This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Atlantis Radios

Can anyone tell me how the Atlantis radios work? They all just tap there headset and get connected to whomever they want, just like in Star Trek. Catch is, they don't say anything. Any thoughts?

yeah i wondered about that before. I guess everyone can hear what is being said into them or something. I think they are way to small to work so well.

Comment

Maybe they have a general frequency, that everyone uses.
      SG Fan and Gun nut.
      Fellow Airsofter too

Comment

Originally posted by the wraithwaxer View Post
        Can anyone tell me how the Atlantis radios work? They all just tap there headset and get connected to whomever they want, just like in Star Trek. Catch is, they don't say anything. Any thoughts?
        There's no indication that not everyone else is also listening in on the conversation (who is wearing a headset at the time).

Most conversations start with, for example, Shep calling out "McKay." McKay, who is listening, responds.

Doesn't necessarily mean that everyone else isn't listening in too. (We are!)

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
        SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
        Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Just once it would be nice to let things like this slip.

Can it be a Christmas present for me? A little late, I know... but damn.

Comment

Well... if they ARE radios and not some kind of blue tooth, then they would all be on the same frequency, and instead of using call signs (because they're gash) they just call to whoever they want by name. If they ARE radios. Everyone can here them, just like with any normal radio network.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

I think its as said: everyone can hear, but only answer when needed.

i remember in The Prodigal

Spoiler:
              Sheppard told the control room to "patch [him] into security team radios only" or something along those lines

Comment

Im pretty sure ive seen it before when two people are talking and you see shep or someone else listerning in on the conversation so i have to agree with almost everyone else and say that everyone can hear the conversations.
                The BC-304... Just Try And Stop Us Now!

sigpic

Comment

But theres gotta be more than one conversation going on at the one time right
                  So there would be a clash of conversations wouldnt there?

Comment

I think they are blue tooth. Here is why. If you remember correctly in the episode Kindred Part 2. Carson forgot to get a radio and John got it for him. There are 2 way bluetooth enabled radios out there. I know Motorola makes a series of them that are used with government. Kenwood makes a fine line. But I believe they are Motorola, being motorola is the only company that makes radios that can take a ass whooping and be drowned at the same time.

Also you can get digital base stations that can "Connect" one frequency to an other.
                    Spins and turns, angles and curves, the shape of dreams half remembered. Slip the surly bonds of Earth and touch the face of perfection. A perfect face, a perfect lace, find a perfect world for the end of Kara Thrace.
                    End of line.

Comment

radios with different frequencies, say 2 or three per security team, science team, blah, blah, blah!!!

sigpic
                      Sig made by squirrely1
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ
                      *PM me if you clicked on that link*

Comment

It could also work something along the lines of when you talk, it's broadcasted to all radios.

When the receiver (person) hears their name they tap a button on the headset (Which is something I have noticed). Once this button is pressed, the headsets choose a different frequency so that they are the only 2 headsets on that frequency.

Once the button is released/the conversation has been idle for more then 30 secs (Or what ever it maybe), the headsets return to their original frequency.

Also all headsets may listen on 2 frequencies, the general frequency, and that headsets private frequency.

Sometimes I hear them say "Communications is down", so there maybe a computer somewhere that has a list of everyone's name, and the frequency of their headset, so when some one says "RODNEY!!!", the computer automatically forwards it on to Rodney's headset, and that could also initiate the session system that I stated above.

Comment

They probably all use the same frequency when they're off-world. Most special forces units maintain radio silence when on a mission unless someone spots something that's worth reporting. And if the team commander is talking everyone remains silent unless there getting spoke too or have to interupt to report something important.

On Atlantis they may use different frequencys and get the control room to direct radio traffic.

Comment

Originally posted by Infy View Post
                            But theres gotta be more than one conversation going on at the one time right
                            So there would be a clash of conversations wouldnt there?
                            That is right. What would happen if two random doctors are talking about getting some lunch while Sheppard needs to talk to McKay about saving Atlantis? Plus, how can there be a security channel and a main channel?When would they know to switch over?

I think they just let it slip. I'm okay with it though. Thank you all for your input.

Comment

Originally posted by the wraithwaxer View Post
                              That is right. What would happen if two random doctors are talking about getting some lunch while Sheppard needs to talk to McKay about saving Atlantis? Plus, how can there be a security channel and a main channel?When would they know to switch over?

I think they just let it slip. I'm okay with it though. Thank you all for your input.
                              But that would be the same for all military radios, and this is gotten around by either just instructing people to only use the radios for official purposes or having a directed net as a opposed to a free net.

"Five Rounds Rapid"

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X