X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wraith Mind Readers (Vegas)

Spoilers for "Vegas" ,SGA .
    Spoiler:
    After having seen 'Vegas' and seeing the way the Wraith used his mental abilities to give himself the upper hand in the card game, I was wondering why Todd didn't use his abilities in a similar way during 'First Contact/The Lost Tribe,' and other similar situations where the Wraith colaborated with us, to make sure that we were on the level. Of course it's also possible that the Wraith in the 'Vegas' reality have different mental powers than those in our reaality (a weak theory, but it's possible)

Mod note to all : Please remember to spoiler tag your first post and /or the thread title in any threads about Season 5 in the areas outside the Season 5 section.Thanks !
    Last edited by Bagpuss; 05 January 2009, 11:58 PM. Reason: Inserting spoiler tags.

Originally posted by songar87 View Post
    After having seen 'Vegas' and seeing the way the Wraith used his mental abilities to give himself the upper hand in the card game, I was wondering why Todd didn't use his abilities in a similar way during 'First Contact/The Lost Tribe,' and other similar situations where the Wraith colaborated with us, to make sure that we were on the level. Of course it's also possible that the Wraith in the 'Vegas' reality have different mental powers than those in our reaality (a weak theory, but it's possible)
    We know that they're able to exert mental influence, they said so in "Infection" that without the controlling influence of the Wraith, the drones were mindless animals.

Those guys playing the card game had no idea that George (the pet name given to the Wraith lol) had mental abilities, and thus it probably wouldn't hard to read their minds. That being said, I think that Queens are the only ones who can actually force someone to give up information through their minds. I don't know if they can actually read our minds, or if they just force us to verbally respond by mentally controlling us.

I'm pretty sure that in our reality, where everyone knows who and what the Wraith are, the Wraith wouldn't have much leverage on our minds.

Comment

I think it was mentioned somewhere in season one that wraith can't read minds but exert mental influence and can probably sense if you're stressed and that helps a lot when playing poker
      - Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.
      - When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
      - Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
      - Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ...

Comment

Originally posted by rens14 View Post
        I think it was mentioned somewhere in season one that wraith can't read minds but exert mental influence and can probably sense if you're stressed and that helps a lot when playing poker
        yep!

sigpic
        Sig made by squirrely1
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ
        *PM me if you clicked on that link*

Comment

Originally posted by rens14 View Post
          Except for the fact that Vegas Todd was able to read Sheppard's mind and be able to figure out his name as "John Sheppard" and McKay said "They can get into your head."

Comment

I think it depends on the concentration level of the Wraith. "George" as people are describing him, was unblinking, just staring straight ahead. Todd probably wasn't thinking of much else, and gathering a name isn't pretty hard. However, when our Todd so many episodes ago or whatever, could have used his telepathy, he was most likely distracted so rather than sit there concentrating on everyone's brain he just did whatever...
            When the time comes to utilize Earth's best weaponry against an ailen threat. The weapon that will ultimately prove to be Earth's best will be the Zatnikitel
            Zatnikitelman

Comment

The more they concentrate the more powerful there mental abilities may be. Just speculating
              Last edited by Mclean; 06 January 2009, 12:05 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

I have a question regarding this...

Spoiler:
                I'm not home, so can't watch the episode to find out, but did the Wraith (George, or Spike, as we Wraith fans have named him) hear Sheppard's name during the card game?? If so, then he would have known it, and relayed it to Todd, perhaps.

But not sure Sheppard's name was said in that scene...and I haven't looked at any transcripts, yet.

das

EDIT:

Spoiler:
                Just read the transcript. Sheppard's name wasn't mentioned in the presence of the other Wraith, and it says in the transcript that Todd is having mental influence over Sheppard. So...yeah.

Remember, however, that this ep was written by Robert Cooper - perhaps, as one of the creators of the Wraith, he wanted to re-establish the strength of Wraith telepathy, something that has been lost over the past season or so.

das
                Last edited by dasNdanger; 06 January 2009, 01:14 PM.
                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                X