Cam doesn't either.

But I want them both in! I'm a huge fan of both Cam and Vala, and I'd like to see them interact with Jack.:D

the fifth man
January 25th, 2009, 05:48 PM
Personally, I see potential for them. But I prefer Sam/Jack...they have much more history.

As for Cam being in the third movie...I think he should! Vala's already out. Actually, since Brad said Vala doesn't have a place in the third move...or something along those lines...then technically Cam doesn't either.

But I want them both in! I'm a huge fan of both Cam and Vala, and I'd like to see them interact with Jack.:D

I'm a huge fan of both too. Seeing more interaction between them and Jack would be so great to see. I really hope we get that someday.:)

But since we know that Vala is out of this one, all we can do is hope that Cam isn't out too. That he will have some more interaction with Jack.

DropsOfAngst
January 25th, 2009, 10:31 PM
Hi my friend! long time you don't come and play here...

back on topic:
you know i agree with you in some parts:P that is why i didn't quoted all your post...

I learned on how to accept Cameron in Sg-1, i must confess that in the begining i didn't even supported to see his face because i was very pissed after the end of season 8... (but this is another subject...)

So i say YES to Mitchell .... i'm really surprise with my own answer but i learned on how to like him as a normal character in the show so bring it on :)

as for Mitchell and Sam ... this is not the place to discuss ship either... i'm a Sam and Jack shipper though i love Cameron and Samantha interaction to me they are like awesome and good friends :D

so again... i Say YES to Mitchell ;)

Yeah it's been a while! :)

But, yes to Mitchell! I've just been looking at video clips of Cameron today, interacting with Daniel, Teal'c, Vala and Sam. Whilst I know Vala won't be in the third film, knowing he'd have been great with her is enough for me....so long as we get her in the fourth! :D (ever the optimist me!)

I think how great Cam is with each of the characters, whether shippy or just as interaction, is a true credit to how wonderful Ben is on screen.

I'm personally hoping that we'll get some more Cam angst. I don't know why, but I love seeing that boy whumped! (now I know how all the fangirls from a few years ago felt in that regard over Daniel -- which wasn't something I'd truly appreciated until Cam came along)

So, to recap: Cam + whumped + interaction = my hopes for the third movie, regarding Cameron :)

Rachel-Kree
January 26th, 2009, 04:17 AM
Yeah it's been a while! :)

But, yes to Mitchell! I've just been looking at video clips of Cameron today, interacting with Daniel, Teal'c, Vala and Sam. Whilst I know Vala won't be in the third film, knowing he'd have been great with her is enough for me....so long as we get her in the fourth! :D (ever the optimist me!)

I think how great Cam is with each of the characters, whether shippy or just as interaction, is a true credit to how wonderful Ben is on screen.

I'm personally hoping that we'll get some more Cam angst. I don't know why, but I love seeing that boy whumped! (now I know how all the fangirls from a few years ago felt in that regard over Daniel -- which wasn't something I'd truly appreciated until Cam came along)

So, to recap: Cam + whumped + interaction = my hopes for the third movie, regarding Cameron :)

It is a sadness that Vala wont be in the third movie... i would love to see her and O'Neill making jokes...

And i go for YES to see Cam in some Angst moments ...

Colonel Mitchell
January 26th, 2009, 06:23 AM
Yes, I'd like to see Cam in the third movie. I'm not just saying that because that's my user name and picture, because at the end of the day O'Neill is my all-time favourite character. I think he is a good character and I like to see him interact eith O'Neill and the rest of the group.

the fifth man
January 26th, 2009, 06:46 PM
With this next film being O'Neill-centered, I just really think it would be nice to have the former and current leader of SG-1 sharing screen-time together. I really hope we get word on Ben's status for this movie soon.

Petra
January 27th, 2009, 12:26 PM

Well, it's all subjective. :) personally, I don't see any chemistry between them. Actually it's one of the reasons I don't really like Cam - IMHO he doesn't have any chemistry with anyone on the show. It all feels forced to me.

So, although I realise I'm in a vast minority, I would be glad if Cam wasn't in the movie. However TPTB are so in love with his character that I'm 100% sure he will be and official announcement is just a matter of time. I hope that it will be at least a very small role, sort of like Jack in Continuum.

the fifth man
January 27th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Well, it's all subjective. :) personally, I don't see any chemistry between them. Actually it's one of the reasons I don't really like Cam - IMHO he doesn't have any chemistry with anyone on the show. It all feels forced to me.

So, although I realise I'm in a vast minority, I would be glad if Cam wasn't in the movie. However TPTB are so in love with his character that I'm 100% sure he will be and official announcement is just a matter of time. I hope that it will be at least a very small role, sort of like Jack in Continuum.

Wow, I see that totally different. I think Mitchell has great chemistry with the rest of the team. And to me, it feels very natural. Not forced at all.

Khentkawes
January 27th, 2009, 05:50 PM
Wow, I see that totally different. I think Mitchell has great chemistry with the rest of the team. And to me, it feels very natural. Not forced at all.

Agreed. I especially liked his chemistry with Sam, Daniel, Teal'c... um, well actually everyone (I was going to continue the list when I realized that I liked his chemistry with everyone :) I felt like his interaction with the team was very casual and natural).

amconway
January 27th, 2009, 06:22 PM
I have to agree with the last two posters. I find Cam's interactions with the team to be relaxed and believable--quite natural. He fits right in.

Steve 2
January 27th, 2009, 06:51 PM
Well, it's all subjective. :) personally, I don't see any chemistry between them. Actually it's one of the reasons I don't really like Cam - IMHO he doesn't have any chemistry with anyone on the show. It all feels forced to me.Same here. Cam's interaction with ALL of the team seems entirely artificial and forced. The relationship with Sam that was never and will never be explained makes me cringe every time, and that's just their "friendship". What makes it worse is that that phony friendship is meant to make everyone --the fans, the characters themselves, and the actors--ignore the inherent wrongness of having a new, inexperienced team member constantly screwing up yet leading the most experienced SGC members in existence.

As far as I remember, Cam and Daniel have no real relationship as they hardly are together in the show. The interaction of these two characters also comes across as awkward to me because even though Cam is the military character and Browder is supposed to be the lead character he just isn't. In seasons nine and ten Daniel/Shanks are portrayed as the lead character in just about every single episode. Daniel drives the action, along with Vala, and Mitchell usually hangs along providing often unnecessary protection and even more unnecessary one-liners.

And I know that people are going to disagree with me, but I just don't understand what kind of relationship I'm intended to think Teal'c has with Cam. For me, I kind of see it as the kind of relationship he must have with Reynolds or other SG team leaders. It's one of respect for the job and respect as a fellow warrior in the struggle. But I don't see a real friendship. And there are some scenes (Stronghold) that just seem to be played wrong. At the end of that episode Teal'c thanks Cam for doing his one man vs. an entire mothership of Jaffa routine, only to have Cam totally blow him off and say he'd do it for anyone. Um, ok?

Often times I think Cam would have been a better character for Atlantis. Shepard's team always seems like a bunch of coworkers and comrades, and not so much like a close-knit family. That's the kind of relationship I see Cam having with the rest of SG-1. They get along, they like each other, but there's not that close bond that Sam, Daniel, Jack, and Teal'c have with each other. They seem like family, like they don't have anyone else but each other. And I guess they really don't. That simple fact along with the enormous history they share with each other colors every interaction they have with each other. It's probably not fair and it's by definition exclusionary. But it exists nonetheless. And I think that's why so many people revere those characters so much.

the fifth man
January 27th, 2009, 07:06 PM
I have to agree with the last two posters. I find Cam's interactions with the team to be relaxed and believable--quite natural. He fits right in.

Yeah, he does fit right in. That is one of the many reasons I want him in this film so badly. It can mainly focus on the "original" team for the most part, I'm fine with that. Just don't leave Cameron out of the mix completely.

DropsOfAngst
January 27th, 2009, 07:16 PM
I think, if we want to be totally honest....it isn't actually the character of Cam and his relationships that were forced in the show (which I have to say I disagree with), it's actually the writing.

Cam was a great new leader. Yes, he'd never gone off world, but it was only certain episodes where this was played on....hence, again, it's a matter of the writer and what they wrote, not the -character- himself.

We had a series of writers, fanboys if you will, who weren't with the show from the beginning who went in all directions, and we're pretty lucky we got such a talented cast who could work with the material given to them....and boy, I really think Ben and Amanda handled what they were given in the last season fantastically.

The focus seemed inherently on the Daniel/Vala relationship (which was essentially a rehash of the Jack/Daniel from the original movie, and snippets of Jack/Daniel during those times Daniel really seemed to get under Jack's nose and annoy him), so I think it's great that we got the Cameron Mitchell we did....such a true credit to Ben. He had limited material, and he did fantastic with it.

I for one hope, even though the third movie is going to be Jack/Rick-centric, we end up with a good amount of Cam. We didn't get nearly as much as I'd have liked in Continuum (I like character development in my shows, and it didn't have a great deal of Cam-development, so far as I could percieve). So yes, bring me some Cam development. Cam angst. And some subtle moments where those that like him can ship him with whomever they like. I for one will be bringing my Cam/Sam and Cam/Daniel shippy goggles when I see this third film if he's in it :D

Steve 2
January 27th, 2009, 07:50 PM
I think, if we want to be totally honest....it isn't actually the character of Cam and his relationships that were forced in the show (which I have to say I disagree with), it's actually the writing.

Cam was a great new leader. Yes, he'd never gone off world, but it was only certain episodes where this was played on....hence, again, it's a matter of the writer and what they wrote, not the -character- himself.Well, it's all the writing. All of the good and all of the bad, so I don't really see the distinction between saying the character is bad/forced and saying that the writing of the character is bad/forced. How do you separate the character entirely from the writing? In general I agree with you that the writers' work, almost universally, wasn't as good in seasons nine and ten as it was in previous years. It was spotty, it was inconsistent. And the character of Cam is a consequence of that. He can't exist outside of it.

That said, and to get back towards the topic, I have to say I agree with col aga. I think Cam will be in the movie for a medium/small part. It's not so much that I think the writers love the character but that they do feel a certain amount of responsibility for the rough reception Cam got. I keep getting the impression that they're trying to redeem the character and win over the audience, or at least they were with Continuum. I don't know how they good of a job they think they did with him in that film, but it could influence whether or not they think he's worth contributing time to in the future.

There's also the money issue. With a limited pile of money to mete out, and Anderson, Tapping, Judge, and Shanks already seemingly committed, I'm not sure how much screen time or money will be left to allocate to Cam/Browder. I know some people are upset over Vala not being in the movie, but I can't help but think that one of the main reasons she won't be is that writing for six or seven characters doesn't really give much of an opportunity to service any of them. It's my impression that from what Wright and Cooper have said that they believe that Jack, Sam, Daniel, and Teal'c are necessary to make an SG-1 film. Everyone else, while it would be nice to have them, has to be considered as extras to be included depending on the script and budget.

Iawen
January 27th, 2009, 10:22 PM
It's my impression that from what Wright and Cooper have said that they believe that Jack, Sam, Daniel, and Teal'c are necessary to make an SG-1 film. Everyone else, while it would be nice to have them, has to be considered as extras to be included depending on the script and budget.

For me it's upsetting to say that Vala and Cam are NOT necessary for SG-1 films, because they are part of SG-1.

Ripple in Space
January 27th, 2009, 11:31 PM
While Cam is probably my least favorite SG-1 member (which isn't really a bad thing since I REALLY LIKE all of the others), I'd be pretty upset to see him missing from #3 just because Jack is back in the lead role (which I couldn't be happier about).

It just wouldn't make any sense for the producers to expect us to go along with, "We got RDA back! Screw those new guys!" I like Jack better than Cam & Vala combined, but they can't throw away three years of continuity. It's bad enough that due to a bias against Vala she won't be included in the movie at all. Again, it just seems sloppy and a betrayal of the franchise & fans' trust to make such huge deals about Cam & Vala joining SG-1 to just forget about them when they got back their preferred star. It makes even less sense, since Jack is their boss and it's implied that they all have a good professional and social relationship together.

It's not like Browder replaced RDA as Jack O'Neill, Cam was supposed to add a new character to the franchise. SG-1 is Homeworld Security's Flagship Team and Jack is the Head of Homeworld Security... They're kind of supposed to be working together...

Look how well "The Return" turned out.

Khentkawes
January 27th, 2009, 11:55 PM
I like Jack better than Cam & Vala combined, but they can't throw away three years of continuity. It's bad enough that due to a bias against Vala she won't be included in the movie at all. Again, it just seems sloppy and a betrayal of the franchise & fans' trust to make such huge deals about Cam & Vala joining SG-1 to just forget about them when they got back their preferred star. It makes even less sense, since Jack is their boss and it's implied that they all have a good professional and social relationship together.

That's what bothers me the most: the continuity. I know that some fans didn't like S9/S10, but they happened. We can't just ignore them (and frankly, I loved both seasons, so I don't want to ignore them).

And you're right... we've seen Jack interact with Cam (as well as Landry, and Vala to a slightly lesser extent). So there's no reason to think they can't interact well together again. Given their relative positions and professional connections, we should expect that they have had quite a bit of interaction already.

It's not like Browder replaced RDA as Jack O'Neill, Cam was supposed to add a new character to the franchise. SG-1 is Homeworld Security's Flagship Team and Jack is the Head of Homeworld Security... They're kind of supposed to be working together...

I agree. I see no reason why Jack and Cameron should be mutually exclusive characters. As far as I'm concerned, there's no reason why we can't have both of them.

leiasky
January 28th, 2009, 08:37 AM
Same here. Cam's interaction with ALL of the team seems entirely artificial and forced.

I agree. And the comment Teal'c makes in one of the episodes where its shoved down our throats with a happy little 'reminder' that 'Cam reminds him/us of General O'Neill' nearly made me retch. Because we all KNEW Cam was brought in to replace Jack, but because of the writing, the character fell completely short of resembling anything relating to Jack.

As a by product of Cam being purposly there to replace Jack, the direction and writing of the rest of the characters around him seemed wrong and off, as others have said. They tried to write the rest of the characters with the same bond as they had with Jack, and you could tell (it was painful to watch for me) that it just wasnt the case. The actors didn't have the same chemistry.

Often times I think Cam would have been a better character for Atlantis. Shepard's team always seems like a bunch of coworkers and comrades, and not so much like a close-knit family.

Well said. I hadn't thought about it that way. SG-1 (seasons 1-8) was so very cluse knit, I just didn't get that feeling with seasons 9 and 10. It felt too forced. But again, I really feel it wasn't completely the writing and direction, it was the fault of the executive producing team.

As for the third movie, the thought may be that BECAUSE Cam was brought in to replace Jack (and everyone knows it) and they have Jack back, they may not need him. I wouldn't care if he was there or not, but I can't imagine him NOT being there. As others have said, he is a member of SG-1 (unless that has changed) so unless the movie isn't about SG-1, then I'm sure Cam will be there.

the fifth man
January 28th, 2009, 06:11 PM
For me it's upsetting to say that Vala and Cam are NOT necessary for SG-1 films, because they are part of SG-1.

I couldn't agree more. To me, they are both very necessary.

Ripple in Space
January 29th, 2009, 06:24 AM
Like I said a few months ago, unless they have a scene in the movie where Cam & Vala are literally shot in the head, they really must be included in the team for continuity's sake.

Petra
January 29th, 2009, 02:59 PM
It just wouldn't make any sense for the producers to expect us to go along with, "We got RDA back! Screw those new guys!"

and yet this is precisely what they did with Jonas/ CN...

I like Jack better than Cam & Vala combined, but they can't throw away three years of continuity. It's bad enough that due to a bias against Vala she won't be included in the movie at all. Again, it just seems sloppy and a betrayal of the franchise & fans' trust to make such huge deals about Cam & Vala joining SG-1 to just forget about them when they got back their preferred star. It makes even less sense, since Jack is their boss and it's implied that they all have a good professional and social relationship together.

Look how well "The Return" turned out.

Again, the writers already did this very thing with Jonas/ CN when Daniel/ MS came back. So they can and they did. Still, as I said, TPTB love Cam too much to get rid of him and I'm certain he'll play a significant role in the next movie.

Petra
January 29th, 2009, 03:12 PM

which just proves my point. :P
It's all subjective.

Ripple in Space
January 29th, 2009, 03:40 PM

Again, the writers already did this very thing with Jonas/ CN when Daniel/ MS came back. So they can and they did. Still, as I said, TPTB love Cam too much to get rid of him and I'm certain he'll play a significant role in the next movie.

It's the same if you're comparing the situations from an actor's POV. It's not the same from an in-show perspective. (Keep in mind I like Jonas better than Mitchell).

Jonas joined SG-1 to continue Daniel's work because he felt partly responsible that Earth and the entire Galaxy at large lost this huge asset just because Jonas' people were corrupt & ignorant. Jonas said that when he came on and when he left. So it makes some sense that when Daniel came back, Jonas didn't feel the responsibility to continue Daniel's work (remember, Jonas wasn't even an Archaeologist per say, he went back to being a researcher).

Mitchell came on to SG-1 because that was his dream job. He didn't replace Jack, he was working under him. They even try to suggest that when off duty the whole group socializes and a lot of SG-1's orders are coming directly or indirectly from Jack off-screen.

That's the difference. Jonas came on as a replacement, because Daniel was dead. Cam came on because he wanted to and Jack was his boss.

Replicator Todd
January 29th, 2009, 03:47 PM
That's the difference. Jonas came on as a replacement, because Daniel was dead. Cam came on because he wanted to and Jack was his boss.
Now that is what you call the truth!:cool:

Ripple in Space
January 29th, 2009, 05:16 PM
guessing you're joking, since those are pretty basic SG-1 facts.

Replicator Todd
January 29th, 2009, 06:22 PM
Yes but many people tend to forget.

Ripple in Space
January 29th, 2009, 08:44 PM
yes, yes. Sorry I sorta misunderstood you before :D

the fifth man
January 30th, 2009, 08:04 PM

For me, Mitchell's role doesn't even have to be as front and center as the first two SG-1 films. I just want him there.

Replicator Todd
January 30th, 2009, 08:19 PM
He could be moved to command of a ship or somehting...and doesn't appear until the space flight.

Iawen
January 31st, 2009, 12:24 AM
Spoiler for EatG:

In the last episode of Atlantis, wasn't Carter about to assume command of a new earth vessel? If so, Cam must remain the leader of SG-1, which means his presence is required in the next movie.

major davis
January 31st, 2009, 07:59 AM
Spoiler for EatG:

In the last episode of Atlantis, wasn't Carter about to assume command of a new earth vessel? If so, Cam must remain the leader of SG-1, which means his presence is required in the next movie.

Not if Jack comes back to claim his old title

leiasky
January 31st, 2009, 08:19 AM

Or the movie isn't actually about SG-1 . . .

Iawen
January 31st, 2009, 11:08 AM

He's a General, though.

Major_Griff
January 31st, 2009, 11:48 AM
Or the movie isn't actually about SG-1 . . .

Which might be the case since logically Teal'c shouldn't even be a member of SG-1 any more, and we know Jack and Sam aren't on SG-1. I imagine SG-1 would be Cam, Daniel, Vala, and another officer with a science background.

Replicator Todd
January 31st, 2009, 12:36 PM
Which might be the case since logically Teal'c shouldn't even be a member of SG-1 any more, and we know Jack and Sam aren't on SG-1. I imagine SG-1 would be Cam, Daniel, Vala, and another officer with a science background.

Maybe Mckay would be the science officer for a while, Atlantis is currently on Earth and there has to be some sort of family members the Atlantis Expedition can say hi too for a while.;)

the fifth man
January 31st, 2009, 06:02 PM

Come on, you know Teal'c keeps getting sucked back in. He loves it too much.:)

leiasky
January 31st, 2009, 07:06 PM

I imagine Daniel will be on Atlantis for the foreseeable future . . . Why go put himself in danger when he's got a lifetime full of Ancient right on his doorstep?

leiasky
January 31st, 2009, 07:08 PM

Teal'c could come back in so many ways, but doubtful as a member of SG-1.

Maybe Mckay would be the science officer for a while, Atlantis is currently on Earth and there has to be some sort of family members the Atlantis Expedition can say hi too for a while.

I think I'd slit my wrists if Mckay was in the next SG-1 movie. The character is barely tolerable on Atlantis.

Though, I'm also hoping Atlantis is no where near the vicinity of Earth in the next movie, too.

CaramelMonkey
January 31st, 2009, 07:14 PM
I think I'd slit my wrists if Mckay was in the next SG-1 movie. The character is barely tolerable on Atlantis.

Personally, I like McKay! But I doubt he'd be in the movie. If they're cutting out Vala, and possibly Cam, then they don't really have a right to bring in Atlantis characters...Lmao

leiasky
January 31st, 2009, 07:18 PM
Personally, I like McKay! But I doubt he'd be in the movie. If they're cutting out Vala, and possibly Cam, then they don't really have a right to bring in Atlantis characters...Lmao

Lots of people like him:)

I really do think Cam will be in the movie as there is a lot he can bring to furthering a plot that doesn't have him commanding SG-1.

amconway
January 31st, 2009, 07:19 PM
I imagine Daniel will be on Atlantis for the foreseeable future . . . Why go put himself in danger when he's got a lifetime full of Ancient right on his doorstep?

I bet Daniel is happier than he's been since he found Heliopolis!

Regarding continuity, there's a big difference between in-show logic and the reactions of fans to character absence. There are innumerable possible reasons that Vala, or Cam and Vala, might be busy somewhere other than where the rest of the team is. That's an entirely different matter from peoples desires. It's not a matter of continuity, it's about personal hopes for the characters.

the fifth man
January 31st, 2009, 07:33 PM

Regarding continuity, there's a big difference between in-show logic and the reactions of fans to character absence. There are innumerable possible reasons that Vala, or Cam and Vala, might be busy somewhere other than where the rest of the team is. That's an entirely different matter from peoples desires. It's not a matter of continuity, it's about personal hopes for the characters.

Yeah, it is. I will remain hopeful about Cam being in this movie until we hear some kind of official confirmation, either way. There is nothing else I really can do.

Major_Griff
January 31st, 2009, 11:15 PM

Yeah but as a Teal'c fan, I have to say that he should be leading the FJN, keeping him a member of SG-1 is like keeping a bird in a cage. He needs to spread his wings and realize his true potential.

True, but I was working under the assumption that Atlantis will very soon be back in PG. Though I can't know that for certain.

Ripple in Space
January 31st, 2009, 11:18 PM

Yeah, but we know that the reason Vala won't be in there is probably because the writer just doesn't like her character. It just seems kind of ridiculous that a starring character would be disliked by a head writer...

I hear plenty of times how some writers have trouble finding the voice of certain characters, or not identifying with certain characters, but having a head writer down right disliking a starring character's contribution to the show, well I think that just screams of incompetence on the part of the show runners.

I think if there's a strong enough bias against a lead character on a series either the character should never make it into the opening or the writer in question should be released from their contract... What's that bit about a house divided... how well does it stand?

Like I said earlier, it's not that I'm a huge Cam & Vala fan, I'm really not, and I would trade them both for Jack if necessary, but I simply don't like the fact that two supposedly important characters have become disposable.

leiasky
February 1st, 2009, 08:31 AM
Vala is far from a 'starring character'.

And since its the creator of SG-1 writing the script, and I don't think Vala was a character he created, he's got every right to write a script where she may not be needed.

Though, this thread is about Cam, and his still being around the SGC is more believable.

Replicator Todd
February 1st, 2009, 08:52 AM
Its not like Cam has anyone else to be! :p The IOA hasn't gotten on to him yet...and he doesn't really ever have meetings...so Cam is more and more likely to be in the 3rd movie...taking orders from Jack!

Khentkawes
February 1st, 2009, 09:19 AM
Spoiler for EatG:

Yes, you're right about EatG. And I agree with you. Cam is still in command of SG-1. Whether or not Daniel, Teal'c, or Vala are still on SG-1 has been debated, but I choose to think they are all still on SG-1 until I'm proven otherwise. But assuming they are on SG-1 and Cam is in charge, he really should be in this movie.

*Khent goes back to impatiently waiting for a press release on the casting of the third movie.*

Ripple in Space
February 1st, 2009, 10:36 AM
Vala is far from a 'starring character'.

And since its the creator of SG-1 writing the script, and I don't think Vala was a character he created, he's got every right to write a script where she may not be needed.

Though, this thread is about Cam, and his still being around the SGC is more believable.

In the opening sequence = starring role, lol.

I'm sorry, but if he thought that Cam and/or Vala were inferior characters he should have fought to keep them out of the show.

RealmOfX
February 1st, 2009, 02:57 PM
Yeah, but we know that the reason Vala won't be in there is probably because the writer just doesn't like her character. It just seems kind of ridiculous that a starring character would be disliked by a head writer...

I hear plenty of times how some writers have trouble finding the voice of certain characters, or not identifying with certain characters, but having a head writer down right disliking a starring character's contribution to the show, well I think that just screams of incompetence on the part of the show runners.

I think if there's a strong enough bias against a lead character on a series either the character should never make it into the opening or the writer in question should be released from their contract... What's that bit about a house divided... how well does it stand?

Like I said earlier, it's not that I'm a huge Cam & Vala fan, I'm really not, and I would trade them both for Jack if necessary, but I simply don't like the fact that two supposedly important characters have become disposable.

May I ask where you are getting your information from as to what Brad Wright thinks? Seriously, the man has stated that he likes Vala.

amconway
February 1st, 2009, 05:01 PM

No, we don't know that. It's been denied, and this is unsubstantiated supposition.

Ripple in Space
February 1st, 2009, 05:46 PM
Why isn't she in Movie #3 then?

amconway
February 1st, 2009, 05:53 PM
Why isn't she in Movie #3 then?

I'm sorry, but we've been over this backwards, forward, and sideways. I just can't do it again. Read Brad Wright's Q&A, read the back posts, read Joe Mallozi's blog. It's all there--Particularly the O&A, and the discussion that took place around that time.

Anyone have the links?

Ripple in Space
February 1st, 2009, 06:14 PM
I'm sorry, but we've been over this backwards, forward, and sideways. I just can't do it again. Read Brad Wright's Q&A, read the back posts, read Joe Mallozi's blog. It's all there--Particularly the O&A, and the discussion that took place around that time.

Anyone have the links?

:rolleyes:

Brad said that he likes Vala. In the next sentence he said there's no role for her in the movie he's writing... hmmm....

Replicator Todd
February 1st, 2009, 06:23 PM
Well just becuase she is liked, doesn't mean she has to be everywhere! Although her abscene will be odd, but we are talking about Cam remember!?

Ripple in Space
February 1st, 2009, 06:28 PM
Well just becuase she is liked, doesn't mean she has to be everywhere! Although her abscene will be odd, but we are talking about Cam remember!?

I'm just responding to con-man's stuff. Given it's an SG-1 Movie and there are no known actor-availability issues, whatever members of SG-1 aren't included in the film clearly aren't appreciated by the writer(s) regardless of what he says. The proof is in the pudding, well this being Stargate, maybe Jell-o, lol.

Boon
February 1st, 2009, 07:01 PM
I hope not...
I'm a farscape fan from way back and there is not one jot of Difference between Cam Mitchell and John Crichton... On paper two different people, but in practice, the same. It's largely Ben Browder's fault... He's got about three settings, Witty and Irreverent, serious and all business or freaking out. Granted he does them well, but after a while it just looks like farscape had a costume change...

RealmOfX
February 1st, 2009, 07:04 PM
I'm just responding to con-man's stuff. Given it's an SG-1 Movie and there are no known actor-availability issues, whatever members of SG-1 aren't included in the film clearly aren't appreciated by the writer(s) regardless of what he says. The proof is in the pudding, well this being Stargate, maybe Jell-o, lol.

Clearly?? Sunshine, there could be a myriad of reasons why a character isn't included, we simply do not know what they are. I suggest that until we do know more that you seriously back away from implying that Brad Wright is a liar.

Khentkawes
February 1st, 2009, 07:22 PM
I hope not...
I'm a farscape fan from way back and there is not one jot of Difference between Cam Mitchell and John Crichton... On paper two different people, but in practice, the same. It's largely Ben Browder's fault... He's got about three settings, Witty and Irreverent, serious and all business or freaking out. Granted he does them well, but after a while it just looks like farscape had a costume change...

Wow. I don't think I could possibly disagree with that statement any more than I do. I watched Browder in SG-1 first, and then watched Farscape, and about the only similarity I see between the two characters is that both Cam and Crichton have good senses of humor. Oh, and they both work in space... sort of.

I've said it in other threads, but I'll mention it again. In my opinion, Browder's portrayal of Cameron Mitchell is much more subtle than his portrayal of Crichton. Mitchell is a much more grounded person, more aware of his faults, more thoughtful in some ways, and more social, I think. Crichton is more... well, crazy, but also reactionary, more emotional, more intense, a bit less self-aware, maybe a bit introverted, and honestly, way smarter than Mitchell.

It may not be the night and day difference between Vala and Aeryn, but there are differences. I've certainly never seen them as the same character, and I never really got them confused. There are a few similarities in the way they were written. Both characters were written as pilots and as supposedly "down to earth" kind of guys. But that's the writing, and it was out of Ben's control in both cases.

And like I said, I see more subtlety in Cameron's character, more layers to his personality that aren't necessarily obvious at first. Which is why I would like to see more of him in the next movie (and any future movies). I don't think he needs to be the center of all the action (as a matter of fact, he often shines when he's not the center of the action). I'd just like him to have some role.

the fifth man
February 1st, 2009, 07:55 PM
All we can really do is hope that Brad found a role for Cam to play in this film.

amconway
February 1st, 2009, 11:57 PM
whatever members of SG-1 aren't included in the film clearly aren't appreciated by the writer(s) regardless of what he says. The proof is in the pudding, well this being Stargate, maybe Jell-o, lol.

That's just... okay, it's silly. There could be any number of plots that don't lend themselves to Vala's presence. While that may mean that those plot lines might not be ones you prefer, it doesn't invalidate them or mean that the writers hate Vala. It just means that the story they want to tell is not the story you want them to tell. No big conspiracy, just a difference of artistic opinion.

leiasky
February 2nd, 2009, 07:09 AM
That's just... okay, it's silly. There could be any number of plots that don't lend themselves to Vala's presence. While that may mean that those plot lines might not be ones you prefer, it doesn't invalidate them or mean that the writers hate Vala. It just means that the story they want to tell is not the story you want them to tell. No big conspiracy, just a difference of artistic opinion.

Thank you.

You said what I didn't have the patience last night to explain kindly :)

Well said:)

bluestrike
February 2nd, 2009, 07:22 AM
Well, BR has already confirmed Vala won't be. Since he doesn't say anything about cam, unless he was answering a vala specific question, it is implied cam will.

Really looking forward to the 3rd movie. Best part of the 3rd movie will be no Claudia Black and her ability to grind any scene to a halt.

amconway
February 2nd, 2009, 09:07 AM
Best part of the 3rd movie will be no Claudia Black and her ability to grind any scene to a halt.

Actors aren't responsible for the writing of the characters, or the directing. As anyone who watched Farscape knows, Ms. Black is very capable.

As I recall, the question was Vala related, so there was no reason to mention Cam. He may or may not be in the movie, but there was no implication that he wouldn't be. This is more tempest/teapot stuff. I'm starting to think people just enjoy the drama.

leiasky
February 2nd, 2009, 01:24 PM
Actors aren't responsible for the writing of the characters, or the directing. As anyone who watched Farscape knows, Ms. Black is very capable.

Exactly. I find myself agreeing with you a lot lately. I didn't enjoy Farscape at all, but with exception of a few things not in CB's control, (and more to do with the writing/directing or lack of strict EP oversight) I was fine with Vala.

I'm starting to think people just enjoy the drama.

I've got enough drama in my real life. I really don't go looking for it in my entertainment, too:)

Yet, I think you're right - again. :)

And to keep this post on topic for the thread - If the writers have a story that uses Cam, I'm sure he'll be in the film.

I wrote a feature length Stargate script (that no one has seen yet because its real tough to get into the right hands. Still trying, tho) that used all the characters but that doesn't mean that the story Brad and Carl want to tell this time around will use them all. It'd be very easy to exclude Vala and Cam.

DSG1
February 2nd, 2009, 02:03 PM
Ben better be in the next movie!! Bad enough no Vala! :(

Personally, I wish Jack would retire and get it over with.

senois
February 2nd, 2009, 02:09 PM
OK folks of course Cam is going to be in the new SG1 movie He is after all the leader of SG1 or did I miss a movie.
No big loss with Vala not been in the movie I tought she was much better in farscape than SG1.

Ripple in Space
February 2nd, 2009, 02:19 PM
Clearly?? Sunshine, there could be a myriad of reasons why a character isn't included, we simply do not know what they are.

Whoa, whoa. I don't know guys, I think I'm going to have to go with Cam on this one. I agree that "SG-1" is a heck of a lot more than two letters, a dash and a number, it signifies a certain team of people. When he said it a few years back he was referring to Teal'c, Sam and Daniel, then by season 10, those four symbols also represented Cam & Vala. Now this movie is an "SG-1 Movie." Jack's back, which I'm thrilled about since he's one of my favorite characters and in-story-wise, he & Landry are the ones who give SG-1 their orders.

So yeah, I think of SG-1 as Daniel, Sam, Teal'c, Cam & Vala, with Landry & Jack as nearly equally important people. So when someone writes a movie about "SG-1," I think, by default, it means the movie will be about the core 5, and possibly the two Generals. If a writer pens an "SG-1 Movie," and removes one of the default characters for "story issues" or "artistic reasons" do you honestly think that he's showing love for him or her...?

And as far as me "not liking the reasons," that couldn't be further from what I said. If I had my druthers, seasons 1-10 would have had Jack, Sam, Teal'c, Daniel, Hammond & Janet as the cast. I don't think Vala and/or Cam's absence will necessarily hurt the film, I think to maintain continuity, SG-1 should be in an SG-1 movie...

RealmOfX
February 2nd, 2009, 04:23 PM
OK folks of course Cam is going to be in the new SG1 movie He is after all the leader of SG1 or did I miss a movie.
No big loss with Vala not been in the movie I tought she was much better in farscape than SG1.

Actually there is nothing at the moment that makes me think Cam won't be in the movie. There's been no indication of anything along those lines. However just because Cam was the current SG-1 leader last time we saw him doesn't mean they can't or won't turf him. False logic there.

RealmOfX
February 2nd, 2009, 04:31 PM
Whoa, whoa. I don't know guys, I think I'm going to have to go with Cam on this one. I agree that "SG-1" is a heck of a lot more than two letters, a dash and a number, it signifies a certain team of people. When he said it a few years back he was referring to Teal'c, Sam and Daniel, then by season 10, those four symbols also represented Cam & Vala. Now this movie is an "SG-1 Movie." Jack's back, which I'm thrilled about since he's one of my favorite characters and in-story-wise, he & Landry are the ones who give SG-1 their orders.

So yeah, I think of SG-1 as Daniel, Sam, Teal'c, Cam & Vala, with Landry & Jack as nearly equally important people. So when someone writes a movie about "SG-1," I think, by default, it means the movie will be about the core 5, and possibly the two Generals. If a writer pens an "SG-1 Movie," and removes one of the default characters for "story issues" or "artistic reasons" do you honestly think that he's showing love for him or her...?

And as far as me "not liking the reasons," that couldn't be further from what I said. If I had my druthers, seasons 1-10 would have had Jack, Sam, Teal'c, Daniel, Hammond & Janet as the cast. I don't think Vala and/or Cam's absence will necessarily hurt the film, I think to maintain continuity, SG-1 should be in an SG-1 movie...

Re the coloured part

Well you are still making a heck of a lot of assumptions about 1) what the story is supposed to be about and 2) what the writers reasons / motivations / thinking is

The simple fact is you don't know anything (beyond that there will be a movie and that Vala won't be in it), none of us do so give over on the damning false conclusions will you? Logically you cannot derive any conclusion with the sparsity of information available.

Ripple in Space
February 2nd, 2009, 04:37 PM
Re the coloured part

Well you are still making a heck of a lot of assumptions about 1) what the story is supposed to be about and 2) what the writers reasons / motivations / thinking is

The simple fact is you don't know anything (beyond that there will be a movie and that Vala won't be in it), none of us do so give over on the damning false conclusions will you? Logically you cannot derive any conclusion with the sparsity of information available.

I strongly disagree.

1.) It's not an assumption that the movie Jack will star in will be the 3rd SG-1 DVD Movie. It's common knowledge, and both Wright & Mallozzi have referred to it as such.

2.) Huh? I'm pretty sure any reasons anyone comes up with aren't nearly as compelling as the fact that a member of SG-1 is being removed from the SG-1 roster for the purposes of the Third SG-1 Movie.

leiasky
February 2nd, 2009, 05:24 PM
Did I imagine that Brad at one point, or maybe Joe, said the next SG-1 movie would be the 'old school' SG-1? I know I got that term from somewhere, and I think it was from one of the writers.

If that's the case, 'old school' is Sam, Jack, Teal'c and Daniel. No Cam, no Vala, no Landry.

amconway
February 2nd, 2009, 05:39 PM
Did I imagine that Brad at one point, or maybe Joe, said the next SG-1 movie would be the 'old school' SG-1? I know I got that term from somewhere, and I think it was from one of the writers.

If that's the case, 'old school' is Sam, Jack, Teal'c and Daniel. No Cam, no Vala, no Landry.

I didn't take that to have quite the same meaning. All the old team active and involved? Yes. Rousing adventure and discovery? You betcha! I didn't figure it meant anything about the other characters. You may very well be right. We know that it's not a storyline where they saw Vala as playing a part, so that may also be true of other characters, as well, but I'm not sure we can draw that conclusion from the statement. That being said, I think it might be a story that revolves around the original team, and I don't have a problem with that. I don't see a movie about the original team being a slight to the new one, just another story to be told among many.

Replicator Todd
February 2nd, 2009, 06:53 PM
I picture the old SG1 as just classic adventures and humor, not the team, I do miss the classic "team". If Cam isn't on SG1 i'm sure he will be in the movie doing something with the SGC.

the fifth man
February 2nd, 2009, 08:01 PM
I didn't take that to have quite the same meaning. All the old team active and involved? Yes. Rousing adventure and discovery? You betcha! I didn't figure it meant anything about the other characters. You may very well be right. We know that it's not a storyline where they saw Vala as playing a part, so that may also be true of other characters, as well, but I'm not sure we can draw that conclusion from the statement. That being said, I think it might be a story that revolves around the original team, and I don't have a problem with that. I don't see a movie about the original team being a slight to the new one, just another story to be told among many.

I didn't take it that way either. This movie can have an "old-school" SG-1 feel and still have Cam around.

Replicator Todd
February 3rd, 2009, 01:59 PM
I didn't take it that way either. This movie can have an "old-school" SG-1 feel and still have Cam around.

:indeed: But Cam may not actually be part of the SG1 team, :(.

leiasky
February 3rd, 2009, 02:02 PM
:indeed: But Cam may not actually be part of the SG1 team, :(.

Didn't one of the writers say something about what happened to everyone after Season 10? They were on stand down or something like that?

Replicator Todd
February 3rd, 2009, 06:16 PM
Didn't one of the writers say something about what happened to everyone after Season 10? They were on stand down or something like that?

Well i've never heard anything about it...

the fifth man
February 3rd, 2009, 06:57 PM

I never heard that.

Ripple in Space
February 3rd, 2009, 07:57 PM

Actually the opposite. In the past few days they said Cam, Daniel, Vala & Teal'c continue to operate as SG-1.

Khentkawes
February 3rd, 2009, 08:33 PM

No... well, maybe. But that doesn't make it gospel.

I think that Joe Mallozi said something on his blog about how, in his mind, SG-1 continued as Cam, Daniel, Teal'c, and Vala, when Sam moved on to Atlantis. But IIRC, he did say that was just his opinion of what happened.

I also seem to recall Amanda Tapping (who isn't a writer for SG ;)) say that in her mind, she liked to think SG-1 had split up when Sam left and everyone went off to do their own things.

But in my mind, it's all a moot point. Writers cannot make up canon that doesn't appear in the work. It's a basic literary philosophy that once you release your work to the public, you relinquish control of it. If the viewers/readers/audience interpret your work in a way other than you intended, that's their right as an audience. So if it doesn't appear in the work, then it's still just someone's opinion. Even if it happens to the a writer's opinion, it's still just an opinion unless they write it into a movie.

And in the case of Stargate, which is written by multiple authors, the whole issue becomes even more difficult. So JM thinks that SG1 is Cam, Daniel, Teal'c, and Vala. Maybe BW thinks that SG-1 is Sam, Daniel, and Teal'c, with Jack tagging along for the ride. Maybe RCC thinks that it's Cam, Daniel, and Vala. Maybe Carl Binder thinks that Landry is dead, Mitchell is in charge of the SGC, SG1 has disbanded, and Daniel is the liaison to the Ancients! Who knows? The point is, what one writer says is still just one opinion of what might have happened. So it's all well and good to say, "so-and-so says this"... but that's still just an interpretation, which never shows up in the work itself. And with JM's blog, there's no proof that his opinions won't be contradicted in some future episode or movie (it's not like they check his blog for continuity issues before they write a new movie).

So, basically, we won't know until the movie comes out. If it turns out that the writers have sat down and decided that SG-1 is Cam, Daniel, Teal'c, and Vala, then they should write the next movie in a way that will show that. Until then, all we get are opinions that may or may not agree with one another.

Oh, and sorry for the rant... it's a bit of a pet peeve of mine. It's also why I take everything that JM says with a mountain of salt. ;)

heliosphere
February 4th, 2009, 04:15 AM
Thank you for that Khentkawes. I only take as canon as to what is on screen before me, not in easter eggs or DVD extras, not in what so and so said this one time, not what an actor says at a con etc. Because if you take one as canon, then you need to take it all. You can't pick and choose if you plan to go the route of "X actor/writer said".

Otherwise, I'd be more apt to believe that Daniel is a ninja at night ;) because they said so!

Ripple in Space
February 4th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Personally, I'd like to believe that "SG-1" is only active when they need to be, but aren't on any kind of scheduled roster. In my mind it would be like how it was after they defeated the Goa'uld. All of them leading their fields, and when they had to they'd go on a mission.

My main reason for preferring that to what the writers said is that I really don't think that SG-1 is a very effective team when missing both Sam & Jack. While Cam + Vala may fill in the gap of one of the two, I don't see Cam fully filling the skill set gap of Jack or Vala filling the gap of Sam.

Sam's the best scientist on Earth, Vala has some proficiency in science.

Jack is the most decorated SG-team leader, Cam is a pilot who was co-leader of SG-1 for 3 years and was pretty bad at it until S10.

Petra
February 4th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Personally, I'd like to believe that "SG-1" is only active when they need to be, but aren't on any kind of scheduled roster. In my mind it would be like how it was after they defeated the Goa'uld. All of them leading their fields, and when they had to they'd go on a mission.

My main reason for preferring that to what the writers said is that I really don't think that SG-1 is a very effective team when missing both Sam & Jack. While Cam + Vala may fill in the gap of one of the two, I don't see Cam fully filling the skill set gap of Jack or Vala filling the gap of Sam.

Sam's the best scientist on Earth, Vala has some proficiency in science.

Jack is the most decorated SG-team leader, Cam is a pilot who was co-leader of SG-1 for 3 years and was pretty bad at it until S10.

This time I completely agree. :)

DSG1
February 4th, 2009, 03:12 PM
hmm, wonder if that means they'll pick up where they left off during the 2 part of Atlantis movie where they show Carter in charge of the SCG? There was no Landry in that one.

leiasky
February 4th, 2009, 03:15 PM
I don't know why but I get the feeling the premier of SGU, and the SGA and SG-1 movies are all going to be tied in closely together. As in, taking place almost on top of each other in the franchise timeline.

DSG1
February 4th, 2009, 04:10 PM
I think so too. Sounds to me it will be Earth based maybe. Im keeping fingers crossed tho that ben will be in it. But sounds to me like they will tie in the new SGU with this movie. why else have Jack instead of Ben as the lead?

Ripple in Space
February 4th, 2009, 04:39 PM
I really hope it's not Earth based, and just like a HUGE version of an SG-1 S1-7 episode only with Cam along for the ride and Teal'c having hair.

the fifth man
February 4th, 2009, 05:35 PM
I really hope it's not Earth based, and just like a HUGE version of an SG-1 S1-7 episode only with Cam along for the ride and Teal'c having hair.

That would pretty much be the ideal scenario for me. No doubt about it.:)

DSG1
February 4th, 2009, 05:47 PM
Since they have no bad guys left, I cant see what they would do for an entire movie? Introduce new bad guys? Im only speculating Earth based and it's focusing on Jack by Earth base, I mean, show them at the SCG more than off world not necessarily on Earth for the entire movie.

amconway
February 4th, 2009, 05:54 PM
I can't draw any conclusions about whether SG-1 continued, as we don't have enough canon information, but there are a few things to consider.

1. When Jack left the team, he wasn't replaced.

2. When Daniel 'died', he was replaced.

3. When everyone on the team left, the entire team was replaced. It just happened that Cam, due to extraordinary circumstance, was able to convince the old members of the team to return. If he hadn't been able to, SG-1 would be an entirely new team.

From this we can conclude that while SG-1 may vary in size, allowing individual team members to be replaced, or not, as circunstances dictate, the team itself is a military unit like any other, that will continue with, or without, the previous members of the team. If they went to do other things, there would be an entirely new SG-1, unless the team was officially on 'stand-down', and they were essentially on leave awaiting new orders.

the fifth man
February 4th, 2009, 05:54 PM
Since they have no bad guys left, I cant see what they would do for an entire movie? Introduce new bad guys? Im only speculating Earth based and it's focusing on Jack by Earth base, I mean, show them at the SCG more than off world not necessarily on Earth for the entire movie.

Major bad guys left or not, SG-1 is prone to finding trouble. Something from their past may come back to haunt them.

DSG1
February 4th, 2009, 05:59 PM
Yeah they can bring back an old enemy.

Ben should come first in my opinion not Jack. Jack left. He screwed everything up by leaving and Carter almost screwed it up by leaving I say once you're gone, no second chances because it leaves the new characters with no room to grow and now Rick wants to be in the next movie bumping Ben out? That's not right so keeping fingers crossed that Ben will be in it somewhere.

amconway
February 4th, 2009, 06:02 PM

I would prefer that it not be Earth based, although if there were some archeology and discovery, I'd be okay with that, I guess. I'd like to see some offworld use of the Stargate, though.

I would absolutely love a HUGE SG-1 S1-7 episode with Cam along for the ride. That would be beyond awesome! Teal'c can have hair or not, as he pleases.

amconway
February 4th, 2009, 06:14 PM
Ben should come first in my opinion not Jack. Jack left. He screwed everything up by leaving and Carter almost screwed it up by leaving I say once you're gone, no second chances because it leaves the new characters with no room to grow and now Rick wants to be in the next movie bumping Ben out? That's not right so keeping fingers crossed that Ben will be in it somewhere.

It's rather confusing when you mix character names with actor names. I'm assuming that you're complaining about RDA needing to spend time with his young daughter and Amanda Tapping going on maternity leave? You're going to find pretty much zero agreement on that. Everyone is just glad to have them back, and respects them highly. People in every walk of life take time off for their kids when they need to. Actors are no different. And really, the actor's lives shouldn't come into it. Let's keep the discussion to the characters.

DSG1
February 4th, 2009, 06:32 PM
Okies no problem that was not my intent. Just pointing out they left and shouldnt come first. I just dont want Ben being overlooked because they want RDA back. (MHO)

amconway
February 4th, 2009, 06:43 PM
Okies no problem that was not my intent. Just pointing out they left and shouldnt come first. I just dont want Ben being overlooked because they want RDA back. (MHO)

Point taken. I think we can be sure that if Cam isn't in the movie, it will be entirely due to the storyline they wish to pursue, not because one actor is being traded for another. If the plot can use both and the actors are both available, they'll have them both. If, for whatever reason, the plot makes it illogical that Cam would be there, then I think we won't see him. We can't really know what is appropriate without seeing the script, and I say that as someone who like Cam very much.

the fifth man
February 4th, 2009, 06:56 PM
I just hope we get more information sometime soon about this movie. Exactly who will and who won't be in it, you know? Not knowing for sure can be a tad frustrating.

leiasky
February 4th, 2009, 09:46 PM
I just hope we get more information sometime soon about this movie. Exactly who will and who won't be in it, you know? Not knowing for sure can be a tad frustrating.

It's not likely we'll find out anything substantial for another few months yet. Not until contracts are signed, shooting schedules are booked and the script is finished.

Petra
February 5th, 2009, 08:01 AM
I think so too. Sounds to me it will be Earth based maybe. Im keeping fingers crossed tho that ben will be in it. But sounds to me like they will tie in the new SGU with this movie. why else have Jack instead of Ben as the lead?

In terms of characters: because Jack outranks Mitchell, so it's obvious he'd be in charge.
In terms of actors: because a lot of people love RDA and want him back.

And can you please stop mixing character's and actor's names? It's very confusing :)

leiasky
February 5th, 2009, 08:07 AM
Originally Posted by DSG1

Because the character of Jack is far more popular and has proven that his mere appearance in an episode or movie (compare Continuum dvd sales to Ark of Truth) makes it very successful.

There are still soooo many stories still left to tell in the Stargate universe. With a good script, a willing cast, and a studio to fund it, the franchise could go on for a very long time.

Ripple in Space
February 5th, 2009, 12:07 PM
In terms of characters: because Jack outranks Mitchell, so it's obvious he'd be in charge.
In terms of actors: because a lot of people love RDA and want him back.

Because the character of Jack is far more popular and has proven that his mere appearance in an episode or movie (compare Continuum dvd sales to Ark of Truth) makes it very successful.

There are still soooo many stories still left to tell in the Stargate universe. With a good script, a willing cast, and a studio to fund it, the franchise could go on for a very long time.

RDA being a "name" actor sure doesn't hurt either

Replicator Todd
February 5th, 2009, 01:30 PM
I disagree, there has been 214 episodes of SG1 many of which had an enemy that was undefeated. I'm sure some new threat or old will emerge. Meaning SG1(with Cam!) will be called to arms! I don't think the third movie will be Earth based as Continnum was very Earth-based.

leiasky
February 5th, 2009, 01:36 PM
I disagree, there has been 214 episodes of SG1 many of which had an enemy that was undefeated. I'm sure some new threat or old will emerge. Meaning SG1(with Cam!) will be called to arms! I don't think the third movie will be Earth based as Continnum was very Earth-based.

Absolutely. There are so many threads and situations that weren't ever actually 'resolved', just forgotten about.

Maybe a lot of the story will take place on a ship. . . Sam should be getting hers any time now.

the fifth man
February 5th, 2009, 07:02 PM
It's not likely we'll find out anything substantial for another few months yet. Not until contracts are signed, shooting schedules are booked and the script is finished.

Another few months?:eek: I guess I'll have to survive somehow until then.

Ripple in Space
February 6th, 2009, 03:25 PM
They should do some sort of dream sequence where Ben plots RDA's murder so he can star in the Movie

CaramelMonkey
February 6th, 2009, 03:34 PM
They should do some sort of dream sequence where Ben plots RDA's murder so he can star in the Movie

Yeah! Lmao. That'd be soooo funny.

But some die hard RDA fans would probably be throwing *pissy!fits* all over the world.

Ripple in Space
February 6th, 2009, 04:05 PM

But some die hard RDA fans would probably be throwing *pissy!fits* all over the world.

It could be just like "A Dog's Breakfast" and David "McKay" Hewlett could write this one too :D.

Petra
February 7th, 2009, 02:46 AM

RDA fans? You know, I'm a "die hard RDA fan" and I find the idea incredibly funny and would like to see it. :D And if anyone would be "throwing *pissy!fits*" (but seriously...;)) I'd think it would be rather Ben's fans, since he'd be a villain of sorts..:D

Malviris
February 7th, 2009, 03:15 AM
Ehh i think more people would want Jack back instead of Cam but hey who knows maybe both will join up.

amconway
February 7th, 2009, 06:19 PM
I don't think the third movie will be Earth based as Continnum was very Earth-based.

That's a good point. I'm guessing that it will start on the General Hammond and go from there. Or start at the SGC (or an offworld base), then to the Hammond, etc. No way to know, of course...

the fifth man
February 7th, 2009, 06:46 PM
That's a good point. I'm guessing that it will start on the General Hammond and go from there. Or start at the SGC (or an offworls base), then to the Hammond, etc. No way to know, of course...

Yeah, I definitely want to see the General Hammond in this movie.

leiasky
February 8th, 2009, 08:59 AM
That's a good point. I'm guessing that it will start on the General Hammond and go from there. Or start at the SGC (or an offworld base), then to the Hammond, etc. No way to know, of course...

I'm not sure we're going to see much of the SGC if the set has been struck to make room for SGU sets.

It wouldn't be 'Stargate' without the SGC, but, I'm confident that whatever they come up with will be good.

amconway
February 8th, 2009, 09:02 AM
I'm not sure we're going to see much of the SGC if the set has been struck to make room for SGU sets.

All they really need to set the scene at the SGC is the Gateroom.

It wouldn't be 'Stargate' without the SGC, but, I'm confident that whatever they come up with will be good.

Sure it would! Lots of episodes started with the team emerging from the gate, and ended with them going back through.

Replicator Todd
February 8th, 2009, 02:54 PM
Eventually the SGC will get a major overhaul and look completely different. :(

amconway
February 8th, 2009, 02:58 PM
Eventually the SGC will get a major overhaul and look completely different.

I'm sorry that the offices and halls had to go, but let's face it, in a real installation, the technical areas would have been overhauled years ago. The gate computer terminal looked like a Vax! (For those of you that don't know, that'd OLD! ;) )

leiasky
February 8th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Eventually the SGC will get a major overhaul and look completely different. :(

Yeah, I think JM mentioned something similar to that in his blog.

poundpuppy29
February 10th, 2009, 02:06 PM
I do think Cam will be in the movie something tells me BW likes his character

WishIwasJoes
February 10th, 2009, 04:26 PM
I hope not...

I kinda of agree. But I still think if Jack is back Cam can be there. If hes not well ok. But either way the writers won't have a problem putting them on the screen together. The small screen time they have had together has been fine so I do not see a huge issue with him being there. . . or him being gone. :jack::cameron:

the fifth man
February 10th, 2009, 05:13 PM

I certainly do hope that is the case.

silly sally
February 11th, 2009, 03:53 AM

That's not a sure thing, it depends also on Ben's availability and willingness to be in the movie; a.k.a. if the movie is Jack centric and RDA is offered top billing would Ben agree to play a lesser role and not be billed first?