Question about Odyssey cloak in AOT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about Odyssey cloak in AOT

What device cloaks the odyssey in the Ark of Truth, cos i thought we hadn't mastered cloaking tech???
    "Don't call us, we'll call you"

--

sigpic

Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Favorite Stargate Quote:

For the record, I hate you.
    Well, it can't get any worse, then, can it?
    Oh, no. I'm rapidly working up to despise.
    Spoiler:
    Everyone: "Go Metric"
    Proud Member Of The Bunny Cult
    (\/)
    (oo)
    (")(")

Originally posted by I_C_Ancients View Post
    What device cloaks the odyssey in the Ark of Truth, cos i thought we hadn't mastered cloaking tech???
    It was never said. Daniel plugged in a ZPM and suddenly could cloak.
    Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
    Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

They have the entire repository of Asgard tech & Knowledge. We know they have decent starship cloaks.
      sigpic
      Banner By JME2

Comment

Originally posted by Crazedwraith View Post
        They have the entire repository of Asgard tech & Knowledge. We know they have decent starship cloaks.
        The ship was able to cloak prior to this, in "The Shroud." And we have never seen an Asgard ship cloak.
        Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
        Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
          The ship was able to cloak prior to this, in "The Shroud." And we have never seen an Asgard ship cloak.
          Season 3 explicitly refers both to an asgard cloaking device albeit a personnel one and the fact that Asgard vessels have never been spotted in earth orbit by telescopes or any other detection equipment.

So yes they do have cloaks. They just don't show Asgard ships as invisible for artistic readings: ie seeing O'Neill beamed into a big large bit of empty space isn't impressive/
          sigpic
          Banner By JME2

Comment

From what I remember, Daniel didn't know how he did it, except that having the ZPM helped.

S10 ep 14 I think.
            http://www.myspace.com/adam_1973

Comment

Originally posted by sg1adam View Post
              From what I remember, Daniel didn't know how he did it, except that having the ZPM helped.

S10 ep 14 I think.
              I may be misremembering, but didn't Daniel's information about the cloaking abilities come from the "ancient" information in his head, and when he lost that information he forgot how to make the cloak work?

Comment

Given how a Puddle Jumper's cloak can be reconfigured into a shield and Atlantis can cloak once tied into a Puddle Jumper, I always thought it was implied that the two technologies are closely linked.

The impression I get is that a dedicated cloak can become a crude shield, and a dedicated shield can become a crude cloak - in either case, the power requirements for performing the operation NOT intended by its design are much higher. That's just how I've interpreted it though...

So I'd speculate that it's just the Asgard shields modified into a cloak, something that can only be done with a ZPM due to much higher power requirements.
                And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
                sigpic
                Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

Season 3 explicitly refers both to an asgard cloaking device albeit a personnel one and the fact that Asgard vessels have never been spotted in earth orbit by telescopes or any other detection equipment.

So yes they do have cloaks. They just don't show Asgard ships as invisible for artistic readings: ie seeing O'Neill beamed into a big large bit of empty space isn't impressive/
                  No, they have personal cloaking devices. That's all we know. It's entirely feasible that no one has ever looked at the right place at the right time to see an Asgard ship. Saying anything else has no proof.

Comment

Just another unexplained thing in Stargate.

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                      I may be misremembering, but didn't Daniel's information about the cloaking abilities come from the "ancient" information in his head, and when he lost that information he forgot how to make the cloak work?
                      Yeah, that's basically it - Daniel-Merlin did it. How exactly was never explained, he just said it was easier now that the the Odyssey has a ZPM. Then when the last of Merlin left him he had no idea how he did it, but the ability to switch between the shield and the cloak remained.

Comment

a Wizard did it! (Merlin in Daniel's brain)

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                          Yep, but maybe the crew of the Odyssey learned how to turn on the cloak.
                          Tst

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                            No, they have personal cloaking devices. That's all we know. It's entirely feasible that no one has ever looked at the right place at the right time to see an Asgard ship. Saying anything else has no proof.
                            NORAD searched constantly in Nemesis for Thor's ship after O'Neill was beamed up. It's not a matter of chance, they were actively searching for it and couldn't find it.

There is stealth tech involved.
                            sigpic
                            Banner By JME2

Comment

NORAD searched constantly in Nemesis for Thor's ship after O'Neill was beamed up. It's not a matter of chance, they were actively searching for it and couldn't find it.

There is stealth tech involved.
                              I remember that and agree.

As far as how it's done, Daniel essentially had the same mind abilities as the Prior's and if you recall Adria (who I think had the same abilities) was able to repair the Ori Mothership when it's power generators were blown up by Cam's C4 in Counterstrike (SG1 season 10) without going anywhere near the actual generators, so I think Daniel probably just modified the Shield emitters in a similar way to how Rodney modified Atlantis's shields into a cloak in the Siege part 3 (SGA season 2), using his Prior mind powers.

Comment

Working...
                              X