PDA

View Full Version : Elizabeth Weir in AU?

Hermiiod
January 3rd, 2009, 05:36 AM
Considering it was an Alternate Universe, wouldn't that make it a prime opportunity to bring Elizabeth Wier back for an episode? I would've liked to see her actually. Even just having her walking past in the hall would've been really neat.

Morrolan
January 3rd, 2009, 06:11 AM
Considering it was an Alternate Universe, wouldn't that make it a prime opportunity to bring Elizabeth Wier back for an episode? I would've liked to see her actually. Even just having her walking past in the hall would've been really neat.

Mentioning Weir would have been nice, but Tori Higginson has moved on.

CazzBlade
January 3rd, 2009, 06:41 AM

That would have been excellent! but it wasn't to be :(

Briangate78
January 3rd, 2009, 06:42 AM
I miss Weir. Well at least I don't have to hope for her to appear in Season 6 anymore.

Southern Red
January 3rd, 2009, 07:59 AM
I miss Weir. Well at least I don't have to hope for her to appear in Season 6 anymore.

Same here. And in my own little AU world, she was the medic that John tried to rescue. lalala

Briangate78
January 3rd, 2009, 08:25 AM
Same here. And in my own little AU world, she was the medic that John tried to rescue. lalala

It has occured to me that Season 5 needed Weir for at least a Recurring role. :)

timtonruben359
January 3rd, 2009, 11:03 AM
While it would have been nice to see Wier one last time, Torri has stated she has no interest in reprising the role...so that as they say is that.

Briangate78
January 3rd, 2009, 11:06 AM
While it would have been nice to see Wier one last time, Torri has stated she has no interest in reprising the role...so that as they say is that.

Yup, and don't even bet on her being in the movies. Joe M has made that crystal clear.

Flyboy
January 3rd, 2009, 12:12 PM
I hope she NEVER ever returns.

Not because I hate her. Or even because I dislike her.

But TPTB gashed up her story So badly with the repli-weir thing that it's just painful. I'd have been happier if she'd have just DIED at the hands of the replicators.

parsifal
January 3rd, 2009, 01:04 PM

I don't believe she's said that.

Morrolan
January 3rd, 2009, 01:16 PM

But TPTB gashed up her story So badly with the repli-weir thing that it's just painful. I'd have been happier if she'd have just DIED at the hands of the replicators.

I agree with you on that. She should have died and been done with instead of popping up every now and then.

I don't believe she's said that.I can't find a direct quote, but she was upset at having her role reduced and moved on.

CalmStorm
January 3rd, 2009, 01:29 PM

I don't believe she's said that.

I can't find a direct quote, but she was upset at having her role reduced and moved on.

I think that while she hasn't said "no way am I ever coming back" in some of the interviews and comments, it seems that is the best way to sum it up. I think it was more than her just getting the ax, from what I have read, it seems she was also disappointed with the direction of Weir and lack of closer, more specifically in episode with Repli-Weir which is why she chose not to reprise her role as Weir in that episode. I can certainly understand her reticence for not reprising the role written as it was. Of course I could have mis-interpreted, but that seemed to be the gist of it.

Southern Red
January 3rd, 2009, 02:22 PM
I think that while she hasn't said "no way am I ever coming back" in some of the interviews and comments, it seems that is the best way to sum it up. I think it was more than her just getting the ax, from what I have read, it seems she was also disappointed with the direction of Weir and lack of closer, more specifically in episode with Repli-Weir which is why she chose not to reprise her role as Weir in that episode. I can certainly understand her reticence for not reprising the role written as it was. Of course I could have mis-interpreted, but that seemed to be the gist of it.

You are correct. She didn't like the lack of closure for the character as I understand it. I'm sure there's more to it but it's none of our business anyway. The point is that they never wrote her character very well. It would have been easy to fix but they had other priorities. It's not too late IMHO but TPTB seem to think it is.

parsifal
January 3rd, 2009, 02:32 PM

That's my understanding as well. While the outcome may be the same, there's a difference between saying what you did and alleging that Torri said she would never come back.

Ruined_puzzle
January 3rd, 2009, 03:01 PM

Mine too. They never mentioned her or the medic's name. It fits. ;)

Flyboy
January 3rd, 2009, 04:28 PM
Mine too. They never mentioned her or the medic's name. It fits. ;)
Except that what in God's name would make Elizabeth Weir become a military medical officer?

All the othe characterisations seemed at least pretty similar to our ones.

Briangate78
January 3rd, 2009, 05:11 PM

Adrift and Lifeline were excellent eps. Lifeline was likley one of the best of the series, imo. A lot of drama going back and forth. I feel that they had an opportunity to really make this story work, but threw it out.

Flyboy
January 3rd, 2009, 05:14 PM
Adrift and Lifeline were excellent eps. Lifeline was likley one of the best of the series, imo. A lot of drama going back and forth. I feel that they had an opportunity to really make this story work, but threw it out.
Yes. And that's where it stopped. Killing her off properly in Lifeline, or heck, even just the statement that she died in This Mortal Coil would have worked. But NO. They had to put in that damn scene in BAMSR and then follow up with the God awful Ghost in the machine.

Briangate78
January 3rd, 2009, 05:18 PM
Yes. And that's where it stopped. Killing her off properly in Lifeline, or heck, even just the statement that she died in This Mortal Coil would have worked. But NO. They had to put in that damn scene in BAMSR and then follow up with the God awful Ghost in the machine.

I did like the flesh and blood copies, but I think the last scene in BAMSR should of been followed up with an episode in Season 4, and they should of kept something going.

Hermiiod
January 3rd, 2009, 06:21 PM
Elizabeth Wier is dead! Dead I say! Frozen in space forever!! And dare I say it, I like it that way! (Not that I didn't like Wier when she was a human)
But please, don't let me clog up this discussion between BG and FOBennett. Please continue. . . http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/smileys/free-character-smileys-160.gif (http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/Free-Character-Smileys/)http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/smileys/free-character-smileys-160.gif (http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/Free-Character-Smileys/)http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/smileys/free-character-smileys-160.gif (http://www.easyfreesmileys.com/Free-Character-Smileys/)!!!!

Southern Red
January 4th, 2009, 05:22 AM
Except that what in God's name would make Elizabeth Weir become a military medical officer?

All the othe characterisations seemed at least pretty similar to our ones.

Maybe something significant happened in her life to make her not dislike the military and she saw it as a way to help people. Remember that there are an infinite number of AU's.

And don't crush our little shippy hearts so thoroughly, we're still tender. :(

Flyboy
January 4th, 2009, 08:00 AM
Maybe something significant happened in her life to make her not dislike the military and she saw it as a way to help people. Remember that there are an infinite number of AU's.

And don't crush our little shippy hearts so thoroughly, we're still tender. :(
I'm not, but I'm just amazed that major Weir fans (which I assume you are) would want to change her character so much to fit a ship. I mean... that wouldn't be Weir any more would it? Not really.

Southern Red
January 4th, 2009, 09:16 AM
I'm not, but I'm just amazed that major Weir fans (which I assume you are) would want to change her character so much to fit a ship. I mean... that wouldn't be Weir any more would it? Not really.

We would love to change her and make her be the leader she could have been if she had been written better in the first place. But no, we don't want to rewrite her as military in the canon universe. Or at least, I don't, even though I love the military.

But again, it could happen in an AU. And as for the ship, I think the fact of her close connection with John could translate into any AU. He loved this woman. He lost her. He turned dark. In canon, we believe that John turned dark partly because of his loss of Elizabeth. Thus the connection with Vegas.

Cory Holmes
January 4th, 2009, 11:44 AM
Bah, McWeir all the way! *flees from the ravenous hordes of That Other Weir Ship*

Southern Red
January 4th, 2009, 11:57 AM
Bah, McWeir all the way! *flees from the ravenous hordes of That Other Weir Ship*

Ha ha, you can run but you can't hide. I'm sure Rodney would be happy to help John bring her home. ;)

jelgate
January 4th, 2009, 12:15 PM
Bah, McWeir all the way!?* *flees from the ravenous hordes of That Other Weir Ship*I don't know. Have you seen the way Elizabeth looks at that office:P

Reiko
January 4th, 2009, 12:22 PM
She was totally that medic. *las*

I don't care what Joe M says. But it's lazy writing and not very inspiring to leave her stranded in space like that.

Screw this, if they want a movie they have a nice little storyline right there.

Southern Red
January 4th, 2009, 05:42 PM

I don't care what Joe M says. But it's lazy writing and not very inspiring to leave her stranded in space like that.

Maybe Vala will run across her and reel her in. Then the two rejects can become space pirates together. ;)

prion
January 4th, 2009, 05:48 PM

for all we know, in this AU Elizabeth may still be running the program - never died, because well, everything that Sheppard's team did would be changed - and perhaps they'd never have run across that batch of replicators... :)

Ruined_puzzle
January 4th, 2009, 08:02 PM
Maybe Vala will run across her and reel her in. Then the two rejects can become space pirates together. ;)

They totally need to steal Sheppard. I would watch that show.

Southern Red
January 5th, 2009, 04:15 AM

Oh man, I didn't think about that. *swats at plot bunnies with a mop*

Pajus
January 5th, 2009, 05:01 AM

My physics soul has two words for you: deteriorating orbit. If you assume that every episode takes place in 1/20 of a year, Lizzie!body fell through the atmosphere 2 episodes ago and was reduced to a handful of dust by friction heat. The only way she lives is that Zelenka copied her mind and created another replicator for her.

Anyway: My theory is that What happened, happened:
Meaning Lizzie was replaced be Woolsey and she would probably return to negotiating for the UN

PantheraLeo
January 5th, 2009, 05:57 AM
you know, the nurse that had a crush on Sheppard in Vegas, I think it should have been Torri. I know it would be totally different that what she did in our reality but then again, that's why it's called Alternate Reality.

Reiko
January 5th, 2009, 01:37 PM

Hee! (I need a signature with Vala, Liz and Carson saying "TPTB's Rejects". Haha.)

That's an OT3 I could have. :D

jelgate
January 5th, 2009, 01:38 PM
Hee! (I need a signature with Vala, Liz and Carson saying "TPTB's Rejects". Haha.)That's an OT3 I could have. :DDon't forget Jonas;)

Reiko
January 5th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Don't forget Jonas;)

And Ford, declared dead on a blog.

I love them all. What have we done to deserve this.

Hermiiod
January 5th, 2009, 01:55 PM
you know, the nurse that had a crush on Sheppard in Vegas, I think it should have been Torri. I know it would be totally different that what she did in our reality but then again, that's why it's called Alternate Reality.

That would have been a really odd twist. Cool though... Definitely cool!

Cory Holmes
January 5th, 2009, 03:24 PM
That would have been a really odd twist. Cool though... Definitely cool!

Not possible because *plants McWeir flag in thread* I claim this thread for McWeir! And it deserves pointing out that McKay had a wedding ring on in this episode...

CalmStorm
January 5th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Not possible because *plants McWeir flag in thread* I claim this thread for McWeir! And it deserves pointing out that McKay had a wedding ring on in this episode...

..and from that one little scene in the hallway, it looks like Keller probably has the matching one :P

Southern Red
January 5th, 2009, 05:49 PM
..and from that one little scene in the hallway, it looks like Keller probably has the matching one :P

Nah, married people don't act like that in public. I say they were fooling around and Rodney is married to someone else. It may be Weir considering the infinite universe theory and wasn't he married to Sam once in another one but only because Elizabeth never laid eyes on John . *runs from Cory Holmes*

Pajus
January 5th, 2009, 07:28 PM
And Ford, declared dead on a blog.

I love them all. What have we done to deserve this.

They existed. Is that not enough for you?

Cory Holmes
January 6th, 2009, 05:58 AM
Nah, married people don't act like that in public. I say they were fooling around and Rodney is married to someone else. It may be Weir

See? On this, we agree :cool:

Hermiiod
January 6th, 2009, 07:59 AM
McWier? :weiranime42:http://img3.mysmiley.net/imgs/smile/love/love0046.gif (http://www.mysmiley.net/free-happy-smileys.php):mckayanime22:

Whatever, I like it! :D

ZOMG!b_cs
January 6th, 2009, 08:41 AM
I find it striking that if TH didn't like the lack of closure for her character that she didn't come back for the episode that was (supposedly) to give her character closure. Everyone seems mad at TPTB, but it takes two people to keep up an argument.

I personally hope that we don't see Weir again in movie or episode. Why drag that dreary story up again?

Why do people insist on a definitive answer for everything? Using Ford as an example, is he dead/not-dead ~ it's not really pertinent anymore. If you're a fan of Ford, look on it more as an opportunity. You could have all kinds of stories floating around about how he lived and what's going on now. Same with Weir, sort of (Ghost in the Machine notwithstanding)

I think it's horrible when there's a definitive answer about a character you like being dead. (*cough~ Wash/Serenity *cough) If it's ambiguous, then there's always hope. Of course, in my world, Wash was quicklly put in River's old cryo-thing and once they got to a Core world with fancified medical facilities, the doc would fix him up.

Sorry, I wandered off topic. ;)

So, folks wanted a definitive answer. Folks wanted Weir back. And 'Ghost in the Machine' was the result. While I enjoyed the episode overall, with regards to the Weir storyline, all I have to say is - be careful what you wish for.

Pic
January 6th, 2009, 11:42 AM
So, folks wanted a definitive answer. Folks wanted Weir back. And 'Ghost in the Machine' was the result. While I enjoyed the episode overall, with regards to the Weir storyline, all I have to say is - be careful what you wish for.

Yes, it seems that nobody was satisfied with THAT outcome. Just goes to show that you can't please everyone.

Anyway, AU!Weir is probably back in Washington with Narim(or whatever his name was in SGA) and their dog, Simon. She's completely ignorant of the Stargate program and working on peace in the Middle East or something.

(or was Simon the boyfriend's name?)

Southern Red
January 6th, 2009, 12:00 PM
Yes, it seems that nobody was satisfied with THAT outcome. Just goes to show that you can't please everyone.

Anyway, AU!Weir is probably back in Washington with Narim(or whatever his name was in SGA) and their dog, Simon. She's completely ignorant of the Stargate program and working on peace in the Middle East or something.

(or was Simon the boyfriend's name?)

Simon was the boyfriend but considering that fug ugly hairdo in Intruder he works as the dog too. ;)

In my AU, she's still the leader of Atlantis and everything from Sunday on never happened. ;)

Flowerbud
January 6th, 2009, 11:00 PM
Southern Red, I had the same thought when I saw this episode. This is actually the first episode I've seen since the end of Season 3. I also thought the medic in Afghanistan would be Elizabeth. JF and TH were smoking hot together, IMO.

It was very poignant seeing John die in the desert alone. A poster in the episode thread wrote that the Vegas John is the true John, with no defenses, truly an emotionally stunted man broken by the events in his life. He is our John turned inside out. I agree with this assessment.

We finally find out who the real John Sheppard is and he is not that likeable. He blows off the nurse. He is okay with stealing the poker money. He has no family or friends, has a gambling problem. Yet, he can do one selfless act in trying to stop a serial killer to redeem himself in his own heart. Can I mention that JF looks gorgeous in civilian clothes! What a beautiful man!

The John and Elizabeth are tragic lovers. Elizabeth dying a gruesome death earlier (something with naniites) and John finally fulfilling his death-wish in his next suicide mission. It's fitting that he dies alone in the desert staring at the stars. They make a pair. (I know it's an AU episode, but thematically it fits and interestingly, they made this the second to last episode of the series).

Southern Red
January 7th, 2009, 04:55 AM
Southern Red, I had the same thought when I saw this episode. This is actually the first episode I've seen since the end of Season 3. I also thought the medic in Afghanistan would be Elizabeth. JF and TH were smoking hot together, IMO.

It was very poignant seeing John die in the desert alone. A poster in the episode thread wrote that the Vegas John is the true John, with no defenses, truly an emotionally stunted man broken by the events in his life. He is our John turned inside out. I agree with this assessment.

We finally find out who the real John Sheppard is and he is not that likeable. He blows off the nurse. He is okay with stealing the poker money. He has no family or friends, has a gambling problem. Yet, he can do one selfless act in trying to stop a serial killer to redeem himself in his own heart. Can I mention that JF looks gorgeous in civilian clothes! What a beautiful man!

The John and Elizabeth are tragic lovers. Elizabeth dying a gruesome death earlier (something with naniites) and John finally fulfilling his death-wish in his next suicide mission. It's fitting that he dies alone in the desert staring at the stars. They make a pair. (I know it's an AU episode, but thematically it fits and interestingly, they made this the second to last episode of the series).

Great thoughts. I too love the discussion about this John being our John turned inside out. We've talked a bit about that over on the S/W thread.

I don't see him so much as the true John, but as John as he could have been without the support of his friends on Atlantis. Also the Afghanistan incident didn't go quite so badly in our reality so our John isn't quite as damaged. But he still has those issues deep inside and in S4-5 his dark side has seeped to the surface more. Naturally, I see Elizabeth as the deciding factor in his life. Others disagree, but that's okay.

Sam_Carter
January 7th, 2009, 08:51 AM
my sis is convinced the woman Sheppard went back for during the war was Weir. We can hope can't we?

Reiko
January 7th, 2009, 10:14 AM
They existed. Is that not enough for you?

I like to be a thorn in TPTB's side.

A poster in the episode thread wrote that the Vegas John is the true John, with no defenses, truly an emotionally stunted man broken by the events in his life. He is our John turned inside out. I agree with this assessment.

Yup. John Sheppard is a tragic character; the only difference here is that he didn't have his friends. (And he's still lost 2 of them, so...)

Flowerbud
January 7th, 2009, 05:54 PM
John is an interesting character to be chosen as a hero for a traditional action-adventure show. He's more of an anti-hero. He cares about the people he works closely with, but he's basically a loner. Without a structured setting like the military, he becomes more vulnerable to his propensity for emotional isolation. I like to think that having Elizabeth alive in his life saved him in all the different universes. ;)

Flyboy
January 8th, 2009, 06:32 AM
John is an interesting character to be chosen as a hero for a traditional action-adventure show. He's more of an anti-hero. He cares about the people he works closely with, but he's basically a loner. Without a structured setting like the military, he becomes more vulnerable to his propensity for emotional isolation. I like to think that having Elizabeth alive in his life saved him in all the different universes. ;)
A loner? He plays with radio controlled cars with his best friend.

Flowerbud
January 8th, 2009, 02:28 PM
I haven't seen that scene. So, not so much a loner.:)

Hermiiod
January 8th, 2009, 02:54 PM
I haven't seen that scene. So, not so much a loner.:)
FYI, it's in the very beginning and end of Prodigal. :)

Ruined_puzzle
January 9th, 2009, 12:17 AM
my sis is convinced the woman Sheppard went back for during the war was Weir. We can hope can't we?

Your sister and I share that same mind ...along with every other Shep/Weir shipper. It was really the first thing that popped into my mind.

grime
January 15th, 2009, 11:12 AM
okay, i try not to weep openly when thinking about wier ...

"The John and Elizabeth are tragic lovers. Elizabeth dying a gruesome death earlier (something with naniites) and John finally fulfilling his death-wish in his next suicide mission. It's fitting that he dies alone in the desert staring at the stars. They make a pair."

YOU ARE NOT HELPING!!

*sniff*

leeman15251
May 12th, 2009, 05:01 AM
I tought they offered her a role for "gost in the machine" but didn't she turn it down?

Scary Kitty
May 12th, 2009, 04:31 PM
I tought they offered her a role for "gost in the machine" but didn't she turn it down?

Once again, to repeat for those who missed the several other times I've posted it in various threads at GW, this is an excerpt from Torri Higginson's interview included with Big Finish's SGA audio drama CD "A Necessary Evil", released in May 2008 (drama and interview were recorded in January 2008):

Interviewer: Do you miss her, as a character, now that you haven't played her for a while? Is she someone that you think about, or is it just another role that you've moved on from?

Torri: No, I definitely think about her, I mean, and I think especially because this last year, it's been so strange, I haven't known if I'm coming back or not coming back, there's been no clarity as far as what her story goes, so that's been hard to put it to rest. Yeah, she crosses my mind a lot, yeah, and I wish her well. And for all I know, she'll be back again next year with a red-haired actress playing her! (Torri and the interviewer dissolve into giggles at this part!) And I'll tune in to see how she's doing!

Interviewer: Have you heard any more about whether you're going to be asked back?

Torri: Honestly, well actually, I'll just come out in the open now, so I think I can say it. Um, I'm not coming back. They did come to me and ask me to come back this year, but it was very unclear as to what it was going to be, what they're going to ask you to do, and it was unclear as to um, if it was going to be a tidying up of her or if it was gonna to continue to be a vague 'is she here, is she not there.' And so that, mixed with other contractual things, I chose not to do it. And it was sort of tough, because I felt a sense of responsibility, and mostly, to be honest, towards the fans, I wanted to give them a sense of closure. And I felt that I was sort of being betraying by saying no to do it, but I didn't feel it was going to be a closure, I wasn't convinced it was gonna be, it was gonna tidy it up. So I felt, well then if we're just gonna continue this sort of vague dragging it on every year, and I wanted a clarity, and I thought that at the end of the day, however much the fans might be disappointed and not have her do it for another episode, I think they would appreciate my reasons why. I hope so.

So basically, Torri wanted to come back, but she also wanted to give the character and the fans closure. When she found that the story for GitM would not give proper closure to the Weir storyline, she declined the offer.