PDA

View Full Version : The unimportance of Teyla

NIKIN
December 13th, 2008, 01:30 PM
This week I noticed something was missing, and it wasn't until Carson started his surgery that I figured it out. Until that point I hadn't noticed Teyla at all in the episode, in fact it was to the point that I didn't think she had gone offworld with the team, she was just there in the background doing nothing. Only when she was stood next to carson and was one of only two characters on screen that I actually remembered her in a kind of "oh yeah, Teyla's still in it" kind of way.

Personally I have nothing against Keller (and in fact I hated Teyla's storyline with Michael and her pregnancy) but she is getting loads of episodes this season and other characters are taking a back seat. Why are the writers no longer making use of the other characters. Not only are they not using Teyla anymore, they are putting her in such minor roles that some how I forgot she even existed.

What are the writers playing at? Seriously

Linda06
December 13th, 2008, 01:33 PM
They are soooooooooooooooooo in love with Keller and McKeller that's all they care about any more.....So apart from two or three eps this season she's been pretty much reduced to a recurring character to make way for Keller :mckay:

Half the time I barely even notice Shep :(

At least with this love triangle from hell it gave Ronon something to do but sice that's not there any more he's pretty much redundant too!

Reiko
December 13th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Seriously. When watching this episode, I was couting: "15 minutes in, and still no Teyla." :mckay:

Linda06
December 13th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Seriously. When watching this episode, I was couting: "15 minutes in, and still no Teyla." :mckay:

Yep....I was pretty much like...Where the hell is Teyla :mckay: Heck even Carson was pretty invisible until Keller got shot!

supersoldier34
December 13th, 2008, 03:24 PM
I could count the lines she had one one hand.

Hetshepsu
December 13th, 2008, 03:56 PM
I'm quite sure its probably due to her having a baby recently so not available as much anymore?!?!?!

Linda06
December 13th, 2008, 03:57 PM
JM himself mentioned on his blog that we would be seeing a lot more Teyla this season and that she would be back full time.....Yeah not seeing it yet :mckay:

Darkside_Six
December 13th, 2008, 03:58 PM
I've got to say that however much I like McKeller ***runs to cover***, the less and less use of Teyla really has become noticeable this season. Oh well, I'm fine with favouring Keller. She is hot.

Linda06
December 13th, 2008, 04:02 PM
McKeller makes me want to scrub my eyes out with brillo pads....It's the worse ship they could have ever invented.......

Teyla is way hotter than Keller and she has more class :D

Keller's like a little girl alot of the times :S

Hermiiod
December 13th, 2008, 07:15 PM
"I agree. I hate this blasted love triangle. I miss Sheppard, Teyla, and the Wraith. It makes me sad to see that the last season of SGA is becoming the worst thought out and the most poorly executed."
-Hermiod

Zamboni
December 13th, 2008, 10:21 PM
What are you all talking about? Teyla was an important part of this episode! Without her who would hold the I.V. bag and the metal pan?

Teyla is the most prominent I.V. rack since that blood spattered one featured on that last episode of ER...

FallenAngelII
December 14th, 2008, 12:57 AM
"And these are news"? Seriously, Teyla's barely been there all season because little miss Keller + her love triangle + her dating Rodney has taken over and the writers can barely write for one female character at a time, let alone two?

Amakusa
December 14th, 2008, 01:01 AM
"And these are news"? Seriously, Teyla's barely been there all season because little miss Keller + her love triangle + her dating Rodney has taken over and the writers can barely write for one female character at a time, let alone two?

I count Teyla having at least three episodes about her this season:

- the one where she's giving birth to her kid
- the one where she's trying to figure out if she's staying on the team
- the one where Michael is trying to destroy the city and she kicks him off the tower

FallenAngelII
December 14th, 2008, 01:10 AM

- the one where Michael is trying to destroy the city and she kicks him off the tower
Is this sarcasm or are you implying this is enough for a main character?

Terra Atlantus
December 14th, 2008, 01:14 AM

Don't forget The Queen.

Platschu
December 14th, 2008, 01:17 AM
I could have imagined easier Teyla as the switched body, but than they couldn't play out the McKay vs. Keller scene. ;)

What I missed is Beckett. He was there, but he had so less screentime. :o

Klenotka
December 14th, 2008, 02:37 AM
I honestly don´t know why are you bashing about Keller in this one. Yeah, she is there a lot and it damages the team. Which I do mind but I still like her character.
But Teyla was barely visible a looooong time before Keller appeared. I think since S2.
I personally don´t miss her at all but I understand that for someone who likes her is it hard. But bashing about Keller here won´t help here. It´s writers´ fault that they are not able to write any (and I mean really ANY) female character properly in this show and started to ignore Teyla after The Gift in S1.
But I think it´s easier to find some visible target like Keller. But you are right, this episode could have easily been written for Teyla.

But I personally LOVE watching McKeller cos Hewlett is hot. :D

CazzBlade
December 14th, 2008, 02:57 AM

:lol: You are very funny :P

S&R - a team ep (yes they do still occasionally exist), with if anything focus on Shep
BT - How you can say that Ronon's token episode of the season was a Teyla ep is beyond me. Teyla's story was the B story of that ep.
Prodigal - again a team ep, yes with the focus if anybody on Teyla but still a team ep

The only ep this season that was a Teyla ep was The Queen so I don't know why you missed that off your list, your argument might have held some weight then :rolleyes:

Whereas lets look at Keller:

The Seed - not Keller centric, but she was the main plot device, Teyla hasn't been a plot device in any eps this season
Tracker - Keller centric, with a side dose of Ronon and McKay
Brain Storm - McKeller - nuff said
Identity - again Keller is the plot device, this time more Keller centric than The Seed was but probably more McKay than Keller ep

One thing that is apparant from that is that when you have an ep that heavily features Keller you don't get the team :(

airrick
December 14th, 2008, 03:01 AM
Keller episodes are easier to write for.. she doesnt do anything except run away or have some major invasion of the body snatchers..

Eh.. I miss seeing Teyla BUT I think since Ronon became part of the series they are trying to split up the token alien time between the 2 of them.. in SG1 we just had Teal'c..

FallenAngelII
December 14th, 2008, 04:35 AM
Keller episodes are easier to write for.. she doesnt do anything except run away or have some major invasion of the body snatchers..

Eh.. I miss seeing Teyla BUT I think since Ronon became part of the series they are trying to split up the token alien time between the 2 of them.. in SG1 we just had Teal'c..
Yes, it is quite interesting how Jennifer-centric stories very seldom give us anything besides... umm... Jennifer. "The Seed", "Tracker", "Brain Storm", "Identity", none of these did anything further the plot of the show's main storylines.

It was just lots of Jennifer. I mean, we could ignore them all and we wouldn't really miss anything except the first date in "Brain Storm"! So we can pretend the other three didn't happen, cut out 2 minutes of footage from "Brain Storm" and insert it anywhere else and voila, we'd be short absolutely nothing.

Well, except the fact that maybe Wraith hives grow from humans, but that's pretty much it. The rest is just filler. Jennifer filler.

It's like they desperately wanted to cram more Jennifer in there, but couldn't come up with ways to connect her episodes to the real storylines of the show (unless you count McKeller as a storyline, as it's been pretty much the only long-running storyline this season).

Hermiiod
December 14th, 2008, 08:57 AM
Hear Hear!

Anon
December 14th, 2008, 09:03 AM
teyla is oh so important!

Linda06
December 14th, 2008, 09:32 AM
Well Teyla is supposed to be part of the main team..As is Ronon and Shep is supposed to be the leader of the team.....But you wouldn't think that with the way the eps have been going this season...

All TPTB seem to be focused on this season is Keller, McKay and McKeller and the rest have had to take a backseat!

maxbo
December 14th, 2008, 09:52 AM
Well Teyla is supposed to be part of the main team..As is Ronon and Shep is supposed to be the leader of the team.....But you wouldn't think that with the way the eps have been going this season...

All TPTB seem to be focused on this season is Keller, McKay and McKeller and the rest have had to take a backseat!

This heavy Keller, Rodney & McKeller focus is why this is the worst season ever for me. That title used to be held by Season 2, but now Season 2 seems like a masterpiece in comparison.

bluealien
December 14th, 2008, 09:55 AM
This heavy Keller, Rodney & McKeller focus is why this is the worst season ever for me. That title used to be held by Season 2, but now Season 2 seems like a masterpiece in comparison.

I completey agree... though I'd never go as far as seeing season 2 as a masterpiece...:p

maxbo
December 14th, 2008, 10:06 AM
I completey agree... though I'd never go as far as seeing season 2 as a masterpiece...:p

Yep, now, even Season 2 is looking good to me. :lol:

See what watching Identity has done to me? And, even though I didn't watch BS, just knowing that it's out there is enough to leave me shaking with dread.

Linda06
December 14th, 2008, 10:09 AM

It's weird this season....We get some good or great eps in S&R, The Queen and Prodigal then we get real stinkers in BS, The Shrine, Whispers, Inquisition,The lost tribe....

Ok there is way more stinkers than good eps :S

Yeah overall this is a really poor season!

maxbo
December 14th, 2008, 10:27 AM
It's weird this season....We get some good or great eps in S&R, The Queen and Prodigal then we get real stinkers in BS, The Shrine, Whispers, Inquisition,The lost tribe....

Ok there is way more stinkers than good eps :S

Yeah overall this is a really poor season!

Yeah, it's strange and unsettling to see so many stinkers mixed in with the good to great episodes. It seems as if the writers are deliberately trying to downplay most of the things that fans loved about the earlier seasons in order to give Keller a level playing field.

At the beginning of the season, I remember Mallozzi saying that they had to devote more time to developing Keller because fans didn't like her. At the time I thought he was joking, but now I realize that he wasn't.

Briangate78
December 14th, 2008, 10:28 AM
Wait, Teyla was in this ep? :p Why couldn't they have Teyla switch bodies with someone. Well Teyla did get a lot of focus for the first half, she then got Prodigal after that............ Even I have to agree with the Teyla fans. But the beginning of the season was very Teyla heavy you have to agree with me there. :)

wolverine_nl
December 14th, 2008, 10:34 AM
Teyla was in the beginning very prominent, she was turned into a wraith, she helped kill Michael. She had 4 episodes, Keller also had 4 episodes. Only the Keller ones were much more focussed on Keller.

Linda06
December 14th, 2008, 10:35 AM
Wait, Teyla was in this ep? :p Why couldn't they have Teyla switch bodies with someone. Well Teyla did get a lot of focus for the first half, she then got Prodigal after that............ Even I have to agree with the Teyla fans. But the beginning of the season was very Teyla heavy you have to agree with me there. :)

Well I wouldn't go as far as ssaying Teyla heavy but she sure as heck was seen more and actually got to talk more ;)

Heck I would have even been happy if it was Ronon who switched bodies....Could you imagine...Ronon in Neeva's body, Ronon in a females body....Now that would have been funny :p

Briangate78
December 14th, 2008, 10:39 AM
Teyla was in the beginning very prominent, she was turned into a wraith, she helped kill Michael. She had 4 episodes, Keller also had 4 episodes. Only the Keller ones were much more focussed on Keller.

Teyla had...

Search and Rescue
Broken Ties (As the entire B Story)
The Queen
The Prodigal

Keller had..

The Seed
Tracker
BrainStorm
Identity

Briangate78
December 14th, 2008, 10:40 AM
Well I wouldn't go as far as ssaying Teyla heavy but she sure as heck was seen more and actually got to talk more ;)

Heck I would have even been happy if it was Ronon who switched bodies....Could you imagine...Ronon in Neeva's body, Ronon in a females body....Now that would have been funny :p

My classic body switch was when O'neill and Teal'c switched bodies. That was hilarious

Linda06
December 14th, 2008, 10:40 AM
Teyla had...

Search and Rescue
The Queen
The Prodigal

Keller had..

The Seed
Tracker
BrainStorm
Identity

And poor Shep has had really crap eps :S

Linda06
December 14th, 2008, 10:41 AM
My classic body switch was when O'neill and Teal'c switched bodies. That was hilarious

Um :confused: heh...Yeah :o

jelgate
December 14th, 2008, 10:43 AM
Um :confused: heh...Yeah :oHoliday goldfish:PS2 SG!

Briangate78
December 14th, 2008, 10:43 AM
And poor Shep has had really crap eps :S

Sheppard had or will have..

Remnants
Ghost in the Machine (He had the closest bond to Weir)
Vegas

Mckay had..

The Shrine
BrianStorm

and people say it is the Sheppard and Mckay show? Teyla got more focused eps than these two.

Briangate78
December 14th, 2008, 10:44 AM
Holiday goldfish:PS2 SG!

LOL, thanks jel. I love when Teal'c is ready to shave O'neill's head. ha haha.

jelgate
December 14th, 2008, 10:46 AM
Sheppard had or will have..RemnantsGhost in the Machine (He had the closest bond to Weir)VegasMckay had..The ShrineBrianStormand people say it is the Sheppard and Mckay show? Teyla got more focused eps than these two.I guess we know Brian is a Sparky shipper:P

Briangate78
December 14th, 2008, 10:49 AM
I guess we know Brian is a Sparky shipper:P

Wha? I like Weir and Sheppard they were good together. As a couple I don't know.

maxbo
December 14th, 2008, 10:56 AM
Yeah, poor Teyla's role in this episode was definitely of the blink and you'll miss her variety, unfortunately.

And I agree that this season started out good for Teyla because I was satisfied with her part in the first four episodes, S&R, The Seed (even though she mysteriously disappeared before the end), Broken Ties and Daedalus Variations.

Unfortunately, things started to fall apart for her in The Ghost in the Machine (505) and it didn't pick up again until The Queen (508) and from there it's been dribs and drabs - a little bit in First Contact (510) only to disappear again for much of The Lost Tribe (511).

Teyla's only had one good episode in the second half of this season -The Prodigal and one okay episode - Infection. Knowing this group of writers, that's it for any Teyla focus, so I'm not expecting to see much of her in the last episode, which is why I'm not particularly excited about it I'm sad to say.

However, I hope I'm wrong and that the writers shock me by ending SGA on a high note - not just for Teyla, but for all the characters.

Linda06
December 14th, 2008, 11:03 AM
Holiday goldfish:PS2 SG!

Um.......

Remnants
Vegas

Mckay had..

The Shrine
BrianStorm

and people say it is the Sheppard and Mckay show? Teyla got more focused eps than these two.

GitM was crap so I rest my case :p Not seen Remnants so couldn't comment either way ;)

Well if McKay only got those two then Teyla only got The Queen and Prodigal ;) That's the same amount as Rodney ;)

Linda06
December 14th, 2008, 11:04 AM
Yeah, poor Teyla's role in this episode was definitely of the blink and you'll miss her variety, unfortunately.

And I agree that this season started out good for Teyla because I was satisfied with her part in the first four episodes, S&R, The Seed (even though she mysteriously disappeared before the end), Broken Ties and Daedalus Variations.

Unfortunately, things started to fall apart for her in The Ghost in the Machine (505) and it didn't pick up again until The Queen (508) and from there it's been dribs and drabs - a little bit in First Contact (510) only to disappear again for much of The Lost Tribe (511).

Teyla's only had one good episode in the second half of this season -The Prodigal and one okay episode - Infection. Knowing this group of writers, that's it for any Teyla focus, so I'm not expecting to see much of her in the last episode, which is why I'm not particularly excited about it I'm sad to say.

However, I hope I'm wrong and that the writers shock me by ending SGA on a high note - not just for Teyla, but for all the characters.

Ain't that the truth....This season started off so great and then when GitM came it all went to hell in a hand basket and they forgot they had Teyla there....At least she got an airing in The queen and Prodigal ;)

maxbo
December 14th, 2008, 11:45 AM
Teyla had...

Search and Rescue
The Queen
The Prodigal

Keller had..

The Seed
Tracker
BrainStorm
Identity

Remnants
Vegas

Mckay had..

The Shrine
BrianStorm

Brian, Search and Rescue was a Team episode, not a Teyla story and the B storyline is not the same as having Teyla drive the story, however, if you count those as Teyla episodes, then you would have to add The Shrine, First Contact and The Lost Tribe to Keller's count. And, you would have to add Search and Rescue, First Contact, The Lost Tribe, The Outsiders, Remnants (Woolsey had the A story and Sheppard and Rodney shared the B story) and Identity to Rodney's count.

So, using your criteria, that would be 7 episodes for Keller and 8 episodes for Rodney.

The only episode I see as distinctly Teyla's is The Queen because even though she had a lot of screen time in The Prodigal, that was more of a team episode than episodes like The Shrine, Tracker, Brainstorm and Identity.

As for Sheppard, he hasn't had an episode like Broken Ties (Ronon), The Shrine (Rodney & Keller), Tracker (Keller), The Queen (Teyla), Brainstorm (Rodney & Keller) or Identity (Rodney & Keller again) devoted to his character yet.

Vegas may be the only Sheppard-driven episode of the season and for the leading man, that's pathetic.

Pitry
December 14th, 2008, 11:58 AM
JM himself mentioned on his blog that we would be seeing a lot more Teyla this season and that she would be back full time.....Yeah not seeing it yet :mckay:

Didn't they also claim she'll be getting attention, character development and an arc in season 4? Missed that one, too.

Linda06
December 14th, 2008, 12:11 PM
Didn't they also claim she'll be getting attention, character development and an arc in season 4? Missed that one, too.

Yes they did say that......Did I fall asleep or something :S

Briangate78
December 14th, 2008, 12:30 PM
Brian, Search and Rescue was a Team episode, not a Teyla story and the B storyline is not the same as having Teyla drive the story, however, if you count those as Teyla episodes, then you would have to add The Shrine, First Contact and The Lost Tribe to Keller's count. And, you would have to add Search and Rescue, First Contact, The Lost Tribe, The Outsiders, Remnants (Woolsey had the A story and Sheppard and Rodney shared the B story) and Identity to Rodney's count.

So, using your criteria, that would be 7 episodes for Keller and 8 episodes for Rodney.

The only episode I see as distinctly Teyla's is The Queen because even though she had a lot of screen time in The Prodigal, that was more of a team episode than episodes like The Shrine, Tracker, Brainstorm and Identity.

As for Sheppard, he hasn't had an episode like Broken Ties (Ronon), The Shrine (Rodney & Keller), Tracker (Keller), The Queen (Teyla), Brainstorm (Rodney & Keller) or Identity (Rodney & Keller again) devoted to his character yet.

Vegas may be the only Sheppard-driven episode of the season and for the leading man, that's pathetic.

I have to disagree. Broken Ties was split up into two plots, one for Ronon and the other for Teyla.

As per Sheppard, he was a focus in Search and Rescue, we also got more depth into his character in Remnants, and well Vegas will be the 3rd ep to focus on his character. We also did get a lot of Sheppard in Infection, which dove into his dealings with Todd. So Sheppard has gotten something, I do agree he should of had more, but it was not a total loss. The mid-seasons were strictly plot-driven eps so you really cannot count those.

Reiko
December 14th, 2008, 02:45 PM

Keller is so easy to write for because she's ridiculously dynamic in personality that they can fit her in whereever they want for whatever role. I take that back -- she has no personality. The writing for her character is schitzophrenic.

Barryke
December 14th, 2008, 03:25 PM
Well Teyla was just irritating me (a strong, chronic dislike of whispering characters) so i don´t mind.

But yeah, the scope changed somewhat. And that´s what they have to do more often if you ask me. I find the last few episodes boring.. only story progression was Todd "possibly killed, again" and Keller-McKay which i really did not expect and thus enjoy a lot.

"If you know how its going to play, watching becomes brainmurder." - me, just now.

Amalthea
December 14th, 2008, 04:04 PM
I think Teyla is a lot like Beverly Crusher in ST:TNG; if she's not the star of the episode, there's not much for her to do anymore. The team isn't out exploring new worlds in need of her contacts, and she doesn't know that much about the city of Atlantis or Earth tech, so there's literally nothing for her to do. It's most unfortunate, but it's sadly the way it is. To put her in unrealistic situations, or illogical ones (such as being in command of Atlantis) would just draw the ire of the fans as well, so, I think the PTBs are doing the best they can with the situation they've written themselves into.

Briangate78
December 14th, 2008, 04:16 PM
I just don't understand, Teyla has had 4 solid eps focused on her. There are 6 main characters in the credits now and 20 total eps. So do the math. She is getting focus. Do you want 10 Teyla focused ep? What would that do to the balance? Any show with a pretty large cast will be lucky to get 2 or 3 eps focused on them. Teyla got 4 eps this season. I think the Sheppard fans have a bigger case than the Teyla fans. Sheppard really only had 1 this season, and with another one on the way. If you count S&R then it's 3 for Sheppard. To me this is how it looks...

Sheppard - 3 (S&R, Remnants, Vegas)
Mckay - 4 (The Shrine, Tracker, Remnants, BrainStorm)
Teyla - 4 (S&R, Broken Ties, The Queen, The Prodigal)
Keller - 3 (Tracker, Brainstorm, Identity)
Ronon - 2 (Broken Ties, Tracker)
Woolsey - 2 (Inquisition, Remnants)

A few other observations....

The Seed was a team ep, Keller was just sitting there looking all viney and still.

Multiple team eps like Ghost in the Machine and Daedalus Variations have added to the characters but are really a team episode.

Broken ties had 2 main stories. Teyla was the other story, while Ronon was the other.

Search and Rescue dove into Sheppard's character with his past and present. That intro was a very nice touch with Ford.

Tracker started the love triangle so it goes to Keller, Mckay, and Ronon.

Am I that far off here?

CazzBlade
December 14th, 2008, 04:23 PM
I just don't understand, Teyla has had 4 solid eps focused on her. There are 6 main characters in the credits now and 20 total eps. So do the math. She is getting focus. Do you want 10 Teyla focused ep? What would that do to the balance? Any show with a pretty large cast will be lucky to get 2 or 3 eps focused on them. Teyla got 4 eps this season. I think the Sheppard fans have a bigger case than the Teyla fans. Sheppard really only had 1 this season, and with another one on the way. If you count S&R then it's 3 for Sheppard. To me this is how it looks...

Sheppard - 3 (S&R, Remnants, Vegas)
Mckay - 4 (The Shrine, Tracker, Remnants, BrainStorm)
Teyla - 4 (S&R, Broken Ties, The Queen, The Prodigal)
Keller - 3 (Tracker, Brainstorm, Identity)
Ronon - 2 (Broken Ties, Tracker)
Woolsey - 2 (Inquisition, Remnants)

A few other observations....

The Seed was a team ep, Keller was just sitting there looking all viney and still.

Multiple team eps like Ghost in the Machine and Daedalus Variations have added to the characters but are really a team episode.

Broken ties had 2 main stories. Teyla was the other story, while Ronon was the other.

Search and Rescue dove into Sheppard's character with his past and present. That intro was a very nice touch with Ford.

Tracker started the love triangle so it goes to Keller, Mckay, and Ronon.

Am I that far off here?

Teyla has not had four eps focused on her, she has had one. S&R is a team ep and in no way shape or form focused on Teyla, if anyone it leaned towards Shep. BT she had the B story, I find it ridiculous that anyone could suggest that Ronon's token ep of the season was actually a Teyla ep :rolleyes:. The Queen most definately was a Teyla ep. The Prodigal was a great team ep leaning towards Teyla. In other episodes she has barely been there. That is in no way balanced.

Yes The Seed wasn't Keller centric but Keller was the main plot device, just like she was in Identity (two eps with hardly any Teyla), name an ep where Teyla was the plot device?

Briangate78
December 14th, 2008, 04:25 PM
Teyla has not had four eps focused on her, she has had one. S&R is a team ep and in no way shape or form focused on Teyla, if anyone it leaned towards Shep. BT she had the B story, I find it ridiculous that anyone could suggest that Ronon's token ep of the season was actually a Teyla ep :rolleyes:. The Queen most definately was a Teyla ep. The Prodigal was a great team ep leaning towards Teyla. In other episodes she has barely been there. That is in no way balanced.

Yes The Seed wasn't Keller centric but Keller was the main plot device, just like she was in Identity (two eps with hardly any Teyla), name an ep where Teyla was the plot device?

I'm sorry I just have to disagree. I will agree that Teyla's eps came more in the beginning of the season, and she was not around as much in the 2nd half. But as a season overall.

BTW, what do you think the title "Broken Ties" came from?

SpaceCowboy
December 14th, 2008, 04:52 PM
In my humble opinion, I don't think the issue is really about screen time. SGA has always been an ensemble driven production, so counting minutes of screen time or who is the emphasis of a particular episode is an exercise in futility and will lead to premature aging and hair loss.

I am more disappointed in the overall quality of the material that has been given to RL. Once upon a time, she had a pretty good series of character arcs that actually made a difference to the overall story arc for the show: i.e. that cool contact the Wraith thing (that has apparently just gone away now), her role as leader of her people (who apparently have now officially ceased to exist), her kick ass and take names approach to things (this disappeared with the arrival of Chewie), and even the tension created by her pregnancy, the disapperance of her people and the question of whether she was really with that loser, former Michael henchmen, what's his name?

I have stated before, and firmly believe, that TPTB have no idea how to write for a strong female character. Star Trek had this trouble too. They never really figured out how to use Tasha, Deanna or Crusher.

One would think that TPTB would want to finish this season as strong as possible so as to whet the appetites of all us SGA junkies for the coming SGA movies. Or maybe, they are planning something different. Maybe SGU is too important to give them time to think about SGA at all. Maybe they don't want all the characters to make the jump to the DVD arena. Maybe they have all checked out, revoked their Canadian citizenship and imigrated to warmer climes where they can enjoy their largesse under the palm trees.

I have been disappointed in this the final season of SGA. It has been good; but it could have been so much better.

CazzBlade
December 15th, 2008, 03:32 AM

Ronon breaking his ties, turning his back on Atlantis. Tyre breaking his ties with the Wraith.

I have stated before, and firmly believe, that TPTB have no idea how to write for a strong female character. Star Trek had this trouble too. They never really figured out how to use Tasha, Deanna or Crusher.

They got in right in Voyager though, both Janeway and Torres were great female characters. And Seven of Nine.

ziga1980
December 15th, 2008, 09:58 PM
Well, except the fact that maybe Wraith hives grow from humans, but that's pretty much it. The rest is just filler. Jennifer filler.

It's like they desperately wanted to cram more Jennifer in there, but couldn't come up with ways to connect her episodes to the real storylines of the show (unless you count McKeller as a storyline, as it's been pretty much the only long-running storyline this season).

well they did the same thing on sg-1 except it was done very well. remember all the fraiser stories? her role was never a big one, she never had lots of screen time but it was enough to make her connect with every team member and make her role in the show a vital one. not to mention that she's milf.

they could have used Keller the same way. or at least come up with some more engagements with the wraith and there she would be, giving first aid, evacuating the wounded and maybe get wounded herself to make room for our forever beloved carson.

and there is so much they could do with teyla. but they have to write her off. stupid.

FallenAngelII
December 16th, 2008, 04:53 AM
Number of episodes devoted to you =/= Amount of significant screen time

Teyla got a few episodes that focused either on her, her baby or both and then she got wallflowered for most of the rest of the season. Meanwhile, how many episode have John or Rodney been wallflowered for?

nx01a
December 16th, 2008, 02:01 PM
I'm sorry I just have to disagree. I will agree that Teyla's eps came more in the beginning of the season, and she was not around as much in the 2nd half. But as a season overall.
You mean, Teyla's episodes: Search and Rescue pt2 and The Queen? Two episodes of exposure isn't exactly what the #2 [ahem] actor on the show is paid for. If Amanda Tapping had this little to do in SG-1 season 5... I admit that she's been developing herself nicely in the background [learning Daedalus and Atlantis systems] as well as making really good comments and suggestions [Infection]. Note those words 'nicely in the background'.

Ikaros
December 20th, 2008, 01:29 PM
It is amazing that everybody understands things completely different.
Teyla's pregnacy took her role back a bit.That's what's the problem is.No ones fault, it's just happened. The woman couldn't focus on all things together,and yet she did well.
And she still has her episodes etc.
S&R was a Team episode
The Seed was a Keller focused episode
Brokes Ties was Ronon focused episode
DV was Team episode
GiTM was a Team episode
The Shrine was a Rodney focused episode
Whispers was Sheppard-Beckett episode
The Queen was aTeyla focused episode
Tracker was Keller Focused episode
First

Ikaros
December 20th, 2008, 01:33 PM
grrrrrr what now?
First contack and Lost Tribe where Team episodes.
Outsiders was a Team episode again.
Inquisition was a Woolsey focused episode.
The Prodigal was rather a Teyla focused episode.(second one)
Remnants was a Team episode again.
Brain Storm was Rodney-Keller episode
Infection was a Team episode
Identity was a Team episode again.

Sim
December 22nd, 2008, 10:16 PM
I really dislike how much they are shoving Keller down our throats.

This has too many shades of Ezri Dax from DP9 Final Season. The final season had too many episodes devoted to her so they could characterize her, but considering it WAS the final season it basically felt like she robed too much time. It doesn't help that her character was not that great anyways and was just a rehash of the early character she was replacing.

Keller has been the focus of too many episodes to quickly build her character so we could always care about her when they decide to do dramatic things. Considering that this maybe the final season this makes it all the more a kick in the teeth to long time viewers who watched the original cast from day one. Especially with Teyla because of her pushed back to being a minor character in the show. It is a disservice to the fans and the actress with the timing that this happened.

AnalogSun
December 23rd, 2008, 02:55 AM
This week I noticed something was missing, ... **snipped**

What are the writers playing at? Seriously
You are about three seasons behind the Teyla issue :D

It's sad that we don't have the Teyla of season 1 and 2. The respectable, useful, "alien" character who was enjoyable to watch. The character who was very useful to the Atlantis team and the Wraith/Pegasus story.

Her decline as a significant character followed the general decline of the Wraith collectively as characters. Teyla had become downright useless, when the Wraith neutering was written in to SGA at the end of season 3.

In summary, the writers simply haven't cared about Teyla since about season 3 onwards.

nx01a
December 27th, 2008, 10:32 AM
Teyla had...

Search and Rescue
The Queen
The Prodigal

Keller had..

The Seed
Tracker
BrainStorm
IdentityFunny how them Keller episodes revolve around her being kidnapped or taken over, or a combination of both. :P Oh, and trapped with Rodney, again.

fumblesmcstupid
December 28th, 2008, 05:22 PM
OMFG..... even the thread ABOUT the LACK of Teyla this season has Keller taking it over!!!:rolleyes:

Let's just take Tayla, Rodney, Ronon, John, Richard, Lorne, Radek, Amelia and Chuck and Run Far away from Keller! :)

Sheesh:rolleyes:

the fifth man
December 28th, 2008, 05:27 PM
OMFG..... even the thread ABOUT the LACK of Teyla this season has Keller taking it over!!!:rolleyes:

Let's just take Tayla, Rodney, Ronon, John, Richard, Lorne, Radek, Amelia and Chuck and Run Far away from Keller! :)

Sheesh:rolleyes:

It wouldn't work. Keller is everywhere.:D

fumblesmcstupid
December 28th, 2008, 05:54 PM
*bangs head against the wall* (sigh)

jelgate
December 29th, 2008, 06:21 AM
NOOOOOO

Not my prizied wall.

Its even more important then Wallpaper Emmagen:P

Linda06
December 29th, 2008, 06:31 AM
NOOOOOO

Not my prizied wall.

Its even more important then Wallpaper Emmagen:P

:lol:

aww Jel...Be quiet :p

Falcon Horus
December 29th, 2008, 01:29 PM
...name an ep where Teyla was the plot device?

The Queen

Without Teyla Todd would have had one Wraith Queen short of actually having one. She was nothing more than a tool to be used. How very convenient they had someone with Wraith DNA, and we know she's not the only one with that little gift among the Athosians. They could have used anyone, but why use a one off character when you can have Teyla who is otherwise quite useless.

Briangate78
December 29th, 2008, 07:36 PM
I think Teyla from Season 4 to 5 has gotten a lot of focus and development. She has been a major part of one of the major story arcs at hand. It started with "Missing" and ended with "The Prodigal" which in between had 8 eps heavy on Teyla. With these eps we saw her ability at hand, along with the team trying to rescue her, while she gives birth and tries to save the father of her child, and has to make a decision if she would rejoin Sheppard's team. I have been satisfied with Teyla and they have not dumbed her down, quite the opposite. It's not easy to give focus to a single character all the time. For the amount of eps she has gotten the fans, imo, should be content.

Now Keller comes along after being absent for about 4 eps in a row and people are saying the show is Keller heavy since she has been a focus for like 2 eps out of 5 for the rest of the season? :confused: I just have to disagree with that in the most respectable way.

Pandora's_Box
December 29th, 2008, 08:08 PM
Now Keller comes along after being absent for about 4 eps in a row and people are saying the show is Keller heavy since she has been a focus for like 2 eps out of 5 for the rest of the season? :confused: I just have to disagree with that in the most respectable way.

Let's not hide from the truth here. The Rodney/Jennifer story arc has been a major component of Season 5. Because of this, Jennifer has received a significant amount of development. The second half of the season was especially McKeller heavy.

No whether or not Jennifer received more development than Teyla we could argue for days, but let's at least admit that Jennifer was one half of one of the dominant arcs of the season.

fumblesmcstupid
December 30th, 2008, 12:21 AM
Briangate78,

I guess this topic really is a matter of perspective..

You don't see the lack of Teyla and that is cool, but a lot of "People" do see a real downslide of how much Teyla/Rachel has had to do in season 5 as opposed to Keller/Staite did/does.

I know as one of the "People" that do see the lack of Teyla and I get irked about how little she had to do in this season.

Whispers, Tracker, Brainfart and Vegas she was not even in. The Lost "Tribe she had a few lines (whoopee) and Inquistion was a joke. She had a little story about how to be a working mom and she had The Queen and Prodigal was about Teyla and Torren.

Yet in The Shrine,Tracker, Brainfart, Identity, The Lost Tribe, First Contact, the Seed (I know she was laying down on the job but the story was pretty much about Keller turning into a Hive ship) the increase of stories about Keller in my opinion is apparent.

You say there wasn't a lack of Tayla, I say there was *shruggs*

Briangate78
December 30th, 2008, 06:20 AM
You say there wasn't a lack of Tayla, I say there was *shruggs*

It's fine, agree to disagree. :)

Falcon Horus
December 30th, 2008, 09:46 AM
I think Teyla from Season 4 to 5 has gotten a lot of focus and development.

You really are watching a different show.

That just confirmed it.

She has been a major part of one of the major story arcs at hand.

Who the frell are you kidding there? That pathetic little thing in season 4 was the worst definition of an arc ever. It was more the kind of 'how to get rid of Teyla as fast as possible' and also 'how to wallpaper an actress without having her know she's not all that important anyway'... That was no arc, that was a collection of moments thrown in to keep the viewers happy otherwise they probably ask too many questions.

Briangate78
December 30th, 2008, 10:43 AM
You really are watching a different show.

That just confirmed it.

Who the frell are you kidding there? That pathetic little thing in season 4 was the worst definition of an arc ever. It was more the kind of 'how to get rid of Teyla as fast as possible' and also 'how to wallpaper an actress without having her know she's not all that important anyway'... That was no arc, that was a collection of moments thrown in to keep the viewers happy otherwise they probably ask too many questions.

Missing - Teyla's people are gone missing
The Seer - Teyla's is searching for her people, and asked the Seer what he knew.

Spoils of War- Teyla uses her gift to take control of a Wraith but with the help of her baby almost killing him. This was a big turning point for Teyla who still wanted to fight but realized she could not even if she wanted.

The Kindred Part 1 - All about Teyla

The Kindred part 2 - All about Teyla and the return of Carson.

The Last Man - The entire episode event was meant about what had happened if Teyla did not get rescue and Michael won. It also directed them to where Teyla was going to be held by Michael.

Search and Rescue - Who were they Searching and Rescueing? Who gave birth on the Hive Ship?

Broken Ties- Teyla was confused to whether it was right to rejoin Sheppard team, half the episode was about her decision to rejoin the team and felt left out when the team went to mount a rescue for Ronon.

The Queen - Using her abilities, she was tranformed into a Wraith to help Todd.

The Prodigal - The end of the Michael arc and Missing story arc.

Falcon Horus
December 30th, 2008, 11:00 AM
Missing - Teyla's people are gone missing

That was a side-plot. The main plot was two women hunted by aliens. And Keller stealing Teyla's limelight. But at that point in time I didn't actually care since I was just happy to see Teyla getting something do for a change.

The Seer - Teyla's is searching for her people, and asked the Seer what he knew.

Which wasn't much... and for the most part I can't really remember that episode, which only means nothing particularly interesting happened otherwise I would have remembered it, especially Teyla's part.

Spoils of War- Teyla uses her gift to take control of a Wraith but with the help of her baby almost killing him. This was a big turning point for Teyla who still wanted to fight but realized she could not even if she wanted.

No, John first tells her she's off his team and then has to crawl back because she's the only one he knows who can fly that ship. She proceeds to do her Gift-thing and by doing so, John can call her on how stupid she is for still wanting to join the team.

Very nice that one was... NOT! That could have used for more subtle writing.

The Kindred Part 1 - All about Teyla

Mmm... the first episode that is actually about her and there's actual searching done to actively find the Athosians (which have been missing far longer than Missing).

The Kindred part 2 - All about Teyla and the return of Carson.

You have that backwards... That one was about Carson-clone. Teyla was a side-story.

The Last Man - The entire episode event was meant about what had happened if Teyla did not get rescue and Michael won. It also directed them to where Teyla was going to be held by Michael.

Mmm... it looked more about what happens if Sheppard isn't there to safe the universe. Oh noes, we lost our hero, and oh yeah... btw, we lost Teyla too.

Search and Rescue - Who were they Searching and Rescueing? Who gave birth on the Hive Ship?

That wasn't about Teyla - she was the goal, but not the story.

Rodney gave birth to McKay panic attack when told to help.

Broken Ties- Teyla was confused to whether it was right to rejoin Sheppard team, half the episode was about her decision to rejoin the team and felt left out when the team went to mount a rescue for Ronon.

Yeah, Ronon's big episode... and Teyla gets the side-plot. They just as well could have done that with off-screen writing, cause we all knew already she'd be back otherwise RL wouldn't have been in the main credits. Then she'd have become recurring - which she more or less is anyway.

The Queen - Using her abilities, she was tranformed into a Wraith to help Todd.

Like I mentioned a post or so upwards - plotdevice.

The Prodigal - The end of the Michael arc and Missing story arc.

There was no arc to begin with, at least not with Teyla. Can't say Michael had an arc. I never saw it that way. I just saw a man/Wraith/hybrid tormented by what they did to him in search of revenge.

According to my sister The Prodigal showed her Teyla, the leader, the warrior, the one she was before TPTW sidelined her in favor for John, Rodney, Keller, Carter, ...

You can go on and try, but we obviously don't watch with the same set of eyes. Teyla has been neglected so badly in Atlantis, ever since The Gift. I think it's one of my longest standing complaints. I can't even tell you which Teyla I fell in love with - the one I read about in fanfiction or the one on screen in the first season or so.

CazzBlade
December 31st, 2008, 05:24 AM

I always thought they were searching and rescueing Shep/Ronon/McKay/Lorne for that ep, the search for Teyla was at the end of TLM before the building fell.

For the rest, I agree with FH :)

Briangate78
December 31st, 2008, 06:24 PM
*sigh*

You cannot please everyone. Even if they made every single ep about Teyla the other fans would be upset.

jelgate
December 31st, 2008, 06:26 PM
*sigh* You cannot please everyone. Even if they made every single ep about Teyla the other fans would be upset.The Ronon fans:P

Briangate78
December 31st, 2008, 06:29 PM
The Ronon fans:P

Ronon had like 2 eps? Teyla had 4 this season. 20% of the season, and there are 6 main characters. Not bad if you ask me.

fumblesmcstupid
December 31st, 2008, 07:35 PM
wait for it......Keller had 6 episodes! 2 more than Teyla! Sheppard had one all about him "Vegas"! I don't count Inquisition cause that is a clip show. so the "Lead" actor had even less episodes than Teyla..... *Headshake* (Cough McIcky and McGero Cough)

Mister Oragahn
January 1st, 2009, 04:45 AM
You are about three seasons behind the Teyla issue :D

It's sad that we don't have the Teyla of season 1 and 2. The respectable, useful, "alien" character who was enjoyable to watch. The character who was very useful to the Atlantis team and the Wraith/Pegasus story.

Her decline as a significant character followed the general decline of the Wraith collectively as characters. Teyla had become downright useless, when the Wraith neutering was written in to SGA at the end of season 3.

In summary, the writers simply haven't cared about Teyla since about season 3 onwards.

Actually, she never got developed much since season 1. The only difference being that in season 4, they suddenly shoved that Michael-baby arc, and she got some attention.

However, I think what you meant is that the Teyla from season 1, and eventually the first part of season 2, still had people to care for, the Athosians, there was an idea that Atlantis was a place for refugees. That pretty much faded away rapidly for Atlantis to turn into a redux of SGC with somehow prettier colours.

Any possibly good aspect of DS9, Babylon 5 and even Space 1999 were completely left out, only to focus in absurd action plots, whumping, fillers and some other pointless plots.

As for her diplomatic skills and knowledge of alien cultures, it's once again been barely used at the beginning, almost never towards the end.

SGA has been, anyway, much a farce in the way it treated characters, and I'm still amazed at how long the show's been running and how much money these guys were given.

Now imagine Straczinsky (Babylon 5), Moore (DS9, BSG), Whedon (Firefly) and Milch (Deadwood, NYPD Blues) working together, writing the characters and the Wraith...
Ouch.

nx01a
January 1st, 2009, 05:01 AM
I doubt anyone could knock the type of show that calibre of writers would deliver with the money SGA gets. The thought of a JMS Wraith story makes me scared, but in that Shadows way. :D

Briangate78
January 1st, 2009, 06:38 AM
wait for it......Keller had 6 episodes! 2 more than Teyla! Sheppard had one all about him "Vegas"! I don't count Inquisition cause that is a clip show. so the "Lead" actor had even less episodes than Teyla..... *Headshake* (Cough McIcky and McGero Cough)

How did she have 6? She had The Seed(which all she did was really lay there and played victim), Tracker, Brainstorm, and Identity. That counts as 4.

Heck, Carson had 2 this season and he is only recurring. He may even had 3 eps if you count "The Seed", where he played a very important part.

CazzBlade
January 1st, 2009, 06:43 AM
How did she have 6? She had The Seed(which all she did was really lay there and played victim), Tracker, Brainstorm, and Identity. That counts as 4.

Heck, Carson had 2 this season and he is only recurring. He may even had 3 eps if you count "The Seed", where he played a very important part.

I think fumbles was using your criteria for the four Teyla eps in asessing Keller and getting 6 for her. If you use one set of rules for one character you have to be equal and use the same for the other character.

Linda06
January 1st, 2009, 06:57 AM
*sigh*

You cannot please everyone. Even if they made every single ep about Teyla the other fans would be upset.

The first few seasons were mostly McShep and season five has turned into the McKeller show *shrugs*

Keller's had The seed, The Shrine with McKay, Tracker, Brainstorm and Identity ;)

I could have included First contact and The lost tribe too if I wanted because of this McKeller thing but I didn't :S ;)

Teyla has had The Queen and the Prodigal...S&R was about a number of things so you couldn't put that down as an ep where one member of the team is above the rest.....It was about all of them!

Ok this is how I see the eps :p

S&R - Team ep of sorts
The Seed - Keller centric
Broken ties - Ronon centric
Daedalus variations - Team ep
Ghost in the machine - Elizabeth centric
The Shrine - Rodney and keller centric
Whispers - Girly team
The Queen - Teyla/Todd centric
Tracker - Keller centric
First contact - Team (ish) ep
Lost tribe - Um not sure...One thing it wasn't was a team ep :(
Outsiders - Team ep with emphasis on Carson
Inquisition - Shep/Woolsey ep
The Prodigal - Team ep with emphasis on Teyla/Bambino
Remnants - Not watched it so can't comment :o
Brain storm - Rodney/Keller centric
Infection - Team ep
Identity - Keller/Neeva centric

That's all my opinion remember :p I don't think we're ever gonna agree :p

Briangate78
January 1st, 2009, 07:36 AM
The first few seasons were mostly McShep and season five has turned into the McKeller show *shrugs*

Keller's had The seed, The Shrine with McKay, Tracker, Brainstorm and Identity ;)

I could have included First contact and The lost tribe too if I wanted because of this McKeller thing but I didn't :S ;)

Teyla has had The Queen and the Prodigal...S&R was about a number of things so you couldn't put that down as an ep where one member of the team is above the rest.....It was about all of them!

Ok this is how I see the eps :p

S&R - Team ep of sorts
The Seed - Keller centric
Broken ties - Ronon centric
Daedalus variations - Team ep
Ghost in the machine - Elizabeth centric
The Shrine - Rodney and keller centric
Whispers - Girly team
The Queen - Teyla/Todd centric
Tracker - Keller centric
First contact - Team (ish) ep
Lost tribe - Um not sure...One thing it wasn't was a team ep :(
Outsiders - Team ep with emphasis on Carson
Inquisition - Shep/Woolsey ep
The Prodigal - Team ep with emphasis on Teyla/Bambino
Remnants - Not watched it so can't comment :o
Brain storm - Rodney/Keller centric
Infection - Team ep
Identity - Keller/Neeva centric

That's all my opinion remember :p I don't think we're ever gonna agree :p

If you say S&R was not focused on Teyla, then you have to take away The Shrine, and The Seed from Keller. Oh and Remnants was Woolsey, Sheppard, and Mckay. Keller had a 1 min scene so not much going on there with her.

Briangate78
January 1st, 2009, 07:38 AM
I think fumbles was using your criteria for the four Teyla eps in asessing Keller and getting 6 for her. If you use one set of rules for one character you have to be equal and use the same for the other character.

But the same Criteria is not being used. How does the mid-season eps fall upon being Keller centric? I just don't get that.

Linda06
January 1st, 2009, 07:42 AM
If you say S&R was not focused on Teyla, then you have to take away The Shrine, and The Seed from Keller. Oh and Remnants was Woolsey, Sheppard, and Mckay. Keller had a 1 min scene so not much going on there with her.

:mckay: *hits Brian with a fish* And here I was, sure that it would be Jel that'd get hit first with a fish in the new year :p

S&R was about a number of things, Teyla being only one apart of that ;)

Briangate78
January 1st, 2009, 07:51 AM
:mckay: *hits Brian with a fish* And here I was, sure that it would be Jel that'd get hit first with a fish in the new year :p

S&R was about a number of things, Teyla being only one apart of that ;)

I just don't get it Linda. Search and Rescue revolved around Teyla. She opened the episode up with Sheppard, had many scenes, gave birth, and had the final scene at the end. It was all around Teyla.

Broken Ties was focused on both Ronon and Teyla. I rewatched it again and Teyla has a lot of scene with Woolsey, Sheppard, and Kanaan. Trying to decide if she would return to Sheppard's team. One scene at the end with Woolsey was an excellent scene, and made me really start to really like Woolsey.

The Queen - well that is easy.

The Prodigal - That is also easy as well.

I mean, Season 4 going into Season 5 was focused on the rescue of Teyla. If that is not character centric, I don't know what is and have exhausted my brain and it will explode in T-minus 30 secs. :eek:

Linda06
January 1st, 2009, 08:04 AM
I just don't get it Linda. Search and Rescue revolved around Teyla. She opened the episode up with Sheppard, had many scenes, gave birth, and had the final scene at the end. It was all around Teyla.

Broken Ties was focused on both Ronon and Teyla. I rewatched it again and Teyla has a lot of scene with Woolsey, Sheppard, and Kanaan. Trying to decide if she would return to Sheppard's team. One scene at the end with Woolsey was an excellent scene, and made me really start to really like Woolsey.

The Queen - well that is easy.

The Prodigal - That is also easy as well.

I mean, Season 4 going into Season 5 was focused on the rescue of Teyla. If that is not character centric, I don't know what is and have exhausted my brain and it will explode in T-minus 30 secs. :eek:

The beginning of S&R was (IMO) a glimpse into Shep's feelings for Teyla and his guilt about him not being able to save his people, then it was about the others rescuing Rodney and Lorne and then Shep and Ronon, then it was about Shep's hero complex :rolleyes: Then it was about the rescue mission to free Teyla and the other Athosians if possible, then we had the birth scene...So no it wasn't all about Teyla...I grant you, she did have an intracle part of the ep but so did the others too....So it was a kinda team ep so to speak ;)

Broken ties was Ronon's ep with a littel side order of Teyla deciding to rejoin the team...

Don't see how TLT could be construed as a Teyla ep seeing as she was in it for like three seconds and she was dead :S

:eek: *runs for cover*

Falcon Horus
January 1st, 2009, 09:47 AM
I think what everybody is trying to say here, is that even though Teyla may be front and center we never learn anything new. Hell, they even get Teyla's parents all mixed up.

Every single story that remotely revolves around Teyla is always intricately woven into a Wraith tale. It's something that annoys me beyond belief. Why does a Teyla-story always have to be about the Wraith and never about Teyla? We know barely anything about her family. We know her father was taken by the Wraith and that she's the daughter of Tagan, which I assume is now her mother. But we never delved into who Teyla is, what makes her tick, what drives her? Who is this Athosian leader really?

No, whenever there's an episode that has Teyla really front and center, you can bet the Wraith aren't that far behind.

Briangate78
January 1st, 2009, 10:05 AM
I think what everybody is trying to say here, is that even though Teyla may be front and center we never learn anything new. Hell, they even get Teyla's parents all mixed up.

Every single story that remotely revolves around Teyla is always intricately woven into a Wraith tale. It's something that annoys me beyond belief. Why does a Teyla-story always have to be about the Wraith and never about Teyla? We know barely anything about her family. We know her father was taken by the Wraith and that she's the daughter of Tagan, which I assume is now her mother. But we never delved into who Teyla is, what makes her tick, what drives her? Who is this Athosian leader really?

No, whenever there's an episode that has Teyla really front and center, you can bet the Wraith aren't that far behind.

We have learned a lot about her people, her customs and ways. I know you are a huge Teyla fan and wanted more. I like Teyla alot and I feel they have given her the focus and development. I loved how Teyla went from this warrior princess/leader of her people, to a warrior who has intelligence and has been able to learn Atlantis' and Earth technology. She has become a mother and it softened her up a little bit, but still kept her passion alive.

I am curious which characters are going to be sidelined in SGU, should be interesting. Why do I bring this up? Almost every show with multiple lead characters has someone side-lined for a few eps. Some shows just totally forget about those characters, like BSG. SGA has given Teyla many eps to shine and even if she does get sidelined in a bunch of eps, the show still has other characters to focus on of course. We know more about Teyla than the lead castmember. They were finally starting to dig into his character the last couple of seasons also.

Falcon Horus
January 1st, 2009, 10:19 AM
Yes, Teyla is my favorite character but sadly I have to say I think I fell in love with the Teyla I see in fanfiction and not the one TPTW have given me. I think I can thank Rachel for making Teyla look real, but TPTW did a very bad job at writing for their characters.

If you make them up, it's only natural that you do something with them... That you make them 3D. If you don't know what to do with them, then you're doing a really bad job.

Two customs I have learned from the Athosians, all in two seasons because then they disappeared - very conveniently. The Ring Ceremony in Critical Mass (season 2) and the ceremony Halling wanted to perform in 38 Minutes in season 1.

Teyla has always been a great leader, wise and diplomatic. She didn't become intelligent. If you aren't intelligent to begin with, than the technology of the Ancients or the Earth expedition will never make sense to your simple brain.

Yup, the Teyla I see in fanfic is far better than the one on TV. That's a definite conclusion on my part. I prefer my characters well-rounded. Quite lucky actually that there's not much cannon a Teyla writer has to take into account when writing their stories... Not much one can write wrong there. Very sadly.

CazzBlade
January 1st, 2009, 04:31 PM
But the same Criteria is not being used. How does the mid-season eps fall upon being Keller centric? I just don't get that.

I don't think TLT is Keller centric (or The Seed or The Shrine) but if you're saying that S&R and Broken Ties are Keller eps, going by that then yes, all those three are Keller eps.

Briangate78
January 1st, 2009, 04:34 PM
I don't think TLT is Keller centric (or The Seed or The Shrine) but if you're saying that S&R and Broken Ties are Keller eps, going by that then yes, all those three are Keller eps.

Search and Rescue was focused on getting Teyla back, and then having her baby, and trying to escape from Michael with the husband of her child.

TLT had a few Keller scenes. She was not even a focus. How are S&R and Broken Ties Keller eps? She was hardly in those eps. :confused:

CazzBlade
January 1st, 2009, 04:38 PM
Search and Rescue was focused on getting Teyla back, and then having her baby, and trying to escape from Michael with the husband of her child.

TLT had a few Keller scenes. She was not even a focus. How are S&R and Broken Ties Keller eps? She was hardly in those eps. :confused:

Never said S&R or Broken Ties were Keller eps. You said they were Teyla eps which they are not. If they are Teyla eps then The Seed, The Shrine and TLT are Keller eps. Which they are not. IMO.

Willow'sCat
January 1st, 2009, 04:39 PM
Yes, Teyla is my favorite character but sadly I have to say I think I fell in love with the Teyla I see in fanfiction and not the one TPTW have given me. Aw, don't worry I love the Teyla in fanfic too, also the John in fanfic, not so much on the show.

Thank god for fanfic! lol :p

Thing is Teyla could have been the "Daniel" of SGA but they gave up on that pretty quick after season one.

Also I think they were pushing Weir as leader at the time (all those boring speeches, blah...) so to have Teyla be a "leader" figure as well, I just don't think TPTB could see how to write that without taking something away from Weir.

Ironically when they realised Weir wasn't working and killed her off they used Carter to fill the void, once again meaning they couldn't see their way through to writing for two strong female characters in the one show.

Then when Carson was killed they give us Keller, but at the same time as they start to really push her on us, they replace Carter with Woolsey so basically once again they side-line Teyla, as they concentrate on Keller as the main women on SGA. I mean, sorry but since when is the CMO in SGA a member of the TEAM? I saw no reason to even have Keller in most eps, Carson at least barely showed up with the TEAM unless there was a true medical emergency. Also and I digress but since when is Keller the only surgeon on Atlantis? :cool::rolleyes:

I truly think TPTB have a massive problem with writing for female characters but more over writing for more then one strong female character at a time. I don't know why, they seem able (if not always convincingly) to write strong male characters at every bloody turn. :cool:

Sadly, Teyla was the heart of Atlantis that was never to be, she was relegated to bit player amongst the boys and their toys.

I would be shocked if Teyla gets more then 10 mins screen time in the movie. :cool::rolleyes:

Briangate78
January 1st, 2009, 04:40 PM
Never said S&R or Broken Ties were Keller eps. You said they were Teyla eps which they are not. If they are Teyla eps then The Seed, The Shrine and TLT are Keller eps. Which they are not. IMO.

How can TLT be a Keller ep? The Shrine was a team ep surrounding Mckay. Everyone had their time with Rodney, even Teyla and Ronon who were there for his support as well.

Falcon Horus
January 1st, 2009, 04:42 PM
I would be shocked if Teyla gets more then 10 mins screen time in the movie. :cool::rolleyes:

I would gladly count them seconds for you. :p

CazzBlade
January 1st, 2009, 04:43 PM
How can TLT be a Keller ep? The Shrine was a team ep surrounding Mckay. Everyone had their time with Rodney, even Teyla and Ronon who were there for his support as well.

I don't think it is! But that is one of the six I belive fumbles included. She did have a big part in a lot of the scenes.

Briangate78
January 1st, 2009, 04:45 PM
I would gladly count them seconds for you. :p

I don't care about screentime. Sure the producers can put a character in the background for 40min just standing there, and then they can take a character and make them do something mind blowing and it would only amount to 2 mins of screentime. Which one would you rather have?

I'd rather have Teyla kicking Michael off the balcony of Atlantis. That to me is something more dramatic than having her in every single episode for every min.

Briangate78
January 1st, 2009, 04:45 PM
I don't think it is! But that is one of the six I belive fumbles included. She did have a big part in a lot of the scenes.

So did Sheppard.

CazzBlade
January 1st, 2009, 04:47 PM
So did Sheppard.

And? (even though I don't think he did do much in that ep personally)

Briangate78
January 1st, 2009, 04:48 PM
And? (even though I don't think he did do much in that ep personally)

Then in all fairness make every episode a Sheppard episode since he was doing something in every episode except for "Tracker" and "BrainStorm".

CazzBlade
January 1st, 2009, 04:51 PM
Then in all fairness make every episode a Sheppard episode since he was doing something in every episode except for "Tracker" and "BrainStorm".

He is the lead ;) (apparantly :rolleyes:)

Briangate78
January 1st, 2009, 04:52 PM

He is, actually. He is the O'neill of Atlantis, and Mckay is the Daniel Jackson of Atlantis. You know the amount of focus Teyla and Ronon have gotten has been right on the money, imo. People will disagree, but it is just how I feel.

Willow'sCat
January 1st, 2009, 04:55 PM
I don't care about screentime. Sure the producers can put a character in the background for 40min just standing there, and then they can take a character and make them do something mind blowing and it would only amount to 2 mins of screentime. Which one would you rather have?

I'd rather have Teyla kicking Michael off the balcony of Atlantis. That to me is something more dramatic than having her in every single episode for every min.Hmm, I prefer to see the TEAM in eps and not just have one member of the TEAM used as a plot device to finish off badly thought out story arcs... retro-virus, baby's on Atlantis.

I guarantee if TPTB had used Teyla the way they used Sam, as a valuable member of the TEAM we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Even in the dark days of SG-1, Sam to me never felt like she was just a plot device. :cool:

Briangate78
January 1st, 2009, 04:58 PM
Hmm, I prefer to see the TEAM in eps and not just have one member of the TEAM used as a plot device to finish off badly thought out story arcs... retro-virus, baby's on Atlantis.

I guarantee if TPTB had used Teyla the way they used Sam, as a valuable member of the TEAM we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Even in the dark days of SG-1, Sam to me never felt like she was just a plot device. :cool:

I guess folks here would be more happy with team eps like "Daedalus Variations" and "Search and Rescue". I don't mind the pairings of two characters, and I think they have done that well. Teyla always felt a part of Sheppard's team to me. When the four of them are not together it feels incomplete, but if they are in different parts of the galaxy doing their thing, and contributing to the episode, then it feels right.

Edit: As I said before, cannot please everyone.

fumblesmcstupid
January 1st, 2009, 05:18 PM
The lack of Teyla in season 5 is very very apparent as to how much she had to do in the episodes in Season 1-4 as a blatant change in her status on the show.

She went from a Leading role with Elizabeth to ending up being the Zalenka of the regular cast.. and IMO Keller just pushed her way to the *Shudder* leading lady part.. in the minds of TPTB..but sure as Heckfire not mine!!

I know our opinions are going to differ on this, I just feel Rachel/Teyla got pushed to the side for Keller/Staite.

Rac80
January 2nd, 2009, 07:10 AM

I must agree with you there. I have gotten so sick of Teyla always being in a wraith story...heck even with missing...nabel mentioned the wraith had her people. she was more than her dna. :P I am bothered because they let a great character disappear. I also wanted to know more about her, her journey in her life, etc...

No he isn't - McKay is. (gag)

Willow'sCat
January 2nd, 2009, 10:33 PM
No he isn't - McKay is. Yes the best actor is often given the best scripts and the most screen time, Hewlett would be that actor on SGA.;)

lunnybunny
January 3rd, 2009, 03:05 AM
Has anyone thought that maybe the fact that thereis a little less seen of teyla since the birth of torren was because rachel is now a mum (hence the whole baby storyline in the first place) and actually requested that she be cut back a bit what with being a mum and all.that wuold then make the how very male orientated especially with carter gone therefore another female needs a bit more light which would make sense to be someone already established.its what i would do

Briangate78
January 3rd, 2009, 06:53 AM
Has anyone thought that maybe the fact that thereis a little less seen of teyla since the birth of torren was because rachel is now a mum (hence the whole baby storyline in the first place) and actually requested that she be cut back a bit what with being a mum and all.that wuold then make the how very male orientated especially with carter gone therefore another female needs a bit more light which would make sense to be someone already established.its what i would do

It reminds me of when people were upset about RDA for appearing less and blaming TPTB, but in reality the man wanted to spend more time with his daughter. But because he enjoyed his role so much he stayed on for more seasons, and even made several guest apperances. I don't think he needed the money..........I mean he is Macgyver for crying out loud. :p

Linda06
January 4th, 2009, 06:58 AM

Well JM said himself a while ago that Teyla would be back fulltime this season and that we'd be seeing alot more Teyla this season...Why would he say that if Rachel asked for more time off? Why wouldn't he just tell us she requested more time for her new baby?

maxbo
January 4th, 2009, 07:49 AM
Well JM said himself a while ago that Teyla would be back fulltime this season and that we'd be seeing alot more Teyla this season...Why would he say that if Rachel asked for more time off? Why wouldn't he just tell us she requested more time for her new baby?

I agree that if Rachel had requested time off then JM would have wasted no time in letting us know this. So, no I don't believe that's the reason for their neglect of Teyla. Also, as you mentioned, before the beginning of this season he did say that Teyla would be back full-time. I believe his words were that we would be seeing a lot of Teyla.

Apparently, his definition of a lot of Teyla differs from mine, which is why I always take whatever he says with a grain of salt. Hence my lack of interest in the SGA movie with him at the helm. :(

Linda06
January 4th, 2009, 08:07 AM
I agree that if Rachel had requested time off then JM would have wasted no time in letting us know this. So, no I don't believe that's the reason for their neglect of Teyla. Also, as you mentioned, before the beginning of this season he did say that Teyla would be back full-time. I believe his words were that we would be seeing a lot of Teyla.

Apparently, his definition of a lot of Teyla differs from mine, which is why I always take whatever he says with a grain of salt. Hence my lack of interest in the SGA movie with him at the helm. :(

At this moment in time I have no intention of watching the movie...I haven't even watched Vegas yet :S The only reason i'm gonna be watching EatG is because Carter is in it!

A grain of salt? Heck I take what he says with a hanger full of salt ;)

fumblesmcstupid
January 4th, 2009, 10:09 AM
I don't believe ANYTHING the man says.....Why should we?

Jm says "NO Atlantis was not canceled due to low ratings", BW says yes!

TPTB contradict themselves ALL the time!

Yeah, so once "THEY" got Staite on the show...Rachel be damned and pushed to the sideline!:(

nx01a
January 5th, 2009, 05:49 PM
They only made the Michael/baby storyline because RL was pregnant. Consider this season a continuation of Teyla's pre-pregnancy plot pitfalls. Say that five times fast.:P

ToasterOnFire
January 5th, 2009, 07:01 PM
I'll take the third option where the character gets both screentime and development, because you can't have believable character development without also giving that character enough screentime. Sure you can have Teyla show up for 2 minutes and shove Michael off a tower while most of her story with Kanaan, her child, and the remaining Athosians magically takes place offscene. Or you could have had more screentime for Teyla leading up to that ep, show her anguish that most of her people are dead, show her smoldering rage build up toward Michael and the wraith, even show her torn between obsessive revenge and death and her child and life, then give Michael the heave-ho. I know which one I'd find more emotionally satisfying.

Briangate78
January 5th, 2009, 07:06 PM
I'll take the third option where the character gets both screentime and development, because you can't have believable character development without also giving that character enough screentime. Sure you can have Teyla show up for 2 minutes and shove Michael off a tower while most of her story with Kanaan, her child, and the remaining Athosians magically takes place offscene. Or you could have had more screentime for Teyla leading up to that ep, show her anguish that most of her people are dead, show her smoldering rage build up toward Michael and the wraith, even show her torn between obsessive revenge and death and her child and life, then give Michael the heave-ho. I know which one I'd find more emotionally satisfying.

Yeah but that episode had a lot of Teyla in it and she was doing something as well. She was in almost every scene.

fumblesmcstupid
January 5th, 2009, 07:23 PM
Yes in the episode Prodigal she was in it a lot..cool!

But what about Identity I still don't see WHY this could not have been about Teyla! I know that there are a lot of people who say that there wasn't favoritism for Staite, if there wasn't then they should have had Rachel do this episode! As it is, this is just the nail in the coffin on the side for the people like me who do see the blatant favoritism TPTB had for Staitel! As for Teyla she was a "Blink and you'll miss her" status.

I remember in seasons 1-4 she always had something to do. Now She is a lead actress whittled down to a bit part to make room for their pretty shiny new toy.

ZOMG!b_cs
January 6th, 2009, 10:09 AM
Yes in the episode Prodigal she was in it a lot..cool!

But what about Identity I still don't see WHY this could not have been about Teyla! I know that there are a lot of people who say that there wasn't favoritism for Staite, if there wasn't then they should have had Rachel do this episode! As it is, this is just the nail in the coffin on the side for the people like me who do see the blatant favoritism TPTB had for Staitel! As for Teyla she was a "Blink and you'll miss her" status.

I remember in seasons 1-4 she always had something to do. Now She is a lead actress whittled down to a bit part to make room for their pretty shiny new toy.

But why would Teyla have been in Janus' lab?

I didn't think it was the best episode of the season, but I enjoyed it anyway.

I personally like both characters (Teyla and Keller). Besides, most of the screen time was with the guest actress, not JS anyway. So, if the role had been re-written and made to fit Teyla, it wouldn't have increased RL's screentime all that much.

fumblesmcstupid
January 6th, 2009, 05:24 PM
I did not watch the episode so I don't know how it happened. All I am saying is they could have used Teyla A LOT MORE.

ToasterOnFire
January 6th, 2009, 05:33 PM
Yeah but that episode had a lot of Teyla in it and she was doing something as well. She was in almost every scene.
I find this really funny for some reason - "Teyla was in this episode A LOT! And she was DOING THINGS!!!"

fumblesmcstupid
January 6th, 2009, 05:34 PM
What things? Holding the floor down? Breathing?

Falcon Horus
January 7th, 2009, 09:13 AM
Breathing?

I hope she was. :p

Ripple in Space
January 7th, 2009, 09:26 AM
The main issue with Teyla was that Ronon ate into her niche.

I think Ben Browder put it best when he joined SG-1. He said that Sam was the technical expert & good soldier, Daniel was the master of mythology & the heart of the team, and Teal'c was the mighty alien warrior. Each were pretty much the best in their fields out of anyone featured in the show. Browder went onto say that Mitchell had been crafted into the "Unmighty Warrior," the guy who will do battle if it's right, but won't necessarily win. I imagine this was partly because the guy he replaced, Jack, previously served as the leader & seasoned tactician, a role Mitchell couldn't really fill since he had to share the leader title and he was the least seasoned member of the team.

Teyla's situation was similar. Her initial niche was the Pegasus-wise alien with superhuman physical abilities (a small statured lady that could best any experienced marine in a fist fight, in addition to many other feats). When Ronon came along he pretty much took 60% of that niche.

ToasterOnFire
January 7th, 2009, 10:46 AM
Yes, I agree that once Ronon came into the picture Teyla was redundant as a warrior, especially more so when RL became pregnant. Another thing that negatively impacted Teyla was that the two major things that defined her - the Athosians and her ability as a PG guide/negotiator - were minimally developed by TPTB. Similar to how Weir was defined as city guardian/leader, the bridge between the civilian and military sides of Atlantis, and negotiator, only to have TPTB spend minimal screentime on Atlantis exploration, civilian/military rifts, and negotiation with the PGers.

Conversely, Shep and Ronon are largely defined as action military men and there's plenty of time spent on shooting, running, fighting, and heroic suicide missions. McKay is largely defined by his intelligence and again plenty of time was spent on science and technobabble.

Reiko
January 7th, 2009, 10:53 AM
So, we have a redundant role, but is that really the problem? Teyla and Ronon have different personalities, different cultures and different backgrounds and take different approaches to things.

Surely TPTB could capitalise on that? No, that was not being snarky.

Ripple in Space
January 7th, 2009, 03:19 PM
So, we have a redundant role, but is that really the problem? Teyla and Ronon have different personalities, different cultures and different backgrounds and take different approaches to things.

Surely TPTB could capitalise on that? No, that was not being snarky.

Ideally you're right, but count Teyla's lines and compare them to Shep & McKay's. I'd guess that Ronon + Teyla's lines are less than or equal to McKay's or Shep's.

Falcon Horus
January 7th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Ideally you're right, but count Teyla's lines and compare them to Shep & McKay's. I'd guess that Ronon + Teyla's lines are less than or equal to McKay's or Shep's.

Less, much less.

Reiko
January 7th, 2009, 07:02 PM

What FH said -- much less. If I'm right even all of Ronon, Teyla, and Carson's lines combined (s2-s3) don't add up to McKay's.

Infinite-Possibilities
March 5th, 2009, 10:24 AM
I see why people felt Teyla seemed unimportant. I can see it too, even if they was supposed to be a team episode. I was hoping she'd help Ronon fight the henchmen in single (or double) combat. Since Neeva said "You do not want to challenge them" and Ronon dismissively said "We'll see". I thought the two hand to hand combat experts of the team could have had a cool duel with them at the climax. Instead the one henchman was shot. Another was fooled into evidently killing Neeva. Ronon shot the device and Teyla just held Keller down.

Falcon Horus
March 5th, 2009, 12:54 PM
And this exactly how unimportant Teyla really was in this episode:

3m13s of screentime, and a wordcount of 60 words in total.

Butlersgate
March 5th, 2009, 12:56 PM
What FH said -- much less. If I'm right even all of Ronon, Teyla, and Carson's lines combined (s2-s3) don't add up to McKay's.

yeah but that's because Mckay has the ability to speak at 500mph so if his script was only 1 line long, you would just hear a noise :P

Falcon Horus
March 5th, 2009, 01:02 PM
yeah but that's because Mckay has the ability to speak at 500mph so if his script was only 1 line long, you would just hear a noise :P

Eric Milligan (Zack Addy) doesn't have that many lines, does he? Well,you need to watch Bones to know that, and according to TPTB of that show he's a wizz at talking way too fast too. There the lines are evenly divided between the slow speakers and the rapid speakers. Why can't the same courtesy be granted to the SGA actors?

Butlersgate
March 5th, 2009, 01:06 PM
Eric Milligan (Zack Addy) doesn't have that many lines, does he? Well,you need to watch Bones to know that, and according to TPTB of that show he's a wizz at talking way too fast too. There the lines are evenly divided between the slow speakers and the rapid speakers. Why can't the same courtesy be granted to the SGA actors?

well ronan naturally doesn't speak much, but for teyla, i'm not sure.

Falcon Horus
March 5th, 2009, 01:50 PM
well ronan naturally doesn't speak much, but for teyla, i'm not sure.

Ronon gets to grunt a lot. If I counted that as words, he'd be chasing McKay. Teyla doesn't grunt and has no big lines either, or lines for that matter.

If you want to know, I have all episodes (except the last two, still working on those) documented.

jelgate
March 5th, 2009, 02:02 PM
Ronon gets to grunt a lot. If I counted that as words, he'd be chasing McKay. Teyla doesn't grunt and has no big lines either, or lines for that matter.

If you want to know, I have all episodes (except the last two, still working on those) documented.

I'll help you out

Vegas
Ronon:0
Teyla:0

Falcon Horus
March 5th, 2009, 02:08 PM
I'll help you out

Vegas
Ronon:0
Teyla:0

Mmm... that's going to be another episode done in little time. :p I do have to give it to the PTW. At least they made my job easier. :p

Linda06
March 5th, 2009, 02:39 PM
Mmm... that's going to be another episode done in little time. :p I do have to give it to the PTW. At least they made my job easier. :p

Well at least TBTB were good for something ;)

jelgate
March 5th, 2009, 02:43 PM
Well at least TBTB were good for something ;)

downgrading a good character.

Linda06
March 5th, 2009, 04:36 PM
downgrading a good character.

:rolleyes: No Jel, making little Lemmings job easier :p