PDA

View Full Version : So Vala Mal Doran is not expected to appear in the next SG1 movie...

Pages : 1 [2]

flynn1959
January 14th, 2009, 07:57 AM
than amanda is your actor :)

I would say that the issue of loyalty doesn't rest with the actors.:rolleyes:

All of them have shown remarkable loyalty towards Stargate. CB would no doubt be more than willing to appear in the next movie if a part was written for her. She has stated repeatedly just how much she enjoyed working on the show.

Automission
January 15th, 2009, 08:01 AM
For the people who would like to see Vala in the SG1 movies, in case you are not reading the support thread, we have a petition going.

Support Vala for the SG1 movies (http://www.petitiononline.com/savevala/petition.html)
Feel free to sign with your username if you don't want to give out your name. All that matters is we get your signature down if you liked seeing Vala in the show. :)

flynn1959
January 20th, 2009, 12:41 PM
For the people who would like to see Vala in the SG1 movies, in case you are not reading the support thread, we have a petition going.

Support Vala for the SG1 movies (http://www.petitiononline.com/savevala/petition.html)
Feel free to sign with your username if you don't want to give out your name. All that matters is we get your signature down if you liked seeing Vala in the show. :)

Just found this, and am going over to sign it now.:)

Automission
January 20th, 2009, 12:54 PM
Brilliant. :) We need as many signatures as possible really, so let your stargate friends know!

Integrabyte
January 20th, 2009, 03:53 PM
138!!!

the fifth man
January 20th, 2009, 06:28 PM
I love the Vala character, but am not overly bothered that she won't be in the next movie. I'm sure she'll be in the one after that. Simply put, Brad Wright wasn't as involved in SG1 when she was a major player, and since he's helping to write the thing, probably doesn't have a good enough feel for her to appropriately depict her. So, at least for his run around the block, she won't be in it. Assuming a 4th SG1 movie is made, she'll be back.

I certainly hope that is the case.

magictrick
January 21st, 2009, 07:29 PM
I certainly hope that is the case.

Me too. I was really disappointed to hear the news that Claudia will not reprise the role of Vala in the 3rd movie. I hope they do continue to produce more movies so that we will get to see more of Vala.

jad232
January 27th, 2009, 01:59 PM
i want to start this thread by saying how happy i am that claudia will be the voice of Chloe Frazer in uncharted 2: among thieves.

this is amazing because uncharted 1 was one of my favourite games, and im even more exicted about getting uncharted 2 now because shes voicing in it.

but why is claudia not in the third sg1 movie
shes a great member of the team and should be there because the vala and daniel relationship makes me laugh and i enjoy her character in general.

:vala::daniel:

Laxian of Earth
January 27th, 2009, 02:34 PM
well, dear old me again....

as for vala in the movies (any of them):

i am glad that this doom seems to have been avoided (i dislike her - nothing more to be said about it).

even mitchell would not be necessary for any of the movies (the "old" team would suffice), but there is the fact that i like CAM :) (reminds me of a much younger JACK O'NEILL without much of the old ones prejudices) and that he now leads the team.

vala is just a tag along (like a lost puppy following you if you feed it, it even fits the character. no one seems to care for her and so she has lost the right path...on earth she would have landed herself in prison very often and would be serving long time) and she is not needed (what can she do for the team? steal things? if the need to they can do that themselves, thank you very much)
<Mod snip>

greetings, LAX

WishIwasJoes
January 27th, 2009, 04:29 PM
I really liked Vala. She is the reason I started watching Stargate. My husband and I have since bought the season ten boxed set and I think her humor was badly needed since Cam was just not funny at all. Also her and Shanks, when giving the proper writing, had a wonderful tag team thing going. I loved how she got under his skin and it added a new layer to his charater instead of fast talking and deep understanding.

She will be missed imho. :) :vala: :daniel:

CaramelMonkey
February 5th, 2009, 05:44 PM
I really liked Vala. She is the reason I started watching Stargate. My husband and I have since bought the season ten boxed set and I think her humor was badly needed since Cam was just not funny at all. Also her and Shanks, when giving the proper writing, had a wonderful tag team thing going. I loved how she got under his skin and it added a new layer to his charater instead of fast talking and deep understanding.

She will be missed imho. :) :vala: :daniel:

I agree! The humour on SG1 had gone down really badly when Jack left. The Jack/Daniel banter stopped, the sarcastic comments were gone... although there was still some Team humour, since Jack had rubbed off on everyone in the team, even Teal'c. :)

Then Cam came, and yes, he wasn't all that funny. He had his moments though... ("BULLETS BOUNCE!" Lmao...)

Vala brought back the banter. She's so funny! And it's so nice to watch how her character was explored. And from the episode "Memento Mori," you could see how much the team cares for her now.

IMHO of course. :P

Flyboy
February 6th, 2009, 10:44 AM
I agree! The humour on SG1 had gone down really badly when Jack left. The Jack/Daniel banter stopped, the sarcastic comments were gone... although there was still some Team humour, since Jack had rubbed off on everyone in the team, even Teal'c. :)

Then Cam came, and yes, he wasn't all that funny. He had his moments though... ("BULLETS BOUNCE!" Lmao...)

Vala brought back the banter. She's so funny! And it's so nice to watch how her character was explored. And from the episode "Memento Mori," you could see how much the team cares for her now.

IMHO of course. :P
Am I the ONLY person who watches Stargate INSPITE of the humour and not FOR it?

Automission
February 6th, 2009, 11:33 AM

Quite possibly, yes. Stargate has always been a humorous sci fi show, as opposed to dead pan BSG. People argue it was hardly humorous in the first seasons, but we all know first seasons are made to be changed!

Flyboy
February 6th, 2009, 11:36 AM
Quite possibly, yes. Stargate has always been a humorous sci fi show, as opposed to dead pan BSG. People argue it was hardly humorous in the first seasons, but we all know first seasons are made to be changed!
It had subtle humour in the first few seasons, I can't say which exactly, but I'd hazard a guess the first four, before it became ABOUT the humour. And certainly, the humour has increased to, (Imo) an almost unbearable level.

What do I like about Stargate? The plot, the concept (ie military + mythology), the setting, the politics... you know... I'd probably like it a whole lot more if it WAS as dead pan as BSG... (which still has some humour).

Automission
February 6th, 2009, 11:44 AM
Sounds like you've gone quite off from Stargate, Bennett. No doubt Universe will be the same. But I still like to argue the humour never feels as over the top as people claim it to be.
Each to his own I guess!

Flyboy
February 6th, 2009, 12:17 PM
Sounds like you've gone quite off from Stargate, Bennett. No doubt Universe will be the same. But I still like to argue the humour never feels as over the top as people claim it to be.
Each to his own I guess!
But I HAVEN'T...

I know it sounds like I have but...

I'm currently (slowly) rewatching Stargate from the beginning with my partner, and we're on mid S3 at the moment, and I really enjoy it. And I think The Ori arc is brilliant, despite my misgivings about continuing past S8. And I've watched Continuum numerous times. And in fact, the sheer lack of comedy per se in Continuum (despite some humerous moments) draws me to it.

I'm very eager to see SGU, I'm eager to buy the complete SGA boxset, and I own the complete SG1 boxset. But I still maintain, that which makes me enjoy it is that it's present day science fiction, with present day politics and present day military technology (another reason I love Continuum).

BUT... after having watched BSG From the Mini Series till the latest episode over the course of the past month or so... it's now cemented itself as my second favourite show ever (the first being The X-Files), and kicked Stargate down a peg or two, not just because it's taken it's place, but because it actually, to me, makes Stargate feel a little more absurd at times (not intending to turn this into the "I Prefer BSG" thread). Stargate SG1 and SGA are still in my top 5, but now it looks something like this:

The X-Files
Battlestar Galactica
Torchwood
Stargate SG-1/Atlantis
Doctor Who (although my love for Doctor Who The Movie is just under BSG)

As for the humour being over the top, I'd say it only started becoming over the top with S6 onwards for Jack specifically... and then S9 and 10 generally.

EDIT: Top 5 Sci Fi shows. All shows would involve slotting Spooks in just above Torchwood.

leiasky
February 6th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Vala was at her best when she was not a part of the team, (and torturing Daniel with her presence was enormously fun) just a recurring fun character. When she joined the team, it was too unbelievable. She had some good scenes, but the majority of them felt forced, like they needed to do something to include her.

I won't miss her in the next movie. But wouldn't care all too much if she was included (with something believable to do) either.

Madwelshboy
February 6th, 2009, 01:14 PM

No, I dont watch Stargate because but i enjoy the humour. It's part of Stargate's DNA, without the humour it just wouldnt be Stargate.

Flyboy
February 6th, 2009, 02:27 PM
No, I dont watch Stargate because but i enjoy the humour. It's part of Stargate's DNA, without the humour it just wouldnt be Stargate.
Well it would be. It was just be a Stargate closer in tone to the movie.

CaramelMonkey
February 6th, 2009, 03:52 PM

I have to agree. :P

Petra
February 7th, 2009, 04:17 AM

I'm the second person. Sort of. :D
I mean I like the humour, but I think one humorous episode per season is enough and I much, much more prefer the serious episodes, like "Abyss", "Reckoning", "Beneath the surface", "The other side" etc.
But there's always a question just what people consider to be "funny". Personally I was astonished when I read that "Nightwalkers" (s6) is a humorous ep, because I consider it to be serious and quite dark.

To get back on topic though: I like Vala, but I won't miss her in the movie. My feelings towards Vala are mixed. I mean I like her, but I absolutely don't buy her as a part of a team. She did nothing that would get her a place in any SG team, least of all SG-1. I'd love for her to be a recurring character, and to be season 9 Vala. In season 10 I liked her only when she was serious, and she was serious only with Tomin, so now that the Ori arc is over, I really can't see where would she fit in.

On the other note, I must say I'm happy that Mr bridges hasn't been approached about his appearance in the third movie yet. Nothing against the actor, but I can't stand Landry :(

Malviris
February 7th, 2009, 05:19 AM
I watch it for both the humor and everything else ......

Flyboy
February 7th, 2009, 06:11 AM
I'm the second person. Sort of. :D
I mean I like the humour, but I think one humorous episode per season is enough and I much, much more prefer the serious episodes, like "Abyss", "Reckoning", "Beneath the surface", "The other side" etc.
But there's always a question just what people consider to be "funny". Personally I was astonished when I read that "Nightwalkers" (s6) is a humorous ep, because I consider it to be serious and quite dark.

To get back on topic though: I like Vala, but I won't miss her in the movie. My feelings towards Vala are mixed. I mean I like her, but I absolutely don't buy her as a part of a team. She did nothing that would get her a place in any SG team, least of all SG-1. I'd love for her to be a recurring character, and to be season 9 Vala. In season 10 I liked her only when she was serious, and she was serious only with Tomin, so now that the Ori arc is over, I really can't see where would she fit in.

On the other note, I must say I'm happy that Mr bridges hasn't been approached about his appearance in the third movie yet. Nothing against the actor, but I can't stand Landry :(
Wow. I agree with you on entirely everything you said there. Including regarding Vala.

Except... for Landry. Landry happens to be my favourite of all of the SGC Commanding Officers.

Malviris
February 7th, 2009, 07:16 AM
Landry was pretty good but i liked O'neill better

Flyboy
February 7th, 2009, 07:22 AM
Landry was pretty good but i liked O'neill better
As the SGC CO? Really?

Replicator Todd
February 7th, 2009, 08:11 AM
I don't mind Vala not returning in the third movie, but if she isn't mentioned and is forgotten I wouldn't like that!

Egle01
February 7th, 2009, 08:14 AM
Except... for Landry. Landry happens to be my favourite of all of the SGC Commanding Officers.I've always preferred Hammond.

I don't mind Vala not returning in the third movie, but if she isn't mentioned and is forgotten I wouldn't like that!:indeed: My thoughts exactly.

Automission
February 7th, 2009, 08:18 AM
I've always preferred Hammond.

:indeed: My thoughts exactly.

I too preferred Hammond, Landry felt too committed to the job. With Hammond you saw he was concerned for SG1's safety when they didn't return, and while Landry has been the same, it always felt like he was concerned as he might lose his job if he lost the flagship team. :p

As for Vala, I will miss her in the movie, but I agree if she is never mentioned and never seen again, I will be annoyed.

Commander Zelix
February 7th, 2009, 05:22 PM
I read in another thread that Vala probably will not be in the next Stargate SG1 movie. I think its very unfortunate. She was a good character. She was providing something special to the team as a character due to her personality. Would have love to see her interact with Jack.

RealmOfX
February 7th, 2009, 05:31 PM

Nope

I read in another thread that Vala probably will not be in the next Stargate SG1 movie. I think its very unfortunate. She was a good character. She was providing something special to the team as a character due to her personality. Would have love to see her interact with Jack.

Whereas I hold a totally opposite opinion

Mandysg1
February 7th, 2009, 05:40 PM

Maybe that's one of the reasons she's not in the movie, because Jack would never put up with her antics.

CaramelMonkey
February 7th, 2009, 06:25 PM
Maybe that's one of the reasons she's not in the movie, because Jack would never put up with her antics.

Really? I always thought that her and Jack would get along really well, once they got to know each other. I always saw them to be kinda similar, with the whole "bickering with Daniel" thing.

leiasky
February 7th, 2009, 06:25 PM

I agree. But maybe it would be fun to see him put her in her place because of her antics. . .

amconway
February 7th, 2009, 06:41 PM
I always saw them to be kinda similar, with the whole "bickering with Daniel" thing.

To me, the bickering comes from a very different place with each of them. Jack's come more out of concern for Daniel, and frustration with what he sees as unnecessary risk and delay. Vala's comes from an enjoyment of Daniel's discomfort and attempts to manipulate. To be charitable, she may also be attempting to amuse him in an ill-conceived way. But they're not the same thing at all...

CaramelMonkey
February 7th, 2009, 06:55 PM
To me, the bickering comes from a very different place with each of them. Jack's come more out of concern for Daniel, and frustration with what he sees as unnecessary risk and delay. Vala's comes from an enjoyment of Daniel's discomfort and attempts to manipulate. To be charitable, she may also be attempting to amuse him in an ill-conceived way. But they're not the same thing at all...

Ohh...that's true. Been reading too much fanfiction. Lmao.

But in the later seasons, the Daniel/Vala bickering toned down significantly...if I recall correctly.

amconway
February 7th, 2009, 07:06 PM
But in the later seasons, the Daniel/Vala bickering toned down significantly...if I recall correctly.

True. That was the point (end of season 9, and season 10) when they moved away from their initial plan of only having her there temporarily. They had to tone it down to allow Daniel some possibility of getting work done, and to prevent him from having an aneurysm. ;)

the fifth man
February 7th, 2009, 08:08 PM
True. That was the point (end of season 9, and season 10) when they moved away from their initial plan of only having her there temporarily. They had to tone it down to allow Daniel some possibility of getting work done, and to prevent him from having an aneurysm. ;)

Or strangling her.;)

amconway
February 7th, 2009, 08:21 PM
Or strangling her.
Yes, having Daniel murder Vala in a fit of rage is not the kind of character development they were going for... ;)

Replicator Todd
February 7th, 2009, 08:34 PM
Daniel could just simply ascened to get away from her. No strangling needed! :p Seeing Vala and Jack making jokes together would be quite an awesome experience to behold.

CaramelMonkey
February 7th, 2009, 08:35 PM
Daniel could just simply ascened to get away from her. No strangling needed! :p Seeing Vala and Jack making jokes together would be quite an awesome experience to behold.

That'd be awesome. I'd also like to see more Vala/Sam friendship.^^

amconway
February 7th, 2009, 08:37 PM
Daniel could just simply ascened to get away from her. No strangling needed! :p

You really shouldn't have to flee the plane of the living to get away from a co-worker. ;)

suse
February 7th, 2009, 09:02 PM

They knew early on that she was coming back
http://www.gateworld.net/interviews/i_claudia.shtml

CB: Rob was very honest with me from the very beginning. He expressed what his desire was and what his intentions were. He said, "You know, I would love ultimately to have you back. I don't know in what exact capacity, but this character has brought something very interesting to the show, and we'd like to workshop some possibilities."

They didn't know if SG-1 would continue as an entity, and so they said, "If we did some sort of spin-off would you be interested in working with some of the existing cast if they were interested in coming back?" So I knew he wasn't just blowing smoke – he was wanting to make sure I wasn't scattering off somewhere to work on something else, and wanted me to understand that he really did want to employ me again.

And luckily SCI FI Channel, because with my previous experience some things just don't get renewed – you can't count on it! – they were renewed for Season Ten. So that made it possible for them. They wanted to bring me back again potentially permanently in Season Nine, but I had my own personal reasons for not being able to join the show permanently. And now we've relocated to do this for the season.

If Vala was more like she was in some eps of S10 (or CB played Quetesh again) I wouldn't mind her on. As long as she wasn't the focus she was for so much of the series when she was on.

suse

the fifth man
February 7th, 2009, 09:11 PM
You really shouldn't have to flee the plane of the living to get away from a co-worker. ;)

Yeah, I'll give you that.:)

Infinite-Possibilities
February 8th, 2009, 12:39 AM
Did Vala and Jack ever really meet before? I know they were sorta around at the beginning of Continuum, but did how much dialogue have they ever exchanged? I had hoped this movie would be an opportunity to do so. Even a little. :( She wouldn't have even had to be in the movie long for a short memorable scene.

CaramelMonkey
February 8th, 2009, 02:27 AM
Did Vala and Jack ever really meet before? I know they were sorta around at the beginning of Continuum, but did how much dialogue have they ever exchanged? I had hoped this movie would be an opportunity to do so. Even a little. :( She wouldn't have even had to be in the movie long for a short memorable scene.

Yeahh! I think Jack said something to her in the 200th episode but I can't be sure...

I really really want Jack/Vala screentime!

Petra
February 8th, 2009, 05:58 AM
Wow. I agree with you on entirely everything you said there. Including regarding Vala.

:)

Except... for Landry. Landry happens to be my favourite of all of the SGC Commanding Officers.

There is a thread about SGC's COs in General Discussion Folder, so I probably shouldn't get into this here..oh, well :D

Could you explain why you like him so much? I'm curious, because all I can see is a condescending bufoon with a huge ego who talks down to people and is a really bad decision maker. Right from the start he acts like he deserves every ounce of respect that Hammond and O'Neill had - or rather earned. Yet he hasn't done anything especially respect-worthy till now. It's not a character bashing, but I have so many issues with Landry that I don't even know where to start. So, off the top of my head:
why did he give Vala a place on SG-1 team?
why did he put Mitchell in command of SG-1 team without prior training?
why didn't he listen to Sam, his expert, when she said the weapon wasn't ready to be tested in LitS?
why did he mock president Hayes, who had been established as a good guy on our side?
why didn't he release symbiote poison immediately in "Insiders"?
why did he imply improper relations between Sam and Orlin (when he took a form of a child)? publicly?
why was he even in command of a ship in "Unending", instead of at the SGC?

plus I hate it when the writers try to show us how close he is with SG-1. vacation together? the whole "Teal'c is a family" speech when he hardly knows Teal'c? Please.
I don't know any real life soldiers/officers, but I have a hard time believing they behave like this. so, umm, yeah..I gues it's obvious I'm not a fan of the character, huh? :o

And to be completely honest and fair, as much as I love Jack, I'm also not too crazy about the way he was shown as SGC's CO. There is no way that after 7 years of being SGC's 2IC he'd be so clueless. And the joke about him never even opening the drawers in his desk...I won't even comment on this.
Still, he must have been smarter than he pretended, cos he somehow managed to keep SGC running and to avoid any catastrophies. ;)

Hammond was the best. :)

And to keep this post even remotely on topic..
I'm on the fence as for Jack/Vala dynamic. I'm inclined to agree they have similar personalities - at least as far as their "covers" are concerned (Jack's supposed stupidity, Vala's overt sexuality) - and their banter could be amusing. On the other hand I also agree that Jack would be distrustful towards her and wouldn't let her on the team in the first place, and wouldn't tolerate her disrepecting him/ anyone else on the team. So, I don't know..

Colonel Forte
February 8th, 2009, 06:42 AM
Well it would be. It was just be a Stargate closer in tone to the movie.

Yet, while the movie did start the whole thing, Robert Cooper and Brad Wright could arguably be more responsible for making Stargate a phenomena than Roland Emmerich and Dean Devlin. RC and BW made deliberate changes from the film to the pilot (names, locations, physics) so it's entirely possible they never intended for the movie to be an anchor for the show. I enjoyed the movie immensely and loved it's tone, and while it wasn't deliberately humorous, it had humorous moments that felt natural. I never felt that the humor of the show was anything different, the humor always seemed like what a quick-witted, smart-alecky person might say which is what RDA and Michael Shanks made their characters into. Amanda Tapping, Chris Judge and Ben Browder too (I disagree that Cam wasn't funny, he was just more subtle than smart-alecky). Perhaps Vala's introduction as a foil for Daniel was a bit forced, I can admit that, especially when she was permanently added to the cast. I got the impression though that she won't be in the third film because Claudia Black chose not to, not because of any writing or production issue. (See how I brought it all back to topic? :daniel:)

Flyboy
February 8th, 2009, 08:30 AM
:)

Could you explain why you like him so much? I'm curious, because all I can see is a condescending bufoon with a huge ego who talks down to people and is a really bad decision maker. Right from the start he acts like he deserves every ounce of respect that Hammond and O'Neill had - or rather earned. Yet he hasn't done anything especially respect-worthy till now. It's not a character bashing, but I have so many issues with Landry that I don't even know where to start. So, off the top of my head:
why did he give Vala a place on SG-1 team?
why did he put Mitchell in command of SG-1 team without prior training?
why didn't he listen to Sam, his expert, when she said the weapon wasn't ready to be tested in LitS?
why did he mock president Hayes, who had been established as a good guy on our side?
why didn't he release symbiote poison immediately in "Insiders"?
why did he imply improper relations between Sam and Orlin (when he took a form of a child)? publicly?
why was he even in command of a ship in "Unending", instead of at the SGC?

plus I hate it when the writers try to show us how close he is with SG-1. vacation together? the whole "Teal'c is a family" speech when he hardly knows Teal'c? Please.
I don't know any real life soldiers/officers, but I have a hard time believing they behave like this. so, umm, yeah..I gues it's obvious I'm not a fan of the character, huh? :o

And to be completely honest and fair, as much as I love Jack, I'm also not too crazy about the way he was shown as SGC's CO. There is no way that after 7 years of being SGC's 2IC he'd be so clueless. And the joke about him never even opening the drawers in his desk...I won't even comment on this.
Still, he must have been smarter than he pretended, cos he somehow managed to keep SGC running and to avoid any catastrophies. ;)

Hammond was the best. :)

And to keep this post even remotely on topic..
I'm on the fence as for Jack/Vala dynamic. I'm inclined to agree they have similar personalities - at least as far as their "covers" are concerned (Jack's supposed stupidity, Vala's overt sexuality) - and their banter could be amusing. On the other hand I also agree that Jack would be distrustful towards her and wouldn't let her on the team in the first place, and wouldn't tolerate her disrepecting him/ anyone else on the team. So, I don't know..

Well firstly it's largely his presence. He has the presence of being a USAF General. It's a minor thing, but he appears believable, compared to Hammond. It might be a combination of the fact he's always wearing a shirt and tie, and just his build, but it's there. Secondly, it's that he's imperfect. He's a General, he's not always going to be totally likable. You've mentioned a lot of flaws - and frankly, I prefer imperfect, flawed characters, as perfection does NOT exist. I imagine he acted like he deserved respect from the start because, well, he's a Major General. Yes respect has to be earned, but even still, at 2* level you're likely to have done a lot of that already - and he did things his way and people warmed to him.

Why did he put Vala on the team? Well why did Hammond allow Teal'c on the team? Or even Carter who frankly, was too much of an asset to risk losing in combat - or even Daniel who would have been less experienced than Vala when he first joined.

As for Mitchell, I doubt it was his call. I mean, I personally have issues with Mitchell leading SG1 as he's a pilot, but it appears the call was made by O'Neill, so let's criticise HIM for that one.

I haven't seen LitS for a while so I can't comment there.

Military personnel mock politicians all the time, simply because they're politicians. That's just the way it is.

Regarding Orlin, it was probably because he himself was confused. Either that or he's a git. And unless I'm mistaken, in Unending, he wasn;t commanding the ship, but he was there as an official representative for an important meeting.

There's all kinds of military officers. Some, like my boss, are far more like Hammond, others are more like Landry. Though I've never met a Squadron or Station CO quite like O'Neill....

Petra
February 8th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Well firstly it's largely his presence. He has the presence of being a USAF General. It's a minor thing, but he appears believable, compared to Hammond. It might be a combination of the fact he's always wearing a shirt and tie, and just his build, but it's there. Secondly, it's that he's imperfect. He's a General, he's not always going to be totally likable. You've mentioned a lot of flaws - and frankly, I prefer imperfect, flawed characters, as perfection does NOT exist. I imagine he acted like he deserved respect from the start because, well, he's a Major General. Yes respect has to be earned, but even still, at 2* level you're likely to have done a lot of that already - and he did things his way and people warmed to him. First of all, thanks for replying. :)
I won't argue about "having a presence". For one, it's one of those subjective things - I don't see it, for example - but then again, you, being in the military, have probably a better idea of what a commander with presence acts like. ;)

I'd like to clear something up. It's not that I don't like Landry because he's flawed - SG-1 members are flawed, Maybourne :D is flawed; and I still like them all. The thing is, he makes dumb decisions, like not releasing that symbiote poison. You can't tell me that Hammond or Jack would have acted the same.

Explaining my issue with respecting Landry is going to be tricky. I kind of expected your reply, and you are right. He can expect a respect from those under his command because he's a general. But I, as a viewer, am not his subordinate and I don't see why I would respect this particular character. Am I making any sense? :o

Why did he put Vala on the team? Well why did Hammond allow Teal'c on the team? Or even Carter who frankly, was too much of an asset to risk losing in combat - or even Daniel who would have been less experienced than Vala when he first joined.

Yeah, putting Carter and Daniel on the team was a bit of a stretch. But you can't seriously compare them, the best Earth scientists, and Teal'c, who brought with him a wealth of knowledge about Earth's worst enemies and was a great warrior himself with Vala - space pirate and a theif, can you?

As for Mitchell, I doubt it was his call. I mean, I personally have issues with Mitchell leading SG1 as he's a pilot, but it appears the call was made by O'Neill, so let's criticise HIM for that one.

Ok, I have issues with Mitchell in command of SG-1 as well, so I won't say anything else on the subject, cos it's bound to get ugly. ;)

I haven't seen LitS for a while so I can't comment there.

Military personnel mock politicians all the time, simply because they're politicians. That's just the way it is.

Regarding Orlin, it was probably because he himself was confused. Either that or he's a git. And unless I'm mistaken, in Unending, he wasn;t commanding the ship, but he was there as an official representative for an important meeting.

Actually I haven't seen Unending since it first aired, so I'm not going to argue if you say Landry wasn't in command of the ship, but this is how I remembered it. But still, why would he be an official representative to the race he had never previously met? Jack would be so much more appropriate...but then again, these are issues I have with the episode itself, so I'll stop now. :)

There's all kinds of military officers. Some, like my boss, are far more like Hammond, others are more like Landry. Though I've never met a Squadron or Station CO quite like O'Neill....

Somehow, it doesn't surprise me..:D
But seriously, there are officers like Hammond? I kind of think he's perfect..maybe even too perfect..

*Aga gives up any pretense of writing about Vala on this thread. For now. ;)*

Flyboy
February 8th, 2009, 01:40 PM
First of all, thanks for replying. :)
I won't argue about "having a presence". For one, it's one of those subjective things - I don't see it, for example - but then again, you, being in the military, have probably a better idea of what a commander with presence acts like. ;)

I'd like to clear something up. It's not that I don't like Landry because he's flawed - SG-1 members are flawed, Maybourne :D is flawed; and I still like them all. The thing is, he makes dumb decisions, like not releasing that symbiote poison. You can't tell me that Hammond or Jack would have acted the same.

Explaining my issue with respecting Landry is going to be tricky. I kind of expected your reply, and you are right. He can expect a respect from those under his command because he's a general. But I, as a viewer, am not his subordinate and I don't see why I would respect this particular character. Am I making any sense? :o

Yeah, putting Carter and Daniel on the team was a bit of a stretch. But you can't seriously compare them, the best Earth scientists, and Teal'c, who brought with him a wealth of knowledge about Earth's worst enemies and was a great warrior himself with Vala - space pirate and a theif, can you?

Ok, I have issues with Mitchell in command of SG-1 as well, so I won't say anything else on the subject, cos it's bound to get ugly. ;)

Actually I haven't seen Unending since it first aired, so I'm not going to argue if you say Landry wasn't in command of the ship, but this is how I remembered it. But still, why would he be an official representative to the race he had never previously met? Jack would be so much more appropriate...but then again, these are issues I have with the episode itself, so I'll stop now. :)

Somehow, it doesn't surprise me..:D
But seriously, there are officers like Hammond? I kind of think he's perfect..maybe even too perfect..

*Aga gives up any pretense of writing about Vala on this thread. For now. ;)*
I wish I could comment about the symbiote poison,I know he DOES use it, but evidentally you say not at first, I'd have to rewatch the episode. I see what you mean about Landry and the respect though. For us, he does indeed need to earn our respect, and no officer (imo) should ever believe he's automatically ENTITLED to respect. But then, we have no idea exactly how long Landry had been at the SGC certainly less than a year, but still... maybe it's a flaw of his that he seemed to demand such respect, but again, maybe he's so used to having had that respect he's forgotten that 2 stars does not automaitcally equal respect.

I believe Landry has earned my respect over S9-Continuum, particularly in his little rant to Carter and Co in the Hanger in the latter movie. But I couldn't tell you what specifically during the show - simply because It's been a while since I've watched those seasons. In a lot of instances he's made tough calls, but ones I would argue are ultimatly right (symbiote poison not withstanding), despite the fact they may not have come from the heart. Landry doesn't have the same connection to Sg1 as Hammond did, and whilst I think any CO needs to value and care for those under his command, in drastic situations sometimes, in practice, a more pragmatic approach is required...

Granted, I can't compare Daniel and Carter to putting Vala on the team. But I can compare Teal'c, putting the Military commander of your enemy's army on your flagship team? Ridiculous.

Yes, O'Neill probably should have been on the ship to meet the Asgard, but then realistically, TPTB probably couldn't afford RDA. But I believe a senior officer like Landry was required.

Maybe not like Hammond exactly, but my Boss does indeed remind me of him to a degree, just in subtle ways and the manner in which his people are important to him, but of course, he's not running a Stargate programme - so the comparisons can't be exact. ;)

leiasky
February 8th, 2009, 03:07 PM
I think my biggest issue with not enjoying the new cast members (Cam, Landry, Vala) is because they tried too hard to 'tell' us to like them instead of have the viewers 'grow' to like them through the experiences through the seasons.

Does that make any sense?

If not, how about this.

For me its the difference between writing a book (which is heavy on description to get its point across) and writing a script (which explains a lot of what's happening through dialogue).

SG-1 seaon's 1-8 were a nice, long, gritty, involving novel. And Season's 9-10 were a poorly written and conceived, unbelievable script.

Khentkawes
February 8th, 2009, 03:30 PM
I think my biggest issue with not enjoying the new cast members (Cam, Landry, Vala) is because they tried too hard to 'tell' us to like them instead of have the viewers 'grow' to like them through the experiences through the seasons.

Well, oddly enough, that's one of the reasons that Sam is not one of my favorite characters... I felt like the show tried to tell me what a brilliant scientist she was, what a wonderful leader, what an exceptional fighter, what a charming woman, what a perfect military officer, etc. And while I think her brilliance as a scientist was definitely shown in the show, the rest was never shown, just told. I felt like I was being told that I should like Sam because she was the feminist ideal of a smart/authoritative/independent woman who was still sexy/charming/feminine. And I never saw all of that. I just heard a lot about it.

So what is "shown" versus what is "told" is probably somewhat subjective. Which should be obvious, since I'm sure you will disagree with everything that I just said. ;)

amconway
February 8th, 2009, 03:48 PM
So what is "shown" versus what is "told" is probably somewhat subjective.
Yep. Definately subjective, since I didn't feel like I was being 'told' to like anyone. Writers like their character--that's just a given. I agreed with them for the most part. I liked everyone on the classic team. I liked Cam simply because I found him likable. I didn't much care for Vala, because her behavior irritated, and occasionally, made me actually dislike her. I came to have more empathy with her over time as they toned down the bickering, baiting, and stealing. None of my reactions were because I felt like I was being 'told' what to feel. They just present the character. It's up to us to like them or not.

Flyboy
February 8th, 2009, 05:29 PM
Well, oddly enough, that's one of the reasons that Sam is not one of my favorite characters... I felt like the show tried to tell me what a brilliant scientist she was, what a wonderful leader, what an exceptional fighter, what a charming woman, what a perfect military officer, etc. And while I think her brilliance as a scientist was definitely shown in the show, the rest was never shown, just told. I felt like I was being told that I should like Sam because she was the feminist ideal of a smart/authoritative/independent woman who was still sexy/charming/feminine. And I never saw all of that. I just heard a lot about it.

So what is "shown" versus what is "told" is probably somewhat subjective. Which should be obvious, since I'm sure you will disagree with everything that I just said. ;)
I agree.

I certainly don't dislike S1-8, SGA and Continuum Sam, but seriously... she's a great scientist - I get that, but why are they trying to force us to believe that she is perfection. All those things that you mention.

leiasky
February 8th, 2009, 05:36 PM

I do disagree, but that's ok:)

I felt like I was being told to like the new characters, and why (Teal'c 'telling us' that Mitchell reminded him of O'Neill being the most memorable nausea inducing comment) but not everyone feels the same:)

CaramelMonkey
February 8th, 2009, 07:48 PM
I do disagree, but that's ok:)

I felt like I was being told to like the new characters, and why (Teal'c 'telling us' that Mitchell reminded him of O'Neill being the most memorable nausea inducing comment) but not everyone feels the same:)

That's true. But they're still likeable characters. I didn't feel like I was being told to like Vala, she was a theif and a con-artist! Some people still dislike her...but I personally love her as a character. :D

leiasky
February 8th, 2009, 09:14 PM
I loved her when she was introduced. The was a perfect foil for Daniel. His head nearly imploding on a daily basis was fun to see:)

I loved the episode where they were stranded on the ship. I just wish she hadn't been made a regular cast member. There wasn't enough believable stuff for her to do:(

amconway
February 8th, 2009, 09:48 PM
I loved her when she was introduced. The was a perfect foil for Daniel. His head nearly imploding on a daily basis was fun to see:)

I really couldn't bear that. I found it quite difficult to watch. To me it seemed like all the humor was suddenly based on a character's discomfort and irritation, and I really didn't like it.

I loved the episode where they were stranded on the ship.

I liked that one, but that was about as much as I wanted to see her. Maybe the occasional guest episode like Maybourne, but that's about it.

I just wish she hadn't been made a regular cast member. There wasn't enough believable stuff for her to do:(

Agreed. If they were going to bring her in, they should have added a skill set that fit in better with the team and the kind of things that SG-1 does.

Malviris
February 8th, 2009, 11:08 PM
One thing that she could bring to the team would be pure humor and an extortion skill hehe

amconway
February 9th, 2009, 10:29 PM
One thing that she could bring to the team would be pure humor and an extortion skill hehe

;) Well, except that extortion really isn't a skill that good guys can make use of--and the humor, there's not total agreement on that front... Besides, no one gets and keeps a job just for being amusing, not unless Daddy owns the company...

CaramelMonkey
February 10th, 2009, 01:52 AM

I loved the episode where they were stranded on the ship. I just wish she hadn't been made a regular cast member. There wasn't enough believable stuff for her to do:(

Well, for starters, she was the mother of the Orici...

AND there was the fact that she really wanted to fit in, and she grew on them. Like mold...:D You could tell in "Memento Mori."

She has SOME skills. She's good at flying ships, fighting...(as we saw in PU with Daniel :P) she's funny, AND she can sweet talk.

Works for me! :)

leiasky
February 10th, 2009, 08:39 AM
Works for me! :)

As it does for many. Just not for me:)

Her dynamic with the rest of SG-1 worked much better when she guest starred.

The episode with Daniel and the bondage bracelets was highly amusing. :)

HPMom
February 16th, 2009, 05:27 PM
I agree.

I certainly don't dislike S1-8, SGA and Continuum Sam, but seriously... she's a great scientist - I get that, but why are they trying to force us to believe that she is perfection. All those things that you mention.

I like Sam a lot, but the one thing that drove me crazy was that every male that encountered her fell in love with her. It's okay to happen now and again, but I would love a count of how many aliens and tau'ris had unrequited love for her. I think they got a little carried away with that.

amconway
February 16th, 2009, 06:33 PM
I like Sam a lot, but the one thing that drove me crazy was that every male that encountered her fell in love with her. It's okay to happen now and again, but I would love a count of how many aliens and tau'ris had unrequited love for her. I think they got a little carried away with that.

That applies to Daniel, as well. Sam was just luckier in that the men she encountered weren't as evil, drug addicted, or generally bad as the women that went after Daniel. Poor Guy, he had the worst luck. ;)

CaramelMonkey
February 16th, 2009, 06:51 PM
That applies to Daniel, as well. Sam was just luckier in that the men she encountered weren't as evil, drug addicted, or generally bad as the women that went after Daniel. Poor Guy, he had the worst luck. ;)

Yeah that's true. Except some of the women fell for Jack aswell, so...yeah.

It's hard not to fall in love with Daniel though. :P

SavetheGate
February 17th, 2009, 12:32 PM
Aw man, that just sucks.

heliosphere
February 17th, 2009, 02:37 PM

Okay, this is probably an OT tangent, but I do think you have a point with this, because the every guy loves Sam thing always drove me crazy. And they didn't do that to Vala, which I found interesting. And I know they had women crushing on Jack and Daniel and Jonas and Cameron (and Teal'c is an entire other planet of dawg), but it wasn't the same thing or in the same amounts.

Actually, now that I think about it, there are somethings which do concern me. I have seen (I do not believe these btw) arguments that because Sam was the preferred female character for the writers, Vala is seen as competition for main female attention on the show. Sci-fi is not particularly female-friendly as most casts are heavily skewed male anyhow. The whole, "you're just a backup singer" comment from Beachhead probably doesn't help in that case. (and I find it hard to believe Sam would really say that, but that's another thread :()

I really hope eliminating Vala from the film storyline doesn't give support to that theory that they can only truly focus on one female. That would be kind of sad, because I liked that Sam had another woman to interact with. And it would be a sad statement on the writers' parts if it's because Sam is their quintessential female character for SG-1 and they feel there is no point in including others.

I do find Vala annoying at times, and I don't like some of her characterization, but I don't want her to get completely marginalized from the series. And on a more selfish note, it seemed like they let Daniel have more focus when they gave Vala more to do, so I don't want him to get pushed back into the wall either just because they've pulled Vala out of the picture. That'd make me sad too.

CaramelMonkey
February 17th, 2009, 07:19 PM
Okay, this is probably an OT tangent, but I do think you have a point with this, because the every guy loves Sam thing always drove me crazy. And they didn't do that to Vala, which I found interesting. And I know they had women crushing on Jack and Daniel and Jonas and Cameron (and Teal'c is an entire other planet of dawg), but it wasn't the same thing or in the same amounts.

Actually, now that I think about it, there are somethings which do concern me. I have seen (I do not believe these btw) arguments that because Sam was the preferred female character for the writers, Vala is seen as competition for main female attention on the show. Sci-fi is not particularly female-friendly as most casts are heavily skewed male anyhow. The whole, "you're just a backup singer" comment from Beachhead probably doesn't help in that case. (and I find it hard to believe Sam would really say that, but that's another thread :()

I really hope eliminating Vala from the film storyline doesn't give support to that theory that they can only truly focus on one female. That would be kind of sad, because I liked that Sam had another woman to interact with. And it would be a sad statement on the writers' parts if it's because Sam is their quintessential female character for SG-1 and they feel there is no point in including others.

I do find Vala annoying at times, and I don't like some of her characterization, but I don't want her to get completely marginalized from the series. And on a more selfish note, it seemed like they let Daniel have more focus when they gave Vala more to do, so I don't want him to get pushed back into the wall either just because they've pulled Vala out of the picture. That'd make me sad too.

:indeed: ><

Melora
February 17th, 2009, 08:59 PM

It did get annoying sometimes, but at least she remained professional and didn't flirt and sleep around with all of them. The boys all saw a lot more action than she did. ;)

Vala also had plenty of admirers - the guy from TTTB, Tomin, Daniel, Ba'al, and I'm sure I'm forgetting some. Considering Sam's romantic interests were spread over ten years, I think Vala got her fair share. Besides, they all had a lot of romantic interests b/c that is an easy way to tie a guest character to the main cast and story. It's a plot device.

She didn't say that exactly. Someone was talking about Cam "getting the band back together" and Sam said, "What's with the backup singer?" It was a joke that some people took way too seriously, mostly b/c they like to think the worst about Sam. I never saw it as an insult or that Sam was trying to belittle or demean Vala in any way. In fact, Daniel and guys treated Vala much more poorly in that episode. I felt really sorry for her with the way the boys all snipped at her. It's one of the reasons that I don't really like that ep all that much. :(

It only has validity if you chose to see it that way. TPTB had no trouble writing for two female characters when it was Sam and Janet in an episode together. They had no trouble when there was an episode that had Sam and a featured guest female character (ex. Ethon). I doubt they would have had any trouble having Sam and another woman on the team if they both had a clearly defined purpose in terms of importance to the story and basic role on the team. For example, had Jonas been a woman I think having both Sam and girl!Jonas would have worked beautifully.

My personal theory is that TPTB had trouble focusing on any other character (male or female) when Vala was around in Seasons 9+10, with the exception of Daniel perhaps. I felt that Sam, Teal'c, and even Cam were wallpapered for most of Season 10 as a result. She is just a larger than life character and it is hard to make her not be the center of attention. Even when she was supposed to be a secondary character in an episode, she always made her presence known b/c she was not good at being ignored. It would be very difficult to push her into the background. That's just how the character is. Perhaps that's why BW felt that Vala wasn't needed in the next film and why he wrote her as Quetesh in Continuum - maybe he wanted to separate her from the team so he could mainly focus on the other team members. If Vala was in the team scenes, she probably would have dominated them.

I have no doubt that Daniel will still have a lot to do in the movie, even without Vala around to bug him. :P

Vala is a fun, entertaining character who would be great as a focal character in a movie. I just don't think she works all that well as part of an ensemble. But if people think Vala is being left out to make room for Sam, that is their prerogative. But I personally think Vala being left out has nothing to do with her being female and it has nothing to do with Sam. ;)

amconway
February 17th, 2009, 09:21 PM
I have no doubt that Daniel will still have a lot to do in the movie, even without Vala around to bug him. :P
More! He'll actually be able to get some work done. ;)

Vala is a fun, entertaining character who would be great as a focal character in a movie. I just don't think she works all that well as part of an ensemble. But if people think Vala is being left out to make room for Sam, that is their prerogative. I personally think Vala being left out has nothing to do with her being female and it has nothing to do with Sam. ;)
I absolutely agree with this. To me, it's entirely about the way the character works. She's less realistic than the other characters and tends to take focus, which skews things unless your purpose is that type of humor--or you significantly change the character.

HPMom
February 18th, 2009, 05:37 AM
And on a more selfish note, it seemed like they let Daniel have more focus when they gave Vala more to do, so I don't want him to get pushed back into the wall either just because they've pulled Vala out of the picture. That'd make me sad too.

This is interesting because the biggest problem I have with Vala is that when they continually pair her with Daniel it marginalizes Daniel. He becomes this petty snippy kid. I like to see some of that, but it's just over the top when Vala is around. I look forward to he and Jack doing the dance they do in the next movie. I find their relationship more compelling. I hope they don't cut Daniel's roll down (he's my favorite character), but I also don't like when they make him look completely childish.

I feel like they kind of got themselves in a bind with the Vala character. They want the fun interaction between she and Daniel, but they've developed her character to a point that Daniel is just being mean. When she was first on and completely untrustworthy there was good reason for Daniel to act that way. But now that she's proven herself and been honorable, Daniel would not act so cruelly.

heliosphere
February 18th, 2009, 01:57 PM
This is interesting because the biggest problem I have with Vala is that when they continually pair her with Daniel it marginalizes Daniel. He becomes this petty snippy kid. I like to see some of that, but it's just over the top when Vala is around. I look forward to he and Jack doing the dance they do in the next movie. I find their relationship more compelling. I hope they don't cut Daniel's roll down (he's my favorite character), but I also don't like when they make him look completely childish.

Hmm. I definately see your point here. I think I was so excited at first that he was getting some sort of attention again from a woman who wasn't a complete evil psycho that I let a lot of it slide. But I think they changed the Vala characterization around so much that I liked certain parts of her with Daniel and just sort of let the rest roll off.

But, even though I do enjoy 9 and 10 in general, one of my big peeves is that Daniel seems angry quite a bit rather than just his usual snark (actually, he reminded me of Grouchy!Jack quite a bit). But he also had so many really amazing scenes with her as well. It really runs just so hot and cold with me with the extremes, and it seems to depend on which Vala is interacting with Daniel.

I think maybe I'm just afraid that without Vala, they really will cut Daniel's roll back. I'm hoping for Jack and Daniel interaction, but they might not do that if they are trying to shoot for a more Jack and Sam oriented thing.

I feel like they kind of got themselves in a bind with the Vala character. They want the fun interaction between she and Daniel, but they've developed her character to a point that Daniel is just being mean. When she was first on and completely untrustworthy there was good reason for Daniel to act that way. But now that she's proven herself and been honorable, Daniel would not act so cruelly.

I think this circles back with there being such a huge roller coaster with Vala's characterization. At some points, the frustration from Daniel seems valid, then they change Vala around, and his reactions seem out of proportion. (Though I am on the side of being very happy with the rant of Unending; I thought it was well done for my perception of Daniel's character.)

But other times? It does seem out of whack and uneven. They have this great scene with Momento Mori, for example, and then there's these scenes where she's dragging hair driers around with her or acting like a complete ditz when we've seen her much more savvy.

So I don't know. I would like her to be included in stories. They don't have to go with the ditzy characterization with her. There were parts of AoT and Continuum where I was rolling my eyes, and I don't always do that for Vala since I do like her and I do like seeing her paired with Daniel at times. But I don't want to see that for a whole movie, and I can see why they might want to leave her out of a film if the only thing they want to write about her is talking about being bored. There's more to Vala than the ditz side though, and I think it can be explored in a film if they felt like writing it.

It's not like Stargate is a historical record or something really happening. They're writing it, and they can just as easily write a story to include her than exclude her. They'll really have to show me why she couldn't be included in this film plotwise.

ShardsofGlass
February 18th, 2009, 02:44 PM
My personal theory is that TPTB had trouble focusing on any other character (male or female) when Vala was around in Seasons 9+10, with the exception of Daniel perhaps. I felt that Sam, Teal'c, and even Cam were wallpapered for most of Season 10 as a result. She is just a larger than life character and it is hard to make her not be the center of attention. Even when she was supposed to be a secondary character in an episode, she always made her presence known b/c she was not good at being ignored. It would be very difficult to push her into the background. That's just how the character is. Perhaps that's why BW felt that Vala wasn't needed in the next film and why he wrote her as Quetesh in Continuum - maybe he wanted to separate her from the team so he could mainly focus on the other team members. If Vala was in the team scenes, she probably would have dominated them.
Vala is a fun, entertaining character who would be great as a focal character in a movie. I just don't think she works all that well as part of an ensemble. But if people think Vala is being left out to make room for Sam, that is their prerogative. But I personally think Vala being left out has nothing to do with her being female and it has nothing to do with Sam. ;)

I totally agree. This is one of my biggest problems with Vala. She steals scenes -- and not in a good way. I like Claudia a lot, but I think, in trying to make Vala be the type of character who makes herself the center of attention all the time, she ended up upstaging the other actors a lot. And it drove me crazy.

A character like Vala is definitely hard to fit into a team because she's always looking out for herself and making herself the center of attention. THat can be a lot of fun to watch and see the others roll their eyes and have to deal with her -- in small doses. But I almost stopped watching S10 because of her. And I was overjoyed when she had a smaller role in the two movied.

I have to say I'm not upset at all taht she's not in the next movie.

amconway
February 18th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Daniel, but they've developed her character to a point that Daniel is just being mean. When she was first on and completely untrustworthy there was good reason for Daniel to act that way. But now that she's proven herself and been honorable, Daniel would not act so cruelly

I always thought that the times that Daniel was hard on her were times she deserved it. Her behavior was incredibly self-centered a lot of the time. The possible exception to that would be Unending, but she'd been so manipulative in the past, it was understandable. (and, of course, it never happened. ;) )

Melora
February 18th, 2009, 05:43 PM
I totally agree. This is one of my biggest problems with Vala. She steals scenes -- and not in a good way. I like Claudia a lot, but I think, in trying to make Vala be the type of character who makes herself the center of attention all the time, she ended up upstaging the other actors a lot. And it drove me crazy.

A character like Vala is definitely hard to fit into a team because she's always looking out for herself and making herself the center of attention. THat can be a lot of fun to watch and see the others roll their eyes and have to deal with her -- in small doses. But I almost stopped watching S10 because of her. And I was overjoyed when she had a smaller role in the two movied.

I have to say I'm not upset at all taht she's not in the next movie.

That's one of the things I really enjoyed about the movies, esp. in Continuum. It was refreshing to actually see Cam, Sam, and Daniel be the protagonists in the main story. It felt more like classic Stargate to me b/c there was much more of an ensemble feel. I did feel Teal'c was still wallpapered in the movies, but that is not something new. Besides, he got some of the best scenes and lines to make up for it. :)

In AoT, Vala was minimized and it was not good for the character. However, it was good for the rest of the characters - esp. Daniel. AoT showed that Vala could be a secondary character and not be the focus of the story. However, it also demonstrated the limited nature of the character IMO. As a focal character in Seasons 9+10, she was vivacious and fun and over the top. She brought great levity and humor to the show. At times, she brought great gravitas as well. But as a secondary character (like in AoT), she disappears into the background and doesn't really even have a useful role to play on the team. Even though I complain constantly about Sam being wallpapered in Seasons 9+10, she usually had something useful to contribute to the team and the plot (however minor).

HPMom
February 19th, 2009, 03:57 AM
But, even though I do enjoy 9 and 10 in general, one of my big peeves is that Daniel seems angry quite a bit rather than just his usual snark (actually, he reminded me of Grouchy!Jack quite a bit). But he also had so many really amazing scenes with her as well. It really runs just so hot and cold with me with the extremes, and it seems to depend on which Vala is interacting with Daniel.

I do love a good Daniel rant. My favorite is when he's reprimanding the teen girls in "Bad Guys". "You're hostages. This is like a life-and-death situation here. Start acting like it". He's so funny because even when he's trying to be tough his likability still comes through.

I did enjoy season 9 and 10, season 10 more, but I thought they might have gotten a little carried away with the humor. I always loved the balance they had between humor and serious and in the last 2 seasons the balance changed a bit and sometimes they were just goofy and not as creative in the humor.

I think maybe I'm just afraid that without Vala, they really will cut Daniel's roll back. I'm hoping for Jack and Daniel interaction, but they might not do that if they are trying to shoot for a more Jack and Sam oriented thing.

This is a concern of mine too. If it were up to me, Daniel would be in every scene :)

I think this circles back with there being such a huge roller coaster with Vala's characterization. At some points, the frustration from Daniel seems valid, then they change Vala around, and his reactions seem out of proportion.

I agree. Vala's character is cartoonish and they make the other characters react in a cartoonish way to her. I always thought that it was ridiculous that she ever joined SG1. I can see where they needed her to be a consultant, but for her to join was crazy. I always liked the way everyone respected SG1 and being the flagship SG team, they best of the best. Then they add a criminal to the team. I know people make mistakes, but come on, she stole an entire ship, left the crew on a Goa'uld ship that barely had life support (for all she knew, they could have died out in space) and she did for monetary reasons. Yes, let's have this person join the best SG team in the program.

HPMom
February 19th, 2009, 04:01 AM
I always thought that the times that Daniel was hard on her were times she deserved it. Her behavior was incredibly self-centered a lot of the time. The possible exception to that would be Unending, but she'd been so manipulative in the past, it was understandable. (and, of course, it never happened. ;) )

True enough, and I can never be too hard on Daniel, he's so likable! :daniel:

amconway
February 19th, 2009, 09:03 AM
---Quote (Originally by heliosphere)---
---End Quote---

This is a concern of mine too. If it were up to me, Daniel would be in every scene :)

I don't think that's much of a worry. In earlier seasons, he may not have been on screen for as many minutes (although he often was), but he was actually doing more. ie Crystal Skull, First Ones, Lifeboat, Threads...

the fifth man
February 19th, 2009, 07:09 PM
I really think this movie will be just as amazing as the first two films, but still, I will miss Vala.

CaramelMonkey
February 20th, 2009, 01:55 PM
I really think this movie will be just as amazing as the first two films, but still, I will miss Vala.

Yeah, I guess I can live without her on this one...(barely. Hahha) but as long as she's in the next movie, I'll be fine. :D

NIMBUS
February 21st, 2009, 10:51 AM
Vala Mal Doran is not expected to appear in the next SG1 movie...

well at least there is one good thing that comes from this piece of news - we can be 100% sure she wont die in the next movie :) *glass is half full* :D

the fifth man
February 21st, 2009, 09:00 PM
Yeah, I guess I can live without her on this one...(barely. Hahha) but as long as she's in the next movie, I'll be fine. :D

That is pretty much how I feel now.

kennythewraith
February 21st, 2009, 11:32 PM
i have a feeling that this is RDAs last appearance in anything stargate which is why the movie will focus on him and because they are bringing back RDA they had to cut some one out and unfortunatly its vala.but u cant have jack without sam,daniel and teal'c,cam cant leave cuz hes the leader of sg1 and landry is in charge of the sgc.so vala sits this one while on vacation with the baals old host and comes back later lol.

leiasky
February 21st, 2009, 11:35 PM
i have a feeling that this is RDAs last appearance in anything stargate which is why the movie will focus on him.i mean hes wat almost 70 and because they are bringing back RDA they had to cut some one out and unfortunatly its vala.but u cant have jack without sam,daniel and teal'c,cam cant leave cuz hes the leader of sg1 and landry is in charge of the sgc.so vala sits this one while on vacation with the baals old host and comes back later lol.

RDA is 59 and perfectly capable of doing Stargate movies well into the future if he wants and they are written in a way that allows him to participate.

amconway
February 21st, 2009, 11:38 PM
i have a feeling that this is RDAs last appearance in anything stargate which is why the movie will focus on him.i mean hes wat almost 70 and because they are bringing back RDA they had to cut some one out and unfortunatly its vala.but u cant have jack without sam,daniel and teal'c,cam cant leave cuz hes the leader of sg1 and landry is in charge of the sgc.so vala sits this one while on vacation with the baals old host and comes back later lol.
*Snort* Dude, he was born in 1950--that makes him 59. Lots more time for acting there. I swear, he gets older with every post on this forum. Next thing you know, people will be marvelling that he's still acting at 101. ;)

kennythewraith
February 21st, 2009, 11:42 PM
*Snort* Dude, he was born in 1950--that makes him 59. Lots more time for acting there. I swear, he gets older with every post on this forum. Next thing you know, people will be marvelling that he's still acting at 101. ;)

yeah sorry about that.he looked much older in continuum and i never really pay attention to peoples birthdays on bios and stuff.but yeah im gunna change that...can we jsut prtend it never happened?

amconway
February 21st, 2009, 11:44 PM
yeah sorry about that.he looked much older in continuum and i never really pay attention to peoples birthdays on bios and stuff.but yeah im gunna change that...can we jsut prtend it never happened?
Yep! We sure can. As long as you never spell 'just pretend' like that again. ;)

kennythewraith
February 21st, 2009, 11:48 PM
lol amconway...i cant make promises that... i probably cant keep

amconway
February 21st, 2009, 11:49 PM
lol amconway...i cant make promises that... i probably cant keep
Well, you're honest... That's a plus! :)

kennythewraith
February 21st, 2009, 11:55 PM
Well, you're honest... That's a plus! :)

well most of the time it is a plus..but other times it gets me into trouble

amconway
February 21st, 2009, 11:57 PM
well most of the time it is a plus..but other times it gets me into trouble
No, it's always a plus--it just also happens to get you in trouble. ;)

kennythewraith
February 22nd, 2009, 12:04 AM
No, it's always a plus--it just also happens to get you in trouble. ;)

lol makes sense...but honesty does have a negative side to it

amconway
February 22nd, 2009, 12:05 AM
lol makes sense...but honesty does have a negative side to it
That's where diplomacy comes in. It prevents the smack upside the head part of things.

kennythewraith
February 22nd, 2009, 12:09 AM
That's where diplomacy comes in. It prevents the smack upside the head part of things.

yeah but im 18...for people my age diplomacy is who can smack who upside the head harder...i usually dont win lol

amconway
February 22nd, 2009, 12:12 AM
yeah but im 18...for people my age diplomacy is who can smack who upside the head harder...i usually dont win lol
It's an acquired skill. You'll catch on. Head smacking can be a real motivator.

kennythewraith
February 22nd, 2009, 12:15 AM
It's an acquired skill. You'll catch on. Head smacking can be a real motivator.

lol yeah i usually go for the head butt on someone...if u get by that....im screwed

spikeandfaith
July 13th, 2009, 01:52 PM
Hello everybody, i'm a new stargate fan. I know that some of you fans hate or like vala, but I just wanted to ask why isn't she going to appear in the 3rd stargate movie? Thanks
Will she ever return again?

MathiasE
July 13th, 2009, 02:02 PM
But one SG-1 cast member who won’t be in the next movie is Claudia Black, whose character of Vala Mal Doran joined the team in the show’s tenth and final season after making a big impression in a series of guest appearances in Seasons Eight and Nine. “I thought Claudia was terrific in Continuum,” Wright told fans, “but Vala won’t be returning in the third movie.”

Wright has previously told GateWorld that, due to a variety of circumstances including the availability of former cast members who have moved on to other work, it’s unlikely that future SG-1 movies will include the entire cast of the television series. While fans of those characters will certainly mourn their absence, it does offer the writers the ability to spend more time servicing whichever characters are included.

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2009/01/wright-discusses-third-sg-1-movie/

Personally i can't say i'm sorry to lose her, that character is a big pain the a**

DSG1
July 13th, 2009, 04:24 PM
http://www.gateworld.net/news/2009/01/wright-discusses-third-sg-1-movie/

Personally i can't say i'm sorry to lose her, that character is a big pain the a**

I kinda agree. I liked her at first until they decided to turn her into an annoying toonish character when she came back and made her a reg in season ten.

CaramelMonkey
July 13th, 2009, 06:06 PM
Hello everybody, i'm a new stargate fan. I know that some of you fans hate or like vala, but I just wanted to ask why isn't she going to appear in the 3rd stargate movie? Thanks
Will she ever return again?

Well apparently Brad Wright can't write her in. Claudia said she was never asked, so I guess he doesn't think she has a place in the next movie. She might appear in the next next movie, if there even is one. :P

puddlejumperOZ
July 13th, 2009, 06:30 PM
I kinda agree. I liked her at first until they decided to turn her into an annoying toonish character when she came back and made her a reg in season ten.

Don't blame Claudia. She has an immense following for her portrayal as Vala, yes she camps it up a bit, but that's what mssrs Cooper and Wright wanted from her. As can be seen in some of the episodes she can go from dark to light easily, and in the episode she was kidnapped by Athena, Claudia definitely hit the 10 with that one. I believe the reason she's not being cast, is not that she wasn't asked, all the cast were for any upcoming movies, Claudia has other commitments at the moment.:vala:

Killdeer
July 13th, 2009, 08:47 PM
I believe the reason she's not being cast, is not that she wasn't asked, all the cast were for any upcoming movies, Claudia has other commitments at the moment.:vala:

She may have other commitments - I don't know, but Claudia said clearly in an online Q&A session that she was not asked to be part of the movie.

They certainly didn't ask me to be involved but I am in no way upset about it. I never expect to be asked back to anything. :)

http://forum.claudiablackonline.com/viewtopic.php?t=559

Rac80
July 14th, 2009, 12:54 PM
I for one loved the character and will miss her mightily in the next movie. :(

the commentaries with her are a riot. Loved the one for prometheus unbound, especially. she brought some pizazz to the show IMHO.

bklynscififan
July 16th, 2009, 10:18 AM
I loved Vala. She was cool. She grew to fit the mold of the team. I loved her and Daniel. They were good together. I hope she retuns in the future, if they continue.

poundpuppy29
July 16th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Me too I am very bummed about this

siles
July 17th, 2009, 02:27 PM
It's sad Vala won't be in the next movie. She was so much fun and I loved her interactions with Daniel, Sam and Tealc/Muscles :)

CaramelMonkey
July 18th, 2009, 05:41 AM
Agreed. *sigh*

Teal'auc
July 25th, 2009, 09:07 AM
Don't want to offend anyone, but if Vala is not going to appear in next Sg-1 movie, i consider it a plus. Never was her fan in the first place, as she simply doesn't fit into the team at all.... <.<

amconway
July 25th, 2009, 05:49 PM
Don't want to offend anyone, but if Vala is not going to appear in next Sg-1 movie, i consider it a plus. Never was her fan in the first place, as she simply doesn't fit into the team at all.... <.<

There are as many who agree with you as don't. I think it depends on whether one sees the change in tone and type of humor in seasons 9 and 10 as a good thing, or a bad thing. I preferred the more subtle humor ot the earlier seasons, although I probably wouldn't have had a problem with Vala if she'd treated people at the SGC with the same respect that she treated Tomin.

majorsal
July 25th, 2009, 05:54 PM
There are as many who agree with you as don't. I think it depends on whether one sees the change in tone and type of humor in seasons 9 and 10 as a good thing, or a bad thing. I preferred the more subtle humor ot the earlier seasons, although I probably wouldn't have had a problem with Vala if she'd treated people at the SGC with the same respect that she treated Tomin.

or if ppl at the sgc treated her the way they used to treat ppl that were pains in the butts. it was unrealistic in what she got away with. to me at least.

StargateHERO
July 25th, 2009, 09:58 PM
I for one loved the character and will miss her mightily in the next movie. :(

the commentaries with her are a riot. Loved the one for prometheus unbound, especially. she brought some pizazz to the show IMHO.

i agree with you Rac80. I love Vala as a character.

CaramelMonkey
July 26th, 2009, 04:19 AM
I love her too!

the fifth man
August 2nd, 2009, 07:12 PM
I love her too!

Same here. She really brought something different and wonderful to SG-1.:)

Coronach
August 2nd, 2009, 07:23 PM
Same here. She really brought something different and wonderful to SG-1.:)

Haha, I agree. She was the first character I grew to really like when I first came into SG1 (first episode I saw was somewhere in S9). I liked her attitude and the way she was written, and it was even better to see her really grow as time went on. :P

Teal'c_PI
August 2nd, 2009, 07:38 PM
Are you a massive Vala fan and hate this move, or does this come as a massive relief?

Well, I hated Vala when she showed up in "Prometheus Unbound", and I hated her throughout the ninth season. When she arrived back from the Ori galaxy after having met Tomin and all that jazz, she was a much more mature, likeable character, which made her bearable, but she never became one of my favorite characters like Sam, Cam, Teal'c, or Daniel. Simply put...I won't mind if she's not there.

nikki_6969
August 2nd, 2009, 09:14 PM
This makes me sad. I love her. She's such a trouble maker. I will miss her if she isn't in the next movie.

poundpuppy29
March 2nd, 2010, 03:59 PM
bumping this thread because there is a need for it I love Vala but I realize some don't this is the thread where we can say both sides

Supreme Commander Sil
March 2nd, 2010, 04:24 PM
I'd be fine with it if Aeryn Sun were in it instead :vala:.
:mckay:!

Targust
March 2nd, 2010, 06:41 PM
Indeed.
Now my personal view, and please, if you disagree TELL ME, is that this is no big deal. Vala has only been around since S9 properly, and only as a team member since S10. Her story arc was directly linked in to the Ori, similar to Teal'c with the Goa'uld, but Vala hasn't spent 8 years working with the SGC to warrant her sticking around. The fact Vala decided to help Ba'al's host at the end of Continuum suggested to me that she thinks she's found something she can devote herself to. Afterall, with the fight against the Ori over, is there much incentive for her to be part of an Earth military unit exploring the galaxy? She's SEEN the galaxy.

I fully agree, since that story arc is completed we no longer need the character.

Besides, wasn't the character created to continue on with the comedy side of the show since character Jack wasn't around anymore?

gotthammer
March 2nd, 2010, 11:06 PM
I'd be fine with it if Aeryn Sun were in it instead :vala:.
:mckay:!

Hmm...interesting thought, but nah. :D
I think, for SG, I'd still prefer Vala over Aeryn. More Vala would be nice. (heck, I wouldn't have given SG a chance if it weren't for CB's & BB's characters :D )

CaramelMonkey
March 2nd, 2010, 11:16 PM
Hmm...interesting thought, but nah. :D
I think, for SG, I'd still prefer Vala over Aeryn. More Vala would be nice. (heck, I wouldn't have given SG a chance if it weren't for CB's & BB's characters :D )

I agree. I'd kill myself if TPTB started leaning towards Daniel/Aeryn... do you have ANY idea how wrong that is!?

Nope, definitely want Vala back. :D

Tachyon
March 3rd, 2010, 12:24 AM
Vala not appearing in the next movie wouldn't be a big deal for me. I have never really warmed up for the character, so her being there or not has only little significance from my perspective.

gotthammer
March 3rd, 2010, 01:47 AM
I agree. I'd kill myself if TPTB started leaning towards Daniel/Aeryn... do you have ANY idea how wrong that is!?

Gah. Crossovers. Gah. :P
Hehehe...John/Vala *chokes* (yup, that'd guarantee Crichton's being 'institutionalized') :D

CaramelMonkey
March 3rd, 2010, 02:04 AM
Gah. Crossovers. Gah. :P
Hehehe...John/Vala *chokes* (yup, that'd guarantee Crichton's being 'institutionalized') :D

Uhm... haha I actually think John/Vala would be cute. *hides* Like, I love Daniel/Vala, but John/Vala... I could see it happening. But I do think they'd make amazing BFFLs. :D

Supreme Commander Sil
March 3rd, 2010, 03:42 AM
I fully agree, since that story arc is completed we no longer need the character.

Besides, wasn't the character created to continue on with the comedy side of the show since character Jack wasn't around anymore?
Gah... Vala hasn't seen the galaxy, it's such a large place :daniel:... Plus there's Pegasus and :rolleyes:....
Jack wasn't that great *is killed*. He could be funny, but there were certain episodes in which his character... was a jerk :mckay:. In my opinion :P.
You can never say a story is finished or a character is no longer needed ;).

:indeed: It was a joke as it would still be CB :P.

gotthammer
March 3rd, 2010, 04:05 AM
Gah... Vala hasn't seen the galaxy, it's such a large place :daniel:... Plus there's Pegasus and :rolleyes:....
Jack wasn't that great *is killed*. He could be funny, but there were certain episodes in which his character... was a jerk :mckay:. In my opinion :P.

:indeed:

:indeed: It was a joke as it would still be CB :P.

How about both of 'em! :D Now THAT would be interesting! :valaanime06:

Saquist
March 3rd, 2010, 04:18 AM
While I didn't care for Vala initially she grew on me...slowly.
But I don't necessarily need her in the next movie ...I will say I like her in Continuum both as herself and the gould. ...especially as the gould.

Continuum was a great movie.

Ashizuri
March 3rd, 2010, 09:38 AM

Sure you can. For example, I wanted Jack in Unending, but he wasn't needed to tell that particular story. If Vala's not needed to tell the third film's story I see no reason why she should be there.

CaramelMonkey
March 3rd, 2010, 07:15 PM
Sure you can. For example, I wanted Jack in Unending, but he wasn't needed to tell that particular story. If Vala's not needed to tell the third film's story I see no reason why she should be there.

I was so sad that Jack wasn't in Unending. He did deserve to be in the last ep... but yeah. I just don't like how Brad Wright said she "didn't have a place" in the movie. She's part of SG1, she automatically DOES have a place.

Killdeer
March 3rd, 2010, 07:35 PM
^^I agree with that, and I also think Jack should have been in Unending. "Needed" - well, who is really needed? ;) Cameron wasn't needed for that story, neither was Landry, but they were both there. Say what you will, but I'll never understand BW's casual discarding of Vala for this movie.

Although I suppose it's a moot point now - the movie may never get made anyway.

CaramelMonkey
March 3rd, 2010, 07:47 PM
^^I agree with that, and I also think Jack should have been in Unending. "Needed" - well, who is really needed? ;) Cameron wasn't needed for that story, neither was Landry, but they were both there. Say what you will, but I'll never understand BW's casual discarding of Vala for this movie.

Although I suppose it's a moot point now - the movie may never get made anyway.

I agree. Yeah the movie may not even happen, which makes me even MORE annoyed that Sam/Jack never happened in Unending... *iz a shipper* :P

But ya know. *shrugs* MGM is broke.

Ashizuri
March 3rd, 2010, 07:58 PM
I was so sad that Jack wasn't in Unending. He did deserve to be in the last ep... but yeah. I just don't like how Brad Wright said she "didn't have a place" in the movie. She's part of SG1, she automatically DOES have a place.

Yeah, I love BW but he's not always the most tactful guy. :D

I don't know, it just doesn't bother me. Sam and Teal'c were a part of SG1 and they weren't in Prometheus Unbound. Sam wasn't in Bad Guys. It won't be the first time a team member has been left out for whatever reason. Though, if this movie ever happens (which I kinda doubt), I would hope that if they choose to no longer keep the character active in the wider SG universe they would give her a proper exit.

Replicator Todd
March 4th, 2010, 11:41 AM
Even if Vala doesn't appear in the movie, she is getting a comic book series.

CaramelMonkey
March 4th, 2010, 08:11 PM

I heard this too. :P That is amazing.

jmoz
March 5th, 2010, 01:22 AM
I like Vala, she's a good actress and has qualities the team is benefited by, esp in the changed power vacuum in the galaxy. She knows the ins and outs that SG would not normally know due to their "good" status.

MarieWynn
March 5th, 2010, 10:43 AM

I have not heard this....do dish on this Vala comic book series!

Ashizuri
March 5th, 2010, 11:10 AM
I have not heard this....do dish on this Vala comic book series!

Stargate: Vala Mal Doran (http://www.dynamiteentertainment.com/htmlfiles/viewProduct.html?PRO=C725130144041)

We start our story during the years when Vala was acting as a free agent in the intergalactic underworld. While the ever-growing Lucian Alliance attempts to recruit her, Vala puts together an Ocean's Eleven-style team of freelancers (though her team numbers around 5 people) to help her track down a mysterious sentient plant believed to be a source of great power.

It seems to be a non-canon backstory.

gotthammer
March 5th, 2010, 01:12 PM
It seems to be a non-canon backstory.

How so? The Lucian Alliance bit?

MarieWynn
March 5th, 2010, 01:26 PM
Woohoo for the comic! Question: Wouldn't the people producing the comic have to get permission to use and profit off of the character of Vala along with the whole Stargate story? Kinda shows the character wasn't a total flop and thus worth some time and effort. At least, it would seem that way. Which kinda leads me to believe that maybe there really is no way they can fit Vala into this movie. Alternate reality maybe? If it was O'Neill visiting some alien friends along with the rest of SG1 old and new, you'd think Vala and Cam would easily be fit in. But maybe there is just no way to fit her/them with the story they want to go with.

Ashizuri
March 5th, 2010, 02:07 PM
How so? The Lucian Alliance bit?

How so what? The non-canon bit? I assume it's non-canon in the sense that tie in novels aren't canon. Fun and entertaining maybe, but at the end of the day they are basically authorized fanfiction. Unless Stargate PTB have said this is Vala's official backstory, it's not a part of the SG canon. And I assume backstory because as many fans of Vala has said, bounty hunter/thief/conartist would be a step back in character growth from where Vala was the last time we saw her. I could be wrong though. EDIT: Wrong about where in Vala's time line it takes place.

kusanagi
March 13th, 2010, 03:44 AM
I agree. Yeah the movie may not even happen, which makes me even MORE annoyed that Sam/Jack never happened in Unending... *iz a shipper*

But ya know. *shrugs* MGM is broke.

Me too :(