Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should the writers have made Atlantis slightly more "adult"?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should the writers have made Atlantis slightly more "adult"?

Thinking back over the past 5 seasons something which i think the writers really missed out on was the potential for a slightly more adult show than SG1.

Lets look at the bad guys, Goa'uld were a rather over the top melodramatic (almost comic book) kind of villian and as a result it was kind of hard to take them seriously which meant SG1 was a rather light hearted show. Compare this to the Wraith who in the first season were certainly not a comic book bad guy and could be rather intimidating at times (especially on the hive ship). They were a much darker and more dangerous kind of bad guy. Unfortunately after afew seasons they lost that edge to them which they had in season 1 (i personally think they should have been scarier and darker than they were in season 1)

Something which i personally would have liked to have seen is Stargate Atlantis as a slightly more adult show with a scarier villian aswell as more realistic violence, more adult language (not even the military personell on Atlantis swear) aswell as some more sexual situations.

It would have been really interesting if the writers decided to make Atlantis into a show which is a mixture of Stargate SG1 and Battlestar Galactica.

Does anyone else agree or am i on my own on this one?

Season 1 was, then Atlantis became SG-1 lite.
    sigpic

Comment

The only trouble with making it more adult is that it'd become like Torchwood here in the UK.It's embarrasing to watch sometimes and a series doesn't need it really.
      "I ask you, what could possibly be in my eye that would explain this"

HALLOWED ARE THE SHIPPERS!

sigpic

PROUD TO BE ENGLISH

Comment

I agree with both of you
        Stolen Kosovo
        sigpic

Comment

SGU concept details shows some influence of drama of BSG franchise.
          This would mean SGU wil get more adult.
          younger doesn't mean teens. Teens are below 18 years. Above 20 you get in the real unforgiving world with resposibilty and career moves. even more so if you are in the military in this case special ops for US airforce. More relvant to the SG franchise.

20+ year olds modern BSG humor+drama vs middlife life aktion humor RDA + SGA.

I agree SGA should have been a bit harder. But i think they seen the sucses of SG1 humor as example. That set the formula for SGA. Now they seen BSG sucses on drama. That influence SGU to.

Comment

Originally posted by Commander Aegir View Post
            The only trouble with making it more adult is that it'd become like Torchwood here in the UK.It's embarrasing to watch sometimes and a series doesn't need it really.
            I wouldn't exactly describe Torchwood as 'adult' yes is has sex and violence but it hardly deals with them in a mature fashion; more thrown in for giggles.

Anyway, I don't think adding swearing, gore, and sex would solve Atlantis' problems. Things like that are just trimming. What matters are decent plotlines and characters.
            sigpic
            Banner By JME2

Comment

I would say "adult" not in the more violence/sex way but in dealing with more mature themes.

Comment

Originally posted by Reiko View Post
                I would say "adult" not in the more violence/sex way but in dealing with more mature themes.
                I would agree with that, but I don't know how capable TPTB really is to do that without messing it up. The " slightly grittier" episodes like Common Ground are usually some of the ones I really enjoy. If they kind handle light, fun stuff well, I'm fine with that too.

The biggest problem I have is when episodes take things that should be dark and make them light and cheesy. I HATE it whenever Sheppard or McKay crack a joke right after killing someone or right after one of their friends is killed, with no more of one little "sad look" to show that they are concerned.
                "Yo, Adrian!" -Rocky in Rocky
                "That'll be the Day" -John Wayne in The Searchers

Comment

Originally posted by Reiko View Post
                  Agreed. If it had that kind of stuff in it my parents wouldn't let me watch it...

Comment

Originally posted by sblade View Post
                    Season 1 was, then Atlantis became SG-1 lite.
                    Season 1 of Atlantis was almost a carbon copy of SG-1 season 1.

Comment

Mhmm Atlantis was a bit more serious in it's first season and a bit darker then Stargate Sg1's first season. Now the Wraith aren't as scary.
                      Tst

Comment

They never were. They've always looked like men in drag, trying to make them scary just made them all the more cheesy IMO.

Comment

i'd love to see more space fights and action like Ronan's fight scenes, but I don't think there needs to be sexual situations. I do agree that the Wraith lost their intimating image though. I mean, hell, they took down the ancients

Comment

I dont live in the USA so im only guessing here but isnt Altantis given the rating of PG-13? If this is the case this is what the show could get away with without increasing their rating

PG-13 - Parents Strongly Cautioned
                            Some material may be inappropriate for children under 13.
                            May contain strong language, some explicit nudity, intense violence and/ or gore, or mild drug content

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPAA_fi...system#Ratings

Comment

Originally posted by ykickamoocow View Post
                              I dont live in the USA so im only guessing here but isnt Altantis given the rating of PG-13? If this is the case this is what the show could get away with without increasing their ratingPG-13 - Parents Strongly Cautioned Some material may be inappropriate for children under 13. May contain strong language, some explicit nudity, intense violence and/ or gore, or mild drug contenthttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPAA_fi...system#Ratings
                              Their is no PG-13 rating in US televison. The equavilent is TV-14. That said on most weeks Atlantis is given a PG a rating.
                              Originally posted by aretood2
                              Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                              X