PDA

View Full Version : Question about Odyssey cloak in AOT

I_C_Ancients
December 21st, 2008, 10:09 AM
What device cloaks the odyssey in the Ark of Truth, cos i thought we hadn't mastered cloaking tech???

s09119
December 21st, 2008, 10:12 AM
What device cloaks the odyssey in the Ark of Truth, cos i thought we hadn't mastered cloaking tech???

It was never said. Daniel plugged in a ZPM and suddenly could cloak.

Crazedwraith
December 21st, 2008, 10:22 AM
They have the entire repository of Asgard tech & Knowledge. We know they have decent starship cloaks.

s09119
December 21st, 2008, 10:26 AM
They have the entire repository of Asgard tech & Knowledge. We know they have decent starship cloaks.

The ship was able to cloak prior to this, in "The Shroud." And we have never seen an Asgard ship cloak.

Crazedwraith
December 21st, 2008, 10:30 AM
The ship was able to cloak prior to this, in "The Shroud." And we have never seen an Asgard ship cloak.

Season 3 explicitly refers both to an asgard cloaking device albeit a personnel one and the fact that Asgard vessels have never been spotted in earth orbit by telescopes or any other detection equipment.

So yes they do have cloaks. They just don't show Asgard ships as invisible for artistic readings: ie seeing O'Neill beamed into a big large bit of empty space isn't impressive/

sg1adam
December 21st, 2008, 10:46 AM
From what I remember, Daniel didn't know how he did it, except that having the ZPM helped.

S10 ep 14 I think.

hedwig
December 21st, 2008, 11:00 AM
From what I remember, Daniel didn't know how he did it, except that having the ZPM helped.

S10 ep 14 I think.

I may be misremembering, but didn't Daniel's information about the cloaking abilities come from the "ancient" information in his head, and when he lost that information he forgot how to make the cloak work?

Sealurk
December 21st, 2008, 11:01 AM
Given how a Puddle Jumper's cloak can be reconfigured into a shield and Atlantis can cloak once tied into a Puddle Jumper, I always thought it was implied that the two technologies are closely linked.

The impression I get is that a dedicated cloak can become a crude shield, and a dedicated shield can become a crude cloak - in either case, the power requirements for performing the operation NOT intended by its design are much higher. That's just how I've interpreted it though...

So I'd speculate that it's just the Asgard shields modified into a cloak, something that can only be done with a ZPM due to much higher power requirements.

s09119
December 21st, 2008, 11:12 AM
Season 3 explicitly refers both to an asgard cloaking device albeit a personnel one and the fact that Asgard vessels have never been spotted in earth orbit by telescopes or any other detection equipment.

So yes they do have cloaks. They just don't show Asgard ships as invisible for artistic readings: ie seeing O'Neill beamed into a big large bit of empty space isn't impressive/

No, they have personal cloaking devices. That's all we know. It's entirely feasible that no one has ever looked at the right place at the right time to see an Asgard ship. Saying anything else has no proof.

Integrabyte
December 21st, 2008, 11:35 AM
Just another unexplained thing in Stargate.

Xaeden
December 21st, 2008, 11:40 AM
I may be misremembering, but didn't Daniel's information about the cloaking abilities come from the "ancient" information in his head, and when he lost that information he forgot how to make the cloak work?

Yeah, that's basically it - Daniel-Merlin did it. How exactly was never explained, he just said it was easier now that the the Odyssey has a ZPM. Then when the last of Merlin left him he had no idea how he did it, but the ability to switch between the shield and the cloak remained.

AscendedThor
December 21st, 2008, 12:41 PM
a Wizard did it! (Merlin in Daniel's brain)

spinny magee
December 21st, 2008, 01:16 PM

Yep, but maybe the crew of the Odyssey learned how to turn on the cloak.

Crazedwraith
December 21st, 2008, 01:58 PM
No, they have personal cloaking devices. That's all we know. It's entirely feasible that no one has ever looked at the right place at the right time to see an Asgard ship. Saying anything else has no proof.

NORAD searched constantly in Nemesis for Thor's ship after O'Neill was beamed up. It's not a matter of chance, they were actively searching for it and couldn't find it.

There is stealth tech involved.

Rise Of The Phoenix
December 21st, 2008, 02:56 PM
NORAD searched constantly in Nemesis for Thor's ship after O'Neill was beamed up. It's not a matter of chance, they were actively searching for it and couldn't find it.

There is stealth tech involved.

I remember that and agree.

As far as how it's done, Daniel essentially had the same mind abilities as the Prior's and if you recall Adria (who I think had the same abilities) was able to repair the Ori Mothership when it's power generators were blown up by Cam's C4 in Counterstrike (SG1 season 10) without going anywhere near the actual generators, so I think Daniel probably just modified the Shield emitters in a similar way to how Rodney modified Atlantis's shields into a cloak in the Siege part 3 (SGA season 2), using his Prior mind powers.

Stargate Answers
December 21st, 2008, 03:00 PM
It is most likely that when daniel cloaked the ship their was probably logs made about the processes which daniel used to do it. The ability was probably left there after daniel switched back to normal and forgot how to. All that the crew needed to learn was how to turn it on and off

Also it was never mentioned that a shield generator needed more power to create a cloaking field. In fact during an episode of atlantis it said the opposite.

They said the cloak would use less power then running a shield. But then size might be the difference here, there is no way the oddy is anything near the size of atlantis.

Also adria didn't repair the generators after cam tried to detonate his C4 did you even hear an explosion. no it is more likely what happened was adria switched of the C4 using her mind powers, she never actually changed anything to do with the generators

Col. Rose
December 21st, 2008, 03:51 PM
I remember that and agree.

As far as how it's done, Daniel essentially had the same mind abilities as the Prior's and if you recall Adria (who I think had the same abilities) was able to repair the Ori Mothership when it's power generators were blown up by Cam's C4 in Counterstrike (SG1 season 10) without going anywhere near the actual generators, so I think Daniel probably just modified the Shield emitters in a similar way to how Rodney modified Atlantis's shields into a cloak in the Siege part 3 (SGA season 2), using his Prior mind powers.

Cam never blew up the generators Adria used her wacky mind powers to stop the detonator from receiving the signal.

Rise Of The Phoenix
December 21st, 2008, 05:36 PM
It's been a while since I last saw that episode, I had it in my head that she did repair the generators, after reading Stargate Answers and Col. Rose posts and Gateworld's description of that episode it appears I was wrong on that, but I still think that must have been how Daniel created the cloak, by using his Prior mind powers to tinker with the shield emitters on board the Odyssey, so that they can create either a shield or cloaking field.

sg1adam
December 22nd, 2008, 01:27 AM

You could be right. I haven't got the DVD's to check against, not that I would as I'm not that much of a geek to go scouring through them just to be right on any given topic.

thekillman
December 22nd, 2008, 01:31 AM
it has to do with the emission frequency. daniel reconfigured the Generator with his fancy powers, possibly even using asgard beaming tech.

didnt it take several hours for carter to switch the thing off again?

Stargate Answers
December 22nd, 2008, 02:41 AM
Daniel might have just changed the software that operates the shield emitters everything has software to make it work.

I'm not sure but it is possible that he may have changed the emitters physically in some way. I say it's not likely. It's possible that all that the only thing that needs to be changed is the frequencies on which these emitters work. Not much has been said about what the difference between a shield generator and a cloak generator is. There both generators so maybe there is no significant difference

Col. Rose
December 22nd, 2008, 06:24 PM
it has to do with the emission frequency. daniel reconfigured the Generator with his fancy powers, possibly even using asgard beaming tech.

didnt it take several hours for carter to switch the thing off again?

It was not mentioned how long it took to turn the cloak off, or whether it has anything to do emission frequency. At the time he had Merlin's consciousness and the knowledge and powers that Adria gave him when she turned him into a prior. With that kind of knowledge it probably wouldn't be that hard to cloak a ship, especially since the Odyssey is loaded with all that advanced Asgard tech. and since it has a Z.P.M. it has more than enough power to cloak even for an extended period of time.

Rise Of The Phoenix
December 23rd, 2008, 08:23 AM
I thought that Carter didn't tweak the Asgard transporter beaming tech to a matter converter until Unending so I don't think that Daniel would have had that at his disposal unless Merlin's consciousness figured out how to tweak the tech temporarily to make things with his mind and make the parts needed to add to the emitters.

I'd have to agree it was either down to the programming or some physical change in the emitters themselves, perhaps even a combination of both as if just the emitters were permanently changed to cloaking generators that's all they would be and no longer capable of creating the shield unless they were physically changed back or swapped for new ones that were just shield emitters again.

AtlantisAssassin
December 23rd, 2008, 09:50 AM
Given how a Puddle Jumper's cloak can be reconfigured into a shield and Atlantis can cloak once tied into a Puddle Jumper, I always thought it was implied that the two technologies are closely linked.

The impression I get is that a dedicated cloak can become a crude shield, and a dedicated shield can become a crude cloak - in either case, the power requirements for performing the operation NOT intended by its design are much higher. That's just how I've interpreted it though...

So I'd speculate that it's just the Asgard shields modified into a cloak, something that can only be done with a ZPM due to much higher power requirements.

I concour with this idea (saves me having to type it out)

lol :)