This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AAARGH SG1 game + ethics

Groan I read the description for the new SG1 game and I'm not impressed !

Reads like its going to be yet another violent trashy shootup / stalker game in which the aim of the "strategy" is to pretend to be a sociopath or psycho and kill people!

Can we not have more games that involve REAL strategy - maybe games in which you LOSE points for reaching your goal by killing people?

I'ld much prefer see a civilization / sim earth type game in which building and making and peacekeeping is rewarded with points!

Or a game in which the sg team are saving lives or there's a jaffa or gouald team vs the sgc / tauri or tokra or asgard and there's a surprise twist and they discover they have to co-operate to reach their goal!

Why cant someone design a game that encourages ethical compassionate behaviour ?

Does the world really need yet another game aimed at the type of gamer who matches this description - I am a frustated usually male teenager who needs to vent by pretending to kill people and annoys every adult trying to do email or netsurf in the netcafe by screaming like a hysterical baby chimp homophobic or sexist remarks like
    - kill the B**** or Kill the F**** etc !!!

I'll like to see a game that makes heroes of firefighters or rescue crews or unarmed aid workers or doctors without borders staff !

We dont need more violent games in which people are rewarded with points for killing people !!!

I hope there's going to be a non violent diplomacy option for this game!

Keep the science in SciFi!

Where the heck did YOU pop out from?

There is no way you can make a First Person SHOOTER game based on SG-1 WITHOUT the action-packed strategy. In fact, there are few FPS games that incorporate "ethics stats" unless it's a true stealth game or the particular mission requires not to kill anyone.

Although I think they might incorporate some of that in SG-1 The Alliance, I doubt that it will be a strong suit of the game, since any FPS game is made for tactical gaming or all-out action gaming.
    Enter my game site...

Comment

Originally posted by neith4

Reads like its going to be yet another violent trashy shootup / stalker game in which the aim of the "strategy" is to pretend to be a sociopath or psycho and kill people!

Can we not have more games that involve REAL strategy - maybe games in which you LOSE points for reaching your goal by killing people?

I'ld much prefer see a civilization / sim earth type game in which building and making and peacekeeping is rewarded with points!

Or a game in which the sg team are saving lives or there's a jaffa or gouald team vs the sgc / tauri or tokra or asgard and there's a surprise twist and they discover they have to co-operate to reach their goal!

Why cant someone design a game that encourages ethical compassionate behaviour ?

Does the world really need yet another game aimed at the type of gamer who matches this description - I am a frustated usually male teenager who needs to vent by pretending to kill people and annoys every adult trying to do email or netsurf in the netcafe by screaming like a hysterical baby chimp homophobic or sexist remarks like

I'll like to see a game that makes heroes of firefighters or rescue crews or unarmed aid workers or doctors without borders staff !

We dont need more violent games in which people are rewarded with points for killing people !!!

I completely agree with you that people these days are too violent and that video games just reinforce this. But I myself enjoy playing these games.

It's the way our society is structured, the masses like to blow each other to smitherings rather than helping another, unless it's to blow another to smitherings.

What I'm tyring to get at is the video game companies try to market on that, they see that if masses don't like peaceful games, then there will be few peaceful games developped.

Even in games such a Civilization, you have the OPTION of peace, but a lot of people prefere to wage war. Therefore in my humble opinion, I believe that is the best we can do, to give the option of finding a peaceful, non-violent solution to an obstacle in games.
      sigpic
      In the infinite expanse that we occupy, whose to say that something's impossible?

Comment

Do you think something that is peace loving is going to sell?

Comment

But if the game was your way the only playable character would be daniel

How can you be judging the game before it even comes out? Do you know for a fact it will be a "shoot everything in sight" game? It's quite possible problem-solving and strategy will play a big part of the game, for example you can either kill an group of jaffa to reach your target or find a longer way around. After all SG-1 is a MILITARY team, so I don't see how they could possibly make an SG-1 game in which violence is non-existant. If you're against violence shouldn't you have a strong objection to Stargate SG-1 and Atlantis?
          My non-stargate related site: The Rabbit Archive

Comment

Unfortunately in today's society, the more popular genre of video game involves blowing someone or something up. It's more fun to blow stuff up.

In general, the action, First-Person-Shooter (FPS)genre is the most popular game genre. And just about everyone can attribute this fact to the popularity of Quake and Doom when they were released back in the 1990's. Once Quake hit the shelves, the FPS genre took off.

As for less violent, and non-violent games, they certainly exist. Some are thoroughly enjoyable (such as the SimCity series, or the Flight Simulator series), some are not.

I agree with the general concensus that games these days are bit too violent. Violence these days can be attributed (in some degree or another) to the games young people play, but there is actually no definitive connection between playing violent video games and committing violent acts. (Depending on who you ask, this opinion will surely differ).

Game companies will make games that are popular with the players. With this in mind, game companies closely track trends in popularity. If a particular genre or type of game is becoming extremely popular with players, game companies will accommodate the player market and make that particular type of game. It's all about keeping the players happy, which translates to lots and lots of dollars.

Comment

I am a female in her 30s, and I find that I really enjoy the shooter games. Mind you, I also enjoy games like Civilization and Sim City.

I used to put down First Person Shooter games all the time until I actually tried playing one (Halo) -- I was bullied into it by some younger, male cousins. After protesting mightily about it, I finally tried playing it. There is strategy involved. Its very true that the strategy involves figuring out how to kill the hordes of monsters attacking me and standing between me and my next mission goal. However, at least Halo can not be won by just going out and blindly shooting your way out of a situation. It requires patience, good reflexes and strategy to accomplish my aims.

For better or worse, Stargate SG-1 is a military team. Their tasks generally involve accomplishing a mission with enemies (Goauld, enemy Jaffa, replicators, etc.) standing in their way and attacking them. A FPS game is a very natural fit for a Stargate game.

I will say that I probably enjoy role-playing games the most which involve killing but also involve more complex scenarios than most FPS games. Knights of the Old Republic is an excellent example of such a game, and I had hoped the Stargate game would be more RPG than FPS, but I still think this game could be very cool.

Comment

well at least a couple of people got the message that the problem is that shooter games dont prompt ethics - like thou shalt not kill as a commandment exists in buddhism as well as the western religions?

dealing with other points

gee if playing violent games doesnt promote violence
                why did I have to help the net cafe staff break up a fight last week?

no one commented on the sexist attitude

hello the whole homophobia anti women thing

people maybe gamers nearby you dont do this but I'm pretty sure the ones I've met dont use the B-word as a comment

SG1 is not just a military team - the episodes I like best tend to be the ones in which there's a non military solution!

I'ld rather see a game in which people save lives
                in which O'Neill has to use his electrical engineering skills instead of just shooting someone or a game in which Tea'c is put in a role where he is challenged by having to do the translating for a change

and anyone who thinks shooter stalker games are okay needs to pay more attention to the nightly news - was it last week or the week before a 13 year old on her way to school got killed cos someone had a shoot first ask questions later attitude

shouldnt the way we play be ethical too?

postscript - I'm also disappointed that the studio and mgm authorised a shooter game - does anyone know who we can complain to?
                Last edited by neith4; 24 November 2004, 08:57 PM. Reason: ading someting extra on at end
                Keep the science in SciFi!

Comment

Being by far the youngest of many siblings, I have a lot of nieces and nephews. I'm continually amazed at the kind of games they are able (and very very keen ) to play at such a young age. But I don't think violent games promote violence in real life - for people old and wise enough to know the difference. Children are a different matter, but this is where parental discretion comes in.

I mean violence is all around us all the time and always has been - TV, movies, news, games and yes, even real life. So I don't think games can be singled out as the main culprit. On Stargate itself, countless of potentially innocent Jaffa have been killed.

At least we don't take our children to watch a friendly beheading anymore, or show them a nice gladiator combat complete with weapons and exotic animals.

I guess it *could* be argued that violence is part of human nature and I muchp prefer it to be confinded to non-reality.

Imagine if Bush and Saddam had gone to an internet cafe and fought to the death in a first person shooter instead?

people maybe gamers nearby you dont do this but I'm pretty sure the ones I've met dont use the B-word as a comment
                  Well I don't think all gamers are sexist. Or homophobic. I know plenty who certianly aren't. And both women and homosexuals do actually play fps games.

That said, the whole gaming industry is definitely still geared towards young heterosexual males. They are seen as the prime market and there most certainly have been some disgusting and sexist games developed.
                  But that is true for most industries, and like most industries, i think it is improving...very very slowly.
                  SG1 is not just a military team - the episodes I like best tend to be the ones in which there's a non military solution!

in which O'Neill has to use his electrical engineering skills instead of just shooting someone or a game in which Tea'c is put in a role where he is challenged by having to do the translating for a change
                  I totally agree that sg1 is more than a military operation. One of my favourite episodes is Torment of Tantalus...and that was most definitely non violent.

But the military-combat style episodes outweigh the others by far. I'm glad there is a place for both though.
                  There is a good chance saving lives will come into the game too...sg1 does a lot of rescuing, frees a lot of people from oppression...you know, those everyday jobs. Of course, to do that, they often have to kill or thwart the oppressors...
                  and anyone who thinks shooter stalker games are okay needs to pay more attention to the nightly news - was it last week or the week before a 13 year old on her way to school got killed cos someone had a shoot first ask questions later attitude

I think fps games are an acceptable choice...and I watch the news every day.
                  postscript - I'm also disappointed that the studio and mgm authorised a shooter game - does anyone know who we can complain to?
                  If I were you, I'd see if there were other people who thought the same and write to mgm as a group. They probably won't pay attention to just one email (oh yeah, and I'd do it in writing, not electronic).

Comment

Im not quite sure about this, so dont qoute me, but I beleive during a interview with the devolper company doing "Alliance" have stated there intrest in not only doing one Stargate Theme'd game, and mentioned along side that they would like to investigate the possiblity to RTS (Civilization, Command And Conquer, Total War, etc), and other genre of games. Considering they picked a First-Person Shooter as there first title (along with MGM's nudgeing of course) as there first title is quite normal. After all, games like Halo, Half-Life, selling over 4 Million in there first three days of sales says people like the First Person action shooters.

I hope The Alliance is good, and I hope if it is, they get a greenlight for a RTS Themed Stargate project, as it would definitly be intresting.

Comment

well at least a couple of people got the message that the problem is that shooter games dont prompt ethics - like thou shalt not kill as a commandment exists in buddhism as well as the western religions?

dealing with other points

I considered seriously red dinging you for your opinions.......but even if everything you said was true and valid........I'd still ignore you and play and advocate these games you bewail and condemn. So I will continue to not participate in the behavior modification point system and cheer the games you detest from concept to production. And I'd feel good about it.

Comment

How can an SG-1 game not be a first person shooter? Even if they made it an rpg or something, there'd be no way to avoid the killing aspect of it. That's what most military games are about... Shooting the enemy and blowing things up. Anything else would be... well... boring.

Dude... that was insulting.

Comment

Its really not nice to roll your eyes at people who disagree with you. Its also not nice to characterize all those who enjoy a FPS game as homophobic violent sexists.

Violence has existed for far longer than the advent of violent video games. It has existed for longer than violent movies or TV shows. Is it important for parents to monitor the playing or viewing habits of their young children? Absolutely. But all entertainment can not be geared towards young children, lest we end up with all Barney, all the time.

Young adults or full-grown adults have been fighting each other since the beginning of humanity, and as someone else pointed out, for most of human history violent entertainment was in the form of watching living people kill each other.

Western society, with all of its violent imagery, has never been as peaceful as it is in modern times. For all of the violence in games, movies, TV, etc., the value assigned to a human life has never been higher. On other other hand, a huge part of the rest of the world has no access to our forms of entertainment, yet they are the least safe, most violent and inhumane places on the planet -- and lets not start on how women are treated...

Sexism is everywhere, even on SG-1 at times. Not all FPS games are sexist -- my example of Halo earlier -- I'd be happier playing a female Master Chief, but I don't get any sexism or homophobia from the game.

Profanity is yet another thing which exists independently of video games. Its always been around, and plenty of people of all ages who never play these games use those words all the time.

The patronizing tone is also not very nice. Those who think shooter games are ok may watch the news all the time, but we may think that violent behavior has been around for far longer. Was there any indication that the shooter of the 13 year old in question was playing out some video game fantasy? Do we think that a person who had such fantasies of killing people would have been deterred by the lack of such images?

Comment

I disagree.
                            First of all, good parents keep an eye on these things.
                            If the game is to violent, they won't let the children buy it.
                            Or play it.

Second, the government keeps a lid on these things.
                            At least, they do in the Netherlands.
                            There is a special branch of the government which rates TV's shows, movies and Games.
                            So you're agrument about 13-year olds buying violent games is wrong.
                            For most violent games you have to be at least 16.
                            sigpic

SGU Continued....

Comment

One thing I want to say.... No matter what ANYONE does, there will ALWAYS be someone who can and will complain about it.
                              sigpic
                              In the infinite expanse that we occupy, whose to say that something's impossible?

Comment

Working...
                              X