PDA

View Full Version : Why!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Im very sad

major davis
December 19th, 2008, 06:05 AM
I am sad the next sg-1 movie will( if it gets green lit) will film in 2009 but will be released in 2010? TPTB wanted to do 3 mabye 4 movies a year but it looks like they will only be doing only the atlantis movie next year. why!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pharaoh Hamenthotep
December 19th, 2008, 06:35 AM
... Because they're human and not robots? They all have other commitments and real lives to live. They probably found out that making 4 movies a year is just too much work.

Jeffala
December 19th, 2008, 06:59 AM
As Pharaoh said, there's only so much time in a year. (Also, there's only so much money to go around.)

Nikki
December 19th, 2008, 07:03 AM
I have to admit I'm also not very pleased with the number of SG1 movies coming out every year but like Pharaoh Hamenthotep has pointed out, all the actors have moved on. They all have other primary commitments and for better or worse SG1 has taken a back seat for them. Because of this fact I can understand why filming is set for summer 2009 and because of that the writers seem to be taking their time with the script as well. It seems like filming is only possible every summer, so I'm not expecting more than one movie every year.

eliteaceman
December 19th, 2008, 07:17 AM
hmmm a movie is what 2 hours? which is basically 2 episodes... how longs it take to film 2 episodes?

cmuty
December 19th, 2008, 07:20 AM
Perhaps the creators (all inclusive: producers, writers, actors, etc.) don't find this show as much a part of their lives as do the fans? Something to think about

major davis
December 19th, 2008, 07:24 AM
Still, I thought they would at least tell us they are moving on and that stargate is no longer they're pritoriy(if it is true). They should at least tell us they were too ambitious and they will only make 1-2 movies a year. They owe us that.

Pharaoh Atem
December 19th, 2008, 07:47 AM
... Because they're human and not robots? They all have other commitments and real lives to live. They probably found out that making 4 movies a year is just too much work.

and also universe got a green lit so their have to deal with that now

Pharaoh Hamenthotep
December 19th, 2008, 07:56 AM
hmmm a movie is what 2 hours? which is basically 2 episodes... how longs it take to film 2 episodes?
New SG-1 movies will probably take a lot longer to film... you need someone to write it, direct it, a team to work on the special effects, another to work on the sound effects and music, someone to find locations... and get all the actors in the same place at the same time when they all have new projects going on....

sinfuldraconis
December 19th, 2008, 09:10 AM
Just because they are filming in summer of '09, doesn't mean they couldn't be aired in '09. It only took 15 days each for the other two movies to film. It's more of a post production thing.

editorguy
December 19th, 2008, 09:11 AM
Still, I thought they would at least tell us they are moving on and that stargate is no longer they're pritoriy(if it is true). They should at least tell us they were too ambitious and they will only make 1-2 movies a year. They owe us that.

No. No they don't.

jenks
December 19th, 2008, 09:37 AM
I think people are forgetting that it doesn't matter how much Brad Wright or the actors want to make a film, it's not up to them.

Floo
December 19th, 2008, 10:42 AM
i wouldn't be unhappy with one stargate movie a year

Anon
December 19th, 2008, 11:07 AM
because people are going to move on. that is life. SG-1 cant live for ever. Its like the stock market, it goes up, it goes down, get over it.

Jumper_One
December 19th, 2008, 11:33 AM
I am sad the next sg-1 movie will( if it gets green lit) will film in 2009 but will be released in 2010? TPTB wanted to do 3 mabye 4 movies a year

no they didn't. Joe said

Linda Gagne writes: “To those with the thoughts that tptb won’t do more than one movie, sadly, I have a feeling they don’t care about Atlantis and that will happen.”

Answer: Provided enough fans tune in to watch the television premiere and purchase the dvd, there will be plenty of Atlantis movies to come.
http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/09/13/september-13-2008-fans-protest-main-title-compressed-some-questions-addressed/

DasNdanger also writes: “Is it possible that this movie is merely a ‘bone’ tossed to both fans and crew/cast alike to appease them, with no intention of making a second or third movie down the line?”

Answer: Definitely not. Much will depend on how it performs but we’re confident that this will be the first of many Atlantis movies.

DasNdanger also writes: “If the first movie is well-supported and successful, then how often do you see SGA movies being produced? Once a year? Twice? More - less?”

Answer: This is a scheduling issue. I think that we could produce as many as three Stargate (either SG-1 or Atlantis) movies a year. Four is a longshot but very possible.

DasNdanger writes: “If all goes well, what do you foresee as the earliest possible release ‘date’ (i.e. beginning/middle/end of a particular year) for the first movie? Latest date?”

Answer: No idea. This would be a question for MGM and Sci Fi.
http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/08/23/august-23-2008-questions-answers-guests-and-pics/

BW said

BW: [...] Having said that, internally Robert and I are a little bit torn, because we had such a good time making The Ark of Truth and Stargate: Continuum. Making one or two of those a year would be a damn fine thing to do, honestly. It takes up a big chunk of time writing it, a big chunk of time making it, and the post on a movie is more than twice as complicated as post on the biggest episodes. It's not like you can just knock one off while you're making a television show. It's just too much.

I also know that Stargate Universe is a good idea for a television show.
http://www.gateworld.net/interviews/breaking_the_ice_part_2.shtml

GW: So are there plans to start shooting either of these movies the first of this [next] year?

BW: Soon. There's obviously deals that have to be put into place, and scripts to be written. I had a third Stargate movie idea during the shooting of Continuum, I started coming up with the idea. That one could happen sooner rather than later ... but I may be very busy, too.

Next year could be a very, very busy year for Stargate. Let's put it that way!

**snip**

GW: I see filming in '07 and then the movies came out in '08, and seemed to be doing so well in sales, that I just kept waiting for MGM to say, "Let's do more! Let's do more!" But now if we're looking at shooting them in '09, is it going to be 2010 before we see SG-1 again?

BW: [...] Keep in mind: Nobody really knew ... we had a lot of faith that the Stargate movies were going to do really well, but they surprised everybody. Robert and I maybe were the least surprised, because of our belief in what we were trying to do -- but maybe everyone feels that way who makes a movie! But they surprised a lot of people, and it did well enough that I think things might happen faster the second time around.

GW: That would be nice!

BW: It would be!
http://www.gateworld.net/interviews/all_good_things_....shtml

Thesp3aker writes: “If the first movie’s a success, how long do you think future movies would keep being produced for?”

Answer: Indefinitely. So long as they’re profitable, I can’t see any reason why MGM would want to stop making them.
http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/08/26/august-26-2008-author-catherynne-m-valente-answers-your-questions-and-carl-binder-takes-us-on-a-virtual-tour/

but it looks like they will only be doing only the atlantis movie next year. why!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nope ;)

ShardsofGlass writes: “On November 17 you said the SG-1 DVD movie had been greenlighted. Then on the 18th, you said that there was only a plan to produce one SGA movie next year. Does that mean, even though SG-1 was greenlighted, it won’t be made next year?”

Answer: The SG-1 movie and the SGA movie are two different movies. Both will be produced next year.
http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/11/20/november-20-2008-tokyo-travel-spinning-stargate-universe-day-8-and-the-mailbag/

spinny magee
December 19th, 2008, 12:18 PM
They a have a new series remember so they gotta work on that too.

kennythewraith
December 19th, 2008, 01:28 PM
i never believed that theyd be able to put out 3 or 4 mvies a year...that would take up too much time of the year and these people have families and some even have newborns who take up a lot of time.if they make one every year or so ill be happy.its more than any other show gets after its run is up.be thankfull we get any movies at all and enjoy when they come out

Morrolan
December 19th, 2008, 01:57 PM

You are comparing apples and oranges. Two 1 hour episodes of a series can take days to film. A 2 hour feature film can take months or years.

jenks
December 19th, 2008, 02:22 PM
i never believed that theyd be able to put out 3 or 4 mvies a year...that would take up too much time of the year and these people have families and some even have newborns who take up a lot of time.if they make one every year or so ill be happy.its more than any other show gets after its run is up.be thankfull we get any movies at all and enjoy when they come out

I doubt the time involved has much to do with it, shooting a season takes just as long.

Morrolan
December 19th, 2008, 03:45 PM
I doubt the time involved has much to do with it, shooting a season takes just as long.

It does have alot to do with it. Most of the cast are involved in other projects. They can't just drop everything to film a new Stargate movie. Most of the crew work on other series and films throughout the year. And I am sure that they do want some time with family and friends. It's not like a series ends and the cast and crew just sit at home.

jenks
December 19th, 2008, 03:50 PM
It does have alot to do with it. Most of the cast are involved in other projects. They can't just drop everything to film a new Stargate movie. Most of the crew work on other series and films throughout the year. And I am sure that they do want some time with family and friends. It's not like a series ends and the cast and crew just sit at home.

Amanda Tapping is the only one who's in full-time employment, and that's only a 13 episode (I think) season, I doubt she'd be unwilling to give up 8 weeks of her time to film 2 movies, especially when she probably gets paid a lot more for these than Sanctuary. The crew are expendable, they can hire any professionals to do those jobs.

Acolyte Of Bli'l'ab
December 19th, 2008, 04:16 PM
I'd rather have one good stargate film a year than 4 maybe not as good ones. Stretching oneself thin is never good, better to focus on quality over quantity. Hopefully the next one will be an asskicker.

Morrolan
December 19th, 2008, 07:16 PM
Amanda Tapping is the only one who's in full-time employment, and that's only a 13 episode (I think) season, I doubt she'd be unwilling to give up 8 weeks of her time to film 2 movies, especially when she probably gets paid a lot more for these than Sanctuary. The crew are expendable, they can hire any professionals to do those jobs.

Where are you getting 8 weeks from? Maybe 8 weeks on a frantic shooting schedule. But there's rehearsals, promotional tours, meetings, etc.

Current or finished projects:

Michael Shanks- Desperate Escape, Living Out Loud, Stargate Atlantis, Burn Notice

Christopher Judge- Stargate Atlantis

Amanda Tapping- Stargate Atlantis, Sanctuary

RDA- Nothing

Ben Browder- Nothing

Claudia Black- Wargames: The Dead Code, Moonlight

Beau Bridges- Don't Fade Away, Dirty Politics, Max Payne, My Name Is Earl, Family Practice, Single With Parents

These are the projects the cast has been working on in 2008 according to IMDB. Michael Shanks and Beau Bridges have been pretty damn busy.

jenks
December 19th, 2008, 07:32 PM
Beau Bridges is the only one likely to be any trouble to sign, and he's the most expendable. They shoot on the same sort of schedules they did for the series, so 4 weeks per movie is plenty, as a double episode is done in 2. Promotional tours and rehearsals aren't really needed for this sort of project, and meetings for the actors aren't likely to take much time. In fact if I remember correctly, AoT only took about 3 weeks to shoot, and Continuum only took longer because they went to the Arctic. 2 movies a year for each series (4 over all) would be well within the realms of possibility, though not very likely.

the fifth man
December 19th, 2008, 07:42 PM
While I would love to have several SG-1 movies every year, I know that isn't a real possibility. So, I just have to be content with the one or so a year we get. One is way better than none at all.

majorsal
December 19th, 2008, 07:47 PM
i'm very disappointed in how long we have to wait for the 3rd sg1 movie. :(

the fifth man
December 19th, 2008, 07:58 PM
i'm very disappointed in how long we have to wait for the 3rd sg1 movie. :(

Believe me, I am saddened by it too.:( But I kind of figured something like this might happen, what with Universe getting into full swing soon. I am just happy that we know for certain we will be getting a third movie. That the story of SG-1 will continue.

Morrolan
December 19th, 2008, 11:43 PM
Beau Bridges is the only one likely to be any trouble to sign, and he's the most expendable. They shoot on the same sort of schedules they did for the series, so 4 weeks per movie is plenty, as a double episode is done in 2. Promotional tours and rehearsals aren't really needed for this sort of project, and meetings for the actors aren't likely to take much time. In fact if I remember correctly, AoT only took about 3 weeks to shoot, and Continuum only took longer because they went to the Arctic. 2 movies a year for each series (4 over all) would be well within the realms of possibility, though not very likely.

So, the franchise should pump out 4 movie of the weeks every year? What's the point. The whole point of continuing the franchise in movie form is to make the experience grander than the television show.

They promoted the hell out of AoT and Continuum. Now promotion isn't needed?

Ark of Truth looked rushed. 3 weeks is not enough time to put together a quality feature film. Morena Baccarin's role was filmed in a single day and it showed. Very rushed and very forgettable.

Continuum was a much better production, but didn't have much more punch than a normal two parter.

There's simply no reason to continue with the series if there are 4 television episodes a year on DVD. I would much rather the money be put into the new series or saved for a single feature film each or every two years.

jenks
December 19th, 2008, 11:52 PM
So, the franchise should pump out 4 movie of the weeks every year?

Did I say anything even remotely close to that?

What's the point. The whole point of continuing the franchise in movie form is to make the experience grander than the television show.

No, the point of continuing the franchise in movie form is to make money.

They promoted the hell out of AoT and Continuum. Now promotion isn't needed?

They don't need the actors to promote the movie.

Ark of Truth looked rushed. 3 weeks is not enough time to put together a quality feature film. Morena Baccarin's role was filmed in a single day and it showed. Very rushed and very forgettable.

Your opinion.

Continuum was a much better production, but didn't have much more punch than a normal two parter.

See above.

There's simply no reason to continue with the series if there are 4 television episodes a year on DVD. I would much rather the money be put into the new series or saved for a single feature film each or every two years.

Have I at any point said they should make 4 movies a year? All I've said is that they could, if they wanted to.

Morrolan
December 20th, 2008, 01:17 AM
Did I say anything even remotely close to that? Why are you even arguing it then? You said it was in the realm of possibility. It is not possible for the production team to release 4 quality feature length movies each year.

No, the point of continuing the franchise in movie form is to make money. There's not going to be money made on rushed releases every year simply to have 4 stargate dvds each year.

They don't need the actors to promote the movie. Oh that's right. Just send the grip or the production assistant to the conventions and premieres. Of course they need the actors to promote the movies.

Your opinion. No, it's fact. Her delivery was very robotic and heavily edited.

See above. Yes, it is my opinion of Continuum that is was no better than Moebius in scope.

Have I at any point said they should make 4 movies a year? All I've said is that they could, if they wanted to. No, they couldn't unless all parties involved had no other obligations and the studios and stages were available for at least 8 months out of the year. Financing is completely another issue, and no intelligent capitalist would fund 4 films a year given the low chance of return. There is also the third series to consider. While the financing is secured from different sources, it's still the same production company.

jenks
December 20th, 2008, 02:33 AM
Why are you even arguing it then? You said it was in the realm of possibility. It is not possible for the production team to release 4 quality feature length movies each year.

Arguing what? That they could make 4 movies in a year? They could, but I never said they should.

There's not going to be money made on rushed releases every year simply to have 4 stargate dvds each year.

They wouldn't need to be rushed.

Oh that's right. Just send the grip or the production assistant to the conventions and premieres. Of course they need the actors to promote the movies.

Anyone who goes to a convention already knows about the movie, and premier? They're DVD movies! They don't need the actors that much, and even if they did, why would it be such an issue? Other than Amanda they're all free.

No, it's fact. Her delivery was very robotic and heavily edited.

No, that's your opinion, you're the first person I've seen to comment on her acting being any different to that in the series.

Yes, it is my opinion of Continuum that is was no better than Moebius in scope.

In my opinion it was a class above, but this is all subjective, there is no right answer.

No, they couldn't unless all parties involved had no other obligations and the studios and stages were available for at least 8 months out of the year.

Why would they need 8 months? The shooting could be done in as little as 8 weeks if you shoot two at a time.

Financing is completely another issue, and no intelligent capitalist would fund 4 films a year given the low chance of return. There is also the third series to consider. While the financing is secured from different sources, it's still the same production company.

Low chance of return? The movies are a cash cow, both of them have far exceeded what MGM predicted their sales would be.

Mongoletsi
December 20th, 2008, 05:20 AM

Dude. Series aren't shot episode-by-episode. Filming one day might use a certain set of actors, and certain sets, which are used in several distinct episodes.

jenks
December 20th, 2008, 01:48 PM
Dude. Series aren't shot episode-by-episode. Filming one day might use a certain set of actors, and certain sets, which are used in several distinct episodes.

Yes they are, well the Stargate series are anyway. Two episodes takes two weeks to film.

MartianManhunter
December 30th, 2008, 12:29 PM
I am sad the next sg-1 movie will( if it gets green lit) will film in 2009 but will be released in 2010? TPTB wanted to do 3 mabye 4 movies a year but it looks like they will only be doing only the atlantis movie next year. why!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Because life sucks! But its cool, just be glad that were getting more movies at all. The first two did well, and I for one am just glad that our adventures through the gate aren't dont quite yet.

Madwelshboy
December 31st, 2008, 07:38 AM
Because life sucks! But its cool, just be glad that were getting more movies at all. The first two did well, and I for one am just glad that our adventures through the gate aren't dont quite yet.

Indeed! something is better than nothin. in all fairness fans should feel lucky that the cast, crew and producers still carre enough and want to be involved with SG1. In most cases once a show ends thats it, everyone moves on to other things and dont look back even if the fans of that show want more. but in the case of stargate we have been lucky enough already to have 2 direct to dvds movies with a least one more to look forward to.

the fifth man
January 1st, 2009, 06:39 PM
Indeed! something is better than nothin. in all fairness fans should feel lucky that the cast, crew and producers still carre enough and want to be involved with SG1. In most cases once a show ends thats it, everyone moves on to other things and dont look back even if the fans of that show want more. but in the case of stargate we have been lucky enough already to have 2 direct to dvds movies with a least one more to look forward to.

Yeah, we should feel lucky. These SG-1 movies are a gift, not something we are entitled to. I will cherish every one we are lucky enough to get.

the fifth man
January 1st, 2009, 06:43 PM

Amen to that, my friend.:)

silly sally
January 2nd, 2009, 02:02 AM
Yeah, we should feel lucky. These SG-1 movies are a gift, not something we are entitled to. I will cherish every one we are lucky enough to get.

Oh, come on a gift??? TPTB make good money with them, they're not giving them for free!

Madwelshboy
January 2nd, 2009, 08:21 AM
Oh, come on a gift??? TPTB make good money with them, they're not giving them for free!

i think the point is that they dont have to make them at all.

StarCapnRa
January 2nd, 2009, 08:48 AM

Money.TPTB are probably feeling out the demand for such movies. If they prove to sell well, then they might ratchet up production. Remember that the show and movies based on the show are a commercial product and as such have to be economically viable.

silly sally
January 2nd, 2009, 09:55 AM
i think the point is that they dont have to make them at all.

Trust me, if they weren't very profitable we wouldn't see anymore movies...

StarCapnRa
January 2nd, 2009, 12:06 PM

No. No they don't.

True. They put out a product that the viewers enjoyed. Now they may or may not make more of that product. They don't OWE us anything. However, in the interests of not alienating portions of their potential audience, they should show some consideration and make some sort of announcement - if only to show that they are not taking that audience for granted.

Col.Foley
January 2nd, 2009, 06:45 PM
My two cents is I do not see how one or two movies a year, one for each show, is beyond their powers to make if they are interested in making them for the future.

SlayerboyM88
January 2nd, 2009, 08:38 PM
I agree with the above poster, one movie per series should not be that hard to do. I would imagine that filming would not take more than a three week period, which would be reasonable downtime during the standard hollywood filming season.

And as to the "owe us" argument, they owe us as much as they want to receive from us, the PAYING fans. That said, if they were not going to put time behind these movies, I would hope that at least someone would mention that they don't "have the time" to devote. Eh, w/e.

david2708
January 6th, 2009, 10:02 AM
Since the so-called movies were really two part episodes strung together(they don't know how to make a proper 2 hour film) then it shouldn't really take all that long to do.
I always thought getting the cast together again would prove difficult and i think the days of the full SG-1 team are over.

Stargate Steve
January 8th, 2009, 10:13 AM
I think we are very lucky to have had two SG-1 movies, a 3rd movie being written and an Atlantis movie also in the works. It all could have ended w/ SG-1's Unending ep. or tomorrow night's Atlantis series finale. I would rather TPTB take their time and produce good movies once every year or two instead of rushing out 2 hour eps. on DVD every few months. Universe will probably slow down the movie schedule, but that is a small price to pay for a whole new weekly series.

wkw427
January 9th, 2009, 05:15 AM
Most of the time is spend on cgi. AoT and Continuum were both filmed within two weeks but the rest was for effects

kymeric
January 11th, 2009, 06:04 PM
How could u be disappointed in wait for a new movie, we JUST got the first 2 last summer! They JUST finished up atlantis and SGU starts this summer! We get the SG1 and SGA movies next fall/spring and then another sgu season the following summer. Thats alot of stargate!

True. They put out a product that the viewers enjoyed. Now they may or may not make more of that product. They don't OWE us anything. However, in the interests of not alienating portions of their potential audience, they should show some consideration and make some sort of announcement - if only to show that they are not taking that audience for granted.

To be fair the online fans are hardly represenative of the entire fanbase. Were like .000000001 of a percent of the millions of viewers.